Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default Life before the internet...

Before the internet, if you made friends with someone, for example if you were studying and they lived far away, in order to stay in touch you'd have to give each other your home addresses. Today anyone who asked for those details would be seen as a potential scammer or a government spy. Probably both.

Before the internet, most would have thought that a 'search engine' was a kind of train used by Scotland Yard to catch escaped prisoners.

Before the internet, if you wanted to keep in touch with someone in the same town, you'd have to either exchange phone numbers, or (gulp) meet them face to face.

Back then we didn't have Google. In the words of Alan Gordon Partridge: 'If you wanted to work out if something was possible, you'd have to try it for yourself. Terrible business.'
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Before the internet, if a musician wanted to learn a song, they sat down with their instrument, played the track over and over and by trial and error, at some point they'd have it nailed.

These days, people just go to Youtube to get a "tutorial" made by a chap sat in his grubby kitchen, playing a cheap-but-functional Casio keyboard. Who then gets thousands of hits and is hailed "a genius", "Dude, you rock!" and so on. And so forth.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
iamawaveofthesea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26,740
Likes: 13,667 (7,885 Posts)
Default

Before the internet if you wanted to call someone you could look up their number in the yellow pages and give them a call!

Before the internet we weren't being exposed to harmful wifi microwaves
__________________
when the people in power want you dead, just existing is a revolutionary act
iamawaveofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

When kids said they wanted to 'do games', it meant going out into the fresh air, running around and having a great time.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
oneriver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 4,074
Likes: 2,983 (1,667 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
Before the internet, if you made friends with someone, for example if you were studying and they lived far away, in order to stay in touch you'd have to give each other your home addresses. Today anyone who asked for those details would be seen as a potential scammer or a government spy. Probably both.

Before the internet, most would have thought that a 'search engine' was a kind of train used by Scotland Yard to catch escaped prisoners.

Before the internet, if you wanted to keep in touch with someone in the same town, you'd have to either exchange phone numbers, or (gulp) meet them face to face.

Back then we didn't have Google. In the words of Alan Gordon Partridge: 'If you wanted to work out if something was possible, you'd have to try it for yourself. Terrible business.'
And, during student days if you wanted to visit someone in a flat with no landline you had to....wait for it....physically walk around there and ring their doorbell, not knowing if they were in or out or in the bath!

My teenager is sick of me telling this story...

__________________
“Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?" That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere and that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future.” ? Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Y Gwir Erbyn Y Byd ("Truth Against the World") - Druidic Motto

Last edited by oneriver; 17-03-2018 at 09:51 AM.
oneriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Aye, in my day (pre-MySpace) there was none of this 'updating your status' malarkey. You just got a marker pen and wrote on the subway wall, i.e. the sandwich shop and actual subways. To be fair, people still do.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
cafe beelzebub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,112
Likes: 353 (180 Posts)
Default

I love the internet.

Everything was grey and boring before the internet.
cafe beelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
decim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 16,137
Likes: 2,985 (1,695 Posts)
Default

__________________
DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental. Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
Likes: (2)
decim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe beelzebub View Post
I love the internet.

Everything was grey and boring before the internet.
Had it been there when I was a teen (I'm not implying you're a teen, btw!), and mobile phones and all the rest, I'd have been all over them. It has its up and downside.

I have a love/hate thing with it but it's here to stay. I just remember the value of life before then, which I think lots of kids today miss out on.

Last edited by decode reality; 17-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Likes: (2)
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

I think life was quite grey before I left school in the early eighties. I don't know whether it was due to the uniform or the weather, or just the general atmosphere of having to conform - but my memories of school are like looking at a black and white film, where the weather is overcast. Very monochrome.

For some perhaps this is how the internet age compares to the world that preceded it.

Last edited by decode reality; 17-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Sabrina
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 480
Likes: 367 (227 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
When kids said they wanted to 'do games', it meant going out into the fresh air, running around and having a great time.
No we had Atari - so space invaders was what playing games meant lol
(plus roller skating and cycling in gangs)
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
andy1033
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,657
Likes: 1,537 (885 Posts)
Default

My attitude is the past was rubbish, and the future is rubbish.

So for me, there is always pluses and minuses about any time, and whether you were born here or then.
__________________
"You put 10 tonnes of proof in front of people, if they are not ready to accept an idea, they will not accept the proof. No amount of evidence will suffice to prove anything, it is the jury that will decide, and you are the jury."
William Cooper - behold a pale horse video
^^
So true
Likes: (1)
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
No we had Atari - so space invaders was what playing games meant lol
(plus roller skating and cycling in gangs)
Yep, true. And I suppose cyberspace is cheaper than Space Invaders was when you tot it up.

Last edited by decode reality; 17-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Likes: (1)
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1033 View Post
My attitude is the past was rubbish, and the future is rubbish.

So for me, there is always pluses and minuses about any time, and whether you were born here or then.
'And today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.'

But today is rubbish as well, right? You forgot to put that. Quite unusual for you, which I think shows some growth.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
ink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 603
Likes: 280 (197 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
'And today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.'
Off topic but if I may....

I consider it to be the present as it is previously sent....as in already authored in the individual future, then sent downstream to the 'now'.......but nothing to do with any 'fate'!

Also a quick rant (more on topic but not quite)....What is with people sending text messages! Really winds me up.

Phone me ffs

It must take longer (even with predictive crap, although if a computer can 'guess' what you wish to state then you better start to have some more original thoughts) to type a text -> send it to me -> I read it -> type a reply -> send it back - > and you read it.......then it would if you just called me ffs

I now have told people....Dont text me, I will not reply at all, call me......BUT they still text me?????

/rant

sorry, nice thread and I would emp the whole world (come on my Sun get it on)
Likes: (1)
ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
andy1033
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,657
Likes: 1,537 (885 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
'And today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.'

But today is rubbish as well, right? You forgot to put that. Quite unusual for you, which I think shows some growth.
You are just being pedantic there. You know i mean the present too.
__________________
"You put 10 tonnes of proof in front of people, if they are not ready to accept an idea, they will not accept the proof. No amount of evidence will suffice to prove anything, it is the jury that will decide, and you are the jury."
William Cooper - behold a pale horse video
^^
So true
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1033 View Post
You are just being pedantic there. You know i mean the present too.
Oh yes, I knew alright. Call it an educated guess.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #18
tom bombadil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At home. In London. In the hub of it all.
Posts: 4,455
Likes: 904 (465 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
Before the internet, if a musician wanted to learn a song, they sat down with their instrument, played the track over and over and by trial and error, at some point they'd have it nailed.

These days, people just go to Youtube to get a "tutorial" made by a chap sat in his grubby kitchen, playing a cheap-but-functional Casio keyboard. Who then gets thousands of hits and is hailed "a genius", "Dude, you rock!" and so on. And so forth.
One could by sheet music too to help with the tune...but you needed to not just play by ear but by reading the music!
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
tom bombadil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At home. In London. In the hub of it all.
Posts: 4,455
Likes: 904 (465 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
When kids said they wanted to 'do games', it meant going out into the fresh air, running around and having a great time.
Yeah and though not truly web related, if your mate popped round to ask your mum if you were "coming out" it meant something else!

Likes: (2)
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #20
decode reality
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 24,061
Likes: 4,369 (2,796 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
One could by sheet music too to help with the tune...but you needed to not just play by ear but by reading the music!
Yes that's right, if they read music, but there was so much that could only be learnt by your own efforts. There was no-one to spell it out note for note each time you wanted to learn a new tune. It was a good thing, from a creative point of view.

Last edited by decode reality; 17-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Likes: (1)
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.