Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
them

Default Satanic Verses

This live on Radio4 at the moment. 20:00 - 21:00 GMT - 07/02/09.

Quote:
The Book Burners: Twenty years after the fatwa was issued against Salman Rushdie for The Satanic Verses, Mike Wooldridge talks to some of those who protested and burned the book.
It will obviously be available on Listen Again thereafter.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
eternal_spirit
Inactive

Took a while to find it, will listen to it later. Here's a direct link to listen again.

http://search.bbc.co.uk/search?q=sat...%2Freligion%2F
eternal_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
them

Did you ever catch up with the show, eternal? I thought the topic was very well debated.
Old 27-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
lightgiver

Arrow Infidel muslims

The story of The Satanic Verses chronicles an ancient legend about the Prophet Muhammad, founder of the Islamic religion. Legend has it that Muhammad, who received the Word of God directly from the Archangel Gabriel, was one day tricked by the devil into including satanic verses in the holy book of the Qur'an. Salman Rushdie's fictional version of this tale features the Prophet Mahound, founder of a religion called Submission. The social and political pressures faced by the very human Mahound tempt him to speak false verses to the people of Jahilia in the hopes of gaining personal power and prestige. Mahound repents of his actions and recants the satanic verses. His disciples applaud his courage in standing up to the pressures placed upon him by the evil Grandee of Jahilia and his beautiful wife, Hind. As Mahound's power grows, he triumphs over his former enemies and all the citizens...

O my vanity I am an arrogant man, is this weakness, is it just a dream of power? Must I betray myself for a seat on the council? Is this sensible and wise or is it hollow and self-loving? I don’t even know if the Grandee is sincere. Does he know? Perhaps not even he. I am weak and he’s strong, the offer gives him many ways of ruining me. But I, too, have much to gain. The souls of the city, of the world, surely they are worth three angels? Is Allah so unbending that he will not embrace three more to save the human race?—I don’t know anything. –Should God be proud or humble, majestic or simple, yielding or un-? What kind of idea is he? What kind am I...

Last edited by lightgiver; 27-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Banned

The mark of good writing is how much more you pick up each time you read it, I've been through this book a few times in the past couple of decades and each time I've been astounded at the new subtleties and nuances in the story that I never noticed the previous times.

An excellent piece of literature.

*edit* Found this for the curious:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/anglop...es/svnotes.pdf

Last edited by 858672; 27-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.
858672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
blackyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgiver View Post
The story of The Satanic Verses chronicles an ancient legend about the Prophet Muhammad, founder of the Islamic religion. Legend has it that Muhammad, who received the Word of God directly from the Archangel Gabriel, was one day tricked by the devil into including satanic verses in the holy book of the Qur'an. Salman Rushdie's fictional version of this tale features the Prophet Mahound, founder of a religion called Submission. The social and political pressures faced by the very human Mahound tempt him to speak false verses to the people of Jahilia in the hopes of gaining personal power and prestige. Mahound repents of his actions and recants the satanic verses. His disciples applaud his courage in standing up to the pressures placed upon him by the evil Grandee of Jahilia and his beautiful wife, Hind. As Mahound's power grows, he triumphs over his former enemies and all the citizens...

O my vanity I am an arrogant man, is this weakness, is it just a dream of power? Must I betray myself for a seat on the council? Is this sensible and wise or is it hollow and self-loving? I don’t even know if the Grandee is sincere. Does he know? Perhaps not even he. I am weak and he’s strong, the offer gives him many ways of ruining me. But I, too, have much to gain. The souls of the city, of the world, surely they are worth three angels? Is Allah so unbending that he will not embrace three more to save the human race?—I don’t know anything. –Should God be proud or humble, majestic or simple, yielding or un-? What kind of idea is he? What kind am I...
Some people have a very warped sense of what GOOD is!

There is no defence against an evil which only the victims and the perpetrators know exists.

Last edited by merlincove; 27-10-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: quote - moved material
blackyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
merlincove
Premier Subscribers

Moderator Note:

I have moved a number of none topical posts to a stand alone thread in the Political Manipulation forum here:

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=188385

and would ask that members pleasee reamin topical in respect to the OP.

thanks

Last edited by merlincove; 27-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
merlincove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincove View Post
Moderator Note:

I have moved a number of none topical posts to a stand alone thread in the Political Manipulation forum here:

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=188385

and would ask that members pleasee reamin topical in respect to the OP.

thanks
I don't understand what's happened here Am I missing something? Probably my age, not as mentally able as I once was