Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > The Matrix / Nature of Reality

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
demiurge

Default carlos castaneda and the path of the warrior

have you read any of the books of carlos castaneda and the teachings that don huan gave him? what do you think of them? did you find your own path and views on life in them? just your opinios...
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
neutron flux

I've read most of Castaneda's books and enjoyed them. Castaneda is a storyteller through which he explains esoteric concepts. It seems that Don Juan is in fact a composite of different people that carlos came across, although it is not explicitly stated as such in the text. Some of the teachings overlap with Gurdjieffian concepts, although the presentation is very different.
I think the main teachings to take away from Castaneda would be:

Predator's Mind
Petty Tyrant
Overcoming Self Importance
Stalking

Castaneda on the internal predator mind:

"They [the sorcerers of ancient Mexico]discovered that we have a companion for life. We have a predator that came from the depths of the cosmos and took over the rule of our lives. Human beings are its prisoners. The predator is our lord and master. It has rendered us docile, helpless. If we want to protest, it suppresses our protest. If we want to act independently, it demands that we don't do so." […]
You have arrived, by your effort alone, to what the shamans of ancient Mexico called the topic of topics,. I have been beating around the bush all this time, insinuating to you that something is holding us prisoner. Indeed we are held prisoner! This was an energetic fact for the sorcerers of ancient Mexico." " […] They took over because we are food for them, and they squeeze us mercilessly because we are their sustenance. Just as we rear chickens in chicken coops, gallineros, the predators rear us in human coops humaneros. Therefore, their food is always available to them." […]

"I want to appeal to your analytical mind. . Think for a moment, and tell me how you would explain the contradiction between the intelligence of man the engineer and the stupidity of his systems of beliefs, or the stupidity of his contradictory behavior. Sorcerers believe that the predators have given us our systems of beliefs, our ideas of good and evil, our social mores. They are the ones who set up our hopes and expectations and dreams of success or failure. They have given us covetousness, greed, and cowardice. It is the predators who make us complacent, routinary, and egomaniacal." " […] In order to keep us obedient and meek and weak, the predators engage themselves in a stupendous maneuver-stupendous, of course, from the point of view of a fighting strategist. A horrendous maneuver from the point of view of those who suffer it. They gave us their mind! Do you hear me? The predators give us their mind, which becomes our mind. The predators' mind is baroque, contradictory, morose, filled with the fear of being discovered any minute now. "I know that even though you have never suffered hunger, you have food anxiety, which is none other than the anxiety of the predator who fears that any moment now its maneuver is going to be uncovered and food is going to be denied. Through the mind, which, after all, is their mind, the predators inject into the lives of human beings whatever is convenient for them. And they ensure, in this manner, a degree of security to act as a buffer against their fear."

Don Juan continues:

[The sorcerers of ancient Mexico] reasoned that man must have been a complete being at one point, with stupendous insights, feats of awareness that are mythological legends nowadays. And then everything seems to disappear, and we have now a sedated man." […]

what we have against us is not a simple predator. It is very smart, and organized. It follows a methodical system to render us useless. Man, the magical being that he is destined to be, is no longer magical. He's an average piece of meat. There are no more dreams for man but the dreams of an animal who is being raised to become a piece of meat: trite, conventional, imbecilic." […]

"The only alternative left for mankind," he continued, "is discipline. Discipline is the only deterrent. But by discipline I don't mean harsh routines. I don't mean waking up every morning at five-thirty and throwing cold water on yourself until you're blue. Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.') "Sorcerers say that discipline makes the glowing coat of awareness unpalatable to the flyer," […]

"The grand trick of those sorcerers of ancient times, was to burden the flyers' mind with discipline. They found out that if they taxed the flyers' mind with inner silence, the foreign installation would flee, giving to any one of the practitioners involved in this maneuver the total certainty of the mind's foreign origin. The foreign installation comes back, I assure you, but not as strong, and a process begins in which the fleeing of the flyers' mind becomes routine, until one day it flees permanently. A sad day indeed! That's the day when you have to rely on your own devices, which are nearly zero. There's no one to tell you what to do. There's no mind of foreign origin to dictate the imbecilities you're accustomed to. "My teacher, the nagual Julian, used to warn all his disciples," don Juan continued, "that this was the toughest day in a sorcerer's life, for the real mind that belongs to us, the sum total of our experience, after a lifetime of domination has been rendered shy, insecure, and shifty. Personally, I would say that the real battle of sorcerers begins at that moment. The rest is merely preparation." "The flyers' mind flees forever," he said, "when a sorcerer succeeds in grabbing on to the vibrating force that holds us together as a conglomerate of energy fields. If a sorcerer maintains that pressure long enough, the flyers' mind flees in defeat. And that's exactly what you are going to do: hold on to the energy that binds you together."
neutron flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
demiurge

yeah, just read recently the explenation of the predators mind and the flyers. everyone has an interpretation of their own for them, for some they are the reptilians, for some evil of any sort, for some the universal opsticals that lie on our path. i think his books are sincere, i think don huan is not a composite of people that carlos came across, because he gave a very long explenation about why don huan choose him to be the his apprentice(his energy body structure), so i dont think he was made up.

anyway, my opinion is that the books are true (the events), although the events are not so defined and a bit confusing (the cronology).

the interesting thing is also that although they say that he died of liver cancer and his body was sent to L.A., his death(or disappearence) was never quite explained. some even say his they never found his body what leaves me to the question did he set of on his final journey by burstig into concissenes like don huan apparently did.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
catfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron flux View Post
I've read most of Castaneda's books and enjoyed them. Castaneda is a storyteller through which he explains esoteric concepts. It seems that Don Juan is in fact a composite of different people that carlos came across, although it is not explicitly stated as such in the text. Some of the teachings overlap with Gurdjieffian concepts, although the presentation is very different.
I think the main teachings to take away from Castaneda would be:

Predator's Mind
Petty Tyrant
Overcoming Self Importance
Stalking

Castaneda on the internal predator mind:

"They [the sorcerers of ancient Mexico]discovered that we have a companion for life. We have a predator that came from the depths of the cosmos and took over the rule of our lives. Human beings are its prisoners. The predator is our lord and master. It has rendered us docile, helpless. If we want to protest, it suppresses our protest. If we want to act independently, it demands that we don't do so." […]
You have arrived, by your effort alone, to what the shamans of ancient Mexico called the topic of topics,. I have been beating around the bush all this time, insinuating to you that something is holding us prisoner. Indeed we are held prisoner! This was an energetic fact for the sorcerers of ancient Mexico." " […] They took over because we are food for them, and they squeeze us mercilessly because we are their sustenance. Just as we rear chickens in chicken coops, gallineros, the predators rear us in human coops humaneros. Therefore, their food is always available to them." […]

"I want to appeal to your analytical mind. . Think for a moment, and tell me how you would explain the contradiction between the intelligence of man the engineer and the stupidity of his systems of beliefs, or the stupidity of his contradictory behavior. Sorcerers believe that the predators have given us our systems of beliefs, our ideas of good and evil, our social mores. They are the ones who set up our hopes and expectations and dreams of success or failure. They have given us covetousness, greed, and cowardice. It is the predators who make us complacent, routinary, and egomaniacal." " […] In order to keep us obedient and meek and weak, the predators engage themselves in a stupendous maneuver-stupendous, of course, from the point of view of a fighting strategist. A horrendous maneuver from the point of view of those who suffer it. They gave us their mind! Do you hear me? The predators give us their mind, which becomes our mind. The predators' mind is baroque, contradictory, morose, filled with the fear of being discovered any minute now. "I know that even though you have never suffered hunger, you have food anxiety, which is none other than the anxiety of the predator who fears that any moment now its maneuver is going to be uncovered and food is going to be denied. Through the mind, which, after all, is their mind, the predators inject into the lives of human beings whatever is convenient for them. And they ensure, in this manner, a degree of security to act as a buffer against their fear."

Don Juan continues:

[The sorcerers of ancient Mexico] reasoned that man must have been a complete being at one point, with stupendous insights, feats of awareness that are mythological legends nowadays. And then everything seems to disappear, and we have now a sedated man." […]

what we have against us is not a simple predator. It is very smart, and organized. It follows a methodical system to render us useless. Man, the magical being that he is destined to be, is no longer magical. He's an average piece of meat. There are no more dreams for man but the dreams of an animal who is being raised to become a piece of meat: trite, conventional, imbecilic." […]

"The only alternative left for mankind," he continued, "is discipline. Discipline is the only deterrent. But by discipline I don't mean harsh routines. I don't mean waking up every morning at five-thirty and throwing cold water on yourself until you're blue. Sorcerers understand discipline as the capacity to face with serenity odds that are not included in our expectations. For them, discipline is an art: the art of facing infinity without flinching, not because they are strong and tough but because they are filled with awe.') "Sorcerers say that discipline makes the glowing coat of awareness unpalatable to the flyer," […]

"The grand trick of those sorcerers of ancient times, was to burden the flyers' mind with discipline. They found out that if they taxed the flyers' mind with inner silence, the foreign installation would flee, giving to any one of the practitioners involved in this maneuver the total certainty of the mind's foreign origin. The foreign installation comes back, I assure you, but not as strong, and a process begins in which the fleeing of the flyers' mind becomes routine, until one day it flees permanently. A sad day indeed! That's the day when you have to rely on your own devices, which are nearly zero. There's no one to tell you what to do. There's no mind of foreign origin to dictate the imbecilities you're accustomed to. "My teacher, the nagual Julian, used to warn all his disciples," don Juan continued, "that this was the toughest day in a sorcerer's life, for the real mind that belongs to us, the sum total of our experience, after a lifetime of domination has been rendered shy, insecure, and shifty. Personally, I would say that the real battle of sorcerers begins at that moment. The rest is merely preparation." "The flyers' mind flees forever," he said, "when a sorcerer succeeds in grabbing on to the vibrating force that holds us together as a conglomerate of energy fields. If a sorcerer maintains that pressure long enough, the flyers' mind flees in defeat. And that's exactly what you are going to do: hold on to the energy that binds you together."
Shit that really spoke to me.
My dad told me about these books a fue years ago but I never got my hands on them, I just thought thay were idle stories.
Pleas can you tell me more about them.
catfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
chandrakavi
Banned

Talking Osho on Carlos Castañeda

In Osho's book ABSOLUTE TAO, he is asked: "Is Carlos Castañeda's guru,
an enlightened master?

And Osho goes on to say:

"If there were someone like Don Juan---he would be enlightened, he would be a Buddha or a Lao Tzu. But there is nobody like Don Juan. Carlos Castañeda's books are
ninety-nine percent fiction---beautiful, artful, but fiction. As there are scientific fictions, there are spiritual fictions also. (...)

But I say ninety-nine percent fiction. One percent of truth is there, hidden here and there; you will have to find it. It is good even to read it as fiction. (::
Carlos Castañeda is worth reading. When I say fiction I don't mean don't read him,
I mean read him more carefully, because one per cent of thruth is there. You will have to read it very carefully, but don't swallow it completely because it is ninety-nine percent fiction. It can help your growth---it can create a desire to grow. That's why I say it is beutiful. But it can hinder growth also if you take it at its surface value.(::

This man Carlos is really crafty, very clever. Rarely it happens, such cleverness,
to create spiritual fiction is very difficult; one needs a great artistic and imaginary mind. Because things you don't know, how can you ever imagine them? That's why I say one percent of truth is there. On that one percent of truth he has made the whole house, a beautiful palace---a fairy tale. But that one percent of truth is there, otherwise it would
have been impossible.

He must have met somebody; maybe his name was Don Juan, maybe not, that is not material, that doesn't matter. Carlos has come across a being superior to himself,
he has come across a being who knows the secrets. Maybe he has not realized them, maybe he has stolen them, maybe he just borrowed them from someone else.
But he has met somebody who has somehow got some facts of spiritual life an this man has been able to create imagination around it. Imagination becomes possible if you use drugs as a help---very easy, because drugs are nothing but an aid to imagination.
Through drugs, LSD and others, he has projected that small truth into imaginary worlds
Then his whole fiction is created. It is a drug trip, but a good experiment in itself.
And when I say all these things I am not condemning Carlos. In fact I have come to love the man. It is a rare flight of imagination, and if it is 100% fiction then Carlos himself is a rare being.

If he has not come across anybody at all then he must have that one percent of reality in himself. Because otherwise it is impossible---you can build a house on a foundation, even an imaginary house needs a foundation in reality. You can make a house of cards but at least the ground, the solid ground is needed. That much is true.

So read, because you will have to read. Every age has its own fictions, romances; one has to pass through them. You will have to read. You can not escape Carlos Castañeda.
But remember that only 1% is true---you have to find it.

If you have been reading Gurdjieff's books, particularly ALL AND EVERYTHING,
then you can become artful about how to find the true, how to sort chaff from wheat.(::
If you can find the diamonds in Gurdjieff it will be a great training for you. And then you can find in Carlos Castañeda what is true and what is not true. Otherwise you can become a victim of a fiction. And I think many americans particularly are roaming in Mexico in search of Don Juan. Foolish!"

Last edited by chandrakavi; 13-02-2008 at 03:54 AM.
chandrakavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
adimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
have you read any of the books of carlos castaneda and the teachings that don huan gave him? what do you think of them? did you find your own path and views on life in them? just your opinios...
I read all of the Castaneda books as a younger man and really enjoyed them. I was horrified when I later learned that Don Juan was made up and it was all a hoax.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2.../12/castaneda/

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020621.html

http://www.sustainedaction.org/Explo...aniel_noel.htm

http://skepdic.com/castaneda.html

http://www.excludedmiddle.com/castaneda.htm

As fiction though, they still contain many interesting ideas, and are very entertaining - much like "Electric Kool Aid Acid-Test", or "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
"A little boy went out to play. When he opened his door, he saw the world. As he passed through the doorway, he caused a reflection. Evil was born. Evil was born, and followed the boy.....A little girl went out to play. Lost in the marketplace, as if half-born. Then, not through the marketplace - you see that, don't you? - but through the alley behind the marketplace. This is the way to the palace. But it isn't something you remember."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Empire_%28film%29
adimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
hagbard_celine

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimon View Post
I read all of the Castaneda books as a younger man and really enjoyed them. I was horrified when I later learned that Don Juan was made up and it was all a hoax.
Do we know that for definite?

I read the first four, Teachings..., A Separate Reality, Journey to Ixtlan and Tales of Power. I wonder what happened after Carlos jumped off the cliff at the end.

"Because he refused to compete in games for domination he was indomitable."
from The Dispossessed by Ursula le Guin
hagbard_celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
adimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard_celine View Post

I read the first four, Teachings..., A Separate Reality, Journey to Ixtlan and Tales of Power. I wonder what happened after Carlos jumped off the cliff at the end.
Well it's not DEFINITE but the evidence against him is OVERWHELMING. Check out some of the links, and explore further. I'd say 99% he is a fraud.
"A little boy went out to play. When he opened his door, he saw the world. As he passed through the doorway, he caused a reflection. Evil was born. Evil was born, and followed the boy.....A little girl went out to play. Lost in the marketplace, as if half-born. Then, not through the marketplace - you see that, don't you? - but through the alley behind the marketplace. This is the way to the palace. But it isn't something you remember."

Old 13-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
demiurge

Wink

i don t understand what s all the talk about the drug usage with castanedas books. when i was reading fear and loathing in las vegas, there was a section where he mentions castaneda and i had a small * for the explanation bellow the text: carlos castaneda - guru that was popular in the 70-s in south america, popularized drug use and music in his teachings, proclaimed himself world savior and messiah. when i read i knew it was going to be something or someone my mind was going to forget, but then i read some other stuff on the internet and decided to try to read it for myself to see what its all about.

i read the tales of power first (i don t know the cronology of the books and haven t read them all yet), but it immediately came across my mind that the drugs are almost nowhere to be read or heard about. i know he came to south america because of his anthropology studies on the usage of medical herbs and was interested (as many people then were) about pscyhadelics. don huan (as he writes) forbide him to even talk about plants. instead he talked about the path of recapitulation (to forget his past and personal history), search for power, seeing the world as it is, and the final battle with the eagle (or matrix, as you wish). don huan even says he gave him the plants at first only to make him see and feel other states of conciseness, speaking against their usage because they dry out the energy of our energy body. then i realized how many disinformations are going around out there and how people blind in their own convictons about something they don t understand...

weather or not he s a fraud is not important to me (i belive he wasn t a fraud, although i except the possibility he was one). i think we could jabber around till infinity about how something is, was, or will be. don huan (if he is a real life character) would say this is not important, right? i mean who can actualy say they know for sure that all of what we think we know is true and IS. i think there should allways be a MAYBE instead of IS, as R.A.Willson once said.

i just wanted to know if anyone has found their own path in these books wich is probablly one of the most scariest ones in the entire human belief system. imagine just for a second about forgeting your ego, and all you stood for, the people around you and your daily occupations to fight a battle againts something you cannot explain in everyday terms, or even quite understand yourself, and seeing no perks at the end of that road because you could allways end up failing, and the perks themselfs are also indefinete. i mean, you can gain all that power, but what good would it be if you only end up failing and geting back in your original beign withoutany memories of what just happend (reincarnation). anyway, it seems the least selfish way to me, but hey, what do i know i only know what i belive in....
Old 14-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
chandrakavi
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
i don t understand what s all the talk about the drug usage with castanedas books. when i was reading fear and loathing in las vegas, there was a section where he mentions castaneda and i had a small * for the explanation bellow the text: carlos castaneda - guru that was popular in the 70-s in south america, popularized drug use and music in his teachings, proclaimed himself world savior and messiah. when i read i knew it was going to be something or someone my mind was going to forget, but then i read some other stuff on the internet and decided to try to read it for myself to see what its all about.

i read the tales of power first (i don t know the cronology of the books and haven t read them all yet), but it immediately came across my mind that the drugs are almost nowhere to be read or heard about. i know he came to south america because of his anthropology studies on the usage of medical herbs and was interested (as many people then were) about pscyhadelics. don huan (as he writes) forbide him to even talk about plants. instead he talked about the path of recapitulation (to forget his past and personal history), search for power, seeing the world as it is, and the final battle with the eagle (or matrix, as you wish). don huan even says he gave him the plants at first only to make him see and feel other states of conciseness, speaking against their usage because they dry out the energy of our energy body. then i realized how many disinformations are going around out there and how people blind in their own convictons about something they don t understand...

weather or not he s a fraud is not important to me (i belive he wasn t a fraud, although i except the possibility he was one). i think we could jabber around till infinity about how something is, was, or will be. don huan (if he is a real life character) would say this is not important, right? i mean who can actualy say they know for sure that all of what we think we know is true and IS. i think there should allways be a MAYBE instead of IS, as R.A.Willson once said.

i just wanted to know if anyone has found their own path in these books wich is probablly one of the most scariest ones in the entire human belief system. imagine just for a second about forgeting your ego, and all you stood for, the people around you and your daily occupations to fight a battle againts something you cannot explain in everyday terms, or even quite understand yourself, and seeing no perks at the end of that road because you could allways end up failing, and the perks themselfs are also indefinete. i mean, you can gain all that power, but what good would it be if you only end up failing and geting back in your original beign withoutany memories of what just happend (reincarnation). anyway, it seems the least selfish way to me, but hey, what do i know i only know what i belive in....
Years ago i read some books of Carlos Castañeda, many but not all. I liked them then, and still liked them now, his book have a magic that go to your inner self, help you connect wiith the self. Even knowing what is known today, wether Don Juan was real or not,
does not matter to me, he can make you a good seeker, even using spiritual fiction,
all the tricks are good when they lead you to a path. He says that "warrior is impecable",
among all the fiction, there are many phrases of wisdom.

Me and many other friends read him, and also other books by different Masters,
so Carlos Castañeda, even though people do not realize it pushes you into the BIG SCENE,
of meditation, and inner self.

I read in a magazine about 2 to 3 years ago, that castañeda said that his health was
not doing well, that he felt a pain in the chest, which is what is felt when the gods come to take you away. He once more said that Don Juan was real, and said BETWEEN THE LINES, that he was Don Juan.

Much later I learned from the news that Carlos Castañeda had left his body.
Making a balance of things, he was very helpful, in my spritual life, how he lived his,
as all Masters use DEVICES, to make people wake up, is fine with me.
If it left something in me, the man is not a fraud, he may have used fantasy,
but there was something in him that touched my soul, years ago. Knowing all this today, it is still a pleasure to read him.
A fraud is a man who does nothing for you, it is not the case of Castañeda. There is a lot of neat stuff in his book, fantasy mixed with
phrases of wisdom, which are very original, that helped many, as I saw at the time. I didn't want to stay there, thanked him and continued my journey, but liked what Castañeda did for me, and many.
If a book can LEAD you to a good EXPERIENCE, then you can say it is a good book.
:

Last edited by chandrakavi; 14-02-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 14-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
lizzy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrakavi View Post
Years ago i read some books of Carlos Castañeda, many but not all. I liked them then, and still liked them now, his book have a magic that go to your inner self, help you connect wiith the self. Even knowing what is known today, wether Don Juan was real or not,
does not matter to me, he can make you a good seeker, even using spiritual fiction,
all the tricks are good when they lead you to a path. He says that "warrior is impecable",
among all the fiction, there are many phrases of wisdom.

Me and many other friends read him, and also other books by different Masters,
so Carlos Castañeda, even though people do not realize it pushes you into the BIG SCENE,
of meditation, and inner self.

I read in a magazine about 2 to 3 years ago, that castañeda said that his health was
not doing well, that he felt a pain in the chest, which is what is felt when the gods come to take you away. He once more said that Don Juan was real, and said BETWEEN THE LINES, that he was Don Juan.

Much later I learned from the news that Carlos Castañeda had left his body.
Making a balance of things, he was very helpful, in my spritual life, how he lived his,
as all Masters use DEVICES, to make people wake up, is fine with me.
If it left something in me, the man is not a fraud, he may have used fantasy,
but there was something in him that touched my soul, years ago. Knowing all this today, it is still a pleasure to read him.
A fraud is a man who does nothing for you, it is not the case of Castañeda. There is a lot of neat stuff in his book, fantasy mixed with
phrases of wisdom, which are very original, that helped many, as I saw at the time. I didn't want to stay there, thanked him and continued my journey, but liked what Castañeda did for me, and many.
If a book can LEAD you to a good EXPERIENCE, then you can say it is a good book.
:

Hi chandi
Many years ago I started a spiritual journey. Then it faded for various reason.

I do not consider myself to have been a warrior in this arena , returning recently with a new understanding of the real world and how to find my peace in it and grow into myself.

Having said that........I too read his books back when, and enjoyed those flights he took us on very much. Peyote always come to mind.

Last edited by lizzy; 14-02-2008 at 03:06 AM.
lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
adimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrakavi View Post
A fraud is a man who does nothing for you, it is not the case of Castañeda. There is a lot of neat stuff in his book, fantasy mixed with phrases of wisdom
A fraud is someone who lies. He lied. Period.

Old 14-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
chandrakavi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimon View Post
A fraud is someone who lies. He lied. Period.
Seems your opinion IS DEFINITE. In Black and white. Not all subjective experiences are the same,
so I respect All. I am glad you have your view about it.

Last edited by chandrakavi; 14-02-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 14-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
chandrakavi
Banned

Talking Hi Lizzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
Hi chandi
Many years ago I started a spiritual journey. Then it faded for various reason.

I do not consider myself to have been a warrior in this arena , returning recently with a new understanding of the real world and how to find my peace in it and grow into myself.

Having said that........I too read his books back when, and enjoyed those flights he took us on very much. Peyote always come to mind.
Hi Lizzy!

That's fine . I have no recollection of mixing it with anything else but reading, although some may have enjoyed doing it in the 60's. I simply enjoyed it leading me into a good
individual spiritual experience, which go beyond Caastañeda.
In his book THE POWER OF SILENCE, before starting the book, there is a page that says:
WARNING:

Ever SINCE MY WORK WAS FIRST PUBLISHED, I have been asked wether my books are fiction. And I have continually said that what I have done im my books is to describe faithfully the different phases of an instruction method used by Don Juan Matus---
a mexican witch Indian---to teach me to understand the world as a group of premises taht he has called witchcraft.
To learn to use in an itelligent manner the every day world, takes us years of training.
Our preparation, be it the wordly reasoning or in specialized subjects, is very rigurous,
because knowledge that we are tried to give is very complex. Identical criteria can be applied to the world of the witches; their meethods of teachings, that depend on verbal instruction and the manipulation of the awarenes of our being, although different from ours, they are equally strict, since their knowledge is equally or perhaps more, complex than ours."

After reading this, to each as their own experience has been. It has been years now.

Lots of love to you,

Chandrakavi

Last edited by chandrakavi; 14-02-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 16-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #15
chandrakavi
Banned

If Castañeda's books started you on a spiritual path, or waked you up in this sense,
then it was good for all those that obtained the experience reading Don Juan. Spiritual fictions also can be helpful at times.

Last edited by chandrakavi; 16-02-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 17-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #16
demiurge

or non-fictions
Old 17-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
hagbard_celine

Castaneda is similar to The Ringing Cedars of Russia. It could be true and there are many reasons for taking him at his word, but there's always that question mark hanging over it. It could be that this question mark is part of the process; may be we need to learn to understand the value of things that cannot be proved.

"Because he refused to compete in games for domination he was indomitable."
from The Dispossessed by Ursula le Guin
hagbard_celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #18
chandrakavi
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard_celine View Post

In the last pages of THE POWER OF SILENCE by Castañeda
he is asked "how long were you dead, Don Juan? A whole day it seems, he said.
(:: he reminded me that he had taught how warriors act in said siituations. They give the best of themselves and later, without remorse or feeling sorry, they stay quietly and let the spirit decide the result.
Don Juan was thought to be dead and placed by peasants in an artificial tomb. He went back to his benectors house where he was treated as if he had never left. His benefactor told him that the ticket of a witch to go to the impecability was his death. It had been 70 years he had bought the ticket and it was still brand new.

Last edited by chandrakavi; 18-02-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 18-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
demiurge

can you be more precise to what you re aiming at?
Old 18-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
chandrakavi
Banned

Talking

Not sure, seems what happened to Don Juan after he jumped over the cliff,
as hagbard _Celine asked. Not aiming at anything really.Seems to be what happened, and explained in the following book.

Last edited by chandrakavi; 18-02-2008 at 08:19 PM.