Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Ancient & Forbidden Knowledge / False History

Old 11-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
jojo

Default Megalithic sites, please share your favorite..

I love all things megalithic. Stone circles, cairns, standing stones, henges, barrows. I thought i would start a thread where we can all share our favorite spots with one another.

jojo
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
jojo

Default The devils ring and finger,shropshire

This used to be a part of an entrance to a long barrow, now long forgotten. Its not well known and you need to dodge some electric fencing to get to it but its an absolute gem! It outside a Village called Norton in Hayles, in Shropshire.

(figure for scale)

* Please note, i am not the photographer*
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
jojo

Default Doll Tor, Derbyshire

This is such a magical little circle, so perfectly formed. Its well tended too by local wickans. beautiful in its petite perfection.

Figure for scale

Please note, I am not the photographer
Old 11-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
jojo

Default Avebury!

Im sure folk on here will be able to write a much better appraisal of avebury than i, so i will just post some photographs!

please note, I am not the photographer
Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
endlessvista
Inactive

at the sake of being called parochial...

Newgrange in County Meath

Carrowmore in County Sligo
endlessvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
jojo

Default Mitchels fold, Shropshire

Again, another powerfull circle. there are a lot of stones missing but the setting is just pure breathtaking! Perched high up on moorland overlooking the rolling shropshire hills.

View from the circle

please note i am not the photographer
Old 11-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessvista View Post
at the sake of being called parochial...

Newgrange in County Meath

Carrowmore in County Sligo
oh wow! ive always wanted to go there! love the dolmen btw!
Old 11-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
jojo

Default Castlerigg stone circle, cumbria

Has to be the most breathtaking location for a stone circle in the world

Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
lookfar

Ah great thread jojo, I also love all things megalithic too!

I'm lucky enough to live in the south so have two of the best (imo) very close to me - Stonehenge & Avebury. However, I've travelled around a bit & have experienced more, but these two still have to be my all time faves

I also want to get to Newgrange sometime soon, would be especially good on the solstice to see the sunrise through the chamber, but I'm not sure if you have to have pre-arranged permission for that or whether it's even possible? Do you have any idea?

Castlerigg is an amazing circle, wow what a view you get from up there!! It was years ago when I was there & recall it being really busy, so unfortunately I didn't experience that many quiet peaceful moments there.

I also want to see the Callanish Stones too, they look awesome.

“It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.” BILL HICKS
http://www.markthomasinfo.com/ http://www.waykiwayki.com/
Dolphins playing in bubble rings
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
jojo

hi lookfar! I want to go to calanish too. I lived in scotland for 9 years but I never got to go there. I think its a must see before I die i think!
Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
lookfar

I also love the Men-An-Tol in Cornwall, an amazing place for sure!

“It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.” BILL HICKS
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
jojo

Default Hellstone barrow, Dorset

I love this dolmen! I feel this dolmen likes me too (shucks)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
I also love the Men-An-Tol in Cornwall, an amazing place for sure!

ah yes, men an tol. i went there on the spring equinox 06. i was totally alone up on that moor as the sun went down and felt a feeing of utter calm and contentment. Its just up the road from lanyon quoit where I had spent the afternoon without meeting a soul.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
lookfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
hi lookfar! I want to go to calanish too. I lived in scotland for 9 years but I never got to go there. I think its a must see before I die i think!
Aw that's a shame, although it does seem quite remote. It's definitely on my list too

This thread's made me get my Modern Antiquarian book by Julian Cope out now, I'm getting itchy feet & wanna see some more sites!! Do you have the book too? It's brilliant imo as it shows ALL the megalithic sites around Britain.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
jojo

Default Laynon Quoit

Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Aw that's a shame, although it does seem quite remote. It's definitely on my list too

This thread's made me get my Modern Antiquarian book by Julian Cope out now, I'm getting itchy feet & wanna see some more sites!! Do you have the book too? It's brilliant imo as it shows ALL the megalithic sites around Britain.
Oh yes! i do! I used to be a national sales manager and my job involved driving all over the country. I would plan my routes via the modern antiquarian book. It was like my bible! lol, Its battered and well used now but has to be one of the best!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
jojo

Default Duloe Stone circle, Cornwall/Devon border

This circle is made of white sparkly quartz crystal. The stones are really quite big the largest i estimate to be about 8-9ft tall. They are truly magical and I felt that the circle had a mystical healing quality.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #18
lookfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
ah yes, men an tol. i went there on the spring equinox 06. i was totally alone up on that moor as the sun went down and felt a feeing of utter calm and contentment. Its just up the road from lanyon quoit where I had spent the afternoon without meeting a soul.
Yeah that's a lovely dolmen in that last post too.

I know what you mean about the Men an Tol, it is another timeless place. I've been there a couple of times over the years & I don't want to leave once I'm there, could spend hours on that moor, although you sometimes get some dodgy weather coming across from the sea!

Other fave places in Cornwall are:

The Cheesewring

The Merry Maidens

Carn Euny Fogou & Village (although I got chased by a bull walking to that place, lol)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
lookfar

Can't forget the Rollright Stones

Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
jojo

Default nine stone close, derbyshire

This is a typical "druid" type circle. There used to be 9 stones but now there are only 4 within the circle itself. there is a 5th stone which has been dragged a few 100 ft away by some farmer in the past and is now part of a dry stone wall.