Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Entertainment Industry

Old 07-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
jake_ball

Default The meaning of Don McLean's "American Pie"

Don Mclean has always been a bit cagey when asked about the cryptic lyrics in his 1971 masterpiece "American Pie". The video below gives an interesting interpretation of the lyrics, with the use of just pictures and a bit of text. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhX3b1h7GQw
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion
jake_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
white light

First record I ever got, nicked off my cousin. Sorta the day the music was born for me.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
phrased eyebrow
Banned

Most enjoyable, given the circumstances.

Shortest version of that hymn I've ever heard. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by phrased eyebrow; 07-03-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Time flies
phrased eyebrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 AM   #4
rooey

what a great snapshot of 20 years of cultural/social programming.

deep events impacting upon the psyche, reinforcing social trauma.. saviors being offered.. cultural history created through woodstock, creating the story for people to feed in2.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
rooey

at 6 mins, very interesting hearing this take on hells angels and the event of that stones gig. guess don mclean would be right hand path however obv gonna do more reading and maybe check out a couple of mclean interviews.

edit- did you know "The credited camera operators for Altamont included a young George Lucas.[citation needed] At the concert, Lucas' camera jammed after shooting about 100 feet (30 m) of film. None of his footage was incorporated into the final cut"

that altamont event really is interesting

Last edited by rooey; 08-03-2015 at 01:53 AM.
rooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
twilight_sparkle
Banned

Do you think it was significant that Madonna picked this song, as she has done so few cover versions?

Last edited by twilight_sparkle; 08-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.
twilight_sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
rooey

did she do the full 9 mins?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
twilight_sparkle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooey View Post
did she do the full 9 mins?
I don't know, she didn't for the radio version anyway.
twilight_sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #9
jake_ball

Just bumping this thread up to remind me to make a post about what I think is the meaning of the lyrics of "American Pie"..
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion
Old 20-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_ball View Post
Don Mclean has always been a bit cagey when asked about the cryptic lyrics in his 1971 masterpiece "American Pie". The video below gives an interesting interpretation of the lyrics, with the use of just pictures and a bit of text. Enjoy

Jake, I had a look at the lyrics online rather than watching the video; I wanted to form my own interpretation, and it's a song I heard many times in my 'yoof'.

From having a look through it's almost a history of post-ww2 pop music/counterculture, with references to The Byrds, The Stones and Manson. Lamenting the direction the music and culture had taken. Could be wrong.

On a lighter note, I always used to mix Don Mclean up with the similarly-named guy who presented Crackerjack. Cloning?
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #11
jake_ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
Jake, I had a look at the lyrics online rather than watching the video; I wanted to form my own interpretation, and it's a song I heard many times in my 'yoof'.

From having a look through it's almost a history of post-ww2 pop music/counterculture, with references to The Byrds, The Stones and Manson. Lamenting the direction the music and culture had taken. Could be wrong.

On a lighter note, I always used to mix Don Mclean up with the similarly-named guy who presented Crackerjack. Cloning?
CRAAACKERRRJAAACK!!

Yeah. I agree with yer DR. I see it like this - The lyrics were written in 1972 (approx), and Don Mclean had noticed that America was changing...but not for the better. American country rock n roll singers like Eddie Cochran (died 1960), Buddy Holly and Big Bopper (died 1959) were now replaced by a load of dodgy pop/folk singers (Beatles, Dylan, Rolling Stones etc) who had dodgy morals, and who took the American youth in the wrong direction, and created a counter-culture that would lead to the end of the normal American family values and the American culture.

I think that Mclean had recognised that these new bands had actually somehow destroyed the American way of life.
How right he was! (I think).
Old 21-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
CRAAACKERRRJAAACK!!

Yeah. I agree with yer DR. I see it like this - The lyrics were written in 1972 (approx), and Don Mclean had noticed that America was changing...but not for the better. American country rock n roll singers like Eddie Cochran (died 1960), Buddy Holly and Big Bopper (died 1959) were now replaced by a load of dodgy pop/folk singers (Beatles, Dylan, Rolling Stones etc) who had dodgy morals, and who took the American youth in the wrong direction, and created a counter-culture that would lead to the end of the normal American family values and the American culture.

I think that Mclean had recognised that these new bands had actually somehow destroyed the American way of life.
There's lots of ways to view the sixties. It was a time when changes did need to occur in the social and political sphere, and the changes reverberated pretty much everywhere. This always reflects itself in the arts.

Changes aren't always positive but they aren't entirely negative, either. I wouldn't wish to return to a pre-1960s vision of life, personally, and change was up in the air long before the big explosion of pop music in Western youth culture. For one instance, kids were listening to blues, skiffle, rock and roll, r&b, jazz etc, which were all seen as underground and marginal. This is prior to pop music even being on hourly rotation on the BBC.

Many of these young people formed bands and a handful of them achieved fame. But it was discovered by the record labels and music moguls - co-opted by them, not created by them.

But the song is a good summing up. Nice to revisit it four decades plus later!

Last edited by decode reality; 21-11-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
oz93666

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
There's lots of ways to view the sixties.
Changes aren't always positive but they aren't entire negative, either.
That's it ...I would overall say the changes were positive ... We all know the controllers tried to engineer things over to the dark side , but they failed ...

I would say music started in the 60's with the beatles , and society changed for the better ... particularly the sexual and drug revolution .. Remember before then it was not done to have sex outside marriage !!!And each new generation of men would still go off to war (encouraged by pre 60's elvis) ..after the flower power revolution they burned their draft papers refused war , and the controllers have never been able to have a mandatory war since!

On the whole this is a very negative pessimistic song , although it's good music (it always is) ... focusing on death of kennedys , death of martin luther king, manson , the negative media focus on things ... this must be why the NWO (madonna) want to keep it alive ....It's depressing

Last edited by oz93666; 21-11-2016 at 10:38 AM.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooey View Post
edit- did you know "The credited camera operators for Altamont included a young George Lucas.[citation needed] At the concert, Lucas' camera jammed after shooting about 100 feet (30 m) of film. None of his footage was incorporated into the final cut"

that altamont event really is interesting
And according to various sources, including Rolling Stone magazine (initially), Jagger was performing "Sympathy for the Devil" while Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death by a gang of Hells Angels. "Sympathy" of course is sung from the first person perspective of "Satan" himself. At the time of the murder/sacrifice Jagger was outfitted in red and black whilst wearing a red cape that apparently had a "glow" to it. Some sources say Hunter was deliberately refused medical help and left to die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathy_for_the_Devil
http://whale.to/b/altamont.html
http://aangirfan.blogspot.com/2014/0...m-and-cia.html
pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
That's it ...I would overall say the changes were positive ... We all know the controllers tried to engineer things over to the dark side , but they failed ...

I would say music started in the 60's with the beatles , and society changed for the better ... particularly the sexual and drug revolution .. Remember before then it was not done to have sex outside marriage !!!

On the whole this is a very negative pessimistic song , although it's good music (it always is) ... focusing on death of kennedys , death of martin luther king, manson , the negative media focus on things ... this must be why the NWO (madonna) want to keep it alive ....It's depressing
On the other hand, lots of people like me just heard the jaunty chorus and were oblivious to the entire narrative of the song. You'd be surprised how many fans of even overtly political songs tend to focus on the melody and the sound and the lyrics may as well not be there.

As for the 60s in general, I also believe there was a zeitgeist that many people tapped into. Astrologers speak about transits/conjunctions (especially Uranus-Pluto) that are reflected in the major shifts of that era. As above, so below?

Last edited by decode reality; 21-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 21-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #16
oz93666

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound View Post
And according to various sources, including Rolling Stone magazine (initially), Jagger was performing "Sympathy for the Devil" while Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death by a gang of Hells Angels. "Sympathy" of course is sung from the first person perspective of "Satan" himself. At the time of the murder/sacrifice Jagger was outfitted in red and black whilst wearing a red cape that apparently had a "glow" to it. Some sources say Hunter was deliberately refused medical help and left to die.
We can imagine when the controllers were pushing all this Devil stuff mainstream , they hoped it would create a generation of devil worshiping psychos ... truth is , no one was effected , the magic groups of the 70's were few and far between , I was in them , but I came through it all to be the NWO's worst nightmare ...

All in all , just like the internet , their 60's plan turned out very badly for them
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
jake_ball

Default The Lyrics

Quote:
A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance

And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep

I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride

But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry

And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin' "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above
If the Bible tells you so?
Now do you believe in rock and roll, can music save your mortal soul
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you're in love with him
'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes

Man, I dig those rhythm and blues

I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck

The day the music died

I started singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie

Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin' "This'll be the day that I die

Now for ten years we've been on our own, and moss grows fat on a rollin' stone
But that's not how it used to be
When the jester sang for the king and queen in a coat he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me

Oh, and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned

And while Lennon read a book on Marx
A quartet practiced in the park
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died
We were singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie

Helter skelter in a summer swelter, the birds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight miles high and falling fast
It landed foul on the grass, the players tried for a forward pass
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast
Now the halftime air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune
We all got up to dance
Oh, but we never got the chance

'Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?

We started singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie

Oh, and there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space
With no time left to start again
So come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack Flash sat on a candlestick
'Cause fire is the devil's only friend
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in Hell
Could break that Satan's spell

And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight
The day the music died
He was singin'
bye-bye, Miss American Pie

I met a girl who sang the blues, and I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away

I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

And in the streets, the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed

But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

And they were singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
They were singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie
And singin' This'll be the day that I die"
Old 21-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #18
jake_ball

Quote:
Oh, and there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space
I think that "all in one place" probably means at Woodstock.

"A generation lost in space" - I think that this means that most of the younger generation were spaced-out all the time (ie high on drugs) - Also, the space race was going on, and there was a sci-show called "Lost in Space".

FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY MORE OF THE LYRICS (OF AMERICAN PIE) THAT YOU HAVE A THEORY ON, OR AN INTERPRETATION OF
Old 21-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:

This is one really subliminal song ain't it.

Moss growing on the rolling stone, smacks of the John Taylor Gatto message.

The football model sounds like a future mini nuke false flag in a stadium to get the people on their side to take on whoever.

The death of religion is in there as well.

His name rings King. Don, Dominus.

Not very comforting to a season conspiracy theorist is it.

Last edited by the apprentice; 21-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #20
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
CRAAACKERRRJAAACK!!

Then again, someone like Eddie Cochran was part of that James Dean era and was a symbol of rebellion. Buddy Holly also, perhaps less than Cochran. No doubt some of the older generation in the 1950s disapproved of them. These were transitional figures to the 60s, without whom there wouldn't have been the Beatles et al.

Last edited by decode reality; 21-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.