Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 30-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
samsonnait

Default How to dehydrate food

Hi all, most veggies and fruit can be dried at 60 degrees celcius or 135 Fahrenheit in one day. Youll find it in this link (scroll down)http://www.seasoned.com/Article/1841_1
In the next link youll find a solar heater you can build from scrap, and that will do the job. http://www.de12ambachten.nl/beter1x1.html
Its in Dutch but the picture (the first if you scroll down a bit) explains itself. (or use a translator)

If things get as bad as some of us think, this is very helpful knowledge.
Banana chips and apple chips are very tasty anyway.

Id like 2 suggest you built an solar oven and practice.
Have fun and keep us informed.

There is no problem that cant be solved.
samsonnait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
endlessvista
Inactive

Problem is that in a British and Irish climate it is very hard to dehydrate foods. You nearly need to construct a special facility and the cost of heating and de-humidifying will just not be worth it.

Canning, preserving and turning it into booze is perhaps the best option for this part of the world.
endlessvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
samsonnait

All it takes is a sunny day! They might be rare those sunny days but dehydrated food is perfect food.
There is no electric power needed.
I think you should (re)consider.

A solar oven costs close to nothing, the second picture in the link is for the tropics.

Dried food is just as healthy as frozen food but you dont need electrical power for it.

You have instant coffee, instant soup.
All it takes is 12 hours in 60 degrees, but even if you leave it for 12 weeks in 60 degrees.
The food is still (almost) as good as fresh.

Strawberryfields forever

Last edited by samsonnait; 30-01-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 30-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
the_count

Talking

Dried meat is good, yum
No good for you veggie freaks i know
Its easy to make your own beef jerky, and its damn good !
Easy to do, slice beef into thin strips ( i use shin beef its cheaper but good)
marinade overnight in your favorite sauce, an easy tasty one is soy sauce, honey, bit of tabasco.
The next day sprinke with a few sesame seeds, hang strips of beef on a wooden skewer, then hang the skewer on the rack in your oven, put baking sheet on bottom to catch drips. Leave on lowest heat with oven door ajar(i put a towel in between door to keep open by a few inches) leave for about 3 hours and there you go. Make sure any fat has completely dried out.
Keeps for ages as well in an airtight container.
A tasty snack for camping trips
the_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
samsonnait

that sounds so tasty (the count) whats the temperature of the oven?
And if youd go lower would it still work but slower?

In other types of solar ovens you can bake bread. (170 Celsius) But the one i suggested here is just ment to drie food. It works fine up to 90 degrees celcius halfway Norway. You have to workout the airflow, but 60 degrees is easy to reach on any sunny day, with a air temp above 20 degrees.
Old 30-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
the_count

Leave the oven on the lowest possible heat setting, mines electric, if gas just enough to keep the flame. You dont want to cook it, you just want the dry warm air, mines a fan oven as well which helps.
I have tried this outdoors in the summer over a dying fire too with good results, you need some netting or similar though to keep the flies away.
Old 30-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
samsonnait

Ive tried and dried mushrooms but didnt dare 2 do it with meat. ill give it try one's im sure im able to keep my oven clean. Wrap the meat in honey and peppers is without risk (according to my nose)

Im looking forward to a sunny day!

Check the solaroven. Practice. I remember the taste of dried beef from someone i knew (ages ago) from Yoegoslavia. The meat melted on your tongue...

Dried food was common 20 years ago. But you wont find it 2day in any common supermarket is it? (Except for the mached potatopowder) Some words are a braindrain to translate.
Old 30-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
jonas parker

I bought my wife an electric food dehydrator last year. She dried a load of beef jerky, as well as carrots, onions, peppers, tomatos, corn and herbs. All keeps well in canning jars without refrigeration. The next project is dehydrating cheese.
Old 30-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
samsonnait

We make cheese to save milk. 10 litres milk turn into 1 litre (kilo) cheese. That can be stored for a year (or so)
1 kilo cheese turns into 100 grams powdercheese that can be stored for ages.

There is more then you can eat to be found in every street during the summer.
Dry some of it for a rainy or freezing day, and your on your way.

This is a survival threat aint it?
Srry for my poor english every ones and awile, but this is more important then all of you re all eyes. To save and prepare food.
Old 30-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
ratiocinator
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_count View Post
Dried meat is good, yum
No good for you veggie freaks i know
It's no good for you, too. Watch this video, and then say it's 'good':

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...15735687284929

In a survival situation, where medical help is afar, it is paramount to eat as healthy a diet as possible in order to prevent illness and disease. This means that meat is definitely a bad idea. It is also inadvisable to eat anything that has been cooked.

When dehydrating foods, be careful not to overheat them. If they are overheated all of the enzymes will be destroyed forcing your body to create its own enzymes, which is an arduous process and bad for health.

Dehydrators can be made using any of various DIY designs, even using lightbulbs to provide the heat. However, it is hard to regulate the temperature using homemade bodge-ups, unless you really know what you are doing.

I was lazy and bought an Excalibur 9-tray for 200 pounds:

ratiocinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
samsonnait

While half of our population is starving, the other half is throwing 70 % of its food in garbadge trash can.
1 in 2 is starving from hunger. Lets solve and evolve.
For what ive seen in Gaza
its very clear whats the plan...
Explain it 2 your kids. NOT ME.
It s Your kids your killing, without knowing...
Old 30-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
samsonnait

Please repost whenever you feel like it.
Fact and forgotten is that it only takes 60 degrees celcuis. To dry our food safe and sure 4 ever. Meat wheet whatever.
The other half is rare but more then worth a check out here.
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product357.asp

I can give you other links but this is the cheapest.
35 bucks for clean water for at least a year.

Learn to dry food
and you can backpack all your life.
just add water

With love and light and doin allright.
But the zero bucks are killin me.
Who goes first?

Last edited by samsonnait; 30-01-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
the_count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratiocinator View Post
It's no good for you, too. Watch this video, and then say it's 'good':

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...15735687284929

In a survival situation, where medical help is afar, it is paramount to eat as healthy a diet as possible in order to prevent illness and disease. This means that meat is definitely a bad idea. It is also inadvisable to eat anything that has been cooked.

When dehydrating foods, be careful not to overheat them. If they are overheated all of the enzymes will be destroyed forcing your body to create its own enzymes, which is an arduous process and bad for health.

Dehydrators can be made using any of various DIY designs, even using lightbulbs to provide the heat. However, it is hard to regulate the temperature using homemade bodge-ups, unless you really know what you are doing.

I was lazy and bought an Excalibur 9-tray for 200 pounds:

I was talking in moderation and not particularly a survival situation, beef jerky is a good source of protein, and because its dried it very low in saturated fat.
I wouldnt live off the stuff, and in as you say a survival situation, it would be extremely hard for anyone unprepared or with a good knowledge of foreging to eat a healthy balanced diet. Beef jerky has been eaten for probably hundreds of years by travelers, pioneers etc as a handy tasty snack.
The whole is meat good or bad for you is a whole other issue.
I believe it has its place in a balanced diet.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
ratiocinator
Inactive

Quote:
I was talking in moderation and not particularly a survival situation,
Moderation is an excuse many use to partake of filth and poison. What does moderation mean when discussing something that has no place in the human diet? How about drinking fluoridated water in moderation or eating aspartame foods in moderation?

Quote:
beef jerky is a good source of protein, and because its dried it very low in saturated fat.
It is a good source of protein, but not dietary protein. The protein we need to eat is safe plant protein. Animal protein is too rich and causes calcium loss. They are digging up Eskimo remains from hundreds of years ago with powdery bones caused by osteoporosis caused by eating meat. Meat is not a safe thing to eat, period.

Quote:
I wouldnt live off the stuff, and in as you say a survival situation, it would be extremely hard for anyone unprepared or with a good knowledge of foreging to eat a healthy balanced diet.
Which is why we have this forum in order to learn, gain knowledge, and prepare. The ignorant peasants, following a world-altering disaster, will reach for the nearest shotgun and go out shooting anything that moves. They will feed as savages on health-destroying filth. We have the opportunity to learn how to really do things and which foods are best for our digestive system and health.

Quote:
Beef jerky has been eaten for probably hundreds of years by travelers, pioneers etc as a handy tasty snack.
If you are trying to use this to argue for its safety and suitability as a food, then you have failed. It means nothing other than people have been making foolish dietary decisions for a long time.

Quote:
The whole is meat good or bad for you is a whole other issue.
I believe it has its place in a balanced diet.
What do you think a balanced diet is? The crap they indoctrinated us in school with has no place in reality. I mean that idiotic food triangle introduced by the FDA in the 50's in order to boost meat and milk sales for the industry. That chart was made by business people and marketers, not nutritionists who care for your health.

A balanced diet consists of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. If you eat meat then you create imbalance which leads to health problems. The fact that meat causes massive calcium loss is just one aspect of its harm. It has a proven and very close relationship with the formation and propagation of malignant tumours, as well as innumerable other diseases.
Old 31-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
the_count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratiocinator View Post
Moderation is an excuse many use to partake of filth and poison. What does moderation mean when discussing something that has no place in the human diet? How about drinking fluoridated water in moderation or eating aspartame foods in moderation?

Thats twisting what i said, you cant compare meat to fluoride and aspartame surely.

It is a good source of protein, but not dietary protein. The protein we need to eat is safe plant protein. Animal protein is too rich and causes calcium loss. They are digging up Eskimo remains from hundreds of years ago with powdery bones caused by osteoporosis caused by eating meat. Meat is not a safe thing to eat, period.

I though eskimo had what was considered a healthy diet of mainly oily fish, still i'm no expert, how do the "experts" know the osteoporosis was caused by eating meat ?

Which is why we have this forum in order to learn, gain knowledge, and prepare. The ignorant peasants, following a world-altering disaster, will reach for the nearest shotgun and go out shooting anything that moves. They will feed as savages on health-destroying filth. We have the opportunity to learn how to really do things and which foods are best for our digestive system and health.

Can't argue with that

If you are trying to use this to argue for its safety and suitability as a food, then you have failed. It means nothing other than people have been making foolish dietary decisions for a long time.

I'm not trying to argue, however i dont belive that eating lean meat every now and then will do you any long term harm.

What do you think a balanced diet is? The crap they indoctrinated us in school with has no place in reality. I mean that idiotic food triangle introduced by the FDA in the 50's in order to boost meat and milk sales for the industry. That chart was made by business people and marketers, not nutritionists who care for your health.

I never mentioned any of that, so dont try and put words into my mouth.

A balanced diet consists of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. If you eat meat then you create imbalance which leads to health problems. The fact that meat causes massive calcium loss is just one aspect of its harm. It has a proven and very close relationship with the formation and propagation of malignant tumours, as well as innumerable other diseases.
I eat plenty of fruit and veg and aim to be growing some myself this year.
I also eat hemp and pumpkin seeds, other mixed seeds and nuts too.
I also eat meat.
I'm 40 years old and as healthy as i've ever been, i teach my children the benefit of a healthy diet and exercise.

Your obviously passionate and well read on this subject, i will watch the video when i have more time, i'm off for a bike ride with the kids.

However i'm not stupid, so please don't preach to me.

I'm guessing your vegen ?
Old 31-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
ratiocinator
Inactive

Quote:
Thats twisting what i said, you cant compare meat to fluoride and aspartame surely.
It is not twisting your words. I was making a point and trying to put things into perspective. It really is that bad.

Quote:
I though eskimo had what was considered a healthy diet of mainly oily fish, still i'm no expert, how do the "experts" know the osteoporosis was caused by eating meat ?
It is just a myth used by the pro-meat propagandists that Eskimos (prior to them finding booze and satellite television) were these fit, strong, chaps who lived forever. They had short lives and were disease prone:

https://www.msu.edu/~corcora5/food/vegan/osteo.html

“Introduction: Northern Eskimos (Inupiaq) undergo
an early onset of bone loss at approximately twice
the rate of similar age-related bone loss in southern
Eskimos (Yupik and Sugpiaq) and in U.S. White
populations (i). A high frequency of collapsed
vertebrae and thin bone cortices are observed in
living and dead Eskimo skeletons (i). These conditions
have been identified in Eskimo skeletons
from the U.S.S.R., Alaska, Canada, and Greenland
and in Eskimo remains as old as 2,000 years.
Greenland Eskimos show the thinnest bone cortices
and the highest frequencies of compressed vertebrae
compared with other Inupiaq and Yupik Eskimos,
thus making this an excellent population model for
the investigation of the etiology of osteoporosis.”

http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ext.pdf?page=1

Last edited by ratiocinator; 31-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 31-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
ratiocinator
Inactive

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, however i dont belive that eating lean meat every now and then will do you any long term harm.
There is no such thing as lean meat. Fat and cholesterol is intertwined with the muscle strands in the flesh. Consuming high saturated fat and cholesterol is unavoidable when consuming dead flesh.

This is discussed in the video.

Quote:
I never mentioned any of that, so dont try and put words into my mouth.
You may not have mentioned it but that is what you are thinking. It is clear that you believe meat to be part of a balanced diet. It is most likely that this erroneous thinking is the result of mendacious education based on what the corrupt government departments told the schools, etcetera, to teach. This means the food pyramid, as designed by meat industry marketers.

Quote:
I'm 40 years old and as healthy as i've ever been, i teach my children the benefit of a healthy diet and exercise.
If you want to sustain your health for the next forty years then get rid of the meat. There is nothing in meat which you need that cannot be gained from plants. It has no place in the human diet. I am glad you seem receptive, especially as you have progeny to care for, because most people’s idea of a healthy diet is completely wrong and based on years of exposure to television, magazine, and billboard advertising campaigns. The optimum diet consists of raw plants; fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. That is it. Anything else is not a true food and will likely prove bad for long term health.

Please do watch the video as the physician giving the presentation in it does a very good, eloquent job of clearly presenting the information in an unbiased, straight to the point way. I could recommend many others, but for now I will just make one other suggestion:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...r.+doug+graham

Last edited by ratiocinator; 31-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
samsonnait

What Ratiocinator writes about overheating is very correct!
But if you keep the oven below 60 C it doesnt matter how long youll dry your food.

Nice machine that Excalibur 9, but it wont work when the power is turned off...

Lets hope for the best, but get ready for the worst.

Dehydrating food is fun anyway, and might be a very usefull skill one day.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
ratiocinator
Inactive

60 degrees Celsius is a little high. Enzymes die off after around 110 F, which is around 47 C.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
samsonnait

47 C makes it even more easy to dry food on a sunny day.