Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

View Poll Results: How much food should people be storing to be safe?
Up to a week's worth 4 4.21%
Up to a month's worth 27 28.42%
Up to a year's worth 31 32.63%
One year or more (please state how many years) 33 34.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
dreamweaver

Default How much food is enough?

I stash the odd extra couple of cans or bag of pasta or rice each time I go shopping, but I get the impression that other people are storing much more than I am.

I'm also very guilty of scoffing some of my "stored" food from time to time, which is a very bad habit - I need to store them away in sealed containers, I think.

But I think the bottom line for this is: how long do people think a food shortage is likely to go on? Weeks? Months? Years? Obviously this determines exactly how much food should be stored.

So I'm throwing this one open to the floor, as I've absolutely no idea how much I should be storing. What do you think?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
theuselesseater

I think and have been telling people that they need to get between 2 & 3 weeks supply as a MINIMUM (14 to 21 days).

I did some work last year for a UK electricity distributor and they were developing contingencies of a "blackstart" scenario. That is a complete loss of power to their network area, the timescales they were talking for a complete restore of power was between 7 to 10 days.

People do tend to forget that no electricity means no petrol, no credit card payments, plus a host of other issues.

I certainly dont wanna be treking out while the masses trpple each other for the last tin of beans.

Obviously we all have different expectations on how it may play out and what will occur.

There is 6 of us in our house (4 children) and I have got about a months worth of stuff, water, tins, pasta, rice etc. I had been putting off getting stuff until the start of this year but I feel we are on the edge now.

I will continue to grab bits and pieces when I can.

One last thing, although I get strange looks from shoppers when I am on a trip, there is nothing more satisfying than preparing.

TUEater
theuselesseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuselesseater View Post
I think and have been telling people that they need to get between 2 & 3 weeks supply as a MINIMUM (14 to 21 days).

I did some work last year for a UK electricity distributor and they were developing contingencies of a "blackstart" scenario. That is a complete loss of power to their network area, the timescales they were talking for a complete restore of power was between 7 to 10 days.

People do tend to forget that no electricity means no petrol, no credit card payments, plus a host of other issues.
Ah, for that scenario I think I have enough. You're right, it's amazing how easily it all breaks down. I was living in London during the petrol strikes and it was amazing how rapidly the supermarket shelves cleared!

But some people predict a much more severe breakdown of society. I'm starting to plant my own veg, plus storing dried and tinned food. Was seeing if I'm on the right tracks.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
armoured_amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
I stash the odd extra couple of cans or bag of pasta or rice each time I go shopping, but I get the impression that other people are storing much more than I am.

I'm also very guilty of scoffing some of my "stored" food from time to time, which is a very bad habit - I need to store them away in sealed containers, I think.

But I think the bottom line for this is: how long do people think a food shortage is likely to go on? Weeks? Months? Years? Obviously this determines exactly how much food should be stored.

So I'm throwing this one open to the floor, as I've absolutely no idea how much I should be storing. What do you think?
Lmao, me too!

I have about a month's worth or thereabouts, but ideally I'd like a year's food stored away.
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
theuselesseater

Quote:
Was seeing if I'm on the right tracks.
I know how that feels....

Storing food is a lonley business around my parts it seems. My wife mentioned to her family that I had stocked up somewhat and they basically said I was a nutcase.

I have known that I needed to store up for a while, however it was only this year that I felt I really need to get started, I wish I had started before TBH.

As I said I have about a months worth, however I do feel it will get quite bad so will continue to add while my cash is still worth something, I have also started a veggie garden, hopefully I will get to store about 6 months worth before things go out.

TUEater
theuselesseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
unusual_suspect
Inactive

I have been wondering the same thing dreamweaver. Unfortunately, having no crystal ball I have no idea how bad things are likely to get and that is if they even do get that bad.

I am moving to a forest near the Welsh border in 2 weeks, and I am starting to brush up on the wild food thing, this is going to be me and my partners new hobby. One thing's for sure, I want me, my son and my partner away from a major center of population this Summer just in case.

Maybe stocking up on food and re-gaining some of the lost knowledge of what folk in this country used to eat is a good idea, especially in the Summer months, there will be healthy, vitmain rich, fresh food available. In the Autumn there will be nuts, fruits and fungi
unusual_suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
nirvana
Banned

Ive started to stock few tins now. Ive got half an allotment {sharing with a mate** but will allotments really work in a food shortage? I think they will just be raided.

Peace
nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
mv8800

Default Protein!

When society does goto crap you will still need good proteins. Tins of done is ok ant most tinned foods are carbs. Great for energy and hunger but no good for body repair. With out power you will not have frozen food like meats(unless you kill fresh). I've been buying powdered egg whites from holland and barret for about a tenner. This provides enough protein for a human and also amino acids for muscle repair and growth.
mv8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
hellosatellites
Inactive

This poll doesn't feature the option None
hellosatellites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv8800 View Post
When society does goto crap you will still need good proteins. Tins of done is ok ant most tinned foods are carbs. Great for energy and hunger but no good for body repair. With out power you will not have frozen food like meats(unless you kill fresh). I've been buying powdered egg whites from holland and barret for about a tenner. This provides enough protein for a human and also amino acids for muscle repair and growth.
It is also a good idea to stock up on dried pulses for the same reasons, it is also a very inexpensive way of stocking up on protein foods.

Last edited by unusual_suspect; 10-03-2009 at 03:35 PM.
unusual_suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosatellites View Post
This poll doesn't feature the option None
There's always one.

OK, I appreciate there are some who take the view that food hoarding is fear-mongering. It's a valid point of view but this is in the survival forum after all, so I thought most people in here would think some level of food storage is essential.

Oh, and technically speaking, you could include zero in "up to a week's worth".

Last edited by dreamweaver; 10-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.
dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
dlb2007

I started storing food after the new year. I have approx on a rationed basis enough food to keep me going for about 3 months thus far. I feel more is needed would argue that more you have the better but if you have 50 years worth of food, hey u might as well stop buying an enjoy

You do get a few funny looks when your walking around with a shoppin trolly full of tins. it is suprising though how cheap a months worth of food costs when you skip all the unneccsary luxuries. 1 Weeks worth of food normal shoppin about £80... i spent about £25 on tinned goods enough for a month.
dlb2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
scatlond

scatlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #14
dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatlond View Post
It's only a wafer-thin mint...
Old 23-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
tom bombadil

I put one or more years, and here is the reasoning;

Have enough food to sustain you (and others) for as long as it takes you to start growing your own. Now I know we dont all live on farms or small-holdings or indeed anywhere near to 'wildlife', but an awfull lot of us do.

If you have space to grow (it dont take much, see square foot gardening on the www) then you do also have space for hens and geese.

If one is willing to 'improve' their intake then one is directed to cooking from scratch. This would mean that, in the case of bread, that you might buy flour for the week, plus other bits, or flour for the month or year. Flour is cheap, but a the raw material of wheat ect and a hand mill is cheaper.

I wont go into an augument over those that also grow from this point, but as for me, I would intend to grow my own after TSHTfan. Find the land now, but grow stuff like wheat later.

This way, the raw materials are at hand. I would know how to use the equipment on a daily basis. I would know if I needed more for the year as I am also eating as I am storing. As time goes by, I can improve on my stores by including things like recipies for different breakfasts mornings that I have already tried.

It only works if you have the provisions for six months or more, but seeing as I am happy to store and use, I would buy for a year and collect and improve as time goes by. Also including new tools for the seeds that I would need for the seasons ahead.

The idea of living from tins and the like is not apealing to me but dont get me wrong, I am happy to have a tin of beans on toast with grated cheese on top at times, and indeed my cupboard is full of tins of fish, beans, toms corned beef ect. but this is not how I would carry on if I wanted to survive the S*** Hitting The fan.

The book on Square foot gardening is a must for all wishing to live for themselves rather than going to the shops for veg. For an example, for one man, you need a space that is the same as 4X12 ft. for a year. This will give you more than you need, and will enable you to freeze or dry or otherwise store your exses produce for the winter months.

Also (though not for this thread) the ability to fish or catch crabs and shrimps and lobsters and cuttlefish ect with a small boat or just with a wetsuit is something to do now, and not learn later. Being able to hunt or trap your own food is also not to be overlooked. Learn now how to prepare an animal after you have shot it. Dont trust in your mum showing you how .

One year........why not?

Tom.

Last edited by tom bombadil; 23-03-2009 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added 'stuff like wheat'
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
jonas parker

I posted this back some time ago, but it will give folks a quick and inexpensive start on a food storage program:

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46172

Now for all of you who are "prepping" for hard times remember two things:

1. Prepping is not hoarding. Hoarders are dirtbags who want to stockpile goods with a view to selling these same goods at obscene profits to people in great need when a major catastrophy occurs. Preppers are buying things to provide for their families in tough times (possibly merely a loss of employment of the major breadwinner in the family).

2. If you are prepping, DON'T TELL ANYONE! Caution your children not to say anything, even to classmates or best friends. If things go "to hell in a hand basket", you'll have every deadbeat relative and neighbor beating down your door to collect "their fair share" of what you bought and paid for out of your own pockets while they were loading up on video games and beer.
Old 23-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
rydeon

Got about 6 months supply in the loft, water, rice, oats, canned spam and other supplies.
When I get back I'll be added a dozen kilos of honey!
I advise a lot of folks to keep honey handy.
You can live off it at a pinch and use it for wounds in lieu of antibiotics.

I know what you mean about funny looks from the 'normal' shoppers who only buy for a few days. But it works out cheaper too the way food prices keep jumping up!
rydeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
dreamweaver

What about fuel for cooking? I know one survivalist guy who says he'll just build camp fires in the garden if he has to. Anyone got other ideas? Such as stocking up gas cylinders for camping stoves etc?
Old 23-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
hunter77
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
What about fuel for cooking? I know one survivalist guy who says he'll just build camp fires in the garden if he has to. Anyone got other ideas? Such as stocking up gas cylinders for camping stoves etc?
http://www.velvitoil.com/Charmake.htm
GOOD POINT i have posted a link above about making your own charcoal
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
hunter77
Premier Subscribers

i think the answer is as much as possile, you can never have enough. ive gone for a year or more, i havent quite got this much yet but iam building up to it slowly
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote