Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 18-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
twilight_sparkle
Banned

Default Bloody disgusted at Open University

I've had a bit of shit today over the OU. I started a course in February, and have decided I really don't like it. I wanted to do a MA in Music performance, but of course, OU courses are all academic hog-wash, nothing practical.
I can't afford to spend £10,000 going to a real university now, so I though this was the next best thing. Anyway, I didn't realise that even if I withdraw, I still have to pay for it, leaving me £4500 in debt over a course that is of no bloody use to man nor beast.

Any ideas from former OU students would be great.

TS
twilight_sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
thecatsmeow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_sparkle View Post
I've had a bit of shit today over the OU. I started a course in February, and have decided I really don't like it. I wanted to do a MA in Music performance, but of course, OU courses are all academic hog-wash, nothing practical.
I can't afford to spend £10,000 going to a real university now, so I though this was the next best thing. Anyway, I didn't realise that even if I withdraw, I still have to pay for it, leaving me £4500 in debt over a course that is of no bloody use to man nor beast.

TS
You could try posting this in the FMOTL section along with all the smallprint included in any agreement that you signed. besides which, if it was a course that "Isn't fit for purpose" so to speak, I believe you still have 'right's' regarding getting a refund.
thecatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
enga

That sucks but I guess if you're stuck paying for it then it might be best to make the most of it and try to complete it. I didn't know they did that - made you pay even without completion. Have you tried ringing them to discuss it at all - maybe they would be able to transfer you to something better/more suited ??
enga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
rooibos

If you're paying in instalments I doubt they are going to go after you for the rest of the instalments if you have withdrawn from the course. But who knows.

You sound like you acted rashly. Maybe you should have looked into it before taking the plunge.

And how anyone can Teach a music production course over correspondence is beyond me.
rooibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
thecatsmeow
Banned

Precisely! What was offered was a misrepresentation and, therefore, misleading to say the least!

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/it-is-not-fit-for-purpose/
thecatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
fingersync

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_sparkle View Post

TS

The Corporatization of Education, like any Public Service WE pay for, becomes a 'Candy-Floss Corporate Service backed by Advertising' - nice and sweet, but fuck-all substance. When will any corporate 'service' ever offer a real service?...they can't. It's fundamental economics mixed with a tiny bit of Biology...Capitalism, in its essence, is taking as much as possible with the least possible expense...this is how we have Billionaires. Whatever the Corporates function is, it's not giving...it is that simple. They Must take...it's in the genes. Someone 'up' there has spliced the human monkey with the locust...psychologically speaking.
fingersync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
twilight_sparkle
Banned

How they can justify a few essays and a folderfull of gobblydygook written by nonentities as being worth shelling out any amount of money for is absurd.
Music is meant to be performed and enjoyed, not dissected.
I don't care about the leading thinkers in Musicology. Musicology isn't even a real science.
The real universities have priced themselves out of the market now, it's only the OU which is an option for most people. What a rip-off.
Old 18-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
twilight_sparkle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooibos View Post
If you're paying in instalments I doubt they are going to go after you for the rest of the instalments if you have withdrawn from the course. But who knows.

You sound like you acted rashly. Maybe you should have looked into it before taking the plunge.

And how anyone can Teach a music production course over correspondence is beyond me.
Not to say I acted rashly, it was a last ditch. I wanted to go back to my old uni, but they have no respect for alumni anymore.