Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 23-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
tinmenace

Default Being There - The movie

Great movie from 1979 with Peter Sellers. A delightful tale....but it all comes together in the final 10 minutes of the pallbearers are talking about a replacement for President. They approach a pyramid-like mausoleum with the all-seeing-eye in which the casket will lie. They decide that Chauncey will be president (even though he's a simpleton, not as bad as GWB, but close).

The stunning thing about this is that the screenplay was written by Jerzy Kosiński who was married to Mary Hayward Weir from Indianapolis (stay tuned for my post on InDIANA) and committed suicide in 1991.

The movie was directed by Hal Ashby who spiraled downward with a massive drug addiction after the movie was made. He became reclusive and eccentric and wouldn't even eat in front of people. After his death, actor Bruce Dern said, "What happened to Hal Ashby, both what he did to himself and what THEY did to him, was as repulsive as anything I've seen in my forty years of the industry".

They who? We all know don't we?

~~~~~~~~~~

"Only if you've actually seen the film do you realize that it's not a Jesus allegory at all. Chance can walk on water because nobody ever told him he couldn't, not because he's the resurrection of Christ."

Why the Film was Released with Two Different Endings

Hal always wanted to use a series of outtakes for the final credits. Obviously that's one of the things you have to do at the last minute, because until the final edit is locked down you don't know what the outtakes are. So Hal handed in the film with the TV commercial ending just to get the film in on deadline, then got to work on the outtakes ending.
When he tried to hand it in, the studio refused to accept it or send it out. The film opened small, to just a half dozen theaters. Hal personally went to each theater, went to the projection booth, knocked on the door and said to the projectionist "Hi, I'm Hal Ashby, the director of the film. The studio put in the wrong ending, but I've got the right one with me. How about if we edit it in?" The projectionists were all thrilled to meet him and gladly helped him out.
When the studio found out, they got the last laugh. Hal's contract specifically stated that he was to be paid his director's fee "upon proper delivery of a completed film." They didn't consider receiving a film with two endings "proper delivery," and they used that as an excuse not to pay him. Ten years later, when I first met Hal, he still hadn't gotten paid for directing Being There.

"Life is a state of mind"

http://www.dareland.com/lastshot.htm

Coincidentally, Richard Basehart the same fella that read the poetry by Pindar at the 1984 Olympic Closing Ceremony (see UFO category) is in the movie also.

Here's the trailer:

Fascinating stuff!
tinmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
thoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmenace View Post
Great movie from 1979 with Peter Sellers. A delightful tale....but it all comes together in the final 10 minutes of the pallbearers are talking about a replacement for President. They approach a pyramid-like mausoleum with the all-seeing-eye in which the casket will lie. They decide that Chauncey will be president (even though he's a simpleton, not as bad as GWB, but close).

The stunning thing about this is that the screenplay was written by Jerzy Kosiński who was married to Mary Hayward Weir from Indianapolis (stay tuned for my post on InDIANA) and committed suicide in 1991.

The movie was directed by Hal Ashby who spiraled downward with a massive drug addiction after the movie was made. He became reclusive and eccentric and wouldn't even eat in front of people. After his death, actor Bruce Dern said, "What happened to Hal Ashby, both what he did to himself and what THEY did to him, was as repulsive as anything I've seen in my forty years of the industry".

They who? We all know don't we?

~~~~~~~~~~

"Only if you've actually seen the film do you realize that it's not a Jesus allegory at all. Chance can walk on water because nobody ever told him he couldn't, not because he's the resurrection of Christ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

Why the Film was Released with Two Different Endings

Hal always wanted to use a series of outtakes for the final credits. Obviously that's one of the things you have to do at the last minute, because until the final edit is locked down you don't know what the outtakes are. So Hal handed in the film with the TV commercial ending just to get the film in on deadline, then got to work on the outtakes ending.
When he tried to hand it in, the studio refused to accept it or send it out. The film opened small, to just a half dozen theaters. Hal personally went to each theater, went to the projection booth, knocked on the door and said to the projectionist "Hi, I'm Hal Ashby, the director of the film. The studio put in the wrong ending, but I've got the right one with me. How about if we edit it in?" The projectionists were all thrilled to meet him and gladly helped him out.
When the studio found out, they got the last laugh. Hal's contract specifically stated that he was to be paid his director's fee "upon proper delivery of a completed film." They didn't consider receiving a film with two endings "proper delivery," and they used that as an excuse not to pay him. Ten years later, when I first met Hal, he still hadn't gotten paid for directing Being There.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-jmXo_Sgc8 "Life is a state of mind"

http://www.dareland.com/lastshot.htm

Coincidentally, Richard Basehart the same fella that read the poetry by Pindar at the 1984 Olympic Closing Ceremony (see UFO category) is in the movie also.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYLy1Yj_P_Q

Fascinating stuff!

Let me know about the InDIANA post.
"We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us."
Albert Einstein, 1954

http://www.thoth.spiritual-nature.com/
thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
thoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
Let me know about the InDIANA post.
Pindar and 1984 eh? Sounds fishy!
"We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us."
Albert Einstein, 1954

http://www.thoth.spiritual-nature.com/
thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
tru3

Quote:
well, that's true, look at him when he stoops down and puts his umbrella in the water. but he does pause; he just doesn't question his experience.

the key to the movie for me anyway was the scene where he leaves his home for the last time and finaly meets shirley maclaine. i won't give it away, but this is prapatti, a falling forward into life, in the classic mystical sense.

President "Bobby": Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
[Long pause]
Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
President "Bobby": In the garden.
Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
President "Bobby": Spring and summer.
Chance the Gardener: Yes.
President "Bobby": Then fall and winter.
Chance the Gardener: Yes.
Benjamin Rand: I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we're upset by the seasons of our economy.
Chance the Gardener: Yes! There will be growth in the spring!
Benjamin Rand: Hmm!
Chance the Gardener: Hmm!
President "Bobby": Hm. Well, Mr. Gardner, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.
[Benjamin Rand applauds]
President "Bobby": I admire your good, solid sense. That's precisely what we lack on Capitol Hill.

chaunce has no belief. it's the president and pals that get ensnared with theirs. brilliant!

"i like to watch."

Last edited by tru3; 23-03-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add quote
tru3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
tinmenace

Hey Thoth, yes I'm working on it. I want it to be a good one, so I write a bit every night after work, and gather images. Thanks for your input by the way!
Here's the link to the UFO thread.

Hiya Tru3, yes just a spectacular movie. I loved it.

Last edited by tinmenace; 23-03-2007 at 10:36 PM.
tinmenace is offline   Reply With Quote