Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News > RiP / MSM Obituaries

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
adralicus

Default Keith Emerson dead at 71

One of the true pioneers of the synthesizer and a great keyboard virtuoso has departed this mortal coil

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2016-0...son-dead-at-71

adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
supertzar

Organs everywhere rejoice!

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
bast

Ah shit! I guess I'm getting to the age where my teen heroes are dropping like flies.
Idolised this guy in the 70's with ELP. I worked a festival in Austria a few years ago where he was appearing and one of the guys in the band I was working for knew him quite well and introduced me ....probably the only time I have actually been completely tongue-tied!

Agree with supertzar.....Hammonds the world over will be breathing a sigh of relief!

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong..- H. L. Mencken
bast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
hayed joe

I thought it might have been age but it turns out there's a gunshot wound? http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311

Quote:
TMZ reported that police found Emerson with a single gunshot wound to the head, though they could not confirm that Emerson died by suicide.
I know they get mocked, but strip away all the synths and he was actually the best keyboard player this country ever had.
I'm more shocked over the fact a gun has been involved than the death of Keith.

R.I.P. Keith Emerson.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayed joe View Post
I thought it might have been age but it turns out there's a gunshot wound? http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311

I know they get mocked, but strip away all the synths and he was actually the best keyboard player this country ever had.
I'm more shocked over the fact a gun has been involved than the death of Keith.

R.I.P. Keith Emerson.

Oh no!!! That's awful.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
madbomber

Saw ELP at the Hard Rock in Manchester in November 1972. Great band and a great keyboard player. RIP. It's been a fucked-up years for deaths so far.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #7
adralicus

Reports coming through that its suicide with a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a6926476.html

Last edited by adralicus; 12-03-2016 at 01:04 AM.
adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
relay

I did not know Keith personally, but I had a number of friends who did. This was a while back, but by all accounts, he was a real decent guy, a family man, unpretentious and totally dedicated to his music. It seems impossible that he would do such a thing - yet reports say he had some nerve damage in his hand which prevented him from playing. Sad to think this might have led to his taking his own life.

Whilst so many have posted the music he wrote and performed with ELP, I have yet to see examples of some of his finest arrangements, from his earlier band, The Nice.

The following is 'Hang on To A Dream' a poignant piece with an achingly beautiful piano arrangement by Keith, from the album 'Ars Long, Vita Brevis' - Art is Long, Life is Short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iCPrKTdPHM

I was a huge fan, Keith's passing breaks my heart.
relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
supertzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by relay View Post
I did not know Keith personally, but I had a number of friends who did. This was a while back, but by all accounts, he was a real decent guy, a family man, unpretentious and totally dedicated to his music. It seems impossible that he would do such a thing - yet reports say he had some nerve damage in his hand which prevented him from playing. Sad to think this might have led to his taking his own life.

Whilst so many have posted the music he wrote and performed with ELP, I have yet to see examples of some of his finest arrangements, from his earlier band, The Nice.

The following is 'Hang on To A Dream' a poignant piece with an achingly beautiful piano arrangement by Keith, from the album 'Ars Long, Vita Brevis' - Art is Long, Life is Short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iCPrKTdPHM

I was a huge fan, Keith's passing breaks my heart.

Thanks for your insight. His versatility was incredible. He effortlessly transitions from grand classical statements to sophisticated jazz tonality and back.
Old 13-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #10
hayed joe

http://www.express.co.uk/news/obitua...-Keith-Emerson

Quote:

ROCK star Greg Lake, whose Emerson, Lake & Palmer bandmate Keith Emerson was found dead on Friday evening, said last night that he had feared for the keyboard-player’s state of mind for many years.

By MARTIN TOWNSEND EXCLUSIVE

Keith Emerson's death came as no surprise to from ELP bandmate Greg Lake
Emerson, 71, whose body was discovered at his home in Santa Monica, California, had suffered a gunshot wound suggesting that he had taken his own life.

Lake, a former member of King Crimson, and Emerson, former keyboard player from The Nice, sold millions of records during the 1970s after forming ELP with drummer Carl Palmer.

Speaking from his home in London, Lake said Keith Emerson had suffered from depression since the late 70s when the band was beginning to fall apart.

Music legend Keith Emerson could have committed suicide, police say
“I have to be honest and say that his death didn’t come as a shock to me,” he said.

I have to be honest and say that his death didn’t come as a shock to me
Greg Lake
“The situation with Keith didn’t happen suddenly, it had been developing from as far back as the Works Vol 1 album (1977).

At that point, I began to see things happening with Keith which didn’t look or feel right.”

Lake did his best to help his friend – “when you’re close you always hope tomorrow will be better” – but eventually he became “impossible” to work with.

“I think its a very difficult thing to actually describe what depression is,” he said.

Lake said about Keith that 'He loved music – that was his main purpose in life'
“We all know what it looks like, people’s moods become very black. But it’s more complicated than that. It changes someone’s personality.

“Also, Keith got into substance abuse, which made it worse and the whole thing just spiralled.

“He lived, in the end, this very lonely existence of someone who was deeply troubled, He loved music – that was his main purpose in life.

“But the music he made after ELP never bore fruit in the same way as it did in the early days.”

Lake is proud of the work he and Keith did in Emerson, Lake & Palmer, particularly the trio of 1970s albums (Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery) which catapulted them to multi-million selling international success.

“I was always searching for those early days, I was always looking for that spark of effervescence that we had during the making of all those great records.”

The pair last worked together two years ago when they played a festival in London.

But by that point Emerson was also beginning to suffer from an affliction which made it hard for him to play the keyboards.

“Part of Keith’s problem was that, especially in later years, he’d begun to develop a degenerative disease that affected his hands.

He lost control of some of his fingers.” Lake is reluctant to link this illness too firmly to his death.
“I’m sure it was a component. But I have to say to you that a lot of people are given bad news like that and you don’t take your life because of it.

I’m not a doctor but I saw someone who became increasingly confused, desperate and depressed. It happens to people.

He urged other sufferers to seek help of the kind provided by The Samaritans.

“All I would say is that if anyone does have feelings like that, of being so desperate that they think it’s better off not to wake up tomorrow, then please, go and talk to somebody - the doctor, your friend, anybody.
Talk to them and tell them what state you’re in. If Keith had taken that path he might still be here today,” he said.

The comedian Jim Davidson, a life-long fan, said that he had discovered Emerson when the rock star was playing with The Nice.

“Keith was the first real showman I had seen in rock music,” Davidson said. “He would throw the Hammond across the stage, play it upside down and even stick daggers in it.

“This guy was a rebel, and I wanted to be just like him...without the piano lessons!

“When The Nice split up in the late 1960s my world fell apart, only to be reassembled with the emergence of Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Wow.”

Jim met Keith at Tramp nightclub in London in 1982. “He came and sat next to me. I told him I couldn’t handle drinking with a hero. He laughed and we became friends, a friendship that lasted 30 years.

“He was a musician, pioneer, but above all, a great human being. One I was lucky enough to know and love.”
hayed joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Dude111

Very sad
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
supertzar

Spinning grand! The modular Moog!!!

ELP - The Great Gates Of Kiev

Old 14-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
nofuture