Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Entertainment Industry > The Sports Bar

Old 15-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #21
hokuspokus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronisron View Post
I like it. The spectacle of it is great. I would like to show you all this, it's a fight between Gene Lebell and a ranked light heavyweight boxer named Milo Savage. It was supposed to be a sparring session with an amateur but during the course of setting up the fight, along came Savage with the instruction that this was a real fight. Gene was a National, decorated Judo Champion, and Milo Savage was ranked #5 at light heavyweight, with a strong amateur wrestling background. First televised MMA fight, it was 1964.

Obviously somewhat different, as we're talking Marquis of Queensbury rules, 10 oz gloves and what will no doubt be at least a 20 x 20 (maybe 22 x 22) ring. I think a real fight will erupt, and while conventional wisdom says Mayweather will win, easily, it's just not that way. I scored the first Maidana fight a draw, anyone on here who scores fights, do the same and see if you don't wind up with the same result. He took it to, and put it on Floyd for 12 rounds because he was unconventional and a bull.

McGregor isn't looking to box Mayweather, he's looking to land significant strikes..... Let that sink in for a second. He has a much different approach to his offense than a boxer does. Floyd has all the boxing down to a science and is not preparing for anything but doing what he always does. There's a very good possibility that Conor cracks him with something as he starts off the fight showing Floyd "looks" that he is not used to, and McGregor definitely has power. Floyd is also older, slower, and he does have brittle hands. This is not a one sided thing, it's not that simple.

As for location. The US promotions base their success off PPV numbers, not a live gate. 20,000 at the T-Mobile in Vegas paying jacked up prices for everything involved, and the 4-5 mil who will shell out $100 for the TV show is how this will profit everyone involved. Vegas allows fighters to use novocaine to numb sore hands, or knees, etc, prior to the fight, and allows for between round rehydration with electrolytes. Floyd has a bad shoulder and notoriously brittle hands. It IS a testament to how great he was that he never punched with full power in all his fights since Gatti, but was still able to control much bigger guys with "just enough" power and that incredible defense.

But it's a circus and a freakshow. As was suggested, Sept 16th is Canelo vs 666. I mean GGG, my bad. It's just too obvious on his logo. He's aligned with the "right" people. As is Conor McGregor.... in case folks didn't notice, this is how he is being welcomed into the "club" of multi million dollar athletes, with what should amount to be 50-100 million. Why go back to the UFC? He may have a couple of high profile boxing matches depending on whether he beats, or has a good strong showing against Floyd. I hope he tries to take Floyd's head off and has some success.

Nothing against Floyd, but go away already. It's done.

Sorry Ron. You usually talk sense however.....

McGregor has nothing that Floyd has not seen or heard already.

If it were that easy then why hasn't Connor filled his bank balance
fighting World no.2s and 3s instead of earning 2 bob in MMA?

As I have already said he is not even the best boxer in Ireland.
hokuspokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #22
mark2015

I can't understand how people would pay 100 dollars to watch this on TV.

Have people got money to burn in the states ?
mark2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 12:31 AM   #23
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuspokus View Post
Sorry Ron. You usually talk sense however.....

Quote:

McGregor has nothing that Floyd has not seen or heard already.
Yes he does. His attack and foot movement are much different than a conventional boxer's. He fights in a combat sport, and has beaten many guys using his fists. Anyone that can put together a fight plan and has experience fighting in a combat sport that employs boxing has a chance. Plus, Floyd really isn't going to do anything different than he's always done. I don't think Conor is afraid to crowd Floyd and try to rough him up a little, and I don't think he is too concerned with Floyd's power.

Quote:
If it were that easy then why hasn't Connor filled his bank balance
fighting World no.2s and 3s instead of earning 2 bob in MMA?
I never said it would be easy, he would have to be riding some significant good fortune if he catches Floyd early like he did to Aldo or something. I'm just saying he has a chance, he can definitely hurt Floyd if he can hit him, he enjoys a significant size, strength and power advantage, and like he said, he'd kill Floyd in any kind of real fight. Conor gives up every advantage here, including 10 oz gloves, 12 three minute rounds and a large square, as opposed to a decent sized octagon.

He's an MMA fighter, who does MMA, not boxing, it's worth it to step up for 100 million to fight anyone IMO, in any discipline. He has made significantly more money than any other MMA fighter, and as I said that's what he is. Boxers tend to fight boxers, and MMA guys tend to fight MMA guys.

Conor said he'd like to continue with boxing but I'm sure that's pending the outcome of this one. And BTW, not all 2 and 3 ranked guys can help you earn 100 mil for a fight in another discipline... none in fact. He's got the only guy who can.

Quote:
As I have already said he is not even the best boxer in Ireland.
No, but I bet he's the best fighter there. The reality is, man to man, aren't too many boxers beating him in a street fight. definitely not Floyd. Agreed?
ronisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #24
derekbuttery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2015 View Post
I can't understand how people would pay 100 dollars to watch this on TV.

Have people got money to burn in the states ?
high speed net connection C$70 per month, decent VPN C$60 lifetime subscription (and KNOW how to route it ), and a decent enough source form TOR C$0.00, loadsa beer n chips n dips a few lads at C$20 per man and bob's yer uncle.... free fight free beer greta night in
Old 16-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #25
dmckenna

There's a reason Conor McGregor wants to get Paulie Malignaggi in for sparring. If he dared spar the likes of Spence or any of the top welterweights or 154 pounders which would be more beneficial, he would get sparked out cold.

Paulie will take the money and give him "work".

I still can't shake the cynicism that this fight has an agreed outcome as I mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 16-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #26
the mighty zhiba
Inactive

Quote:

No, but I bet he's the best fighter there. The reality is, man to man, aren't too many boxers beating him in a street fight. definitely not Floyd. Agreed?
But, is it a street fight?

i must admit i'm confused about what is happening here. Piey calls out Money, and it's suddenly on... but how is 'it on' exactly - what rules are they on to?

It's pretty simple really, if Money gets a shot, then it will be over, and i can't see him defending against a hard knock out blow, that will come in either one hit or a tactical combo - probably the later.

But either way, i think it's just a bad image for Mayweather tbf.

And the question is - how th ehell do these boxers end up 'skint'?

Same question to Nigel Benn, is it money or ego that puts them into the ring for these multi million dollar fights?

I find it hard to get my head around how a boxer who has earned not just millions, r even tens of millions, but $179,808,511 from his fight with Pacquiao (and that is just one fight) 'needs the money' that badly?

Ok, the numbers being bandied around are ridicuous, and sure if someone throws $200 million at you, it is tempting to take the pay cheque.

But, lets not fall for this 'needs the money' line we keep being thrown.

Boxers like Mayweather (and he's not the only name to be 'doing it for the money) really need to look into how they are financing their lives if they can get through hundreds of millions - one fight earing $100 million is retirement money, surely?

And the thing is, people will spend money on this farse.

Now, what about Benn Jnr v Eubank Jnr?

^ that will be worth the money
the mighty zhiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #27
hokuspokus

Quote:

He maybe the best brawler between the 2 but if Floyd boxes and doesn't allow the fight to
turn into a brawl (see previous comment on Hagler-Hearns) then only one winner .
The fight isn't happening in the street or a cage or a car park . It is in the ring.

Connor McGregor , as good as he is at his sport , would not beat, for example, a Greco wrestling champion at Greco Wrestling. He would get tied in knots. And that's a fact and IMO rediculous to suggest anything other.

Old 16-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #28
tinfoil hat

Mayweather asked for an extension on his tax from the IRS.

He is skint.
tinfoil hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mighty zhiba View Post

i must admit i'm confused about what is happening here. Piey calls out Money, and it's suddenly on... but how is 'it on' exactly - what rules are they on to?

It's pretty simple really, if Money gets a shot, then it will be over, and i can't see him defending against a hard knock out blow, that will come in either one hit or a tactical combo - probably the later.

Same question to Nigel Benn, is it money or ego that puts them into the ring for these multi million dollar fights?

I find it hard to get my head around how a boxer who has earned not just millions, r even tens of millions, but $179,808,511 from his fight with Pacquiao (and that is just one fight) 'needs the money' that badly?

Ok, the numbers being bandied around are ridicuous, and sure if someone throws $200 million at you, it is tempting to take the pay cheque.

Boxers like Mayweather (and he's not the only name to be 'doing it for the money) really need to look into how they are financing their lives if they can get through hundreds of millions - one fight earing $100 million is retirement money, surely?

The beauty of earning hundreds of millions of dollars and being black in the US always seems to come with massive tax problems, burning through money, and all the rest..... Unless you play along, that is. To earn that much and to move into the stratosphere of those money earners means you are joining a certain club. In any business. McGregor is being welcomed into that club at the same time that Floyd has been granted a stay, and a chance to clear up all his problems -- whilst both are making many more millions for Showtime and the UFC.

The UFC was bought by an entertainment conglomerate for $4 billion. Absurd and it's all just numbers being bandied around -- it's not actual currency. Most UFC fighters are not paid what they are worth and some top stars make in the high thousands while generating millions. It went from mafia connected straight to the top of the power structure in entertainment. This is a whole new game. Conor is their face. It doesn't hurt him in any way to step in the ring with the arguably the best boxer of all time and fight him at his own game. I should say it doesn't hurt his credibility in any way, or potential to still earn money in other endeavours, it makes him look fearless, and no one expects him to win anyway.

I was only pointing out that while Conor is not the best boxer in Ireland, I bet he's the best fighter there. He beats any boxer in a real fight, unless they catch him coming in. He is a combat sport competitor, he uses his fists, he is one of the best at what he does. And he has a chance in a fight with Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match, but if he doesn't catch him early, Floyd will use every inch of what will undoubtedly be a very large ring to avoid contact and will pot shot all night to a late stoppage or decision, with the D most likely. It'll be a better fight than most people think if the intent here is to actually fight.

On the flipside, Mayweather stands a lesser chance in the octagon. There's a lot more coming at you in the UFC than there is in a boxing ring. I don't think anyone likes Mayweather's chances in an octagon.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #30
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:

Conor, ahem, Benn needs a bit more experience and we'll see how he goes. Eubank Jr is a different fighter than his father was, they don't look or fight alike. Eubank Jr is really good, and is trouble for anyone between 160-168. Great job against Abraham yesterday. Abe is a bit shopworn but durable and a good test.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #31
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
He maybe the best brawler between the 2 but if Floyd boxes and doesn't allow the fight to
turn into a brawl (see previous comment on Hagler-Hearns) then only one winner .
The fight isn't happening in the street or a cage or a car park . It is in the ring.

Connor McGregor , as good as he is at his sport , would not beat, for example, a Greco wrestling champion at Greco Wrestling. He would get tied in knots. And that's a fact and IMO rediculous to suggest anything other.

It's not a wrestling match. It's a standup fight, which is where Conor excels. His next fight in the UFC is against Khabib, who is an extremely talented wrestler. Here you go, Khabib Nurmagomedov highlights.

If you want to look up Khabib vs bear -- when he was 9 or 10 he used to wrestle yearling bears. As one of the comments said "You don't get more Russian that that." Maybe you'd be impressed if Conor beats him, it's a 50/50 fight.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoil hat View Post
Mayweather asked for an extension on his tax from the IRS.

He is skint.
He shouldn't be though. The consistency with which some people rise and fall regardless of how much they make is staggering. They will just take it from you unless you play along. Bill Gates has been worth billions since the 90's, and in the early 2000's he was facing financial ruin as the "government" decided that they didn't like how he monopolized PC programs. They were going to divide Microsoft into two companies, one of which would be run by Gates, the other was to be run by a committee....

Anyway, it didn't happen. Bill got richer than ever and now is helping to kill people in Africa so he can stay in that club. Mayweather assumes he can play how he wants but it doesn't work that way. He has a choice; play along, or we take everything and you have to fight again. And again. For higher stakes every time. Mayweather is a great boxer, but I was glad when he retired. He held the sport hostage for the last few years.
Old 16-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #33
hokuspokus

Quote:
It's not a wrestling match. It's a standup fight, which is where Conor excels. His next fight in the UFC is against Khabib, who is an extremely talented wrestler. Here you go, Khabib Nurmagomedov highlights.

If you want to look up Khabib vs bear -- when he was 9 or 10 he used to wrestle yearling bears. As one of the comments said "You don't get more Russian that that." Maybe you'd be impressed if Conor beats him, it's a 50/50 fight.
"It's a stand up fight, which is where Connor excels"
Seriously Ron , that is where Mayweather excels especially the boxing discipline.
Anywho, never mind the bollocks, if anyone wants to offer me evs on the fight
then please get in touch ......
Old 16-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #34
dmckenna

Quote:

Sorry Mighty Zhiba but Conor Benn is awful. He will be lucky to get past British level and is significantly smaller than Eubank who is world class. Benn is looking to fight at 140lbs and Eubank says he will fight between 160-168, so the fight will never be feasible. They are different worlds in terms of talent anyway. He is a cocky wee twat as well, much worse than Jnr and that's saying something!

A lot of hardcore fans love to shit on Eubank Jr but I think he is the real deal and will win this upcoming super 8 tournament if he doesn't pull out. Massive IF there.

Last edited by dmckenna; 16-07-2017 at 07:11 PM.
dmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #35
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
"It's a stand up fight, which is where Connor excels"
Seriously Ron , that is where Mayweather excels especially the boxing discipline.
Anywho, never mind the bollocks, if anyone wants to offer me evs on the fight
then please get in touch ......
I didn't say he was going to win, just saying anyone who says he doesn't have a chance is wrong. He's a live dog. Especially early.
Old 16-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #36
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckenna View Post
Sorry Mighty Zhiba but Conor Benn is awful. He will be lucky to get past British level and is significantly smaller than Eubank who is world class. Benn is looking to fight at 140lbs and Eubank says he will fight between 160-168, so the fight will never be feasible. They are different worlds in terms of talent anyway. He is a cocky wee twat as well, much worse than Jnr and that's saying something!

A lot of hardcore fans love to shit on Eubank Jr but I think he is the real deal and will win this upcoming super 8 tournament if he doesn't pull out. Massive IF there.
Eubank Jr has a great chance.

His first fight is against that guy Yildrim who has been nick named "The Dentist" for breaking teeth. He broke James DeGale's teeth in sparring for the Badou Jack fight, but has also done it to other guys too. So he apparently has a good punch. So does Eubank though, especially that uppercut from in close. If he gets past the first tough test, I really like his chances. Groves, I'm sorry to say, won that title and that may be it. He'll lose during the tourney, he's just left a little too much of himself in the ring already.
Old 17-07-2017, 02:28 AM   #37
dmckenna

Quote:
Eubank Jr has a great chance.

His first fight is against that guy Yildrim who has been nick named "The Dentist" for breaking teeth. He broke James DeGale's teeth in sparring for the Badou Jack fight, but has also done it to other guys too. So he apparently has a good punch. So does Eubank though, especially that uppercut from in close. If he gets past the first tough test, I really like his chances. Groves, I'm sorry to say, won that title and that may be it. He'll lose during the tourney, he's just left a little too much of himself in the ring already.
Ive never seen Yildrim. I knew about him because of the DeGale sparring stories and what he was saying on social media about it. A lot of the 'hardcores' reckon he will give Junior hell, but a lot of the aforementioned 'hardcores' like to shit on Eubank. Apparently he's similar to Eubank in that he will come forward continuously which Jnr likes.

A lot of people are high on Groves and most seem to be tipping him to win the tournament but I don't see it. I agree with your view on him. Eubank would stop him late IMO when he gases as he tends to do. Hope I'm wrong as I like 'The Saint' and will be hoping he wins. Also may I add, as I said before, I think Eubank will pull out at one point.

What about the Cruiserweights? Very strong tournament and most seem to be picking Usyk but I can see an underdog winning it, possibly Gassiev. Dorticos is the only one I haven't seen but I've heard he's a very live underdog.

Last edited by dmckenna; 17-07-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 17-07-2017, 02:49 AM   #38
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Ive never seen Yildrim. I knew about him because of the DeGale sparring stories and what he was saying on social media about it. A lot of the 'hardcores' reckon he will give Junior hell, but a lot of the aforementioned 'hardcores' like to shit on Eubank. Apparently he's similar to Eubank in that he will come forward continuously which Jnr likes.
There's footage of Yildrim on YouTube. I think it's a very tough fight for Junior. Definitely. He looked good yesterday, but Abraham is stationary, and comes forward all fight. Yildrim is a beast, but he is limited. It's his durability and chin, coupled with the come forward style and tenacity that make him dangerous in a sense that he could rock Jr and take him out at any time and late into the fight. A bit better than a punchers chance, he'll try to make it a grueling fight.

Quote:
A lot of people are high on Groves and most seem to be tipping him to win the tournament but I don't see it. I agree with your view on him. Eubank would stop him late IMO when he gases as he tends to do. Hope I'm wrong as I like 'The Saint' and will be hoping he wins. Also may I add, as I said before, I think Eubank will pull out at one point.
I like Groves too, his title winning fight was great -- he just kept punching until the ref stopped it. He's lucky too, because he surely killed his arms there. I just think that he's been in some tough fights, the vicious KO loss to Froch, and then obviously having something taken out of him by seriously hurting the man in his previous fight he doesn't really have the momentum moving forward that winning a title should give him. Eubank might pull out if a more lucrative offer comes along, but I think this is good for him and winning it all would put him in a higher tax bracket for sure.

Quote:
What about the Cruiserweights? Very strong tournament and most seem to be picking Usyk but I can see an underdog winning it, possibly Gassiev. Dorticos is the only one I haven't seen but I've heard he's a very live underdog.
Usyk is great. Is Huck in it? I think he's nearly done as championship caliber but he's good as a test and can possibly be a spoiler. Gassiev.... hopefully they have stringent drug testing. Boxing is on the incline again, and as long as they keep putting on great fights, limiting the robberies and no one gets seriously hurt, this whole series will be great.
Old 17-07-2017, 04:34 AM   #39
dmckenna

Quote:
There's footage of Yildrim on YouTube. I think it's a very tough fight for Junior. Definitely. He looked good yesterday, but Abraham is stationary, and comes forward all fight. Yildrim is a beast, but he is limited. It's his durability and chin, coupled with the come forward style and tenacity that make him dangerous in a sense that he could rock Jr and take him out at any time and late into the fight. A bit better than a punchers chance, he'll try to make it a grueling fight.

I like Groves too, his title winning fight was great -- he just kept punching until the ref stopped it. He's lucky too, because he surely killed his arms there. I just think that he's been in some tough fights, the vicious KO loss to Froch, and then obviously having something taken out of him by seriously hurting the man in his previous fight he doesn't really have the momentum moving forward that winning a title should give him. Eubank might pull out if a more lucrative offer comes along, but I think this is good for him and winning it all would put him in a higher tax bracket for sure.

Usyk is great. Is Huck in it? I think he's nearly done as championship caliber but he's good as a test and can possibly be a spoiler. Gassiev.... hopefully they have stringent drug testing. Boxing is on the incline again, and as long as they keep putting on great fights, limiting the robberies and no one gets seriously hurt, this whole series will be great.
I've definitely put all my chips in on Eubank on the message boards I sometimes go on. We will see if he can live up to it.

Groves looked like a broken man completely after the Froch loss. Heck, he did for a couple of years afterwards. Its nice to see him look a bit more jovial in interviews these days especially after beating Chudinov.

Yep, Usyk got the first pick in the tournament and he rightly chose Huck. Style match up is perfect for Usyk and as you touched on, Huck is done at the top level for me. I don't know what's harder to believe, that Huck is only 32 (seems like he's been about forever) or Gassiev being 23!!

I agree, it's been a great year with some great match ups. This tournament should run smoother than the Super Six from earlier in the decade as its a straight knockout and fighters who have lost don't need to hang around. The Cruiserweight is extremely strong and although the Super Middleweight isn't near as strong, I'm still looking forward to it. Great stuff.

Last edited by dmckenna; 17-07-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #40
ronisron
Inactive

http://www.boxingscene.com/mcgregor-...munity--118602

Quote:
McGregor: There is A lot of Fear in The Boxing Community!

By Chisanga Malata, courtesy of The Daily Star

CONOR MCGREGOR is adamant he will shock the boxing world.
On August 26, the reigning UFC lightweight champion will take on Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match.

Mayweather vs. McGregor, a fight which just a few short months ago seemed like a pipe dream, takes place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

McGregor, 29, will enter his bout with 40-year-old Mayweather having never set foot inside the boxing ring.

His lack of pro boxing experience has led many to predict an easy victory for 'Money' Mayweather, who came out of retirement in March.

McGregor is well aware of what his detractors' thoughts on his chances of becoming the first man to beat Mayweather.

And in a media scrum after the second press conference of the pair's international tour, Ireland's first UFC belt holder sent a chilling message to all his doubters, particularly those in the boxing world.

“No one knows what’s coming, and that’s why there’s a lot of fear in the boxing community and in his camp," he said.

"They don’t know what to expect. I’m going to come out a lot different. I am fighting. He’s boxing. The two worlds collide.

While Mayweather has seen and done it all in the boxing ring, McGregor believes the former five-weight world champion has never encountered an opponent like himself.

“I just don’t think he’s ever seen anything like this,’’ a fired up McGregor added.

I don’t think the boxing world has ever seen this kind of power, this kind of velocity, this type of movement. These attacks are different.

“Until you’ve seen the traditional martial arts style against a flat-footed style like boxing, you can’t compare. “I have the footwork advantage by a mile
.”
I like his confidence. He has a point and like I said will be going in with the approach of fighting a match with only hands coming back at him, and looking to land significant strikes martial arts style against a man who is boxing.

McGregor's chance is to get to Mayweather early and land something big, or it's going to be a long night. Mayweather beating him by decisiuon or late stoppage is what everyone expects, and the fact that Mayweather is claiming victory number 50 if he wins this is asinine. The most exciting, pleasing outcome here is having Conor KO Mayweather quickly, and spectacularly. Let's be honest.

I'm a boxing fan, but I like other combat sports. I am not a recent convert to UFC, but I've definitely watched more boxing than any other kind of martial art. I just think McGregor has a certain thing about him that is unique. Besides the introduction of the word "Fook" to everyday North American life. It's a few weeks away. Then Canelo vs 666.