Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Electronic Harassment / Mind Control / Subliminal Programing

Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
hagbard_celine

Default Project Alpha- Hoax or Hype?

Project Alpha is the scheme by James Randi to expose what he saw as deficiencies in parapsychology investigations. He planted two illusionists in a parapsychology institute to see how far they could get pretending to have real supernatural powers, when all they were doing was stage magic. According to Randi, the scientists investigating them swallowed their claim hook, line and sinker. They declared unequivocally that this was the “real thing”. Then ,at the moment the two were presented to the world, they came clean and admitted the whole thing was a hoax. Project alpha has attained thestatus of D-Day or Trafalgar in the Skeptic community. However there’s another side to the story:

Quote:
Project Alpha
Today a reader, Travis, asked me about Project Alpha, the famous episode from the early 1980s in which superskeptic James Randi arranged for two young magicians to infiltrate a parapsychology lab in order to confound the researchers. Over the years, this strange incident has assumed almost legendary proportions in the minds of some skeptics and reporters, who claim that the researchers were totally fooled. Here, for instance, is the way the story is told in Las Vegas Style magazine, with my comments and corrections in brackets and in bold font:

By 1979 BANACHEK [one of the magicians in question, whose real name is Steve Shaw] was starting to draw national attention as a gifted performer in extra sensory perception crafts. That was also the year that McDonnell-Douglas Aircraft awarded a $500,000 grant to Washington University in St. Louis for the establishment of the McDonnell Laboratory for Psychical Research. [Incorrect - the grant was not bestowed by the corporation, but by James S. McDonnell as a private gift.] The lab was supposed to come up with evidence that things like bending a fork with your thoughts was a real thing. If the idea of spending half a million clams on fork bending seems just a little soft in the head, you're not alone. James Randi was an internationally known magician and an active investigator of paranormal claims when McDonnell-Douglas [sic] made the grant. He decided to send two young illusionists into the MacLab to debunk it. BANACHEK was one of the illusionists.

For three years [he] was subjected to every test the pros could come up with to prove he had authentic psychic powers. He bent things, burned things, moved things and knew things. He passed every test with flying colors [false - see Thalbourne's article, linked below] and at the end of the three year period the McDonnell Laboratory for Psychical Research proudly announced to the scientific community that they had the real thing in the form of BANACHEK [false - no such announcement was made]. OMNI Magazine did a spread on BANACHEK. Discover Magazine said "...his demonstrations were just phenomenal." Even the National Enquirer called him a "Prodigy. Nobody like him in his field."

Mid bow for the McDonnell folks James Randi drops his bomb that BANACHEK had been working for him for the past three years and what's more everything he did was an illusion. Remember? Illusions are ideas creating misleading appearances. And mislead BANACHEK did. You know you have a major coup in your pocket when you sting the National Enquirer. [Really?] The guys at the Laboratory for Psychical [Research] were crushed. [False - they had already suspected Shaw and his partner of fraud, and had dismissed them both more than a year earlier.]

I guess Las Vegas Style subscribes to the motto "print the legend." The actual facts behind this case are thoroughly presented in a paper I found online in PDF (Adobe) form: "Science Versus Showmanship: A History of the Randi Hoax," by Michael A. Thalbourne.

Originally I had thought of summarizing this article, but there's no need to do so because it speaks for itself. Thalbourne, who was a participant in some of the events, writes in a straightforward, engaging style and lays out the key facts and timeline in the clearest possible way.
The case is also covered, in less detail, by John Beloff in Parapsychology: A Concise History.

As both Beloff's and Thalbourne's accounts make clear, there is much less to Project Alpha than its cheerleaders would have us believe. Regardless of what the National Enquirer may have said, the researchers never publicly committed themselves to the view that the phenomena they observed were genuine. They remained properly cautious in their published remarks. Indeed, they privately came to the conclusion that the two test subjects were not worth studying any further, and politely terminated the experiments. Even so, Randi had the chutzpah to hold a press conference claiming that the lab had been successfully duped - a story that is repeated to this day.

To nail down this point, I direct your attention to the appendix that follows the bibliography in Thalbourne's paper, where the published conclusions of the researchers are reproduced. This document is dated September 1, 1981, more than one year before Randi's January, 1983, press conference exposing the hoax. Regarding the test subject Mike Edwards (Shaw's partner in trickery), the researchers write:
The outcome of this research is suggestive of psychokinesis but inconclusive, due to its exploratory nature ... ordinary explanations exist for these effects, given the conditions under which they have been observed. Thus, although several events of interest have transpired, we do not claim that evidence conclusive of "psychic ability" has yet been demonstrated in our research. [Emphasis added] [Thalborne article: http://www.aiprinc.org/para-c05_Thalbourne_1995.pdf Source: http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/m...ect_alpha.html

So Skeptics like Randi, the self-styled fraud-buster, are not above a little deception themselves. It’s something to bear in mind if you ever apply for the $Million Challenge.

"Because he refused to compete in games for domination he was indomitable."
from The Dispossessed by Ursula le Guin
hagbard_celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
hagbard_celine

Bump. This has become relevant to this thread: http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135444

Old 22-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
mcburney

Interesting..James Randi is evangelically skeptical in his approach..
mcburney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
hagbard_celine

There used to be a video (Can't find it now) where the brilliant Rupert Sheldrake explains how he refuses to work with Randi because Randi misrepresented him and published misleading information about one of Sheldrake's conclusions and defamatory remarks about his work. Sheldrake said in the vid: "I don't mind working with Chris French, and I do, but I want nothing to do with Randi because he's a liar!"

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
hagbard_celine

Here it is: