Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Consciousness / Meditation / Spirituality

Old 30-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
eli46
Inactive

Smile News: Laughter makes brain waves like meditation

In a study from Loma Linda University Health, presented at the Experimental Biology 2014 conference meetings in San Diego on April 27, 2014, joyful or mirthful laughter was shown to produce brain wave frequencies similar to those seen among people who reach what is considered the desired “true state of meditation.”

New study shows laughter produces brain waves like master of meditation
eli46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
lcp.
Banned

Yeah, I want to try this yogic laughter therapy, but I don't know where to find somewhere that does it.
lcp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
whatsinaname

Quote:
Originally Posted by leather clad prowler View Post
Yeah, I want to try this yogic laughter therapy, but I don't know where to find somewhere that does it.
Why not just watch, listen, or do things that make you laugh? It doesn't need to be taught.
whatsinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
lcp.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
Why not just watch, listen, or do things that make you laugh? It doesn't need to be taught.
I've watched it on line, but I want to take part in a group session like this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n1hy62seyIg
lcp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
sheepy

Quote:

Set up your own in your local community. Offer them for free! Ask a local business (book shop, community centre, local health food store, etc) if they would be prepared to allow you to use their facilities for a couple of hours a week! That's what I'm doing! Good luck!
sheepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
decode reality
Inactive

Apart from laughter being a release of tension and the endorphin effect, I once read in a meditation book saying it's also something to do with the abdomen. When we breath deeply from there, as opposed to the chest area, it makes us more relaxed. Also, mildly tightening the abdomen during meditation can assist with slowing down the breathing, and thus helps you to ignore the mental chatter. We involuntarily tighten the abdomen when we laugh - so you get phrases like 'I laughed until my stomach ached' or use the term 'belly laughing'.

Everyone knows how laughter can make you forget about whatever problems you're having, and even come up with solutions.

John Cleese on creativity - Serious vs Solemn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWKQ36JkwE

Based upon what the study is saying, watching too many dark themed conspiracy videos isn't exactly good for the mind.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
iamhe

Default Let go

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
Apart from laughter being a release of tension and the endorphin effect, I once read in a meditation book saying it's also something to do with the abdomen. When we breath deeply from there, as opposed to the chest area, it makes us more relaxed. Also, mildly tightening the abdomen during meditation can assist with slowing down the breathing, and thus helps you to ignore the mental chatter. We involuntarily tighten the abdomen when we laugh - so you get phrases like 'I laughed until my stomach ached' or use the term 'belly laughing'.

Everyone knows how laughter can make you forget about whatever problems you're having, and even come up with solutions.

John Cleese on creativity - Serious vs Solemn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWKQ36JkwE

Based upon what the study is saying, watching too many dark themed conspiracy videos isn't exactly good for the mind.
Mind is Breath and Breath is Mind. Control Breath and Mind is controlled too but stop to control the breath and Mind returns to its state.

Very good observation that laughter has at least two affects upon mind, one is affecting breath, the other is RELEASING energy Kind of involuntary letting go So, we do feel lighter after a good laugh.
iamhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
iamhe

Quote:

Everything can only be seen in the Mind so any thing can only be as real as we LET IT. Basically if we impress the mind with negative and even worse, make it appear real, then we become loaded, heavy and we simply go against our own happiness. Isn't that smart?
If we want to prove we're fearless, why do we have to prove it by creating more darkness?

Prove fearlessness by being nothing and everything
iamhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
nailtown slim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli46 View Post
In a study from Loma Linda University Health, presented at the Experimental Biology 2014 conference meetings in San Diego on April 27, 2014, joyful or mirthful laughter was shown to produce brain wave frequencies similar to those seen among people who reach what is considered the desired “true state of meditation.”

New study shows laughter produces brain waves like master of meditation
Not much chance of that happening on here, too many miserable fuckers putting the gloom about! I know the world is in a miserable state, but whether you smile or not, it's still a shit hole in many ways, a good laugh now an again never did any harm!
nailtown slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhe View Post
Mind is Breath and Breath is Mind. Control Breath and Mind is controlled too but stop to control the breath and Mind returns to its state.

Very good observation that laughter has at least two affects upon mind, one is affecting breath, the other is RELEASING energy Kind of involuntary letting go So, we do feel lighter after a good laugh.
Thanks. Notice how we speak about having a 'gut feeling' about something, or 'having the guts' to face some situation? Like laughter, it must be something to do with the abdomen - I'm guessing it must flick a switch in some part of the brain that can make us intuitive, or courageous, or calm etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhe View Post
Everything can only be seen in the Mind so any thing can only be as real as we LET IT. Basically if we impress the mind with negative and even worse, make it appear real, then we become loaded, heavy and we simply go against our own happiness. Isn't that smart?
If we want to prove we're fearless, why do we have to prove it by creating more darkness?

Prove fearlessness by being nothing and everything
I'm certain that fear is an addictive thing to the brain, and many people are fascinated by intrigue and mystery. That, to me, is part of the allure of conspiracy narratives. There's not much joy in them. Some might say it's not 'addiction to fear', it's about 'being awake and aware' but if people are honest, if you've studied conspiracy narratives solidly for a good few months, there's nothing else to learn except variations on the theme.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
grandmasterp
Banned

Quote:

There ya go buddy.
http://laughter-yoga.meetup.com/cities/gb/17/london/
Looks like a right laugh too.
Enjoy.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
decode reality
Inactive

Bump
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
fishonwheels

Does it count if some random person laughs or giggles when they see you? Or does it only count if they laugh because you're retarded?
fishonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonwheels View Post
Does it count if some random person laughs or giggles when they see you? Or does it only count if they laugh because you're retarded?
Why, does that happen to you?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
fishonwheels

Quote:
Why, does that happen to you?
Ya there have been instances of both. Beleive it or not psychologists have studied both humour and laughter and while humour is associated with illogics and embarassment (for others) laughter is a very social thing. Ppl laugh when they're expected to laugh in theates and you never want to be that only person laughing when everyone else is horrified.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
fishonwheels

And also that you can actually practice laughing to get the subjective benefits of mood making. Laughter is meditative because it makes you experience the NOW.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Ya there have been instances of both. Beleive it or not psychologists have studied both humour and laughter and while humour is associated with illogics and embarassment (for others) laughter is a very social thing. Ppl laugh when they're expected to laugh in theates and you never want to be that only person laughing when everyone else is horrified.
The theatre experiment is something I've noticed, it's interesting how group expectation kicks in

The thing with humour is that it doesn't always have a moral compass. Over time people might learn what they should and shouldn't poke fun at. I doubt whether any scientist would advocate getting your brain into a meditative state by laughing at someone else, regardless of how the other person/s feel.

Though I reckon everyone has done it.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #18
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
And also that you can actually practice laughing to get the subjective benefits of mood making. Laughter is meditative because it makes you experience the NOW.
It's like the law of physics 'two things can't occupy the same place at the same time'. It isn't to make light of when you DO have some bad experience - but when something makes you laugh or even smile, in that moment however bad you might have felt previously, it disappears... even if only fleetingly.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #19
fishonwheels

Quote:
The theatre experiment is something I've noticed, it's interesting how group expectation kicks in

The thing with humour is that it doesn't always have a moral compass. Over time people might learn what they should and shouldn't poke fun at. I doubt whether any scientist would advocate getting your brain into a meditative state by laughing at someone else, regardless of how the other person/s feel.

Though I reckon everyone has done it.
Ya we've all done that, laughing at un-pc jokes, maybe even told a few, and it's really an in-group out-group thing and by that I mean moral compass. We just don't always learn universal ethics and they like to put deformed or mentally challenged ppl in slapstick comedies precesily because few in the audience might empathize. In fiction creative writing courses they say that comedy is the hardest genere to do well, and that it's better if you try to tell a serious story laced with funny moments, which I'd have to agree. I frequently find tragi-comedies funnier than your typical hollywood comedies.

And I think you're onto something with laughter-breathing-meditation.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #20
fishonwheels

OH and also, they find that ppl frequently poke fun at things that are potentially threatening in order to reduce the tensino they feel. I'm not making this shit up anyone can look it up. And ofc they also laugh if your presence makes them feel giddy but at the same time there's some kind of building tension.