Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > The Global Awakening

Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
dusthead

Default Awake! Magazine

Is anyone here aware of this magazine? It's the Jehova's Witness flagship publication -

The Jehova's Witnesses echo many of the sentiments aired on this forum in regard to how they perceive themselves within society. They feel they have a purpose to 'awaken' the rest of society to their 'truth'. There are other religions also that refer to their flock as awake.

What do the people here make of this?

Does it occur to anyone that the word 'awake' often rings alarm bells for those who are rightfully suspicious of certain organised religions and cults?

I don't have a problem with someone informing me about something. However, when someone infers I am 'asleep' simply because I didn't already know that information, it can be a little perplexing.

'Awake' and 'Asleep' have connotations. To say someone is asleep infers that they are ignorant of a basic truth.

I would never begrudge someone a spiritual experience. If someone feels their life has been enriched by something I am very happy for them. What I am wary of, is when someone refers to what they see as unenlightened people as inferior. It is not a strategy that will win the support of opposition as it creates division.

It seems that many people with vastly different beliefs refer to themselves as 'awake'. With so many different explanations as to what this means, who are we to differentiate between the 'awakened' and the 'asleep'?
dusthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
jimj_wpg

The first time I heard Ramtha (Summer 2010) refer to Jehovah as a sad entity, I knew Jehovah's Witnesses were a scam religion and the followers were being led down the wrong garden path.

Ramtha refers to Yahweh and Jehovah as one and the same...that he is the god of the Old Testament...that instructed its leaders to burn and kill the towns and townspeople who did not follow this Satanic "god".

And besides, this is just another Christian religion... which is the antitheses of gnostic spirituality.

One last thing... What was written in Revelations and other parts of the (Hebrew) Bible about future "end times" aren't written in stone. It is just one possibility. In the quantum universe on this planet there are other possibilities that don't include the almost total physical annihilation of this planet and its lifeforms.

Last edited by jimj_wpg; 05-07-2011 at 12:43 PM.
jimj_wpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
soleil

An ex-GF of mine was a JW and she was excluded from fellowship because of yours truly She wasn't heavily into it anyway but one thing I can say about her is that she was more switched on than ANY other girl I've known. In fact, finding a girl who wants to learn things once out of formal education is very rare, never mind wanting to uncover hidden things.
soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
thoreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusthead View Post
Is anyone here aware of this magazine? It's the Jehova's Witness flagship publication -

The Jehova's Witnesses echo many of the sentiments aired on this forum in regard to how they perceive themselves within society. They feel they have a purpose to 'awaken' the rest of society to their 'truth'. There are other religions also that refer to their flock as awake.

What do the people here make of this?

Does it occur to anyone that the word 'awake' often rings alarm bells for those who are rightfully suspicious of certain organised religions and cults?

I don't have a problem with someone informing me about something. However, when someone infers I am 'asleep' simply because I didn't already know that information, it can be a little perplexing.

'Awake' and 'Asleep' have connotations. To say someone is asleep infers that they are ignorant of a basic truth.

I would never begrudge someone a spiritual experience. If someone feels their life has been enriched by something I am very happy for them. What I am wary of, is when someone refers to what they see as unenlightened people as inferior. It is not a strategy that will win the support of opposition as it creates division.

It seems that many people with vastly different beliefs refer to themselves as 'awake'. With so many different explanations as to what this means, who are we to differentiate between the 'awakened' and the 'asleep'?
great op.

The terms 'awake' and asleep do certainly connotate that those 'asleep' are somehow inferior and those who are 'awake' know something others don't or simply wont believe.

Grouping together enables us to cement our social identity and belonging to a group enables a sense of who we are as individuals. Groups want to test you and value your membership so group norms are adhered to and change peoples behaviours. Break a groups rules and you soon know about it. Lastly groups are competitive and strive to create a 'them and us' situation in order to make their group appear to its members 'superior' to other groups.

You find the above behaviours in any group.

Calling others names is either to attempt to devalue their contribution due to it not being the 'party line' or in an attempt to place the person in the 'them' category rather then the 'us' one.

Just another in a long list of divisive tools used by mankind to keep us from working together and sharing resources equally.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
jackdaw
Banned

Awake is a sister publication to The Watchtower, both penned by carefully chosen teams of writers in the HQ of Jehovah's Witnesses who strictly toe the party line.

There's a wealth of material online about them. IMO it's a religion with flawed logic and reasoning, and many practices operate to the detriment of what they call their 'congregation', i.e. believers. I spent a few years studying them and with them.

Much inside info is shocking, as revealed by numerous former Elders and also once member of the governing body, Raymond Franz. Check out his book.

Steer clear is not only my recommendation but also that of many individuals and organisations dedicated to cult awareness.
jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
rakkoo

i am very much aware of the Awake and watchtower mags, as i used to sell them for 5 pence each back in the 80s, i was about 11, my older sister was and still is a jehovas wittnes, both my sister and her husband who i lived with for 5 when i was 10 years till 15, 16
all 3 of us went pioneering, with other wittneses, we call from door to door explaing God and the bible, the religion itself mhad no infuence over me, although my sister and her husband realy tried to get me baptised;

I adamently said no, and this was aged 10, i realy knew this was not for me, and i kept my self at arms lenth with the wittneses, the people them selfs are realy nice and never tried to push to hard to get em in the religion, i just said no and they knew i meant it.

even now i my sister and her husband are still wittneses i dont follow them any maore, i still them and say hi, but never go to the kingdom hall any more, i stoped going when i gpot to 16,

my beleive in God is still strong, but i dont conform to any religion, i had a near death experince whn when i was 5 years old.

and what i saw and experienced i think steeres me away from mostr human activitys like religion and ambition for life.

i juts kept my self to my self and tried to help as many people along the way as i could without religion or cults, i just rolled my sleeves up and got stuck in to help.
rakkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
dusthead

I was brought up in a family of Jehova's Witnesses. Fortunately my parents decided to leave the religion when I was quite young, although I witnessed the subsequent destruction and dysfunction it wreaked upon my extended family.

I'm pretty normal these days, although I can be overly sceptical and cynical about things (which is understandable)

When I read these forums, I see a lot of people talking about others in very judgmental terms. Whilst it can massage the ego to think that most of the human race are conditioned and brainwashed, and that we are free and enlightened, we simply cannot know that.

An awful lot of people in the world are very individualistic - Far more than this forum would have you believe. Even the most seemingly normal people in the world may have wisdom beyond their years if you make the effort to learn about them.

Last edited by dusthead; 07-07-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
rakkoo

Hi dusthead, may i ask where your faith lies now, and you also said, "Fourtunatly both my parents left the wittneses", ?

i was just wondering if they regret that or if you are happy with them leaving?

also it sounds like you got wisdom beyond your years with the way you write about things, like good insight and such> i dont know to much about enlightenment, wether that as anything to do with insight?
rakkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
dusthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkoo View Post
Hi dusthead, may i ask where your faith lies now, and you also said, "Fourtunatly both my parents left the wittneses", ?

i was just wondering if they regret that or if you are happy with them leaving?

also it sounds like you got wisdom beyond your years with the way you write about things, like good insight and such> i dont know to much about enlightenment, wether that as anything to do with insight?
I lie somewhere between agnostic and atheist, depending on what mood I'm in. I am happy my parents left the religion. I'm not so happy they left each other, but they are more content outside the religion.

I'm not that wise. Just been around quite a bit.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
offramp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusthead View Post
Is anyone here aware of this magazine? It's the Jehova's Witness flagship publication...
I have never seen it. If you tell me where their flagship is berthed then I'll go along and get a copy.
offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
druggalo

we all hate you, and we think you're a stupid bytch!"

It's called tough love, you dumb slut.
druggalo is offline   Reply With Quote