Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 14-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #41
cosmic tramp

I was vaselining the apple trees this week (not some bizarre sexual fetish), but , as I'm sure you will probably will be aware, to allay the attentions of the wingless moth caterpillar, active from March & October which climbs up tree trunks and lays its eggs in apples and ruins the crop , so a hearty slapping of the old vaseline around the trunk girth, forms about a 5 inch eco friendly sticky back exclusion zone.
cosmic tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #42
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic tramp View Post
I was vaselining the apple trees this week (not some bizarre sexual fetish), but , as I'm sure you will probably will be aware, to allay the attentions of the wingless moth caterpillar, active from March & October which climbs up tree trunks and lays its eggs in apples and ruins the crop , so a hearty slapping of the old vaseline around the trunk girth, forms about a 5 inch eco friendly sticky back exclusion zone.
Not tried that one CT.

So they start at ground level and crawl up the trunk, that will sort the little buggers.

I will check out our apple and pear this year.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #43
cosmic tramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the apprentice View Post
Not tried that one CT.

So they start at ground level and crawl up the trunk, that will sort the little buggers.

I will check out our apple and pear this year.
I tellya. Vaseline is to me what Aircraft Carriers are to Donny Trump. It was a problem. It needed solving. We solved it. 'Nuff said.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #44
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
I tellya. Vaseline is to me what Aircraft Carriers are to Donny Trump. It was a problem. It needed solving. We solved it. 'Nuff said.
I wonder if Stockholm tar would be good, you can buy this fairly cheap from most vets, we used it on the farm to stop flies from getting into lambs navels after they are born and after the mother has cleaned the lamb up.

I make my own cobblers wax from it and bees wax 50-50 it stops the hemp or flax threads from rotting.

Last edited by the apprentice; 14-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #45
cosmic tramp

Quote:
I wonder if Stockholm tar would be good, you can buy this fairly cheap from most vets, we used it on the farm to stop flies from getting into lambs navels after they are born and after the mother has cleaned the lamb up.

I make my own cobblers wax from it and bees wax 50-50 it stops the hemp or flax threads from rotting.
Well you can actually buy customised sticky tree bands from garden centres at around a tenner a time, which I don't want to do, as all they are are strips of garden bag material, covered with heavy duty adhesive, you could actually a make your own. So your Stockholm tar would probably work, yes.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #46
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Well you can actually buy customised sticky tree bands from garden centres at around a tenner a time, which I don't want to do, as all they are are strips of garden bag material, covered with heavy duty adhesive, you could actually a make your own. So your Stockholm tar would probably work, yes.
Those ready made strips ain't cheap.

It's a while since I bought some tar but like you said it's way cheaper to use vaseline or direct onto the bark. The tar is quite sticky are like honey in texture and would soak into the bark.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262400036522

A kilo of this would go a very long way.

Last edited by the apprentice; 14-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 14-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #47
cosmic tramp

Quote:
Those ready made strips ain't cheap.

It's a while since I bought some tar but like you said it's way cheaper to use vaseline or direct onto the bark. The tar is quite sticky are like honey in texture and would soak into the bark.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262400036522

A kilo of this would go a very long way.
Hmmm just wikipediad that - very interesting history of applications hasn't it ? From Viking skis to barges. Stockholm Tar or Pine Tar or Archangel Tar, bet it smells gorgeous like creosote or carbolic soap...

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_tar#General_use

Only found out the other day that EU Health & safety regs. have banned coal tar outright from non-prescriptive medical products (soap/shampoo/ household cleaners) and replace it with Tea Tree oil...

Last edited by cosmic tramp; 14-04-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 14-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #48
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Hmmm just wikipediad that - very interesting history of applications hasn't it ? From Viking skis to barges. Stockholm Tar or Pine Tar or Archangel Tar, bet it smells gorgeous like creosote or carbolic soap...

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_tar#General_use

Only found out the other day that EU Health & safety regs. have banned coal tar outright from non-prescriptive medical products (soap/shampoo/ household cleaners) and replace it with Tea Tree oil...
The smell is fabulous just like the soap and better.

Tea tree oil is nice too and is the only thing that actually kills molds outright.

You can't beat the natural elements.

I bet they banned it in human medicals because it works better than the chemical methods.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #49
unsheepled

This thread has me hooked and i am making enquiries about an allotment garden with a large greenhouse ,brick raised beds and an area that has been used for potatoes and such ...in fact everything i would need (except the know how ) to grow things .Its in the grounds of the local mental health clinic where i live in the country but it is seldom used .My health means i would just use part of it as it is quite big but i'm raring to go and an email has been sent from my CPN to ask the question ...can i work in the garden .Wish me luck
unsheepled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #50
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsheepled View Post
This thread has me hooked and i am making enquiries about an allotment garden with a large greenhouse ,brick raised beds and an area that has been used for potatoes and such ...in fact everything i would need (except the know how ) to grow things.
Its in the grounds of the local mental health clinic where i live in the country but it is seldom used .My health means i would just use part of it as it is quite big but i'm raring to go and an email has been sent from my CPN to ask the question ...can i work in the garden .Wish me luck
I like the idea of that,

I had many years ago now a real stab of a small stately home walled garden only 10 minutes drive from home. It had a superb Georgian greenhouse with the old boiler system still fitted.
All the old equipment was still there too, ride on lawnmowers tool shed and store room for the winter food with all the slatted racks.

It has immense apple and fruit orchards which I sold around the local family shops in town.

I soon got a plan drawn up and an agreement with the old lady owner and got stuck in. The large gardens around the hotel were an immense task but it was simply too much for me when my cousin pulled out and left me to it.

The place is now a hotel and the walled garden a superb garden centre last time I was over that neck of the woods.

http://heaveshotel.com/

If your place is like I think it is you may have the opportunity of a life time.

Try to get at least a 20 year contract from the owners and be very wary of the Transition Towns gurus who are pro climate change warriors.

Go for it and I wish you all the best.
Old 18-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #51
the apprentice
Inactive

A little further into spring now and nature is beginning to blossom, our 250 year old pear tree is in full flow and our little thinking corner has come into colour to match our astronomy table in Azure Blue.

The peas are all through inside their climbing circles and the soil is now quite warm to touch this afternoon.

image free hosting
Old 19-04-2017, 01:07 AM   #52
raburgeson

To early yet, waiting for the govt. to freeze out my apple tree buds and will not plant until after.
raburgeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #53
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raburgeson View Post

Too early yet, waiting for the govt. to freeze out my apple tree buds and will not plant until after.
When I think we've had the last frost I will plant out all the beans, the black birds normally start laying when it's right to plant out.

We have been caught out several times by a very late frost, but the weather is pretty good after the last full moon after the beginning of May Day.

See the rings I made for the peas, we make paper blankets that go around the wire circles to keep the frost out.

Mr Mole is still about in the garden though, he is not throwing up any more hills but using the existing tunnels he made which can stop plants from growing properly. Where any roots grow down into the tunnels they always seen smaller that others plants that have uninterrupted soil depth.
Old 22-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #54
the apprentice
Inactive

A little bit further into spring and things are really beginning to push through now.

The grass is shooting an inch a day now and the dandelions are all out, we leave these for the bees and insects and pick the heads off where the clocks are in seed.

The verge are nearly ready for the cooling off shelf where we have lettuce nearly ready for planting out.

upload pic

The toms, cauliflowers and Brunswick cabbage are nearly ready for potting on.

Having a greenhouse enables us to bring things on a few weeks earlier and keep things going a little later into the season and this winter we have a whole collection of wild herbs that will go right through until next spring.

Last year's leeks are really fattening up and ready for harvest but we will keep a few and let them go to seed for next year, the bumble bees go daft for the huge ball shaped flowering heads too. And this year's seedlings are already germinated in the greenhouse.

I love gardening.

Last edited by the apprentice; 22-04-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 30-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #55
motleyhoo

Wish i could have a greenhouse. I live in a subdivision with rules. My garden is doing ok except for deer eating things at night. I have planted my tomatoes twice already because they got eaten. I started my own elderberry plants last year and they are doing great. If they fruit this year, that will be great next cold and flu season.
"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #56
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhoo View Post
Wish i could have a greenhouse. I live in a subdivision with rules. My garden is doing ok except for deer eating things at night. I have planted my tomatoes twice already because they got eaten. I started my own elderberry plants last year and they are doing great. If they fruit this year, that will be great next cold and flu season.
It been a good year in the old garden especially for our apple trees, the pear tree never fruited this year and sometimes does this every other year, the damsons were very heavy with fruit so much so the trees were hanging four feet lower than normal.
The blackberries have all been eaten by the blackbirds and the elder are medium laden, so its been a mixed fruiting year.
Our leek path is very good right now and should see us right through the winter for making soups.
This year we have collected a bumper veriaty of seeds for next year and our freezer is bursting with gooseberries and strawberries which have flowered again since cutting them back six weeks ago, this annual haircut encourages them to grow new leaves and to set themselves for next spring.
It will be our local apple week next week where we all gather at the local pub to make a few barrels of cider, I bring my shredder and another guy brings his apple press, should be a dizzy jolly time.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #57
oneriver

I made some Apple Cider Vinegar last year with a bumper crop of apples from the two trees in my garden. It was suprisingly good.

This year hardly any apples.
“Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?" That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere and that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future.” ? Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Y Gwir Erbyn Y Byd ("Truth Against the World") - Druidic Motto
oneriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #58
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneriver View Post
I made some Apple Cider Vinegar last year with a bumper crop of apples from the two trees in my garden. It was suprisingly good.

This year hardly any apples.
Sounds nice and its free from nature.

Same goes for our pears, but this is normal when the timing of the seasons is out of sync with the sun, too coolr eather and the polinators don't hatch at the time the flowers are opening, I know others who have had a bumper crops last year and this was because of the better spring weather.

This year our spring was marred by geo-engineering, I watched them every morning and evening laying down the blanket across the rising and setting of the sun, every day they were at it and the results are evident for all to see when their food does not ripen, like our toms this year, they have really struggled to ripen as yet.

Last edited by the apprentice; 06-10-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #59
the apprentice
Inactive

Default This seasons sweet pea seeds saved

Here is our sweet pea savers for 2017, I have just looked on ebay and you get only 40 seeds for 99p, here is what fifty looks like for 50p, a bargain, we have over 3 pounds and still have another batch to collect this autumn that we planted slightly later.

The best thing is, we will trade these with other growers this year when we have our annual apple fest 16 Oct at the local pub.

The onions were superb this year, here is our second summer batch hanging, these should last us until the end of the year at least.

The toms are very slow this year, but coming on strong now, just making our first batch of tom chutney tonight. We always remove all the leaves if they are late to ripen it help to stop them from going off, cease watering too, to encourage ripening.

Take 4 lb of ripe toms, skins removed in hot simmering water, no extra water added,

2 tablespoons of mustard seed,
1 heaped tablespoon of all spice,
Place these two spices into a muslin cloth tied and place into the toms.
1 heaped teaspoon of loose Cayenne pepper straight into the toms.
Simmer for 3/4 hour to reduce.

Then add

400ml of white vinegar, apple or normal white,
1/2lb of sugar,
4 teaspoons of salt,

Then simmer for another 3/4 hour and bottle.

If you like spicy gear this one 's for you, tssssss.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #60
Daisy101

I bought some face masks for gardening as I'm paranoid that fungus went up my nose and caused an infection . Antibiotics didn't clear it after 3 months (just almost killed me) - and the more I read the more I think it's fungus as I was gardening after moving house and the hedge was giving off a vapour and the leaves were mouldy as I was cutting them out. Trying tea tree oil to cure it now.

I might look strange but better safe than sorry lol. Anyone else worried about fungus?

Last edited by Daisy101; 10-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Daisy101 is offline   Reply With Quote