Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > The Paranormal & Mysteries

Old 21-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
truth finder

Default New Gable Film Surfaces - 'Michigan Dogman' Victim

now i now most of would of seen one of these Videos but it looks like they found Two more Vidoes of the Gable Videos,

http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/200...an-dogman.html

the first is the one most of us has seen already but in better quality and slow mos....

The Second shows an mauled women ( Graphic Be warned )

And the third shows what looks like the before of the original....

Any thoughts...
truth finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
size_of_light

Jesus Christ that looked freaky!

I'm not familiar with this case but the footage in the first video didn't look like any animal I've ever seen and the way it moved convinced me it was no man in a costume.

Here's a direct link to the video as I found it hard to navigate through the blog you linked to and find it:

Will go away and read up on this case now. Thanks.

Last edited by shodan; 31-07-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: fix links
size_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
forestgrump

Quote:
Originally Posted by size_of_light View Post
Jesus Christ that looked freaky!

I'm not familiar with this case but the footage in the first video didn't look like any animal I've ever seen and the way it moved convinced me it was no man in a costume.

Here's a direct link to the video as I found it hard to navigate through the blog you linked to and find it:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=60337033

Will go away and read up on this case now. Thanks.
You've probably found it by now but this is a good site about the subject.
http://www.michigan-dogman.com/

The encounters section has some interesting accounts and photographs.
forestgrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
veritasvoice

Definitely not a bear, its movements are simply too agile. Bears, even small ones, have a very distinctive lumbering gait.

At one point as it is heading towards the camera, it pushes off the ground with its back legs at speed (which is very clear in the slo-mo footage), and I've never seen a bear do that - its far more reminiscent of how a dog runs. And there's something about it that seems to lend an air of intelligence to the way its running towards the camera - freaky as hell.

Anyone else think this whole thing has a skinwalker vibe to it?

Last edited by veritasvoice; 22-07-2009 at 09:59 AM.
veritasvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
size_of_light

Yes veritas, 'skinwalker vibe' for sure.

I'm amazed by this footage. Never seen anything like it. I've read a bit about the case now and despite some opinions floating around that it's a hoax, there's no actual evidence for that other than the 'too good to be true' angle, which is ridiculous. Even Loren Coleman at Crytpomundo seems to have taken this approach to the film, which I find frustrating and baffling, since anyone with any sense of how animals really move as opposed to 'a man in a dogsuit' can immediately see that it's some sort of animal and not a man.

Slow motion enhancements show a long catlike tail at one point and two long ears which eliminates both gorillas and bears as the possible culprits.

I'd also challenge the best CGI artists in the world to re-produce anything that even remotely matches the sense of realism and authenticity of this footage.

Here's a brief summary of the story of how this film came to light, and some additional background, from Cryptomundo:

The “Gable film” is an edited 8mm film that has been raising a lot of questions and theories for the last few years. Many have declared this to be an elaborate hoax created by someone wanting to capitalize on the “Michigan Dogman” stories. The film itself is owned by MindStage Productions and can be seen online in a very edited and low quality version. It shows what many have said to be the actual cryptid creature lurking around the Wisconsin and adjacent states. Many researchers have claimed that this is just a hoax created by a radio DJ by the name of Steve Cook. The same person who helped create a fictional story of the “Michigan Dogman” as an April Fool’s joke, stated that he had acquired an old 8mm film with the images of a strange beast that attacks the camera man. He stated that the film was found in an estate sale in the lower peninsula of Michigan.

The 8mm reel did not have any detailed information about who or where the film was shot. The only information known was the inscription “Gable Case #MPO41177-1” that was on the film canister.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/gable09/

Here's the footage with some info on the legend of this creature:

A short clip with an enhancement that clearly shows the long tail and also suggests some unusual 'shapeshifting' could be going on as it approaches the camera:

Finally, the background behind "The Gable Film Part 2", a very graphic film showing the mutilated remains of a man in a wooded area that matches the scenery in the original Gable footage:

I was at my little brother’s house Friday June 10th and my sister-in-law was watching Fox News. (She’s madly in lust with that Sean Hannity guy). A short segment came on about “the Beast of Bray Road”. Hannity then played a clip from a film named…”The Gable Film”.

Sirens went off in my head.

Our only uncle was a film nut in college, back in the seventies. He was always making home movies and beer commercials. He was even hired, (not for pay), to help the Michigan Department of Natural Resources investigate and document a bear attack, just north of Bellaire. (Our Grandmother worked in the Antrim County Courthouse,…. she had a hand in getting him the gig). The victim’s name was Aaron GABLE.

…..GABLE!!!

My mother tells us that after filming the attack scene, our Uncle John was so distraught that he packed up his stuff and moved to Florida, two weeks later!. Mom says his behavior was becoming very psychotic, he couldn’t sleep at night and he kept going on about how “bears have FIVE toes,….. dogs have four”!. Just a week after he left, a DNR officer hand-delivered the film that Uncle John made to my Mother’s house. It’s been in a box in the basement ever since.

Now, I seem to recall that these films usually lasted about five minutes or so, but the film we have is only about a minute long… and the end of it was obviously torn off, not cut clean. I wonder just how much is missing? We almost threw this film away just a couple of years ago, but I wound up buying a vintage projector on eBay, just to see what was on this film. (Boy, was I suprised). NOW,….. I find that there’s this “Gable” film out there?

I wonder if these two films are related. I’ll see if I can get it in better resolution, other than with Wifey’s camera-phone. (It might be expensive,….. but I’m sure it’ll be worth it).

One thing’s for certain, whatever it was on that clip that they played on Fox News,….. it sure didn’t look like no Bear.

Last edited by limelady; 10-11-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
size_of_light

Below is an update (from October 2007) on the case from Cryptomundo.

Note the sneering, dismissive tone of the post, concluding that it's a hoax, again based on what seems to be little, or non-existent evidence. There's a (now dead) link which should have directed readers to more information from Steve Cook (who originally acquired the mysterious film) about why it has turned out to be an 'unintentional hoax'.

All I can see in the Cryptomundo article that led Loren Coleman to form this conclusion is that apparently some people (who?) have noticed a human foot on the animal in a couple of frames.

I haven't found that frame analysis anywhere yet, but even if something that looked like a human foot did appear in three frames, how does that render the film a hoax? What if this creature is a shapeshifter and it briefly manifested a human foot for a few instants?

Nobody will ever convince me there's a guy in a suit in that footage. It's physically and intuitively impossible for a human to move like that and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has limited experience observing and understanding the natural movements of animals.

If this does all turn out to be a hoax now, I'll look like a complete fool for saying that, but what the hell.

Here's the Cryptomundo update. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a gatekeeper site, intended to steer people away from actual cryptid phenomena, since they dismiss this very easily and yet have a tendency to dwell on a lot less convincing or downright absurd or boring stories:

The Gable Film is merely, as seemed obvious in the beginning, an alleged hoax. Many readers have sent in comments and links. I will pluck one, that of Cyptomundo reader SC, as an example that gets directly to the point:

Follow this link to read Mr. Steve Cook’s explanation as to the nature of the “unintended hoax.”

It seems three frames of the film reveal a human leg moving to the side, which, according to him, exposes the “creature” as a man on all fours. Pondering the footage from this new perspective has lead Mr. Cook to conclude it is definitely faked, but not intentionally created to hoax anyone. It is merely vintage footage of an amateur crew of filmmakers working on their own backyard “Boggy Creek.” Pondering Mr. Cook’s conclusions, I can come up with a different idea. The obvious one. Let’s call it “The Intentional Hoax” theory.SC

If you follow the link to Steve Cook’s posting, you will find his message ends with the following paragraphs:

On the other side of that coin, I now fully understand why witnesses to real events are so reluctant to come forward with evidence; and even when they do, they do not want their name associated with the story. Despite the fact that I had no intent to ever market the film in any form, and that I never claimed it to be authentic, my character suddenly came into question. In the six days The Gable Film was publicly available, I was grilled, cajoled, insulted, and called everything from a profiteer to a liar to other names I would be ashamed to type. Not just from one or two people, but from hundreds. In addition, my website has been hacked, and the film and several other unpublished files have been stolen and posted on the internet.

In conclusion, there are a handful of self proclaimed experts in the crypto-creature industry (make no mistake folks, it’s an industry, and a lucrative proposition for some of them) who have become so jaded and cynical, they really should look for a new line of work. It would seem that if evidence has not had the good sense to fall into their lap it is automatically dismissed as a fraud, and so is anyone associated with it. It is precisely that attitude that will prevent real evidence, when it comes, from ever seeing the light of day. There is no need to mention any names. You know who you are.

First, one must wonder why he took this all so personally?

The reality, of course, is that such discussions as evidenced above infrequently issue from people who seem to not understand that healthy skepticism is part of cryptozoology, that no one in cryptozoology really makes any money, and that most of us have all heard it before. As John Green says, it takes strong personalities in the field to deal with all the criticisms hurled our way, inside and outside the community.

Those who have promoted this footage, who either were hoaxed themselves or were behind this alleged docudrama, should not be surprised by hundreds of people who wish to say something, one way or the other, about this Gable Film. That’s what happens, and that’s what is assumed would occur in our media age. It has nothing to do with people wanting to undermine the good stories and the remarkable sightings. On the contrary, it has a lot to do with the credibility of the field being maintained at a high standard, in an awkward age of YouTube-screened hoaxes and website showings linked to wild speculations.

This state of affairs has been known in the Bigfoot world for years, and merely comes down to, “if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/exit-wolfman/

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
size_of_light

Cryptomundo's original article on the case from September 2007:

It’s time to bring out the silver bullets. Okay, Cryptomundo will stop ignoring the Gable Film, and take up the hunt.

Since September 24, I’ve tried to get some straight answers about a piece of footage that has been floating around the internet, the so-called “Gable Film.” The footage shows, well, let me just say it outloud, what appears to be a “werewolf” and is being promoted as nonfiction.

As the story goes, Michigan disc jockey Steve Cook obtained the rights to the film reportedly taken with an old 8 mm camera. The Gable Film was allegedly found in an estate sale in the lower Peninsula.

Steve Cook’s Michigan Dogman site was created around the song “The Legend” that was allegedly recorded a couple decades ago as a prank. After it aired, folks began calling the radio station and saying they had seen the creature described in the song. Fast forward to this recent “discovered” film that is said to “prove” the “Legend.”

To me this sounds like a song and dance I’ve heard before, too good to be true. But Cryptomundo readers, here’s the footage - and the Dogman site (link below) gets their viewers from Cryptomundo. Below, there is more discussion.

What do you think?

I wrote Steve Cook about this, being very open with my concerns about this footage:

The Gable Film is a good story, and builds in many ways like The Blair Witch Horror and the discovered film canisters of the Jersey Devil film. As a work of cryptofiction cinema and art, it can stand on its own, without it being declared to be nonfiction. I’ve worked with Haxan Films folks, and understand [after the fact, why they went about] creating of such fakes, planted early, to promote such things.

I am not saying you are doing any of this, but the background of the April Fool’s prank, the Legend, the poetry of it all, the scenario, the unfolding have to be seen as obvious clues. You have to be asked the hard question - is this a piece of creative narrative fiction performance art - before this gets all blown out of proportion and it becomes a cornerstone of supposedly real werewolf lore?Loren Coleman

Steve Cook replied:

First, let me re-state that I do not take a position on the authenticity of evidence presented on michigan-dogman.com. Of course I have a personal opinion, but to state it publicly would serve nothing more than to encourage the kind of charges your e-mail implies. The simple answer is, I don’t know what The Gable Film is or what it shows.

I understand fully the scripted nature of this. For that reason, we expended considerable effort having it analyzed by a range of people from a variety of backgrounds. Even though none of those people was able to find an obvious flaw indicating a forgery, I still was very hesitant to release it before we had more answers.

Then a few weeks ago, I offered a private preview of the film to Linda Godfrey’s Yahoo group, the Unknown Creature Spot. Linda and I are old friends, going back some 15 years. I placed the film on YouTube for two days and invited members of UCS view and evaluate it. In that time, the film was pirated by at least three and perhaps many more individuals. That forced my hand, leading to the release of the video now on my website.

The key question you need to ask is, do I stand to gain by releasing a forged film? The answer is no. I have no intention of marketing or selling the Gable Film in any form. I have no desire to do interview shows or speaking tours. If the resulting publicity leads to increased sales of “The Legend,” it will just mean more work packaging and mailing - because I donate the profits from the sale of the CD/DVD set to charity. I put The Gable Film out there because I think it needs to be seen.Steve Cook

Obviously, I understand the gray area inhabited by Steve Cook, but the bottomline is that Mr. Cook did not answer my question with a “yes or no” response.

The footage in fact, I see, is now generating wider and wider discussions as if it is real, across the internet. People want me to state my opinion on Cryptomundo, declare one way or another - or even come out in careful support of the film. Other emails are also coming in, from fans like Melanie, asking me about the “Blair Dog Project.”

Even with offers to look at this frame by frame that is not really illuminating. A deeper analyses of the frames merely will only convey what the creature, costumed or otherwise, looks like more clearly. It actually won’t do too much in revealing the reality behind what was filmed, one way or the other. At this point, this film is only as good as its context and its source. The origins of this footage are cloudy, at best. Unrevealed and untestable, if you believe the stories. A prank, if you consider the history, perhaps. I’ll stop there.

Okay, I won’t beat around the wolfbane, any longer. I don’t buy it. My past experiences and eye for forgeries tell me there’s something here that smells like a fake, a copycatted forgery, with the telltale signs of a found-film, the shaky camera, and the blurry imagery. Steve Cook may be a film genius or he may have been hoaxed, but there’s something that is very off about all of this for me. I think this is cryptofiction, developed out of the traditional folkloric motif of found treasures.

Other than that, until someone comes forth declaring they created the Gable Film to keep the tale going, what else do we all have to go on but our gut?

As I recently noted here about a “Sasquatch” film shown as new on YouTube, these kinds of incidents are sadly piling up in an ever increasing daily body count. Perhaps a whole new division of cryptozoology will have to be cryptocinemahoaxology?

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/gable-film/

Loren Coleman doesn't really come across as a very credible investigator to me. I get a distinct vibe of jealousy from his correspondences with Steve Cook there, and a sense that he's already made up his mind on this case and wants it dismissed and forgotten about before enough evidence has even been compiled to form a preliminary conclusion on it.

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
thelyran

...Thanks for sending me that link SOL...and to be honest,can't make head or tail of the object.I d/l every video and will blow them up later...but this isn't off topic.but I need more information about the area

1.Was UFO's reported in the vicinity day or 2 earlier.

2.Is there military bases or storage areas for nuclear waste

3.Is there any tribal legends from the native Indians covering this discrption of being?
...that way,one can wittle down the possibilities.It's a freak,that's for sure.
The damage to the womans body...could be a traffic accident or something similar,and the perp who caused it used a local legend to cover their tracks
(Don't Berate me on that one...as I don't believe it myself,just exposing all the possibilities.)...as it looks like the legs missing,but the first thing an animal eats is the organs...not usually the extremities...just a thought...but weird and honestly have no idea...

Last edited by thelyran; 22-07-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 22-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
size_of_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyran View Post
1.Was UFO's reported in the vicinity day or 2 earlier.

2.Is there military bases or storage areas for nuclear waste

3.Is there any tribal legends from the native Indians covering this discrption of being?
...that way,one can wittle down the possibilities.It's a freak,that's for sure.
The damage to the womans body...could be a traffic accident or something similar,and the perp who caused it used a local legend to cover their tracks
(Don't Berate me on that one...as I don't believe it myself,just exposing all the possibilities.)...as it looks like the legs missing,but the first thing an animal eats is the organs...not usually the extremities...just a thought...but weird and honestly have no idea...
No UFOs reported or military bases -- no one knows exactly when or where the footage was taken. The first clip in post #5 has some background on the Indian legends about a local creature like this. I agree it's a strange mutilation of the body (if it's real), more like something a shark would do than any land predator I know of.

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
thelyran

Quote:
No UFOs reported or military bases -- no one knows exactly when or where the footage was taken. The first clip in post #5 has some background on the Indian legends about a local creature like this. I agree it's a strange mutilation of the body (if it's real), more like something a shark would do than any land predator I know of.

well the local natives know...there's one avenue of investigation.I heard many accounts of UFO's releasing "Bigfoot" like creatures...as flore and soil gatherers...but never as mutilators of humans...a few poor cows,yes,but the wounds were cauterized
Old 22-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
godgoo

I am a skeptic of this. I think it is obvious that the normal motion of this animal is bipedal, It is human. Plus we have no Idea how much ground it covered and over what time. Look at
time 00:10 - 00:11 you can see the heal of the left foot kicking out. A wild animal would not have that sort of lazy posture.
The Engineer.co.uk

Last edited by godgoo; 22-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
godgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
size_of_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgoo View Post
I am a skeptic of this. I think it is obvious that the normal motion of this animal is bipedal, It is human. Plus we have no Idea how much ground it covered and over what time. Look at
time 00:10 - 00:11 you can see the heal of the left foot kicking out. A wild animal would not have that sort of lazy posture.
I've broken the footage down into a sequence from the best quality version available (see the film in it's entirety, including unrelated images on the same reel here: http://www.michigan-dogman.com/00_gable.html )

Ears are clearly visibly in frames 4, 5, 7,10 and 11, as are a tail in frames 9 & 10.

Frame 9 removes any doubt that this is an animal and not a human being. Note how thin it's 'dog-like' left rear leg is in this still.

This thing moves like nothing I've ever seen before. After watching the clip repeatedly, it seems to me like something intelligent (the way it pauses and watches as per frame 2 seems strangely human), thickset like a bear but with the agility of a baboon and a big cat combined.

Since it obviously has a prominent tail and pointed ears, (known) bears and gorillas can both be ruled out.

I'm reluctant to admit it but - haha! - it kinda does look like a werewolf.

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
thelyran

Quote:
I've broken the footage down into a sequence from the best quality version available (see the film in it's entirety, including unrelated images on the same reel here: http://www.michigan-dogman.com/00_gable.html )

Ears are clearly visibly in frames 4, 5, 7,10 and 11, as are a tail in frames 9 & 10.

Frame 9 removes any doubt that this is an animal and not a human being. Note how thin it's left rear leg is in this still.

This thing moves like nothing I've ever seen before. After watching the clip repeatedly, it seems to me like something intelligent (the way it pauses and watches as per frame 2 seems strangely human), thickset like a bear but with the agility of a baboon and a big cat combined.

Since it obviously has a prominent tail and pointed ears, bears and gorillas can be ruled out.

I'm reluctant to admit it but - haha! - it kinda looks like a werewolf.
Hahahaha...that's not funny...Lordzoma,reckons they're real...after what I have seen...I'm not going to doubt it,but those legends from the natives...they need to be explored deeply,regards,kind sir.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
godgoo

Quote:

Frame 9 removes any doubt that this is an animal and not a human being. Note how thin it's left rear leg is in this still.

Since it obviously has a prominent tail and pointed ears, bears and gorillas can be ruled out.

I think this is a good hoax? Frame 6 is throwing me off, the weight goes completely over the hips for that stance, the heel sticks out, it could also be accurate to say that the animal/human has toes. this would implying that the animal is a fulltime bipedal mover. The motion is similar to that of a silver back gorilla, I know it isn't a gorilla. but the motion of a gorilla can be easy to mimic. This is why ground speed would be good to know, but we don't have enough film to plot the data.
The Engineer.co.uk

Last edited by godgoo; 22-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
thelyran

Quote:

...I saved this pic and blew it up on desktop,picture 11 looks like a wild boar...
the type that come from europe,particulary the back and head,similar to the razorbacks we get out here....hey,that was'nt to bad a 80s film neither!
Old 22-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
size_of_light

Quote:
I think this is a good hoax? Frame 6 is throwing me off, the weight goes completely over the hips for that stance, the heel sticks out, it could also be accurate to say that the animal/human has toes. this would implying that the animal is a fulltime bipedal mover. The motion is similar to that of a silver back gorilla, I know it isn't a gorilla. but the motion of a gorilla can be easy to mimic. This is why ground speed would be good to know, but we don't have enough film to plot the data.
It does have simian-like facial features when seen in profile in a Hi-Res version of Frame 3, which I'll run next.

Meantime, this is a Hi-Res version of Frame 2 with brightness/contrast adjusted.

This appearance is consistent with the end of the film when you see the animals teeth in one of the last frames:

***Update ***

Error correction: The appearance of a dog, or bear-like nose here is actually caused by a thin branch extending from the tree in the foreground across the face of the creature.

For a more detailed explanation see later posts.

Last edited by size_of_light; 23-07-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
godgoo

Frame 6 is where you want to start analysing that is the odd one. I also know that animal could not eat two legs and an arse in one sitting. Maybe it went back?
The Engineer.co.uk

Last edited by godgoo; 22-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
size_of_light

Frame 3. This is when the animal begins to move to it's right (towards left of screen) and is seen briefly in profile. Note the gorilla-like facial features and also the powerful left hind-leg. Eyes, nostrils, prominent upper jaw and mouth are all visible. Very reminiscent of a silverback gorilla in this one.

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
size_of_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyran View Post
...I saved this pic and blew it up on desktop,picture 11 looks like a wild boar...
the type that come from europe,particulary the back and head,similar to the razorbacks we get out here....hey,that was'nt to bad a 80s film neither!
Agree. Or a stampeding buffalo. In various frames it looks like a bear, an ape, a boar, a buffalo...and then when you view the real time footage it doesn't quite look like any of them.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more the movements remind me of a cross between a primate and a rodent.

A capibara springs to mind, and the Frame 2 enhancement shows similar facial features to one, though Frame 3 is more gorilla, and neither have a set of fangs like the close up photo of the mouth in the final frames.

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 22-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
size_of_light

Quote:
Good observation on Frame 6. It seems to rise onto it's two hind legs with incredibly agility and balance there. I'll analyse that one as well.

I think Frame 9 clearly eliminates the possibility that it's a human mimicking an ape (the spindly hind leg).

Last edited by size_of_light; 22-07-2009 at 07:32 PM.