Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
Banned

Default Hastings pier destroyed by fire

Firefighters with eight fire engines were trying to extinguish the blaze, the fire service said. There were no reports of any injuries.

The pier was owned by Panamanian-registered company Ravenclaw.
The fire, which was reported at around 1am, destroyed 95 per cent of the historic pier, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said.

Sussex Police said two males were detained and were being questioned about the cause of the fire on the pier, which has been closed since 2006.

Campaigners in Hastings have been trying to raise money and support to see the pier refurbished with modern attractions.

Designed by Eugenius Birch, it opened in 1872 and was originally 910ft long.

Simon Rose, spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, said: "It's still a major blaze. There's about 60 firefighters dealing with the blaze.

"At the moment about 95 per cent of the structure has been destroyed. It's quite significant."

On a "Save Hastings Pier!" Facebook page, members reacted with shock to the blaze.

Robbie Clark wrote "it's so wrong!", while Martyn Reed, from Hastings, added "can't believe the pier's been burnt down!!!!"

Dale Turner, who runs the Seaspray bed and breakfast opposite the pier, attacked authorities for failing to get a compulsory purchase order through.

"This is the sort of thing people were worried about," the 55-year-old said.

"The pier had been allowed to fall into ruin and now we may never get it back.

Last edited by 91181; 05-10-2010 at 07:48 AM.
91181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
luten2012

What is it with Piers burning down? I live in Weston-super-Mare and our Pier burned down in 2008 and has done twice before over the last hundred years
luten2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luten2012 View Post
What is it with Piers burning down? I live in Weston-super-Mare and our Pier burned down in 2008 and has done twice before over the last hundred years

I think they watnted this peir gone, im part of Hastings save the pier group and its a complete joke how they let the most popular attraction on the sea front crumble.. It only needed 3 m to fix up, god knows how much the new Asda and tesco cost , seems there is money for somes things and not others..

Last edited by 91181; 05-10-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
luten2012

Have they announced it as an accident? They've always said that about Weston's Pier but it was a blatant insurance job
luten2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
passing
Inactive

RIP Hastings Pier. I enjoyed one night in your terrible nightclub.
passing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Have they announced it as an accident? They've always said that about Weston's Pier but it was a blatant insurance job

They say they are investigatin andhave detained two local scallywags for questioning. Its mad how the fire took hold though,concidering its been raining for 3 days ,i was watching it happen from my bedroom window and was amazed how it spread..
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
geezer661
Banned

Most likely a scruffy chav that's got no repect for anyone that's done it
geezer661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
infinite tea
Inactive

Ravenclaw - what sort of name's that for a company lol. Wonder if they owned Brighton pier too.
infinite tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
smithers jones

What is it with Piers burning down? Couldn't possibly be that certain people are recruited due to their fascination with fire and bunged a few quid to help thing's along.I wouldn't be surprised if they were caught acting as bystanders watching the firemen putting out their handy work.
smithers jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
the white knight

"What is it with Piers burning down"

I think it has something to do about them being made of wood
the white knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers jones View Post
What is it with Piers burning down? Couldn't possibly be that certain people are recruited due to their fascination with fire and bunged a few quid to help thing's along.I wouldn't be surprised if they were caught acting as bystanders watching the firemen putting out their handy work.

Two months ago the cpo process was started to transfer ownership of the pier into the hands of the Hastings trust. In the 4 years Ravenclaw owned the pier they done sod all accept close it down,4 and a half years it was closed and now this, unbelievable..
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
wakeup2nwo

Quote:
insurance job, their skint..
"Its plain to see that the seeds from you and me, will be the ones that lead us towards unity, that's if we treat them right, must teach them right, raise your kids better than you was and see what it does" EDI - Outlawz
wakeup2nwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
kaiser

This stinks of Arson, and after a quick google I can tell you that in 2006 hastings council closed the peer down for health and safety reasons. Maybe the fire was accidental but my money is on Ravenclaw Investments sponsoring its demise in someway . How much does a peer cost anyway??

Article from http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-182903817.html

Hastings pier will remain closed for the foreseeable future.
Article from:Hastings & St. Leonards Observer (St. Leonards-on-Sea, England)
Owners Ravenclaw Investments appeared alongside Boss Management, which runs the pier, at Lewes Crown Court last week appealing against the council's decision to shut the attraction last June.

The council used emergency powers under the Health and Safety Act to shut the 130-year-old pier amid fears it could collapse.

This action, slammed by the owners as 'draconian', was legitimised by magistrates in September but both Ravenclaw and Boss Management decided to appeal against the order, arguing the council had been too quick to act.

They remained adamant the pier was not dangerous and a lengthy legal process climaxed in a four day trial last week. …
For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. ........Ecclesiastes 1:17-18

Now choose; Red or Blue.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
kaiser

From http://www.piers.org.uk/pierpages/NPShastings.html

History of Hastings Pier

Work on the 910 foot pier, designed by Eugenius Birch, began in December 1869 and it was opened on the first ever August Bank Holiday (1872). It had cost £23,250 and incorporated a very handsome 2000-seat pavilion at the seaward end. One of the tollhouses was damaged by a storm in 1877 but was repaired.

In 1885, a £2,000 landing stage was built. In 1910/11, a small building housing a shooting gallery, 'animated pictures' and slot machines was added, followed in 1912, by a rifle range/bowling alley. This shoreward end of the pier, known as the 'parade extension', was sold to the council in 1913 to finance a new arcade, shops and a tea-room.

The pavilion was destroyed by fire on 15th July 1917 but was replaced in 1922, albeit in a less elaborate style. A shoreward end pavilion was built in 1926. An Art Deco facade was added in the 1930s. The pier's seaward end was damaged by storms in 1938, closing the pavilion and costing £22,000 to repair. The pier was sectioned during World War Two and was taken over by the armed forces. It suffered some bomb damage during the conflict. It reopened in 1946. The West View and East View solaria were added in 1951 and 1956 respectively.

In 1966, Hastings Council built the 'Triodome' on the parade extension to house a special embroidery marking the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. The extension and Triodome were sold to the pier company in 1968. In 1969, the Triodome was converted into an amusement arcade and the bandstand shelters became kiosks and shops.

In 1993, Humberglow Ltd paid £196,000 to acquire the Hastings Pier Company. In the same year, storms caused £100,000 of damage. An application for millenium funding was unsuccessful and the pier was put up for sale in 1996.

In June 2006, following the serving of a closure notice by Hastings Council, the pier was closed. However, in 2007, Stylus Sports paid for repair work to be carried out beneath the former theatre. The central section of the pier was then re-opened in July 2007, only to be temporarily closed again a few weeks later followiing a storm in which the pier was struck by lightning, causing the emergency evacuation of visitors.

A detailed Structural & Heritage Value Appraisal was carried out for Hastings Borough Council by Gifford Structural Engineers in 2007. A copy of this is accessible via the Pier Weblinks on this page.

Little was done to protect and preserve the pier structure and in March 2008, further damage was caused to the seaward end of the pier during strong winds and very rough seas. In September 2008, the Hasting Pier and White Rock Trust , a local campaign group, submitted a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund for the rescue and redevelopment of the pier, but complications arose following the unearthing of the legislation from 1985 which prevented the sale of the pier.

Efforts continue, however, led primarily by the Hastings Pier and White Rock Trust to try and return the pier to its former glory.

A very detailed history of the pier is available via the link below.
For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. ........Ecclesiastes 1:17-18

Now choose; Red or Blue.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
dazzle

Hiya

Maybe I am wrong but wasn't something going on with Gordon Brown in 2008 - and then Weston Super Mare burnt down rather like taking attention away from what was happening at the time with government; similiar to now maybe with all the reforms.

Psychologically making people feel safer on the land rather than on a pier over water, if that makes sense.
dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
warofconsciousn

Talking Silver Linings

Closed for 4+ years....
I live in Hastings and have just walked down to the pier and back.
My take??
This is a suitably artistic pyrrhic end to the pier.
It had been reduced to a Rat and Pigeonshite infested health hazard whilst it rotted into the sea as a variety of 'investors in hastings' prattled platitudes and did zilch.
Now at last something will HAVE to be done.
Sure the old gits will weep into their half pints of lager shandy recalling the halcyon days they bought a gramme of crap speed then downed 16 pints of overgassed lager only to projectile vomit the lot as we pogoed to the Sex Pistols.
Sure it was fun to see Eddy fall off his 650c.c Triumph Bonneville as he tried to kick start it the second time not realising it was actually running as Jimi Hendrix's guitar feedback had deafened him.Plus all the other bands and their magic moments.
Sure would be nice to see a new pier grow phoenix like out of the ashes but we would probably have to do something like not bomb the crap out of children in a third world country for a whole day to save enough dosh to sort it.
Whoever fell asleep over their crackpipe or got it wrong sniffing lighter fluid last night on the pier.........let me know as i'd like to bung 'em a tenner for a job well done.
We'll be weeping over dog turds next.
warofconsciousn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
passing
Inactive

^

He he that's the spirit - and you've still got your cable-car, right?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
gremlin

I walked on that years ago it was so dangerous i was surprised it was allowed to let people walk on it.
highly suspicious in my mind

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he doesn't exist." we live in satan world.
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
warofconsciousn

Wink cable car

Originally a very clever cable car that ran on ...WATER.....it had tanks under the car that were emptied and filled to make it go up and down with peeps inside.
Not sure if the cable is still there I heard some metal sawing noises as I passed it a few hours ago and someone said something about using the cable to lassoe a passing oil tanker to get the pier wreck really sorted.............towed out to sea .....with a backdrop echo of Hendrix playing 'House burning Down' followed by Hawkwind who did an awesome version of 'Brainstorm' there a decade or so ago as we howled 'kiss your body gooooodbyeeee' after being given over powerful chinese tea flapjack.......1972-ish
In 1970 the jolly old pier still had pennis slot machines of 'What the butler saw' complete with Monty Python type gaberdine raincoated pervies using them- only too pleased to slip a 3" syph slobbered sauselata your way as you seemed like a nice boy.
warofconsciousn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
passing
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warofconsciousn View Post
Originally a very clever cable car that ran on ...WATER.....it had tanks under the car that were emptied and filled to make it go up and down with peeps inside.
Not sure if the cable is still there I heard some metal sawing noises as I passed it a few hours ago and someone said something about using the cable to lassoe a passing oil tanker to get the pier wreck really sorted.............towed out to sea .....with a backdrop echo of Hendrix playing 'House burning Down' followed by Hawkwind who did an awesome version of 'Brainstorm' there a decade or so ago as we howled 'kiss your body gooooodbyeeee' after being given over powerful chinese tea flapjack.......1972-ish
In 1970 the jolly old pier still had pennis slot machines of 'What the butler saw' complete with Monty Python type gaberdine raincoated pervies using them- only too pleased to slip a 3" syph slobbered sauselata your way as you seemed like a nice boy.
I had a war of consciousness in Hastings... but I missed the penis slot machines tee hee