Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 30-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
rydeon

Lightbulb Arrow Making and Maintenance

It's important to look after your arrows, especially after you've been shooting them for a while.

Recently I went on a trip to Eire, there was some wear and tear and when I got back, it soon became apparent I had some work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBt-1tuXS30

I had a batch of arrows to look at making too, so I gave them a look over and a quick inspection. Sometimes, if they are in storage for a long time, they may warp or bend slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G5M5VQK9bk
Old 13-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
rydeon

This is just a little bit about how even a bit of engrained dirt can unbalance your arrows.
Also about the fletching issues too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVS5Gcvf3k

When you're making arrows, unless you want to 'cheat' and use plastic nocks you'll have to reinforce them with stout thread and even horn inserts if you are going for warbow arrows. While plastic nocks may seem superior, they are not. Over time they will wear out and snap, often leaving you with a stub of wood that requires a new plastic nock, or more likely a new arrow shaft. As the snapped-off end may have to be shortened to accept a new nock.

Threaded nocks are not without their own drawbacks though, if the wound and bound thread isn't up to scratch. It could come loose, fall off and result in a near-dry fire as the arrow nock splinters upon being shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gVWYGSL_4E
Old 13-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
rydeon

This is a longbow I've owned for several years now. It's served me well and not let me down. Yet shooting hundreds of arrows on it, especially without an arrowpass, means it's time for some TLC to get the great bow looking the part again.

First thing to do is get the natty old grip off, next it's time to sand down to the residue from the arrowpass that was once on there. For the interim I'd been using electrical tape but that don't last more than a few dozen arrows before it's worn down.

With the sanding done it was time to work on the replacement arrowpass.

Before I could do that though I wanted to repair some slight wear and tear of the bow, this was quite easy. I just got the varnish out and built up the layers.

Once I'd done that it was a case of getting a new arrowpass mounted. Now arrowpasses aren't essential, but if you don't want your longbow to just be a wall-hanger you'll end up with the shooting of arrows wearing out your bow.

Some folks use a blob of superglue but cow or buffalo horn is an excellent, long-lasting choice.

After this was crafted and mounted all that remained was getting a new grip on it...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
rydeon

How to send arrows through the post, without them getting bent or snapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qoxL3a3rg
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
rydeon

Fletching your arrows is important, without feathers, either plastic or genuine, your arrows won't be stable in mid-air.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69829m5zms

Those feathers are from a turkey originally, but goose is also just as good, and authentically medieval too.

If feathers like that aren't available then plastic flexi ones are so-so. An even more cheapo way is to use duct tape or gaffer tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaacybnZHLo
Old 01-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
jikwan
Inactive

wow! that some kind of high class work
jikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
rydeon

When you get really good, you can start to make match-grade sets of arrows.

These will be weight-balanced to within a dozen grains or so and have matching characteristics so each shot will group tightly.

Last edited by rydeon; 03-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
rydeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
the apprentice
Inactive

Great thread indeed, I have the Arten indexing version of fletching jig upright version.
I made my boys junior bows many years ago to about the twenty five pound draw weight which was still good enough for bagging a rabbit at short range say thirty feet.
I made larger bows from Yew and sometimes spliced the two halves together if the timber wasn't knot free, these were around the sixty pound weight.

What timber are you using for arrows port oxford?

Last edited by the apprentice; 26-08-2016 at 05:11 PM.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
decim

Thanks Rydeon.

Great info.
DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental. Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
decim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
elshaper
Inactive

In a pinch.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote