Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default Tents!!....

I just thought with the knife thread, why not start a tent thread.

Anyone got any reccomendations??.........

I have got a Hammack and 1 one tent but im looking for something with abit more room...... something like a lightweight 2 or 3 person tent....... OR any other sleeping system is also welcomed.....

Some of these look quite good - http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=60







Backpacking Tents" by Nutnfancy, Part 1 -

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited by petercookie; 23-11-2009 at 01:14 PM.
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
the_count
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW UK
Posts: 314
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

I'm using one of these at the moment,Vango Banshee, its snug for 2 of you though and not much room for your pack inside although i manage, used it with my son wild camping a few times with a tarp as well gives you more space. only weighs a couple of Kg so ideal for your backpack, easy to erect and pretty cheap.



Good deal here as well......

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1
the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

looks a good tent that.... thanks for posting...... good price too..... (i have bookmarked the page).....

What i find the main problem with some tents though is the condensation build up in the morning, they dont have enough ventilation qualitys, would you say you could stay in that tent for about a week quite comfortably?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by petercookie; 23-11-2009 at 01:56 PM.
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
the_count
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW UK
Posts: 314
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercookie View Post
looks a good tent that.... thanks for posting...... good price too..... (i have bookmarked the page).....

What i find the main problem with some tents though is the condensation build up in the morning, they dont have enough ventalation qualitys, would you say you could stay in that tent for about a week quite comfortably?

Thanks for your input.
I'm impressed with the tent ventilation wise in all weathers, not had it out in snow yet but had a very cold night at the end of oct and it was fine. Planning an overnight between Chrimbo and New year in the lakes so that will be a good test !
the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_count View Post
I'm impressed with the tent ventilation wise in all weathers, not had it out in snow yet but had a very cold night at the end of oct and it was fine. Planning an overnight between Chrimbo and New year in the lakes so that will be a good test !

You sound like me mate, we dont go camping in the summer when the weather is nice, we wait till its cold and damp to test out our pieces of kit.......

well i suppose its the best way to test them though.......

Last edited by petercookie; 23-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
stickwhistler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,016
Likes: 36 (20 Posts)
Default

Quick tarp' set up.
1 min 40 seconds to make a 2 man shelter.


Not a tent, as such, but IMHO, a very useful
technique that could save somebody from the elements,
using a piece of plastic sheet, a walking stick, and a few twigs/spikes etc.

Just the job for making a quick hot drink,
and eating sarnies out of the wind too.
__________________
No Contact! : No Comment! : Do not open the door to them!
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest” : Denis Diderot (October 5, 1713 – July 31, 1784).
stickwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
tracker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,347
Likes: 4 (4 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercookie View Post
I just thought with the knife thread, why not start a tent thread.

Anyone got any reccomendations??.........

I have got a Hammack and 1 one tent but im looking for something with abit more room...... something like a lightweight 2 or 3 person tent....... OR any other sleeping system is also welcomed.....

Some of these look quite good - http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=60







Backpacking Tents" by Nutnfancy, Part 1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm4cAyjibE

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmiUvIxQ5Y

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WOqyhwZMrg
this is a good idea .

can someone possibly find a link for arctic tents ?

fully storm proof one skin tents .( arctic ) if possible .

much apreciated if you can .

tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
the_count
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW UK
Posts: 314
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
this is a good idea .

can someone possibly find a link for arctic tents ?

fully storm proof one skin tents .( arctic ) if possible .

much apreciated if you can .

You planning an expedition to the pole ?
How about a Swedish lavvu, they are canvas, very warm with the woodstove going.
Is this the kind of thing you mean ?
Please excuse my son playing around with a machete ! and i have erased his face for privacy....

the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
elixirsoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Farnborough, UK
Posts: 1,273
Likes: 10 (5 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
this is a good idea .

can someone possibly find a link for arctic tents ?

fully storm proof one skin tents .( arctic ) if possible .

much apreciated if you can .

Quite a few single skins here tracker.

You won the lottery?
__________________
Peace, Love, Unity & Respect to ALL

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert Heinlein
elixirsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickwhistler View Post
Quick tarp' set up.
1 min 40 seconds to make a 2 man shelter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZ...eature=related

Not a tent, as such, but IMHO, a very useful
technique that could save somebody from the elements,
using a piece of plastic sheet, a walking stick, and a few twigs/spikes etc.

Just the job for making a quick hot drink,
and eating sarnies out of the wind too.
Cheers man,

Looks a good way to set up a tarp that.........
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_count View Post
I'm using one of these at the moment,Vango Banshee, its snug for 2 of you though and not much room for your pack inside although i manage, used it with my son wild camping a few times with a tarp as well gives you more space. only weighs a couple of Kg so ideal for your backpack, easy to erect and pretty cheap.



Good deal here as well......

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1
These a good review page that i found earlier about the vango banshee 200 - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f.../21698/V/8/SP/

Seems quite good, Have you had any experience with the Vango banshee 300??( http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...00__2009_.html ) or the Vango spectre 200?? ( http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...nt__2009_.html )

Its just because when i was reading that review page of the banshee 200, it seemed that a few people where saying that if you are a little over 6 foot they wasnt much room ect, and that you cant really sit up in it.... Some also reccomended the other two which i have mentioned..... I am mostly considering the banshee 200 or 300......

decisions....... decisions......


Quote:
Banshee 200 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTCt4_yttoY

Vango Spectre 300: Cotswold Tent Pitching Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2Mo...om=PL&index=23
For more tent pitching videos go here - <<

Last edited by petercookie; 27-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
them
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: rural
Posts: 2,798
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
this is a good idea .

can someone possibly find a link for arctic tents ?

fully storm proof one skin tents .( arctic ) if possible .

much appreciated if you can .


Here's another arctic tent option.

__________________
All in the game yo, all in the game. Omar Little
them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
the_count
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW UK
Posts: 314
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercookie View Post
These a good review page that i found earlier about the vango banshee 200 - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f.../21698/V/8/SP/

Seems quite good, Have you had any experience with the Vango banshee 300??( http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...00__2009_.html ) or the Vango spectre 200?? ( http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...nt__2009_.html )

Its just because when i was reading that review page of the banshee 200, it seemed that a few people where saying that if you are a little over 6 foot they wasnt much room ect, and that you cant really sit up in it.... Some also reccomended the other two which i have mentioned..... I am mostly considering the banshee 200 or 300......

decisions....... decisions......


For more tent pitching videos go here - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...2EBB0ECEDB9CA5 <<
I would probably say 6ft tall and thats its limit, i am about 5'10 and i'm fine, i can sit upright just where the apex of the roof is but nowhere else.
As i see it, its got to be a trade off between pitched size/pack size and weight, if you want more room it will generally mean bigger pack size and weight,i would say its ideal for 1 man and your pack and weekend gear, 2 people and anymore than a weekend would be a struggle depending on what else your are carrying ie clothes,food, equipment, in summer months its let of a struggle for 2 as you dont mind leaving the odd thing outside (although there is a small porch big enough for a small stove and your boots)
On top of that its a good design in wind if you pitch it the right way and water resistance seems good.
Thats about all i can say, all depends on what type of activity you want to use it for, when and where etc
Good luck choosing, there's a lot of good ones out there, price is obviously going to come into it too
the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
petercookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: earth
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 2 (2 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_count View Post
I would probably say 6ft tall and thats its limit, i am about 5'10 and i'm fine, i can sit upright just where the apex of the roof is but nowhere else.
As i see it, its got to be a trade off between pitched size/pack size and weight, if you want more room it will generally mean bigger pack size and weight,i would say its ideal for 1 man and your pack and weekend gear, 2 people and anymore than a weekend would be a struggle depending on what else your are carrying ie clothes,food, equipment, in summer months its let of a struggle for 2 as you dont mind leaving the odd thing outside (although there is a small porch big enough for a small stove and your boots)
On top of that its a good design in wind if you pitch it the right way and water resistance seems good.
Thats about all i can say, all depends on what type of activity you want to use it for, when and where etc
Good luck choosing, there's a lot of good ones out there, price is obviously going to come into it too
Thanks for the advise my freind,

I made my decision the other day and bought the banshee 300 (£66). I slept in the woods lastnight and all seemed good, no condensation and with plenty of room. So far so good........ Thanks again for your advise.

Last edited by petercookie; 29-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.
petercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
jojo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,900
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_count View Post
You planning an expedition to the pole ?
How about a Swedish lavvu, they are canvas, very warm with the woodstove going.
Is this the kind of thing you mean ?
Please excuse my son playing around with a machete ! and i have erased his face for privacy....

looks perfect!
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
jonas parker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 504
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

If you own or buy a tent, practice setting it up in your back yard a few times for familiarization. In fact, a back yard "camp out" involving the whole family might be a good way to test all your gear.
__________________
"If at first you don't secede, try, try again!"
jonas parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
the_count
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW UK
Posts: 314
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercookie View Post
Thanks for the advise my freind,

I made my decision the other day and bought the banshee 300 (£66). I slept in the woods lastnight and all seemed good, no condensation and with plenty of room. So far so good........ Thanks again for your advise.
Hey no problem, glad your happy with it
the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.