Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Exposing Child Abuse

Old 14-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #201
troyhand
Banned

mhtml:http://www.readingrotary.org.u...Dec%202010.mht

Nyumbani Newsletters
December, 2010

Dear Friends of Nyumbani,

As we approach the Feast of Christmas, all of us here in Nyumbani send you our warm wishes for the Peace and Joy of the Celebration of Christ's Birth. May each experience during this festive season the gift that family means in our lives, hopefully a source of love and support if at times marked by human inadequacy.

Here in Nyumbani Home, reintegration with family is very much in the forefront of life at the moment. This year 92 of our 112 children will spend some time with either extended family or friends. On 4th December, we had Family Day when we welcomed these families to visit, be entertained by our children, hear updates about Nyumbani, have lunch and finally receive their family member into their care. As I noted in my speech, this time with family is a gift we in Nyumbani cannot give our children: the experience and challenge of living in the outside community.

'Next time' is the keyword for the 20 who will remain with us. Everything is being done to make this time special for them. We hope and pray that their experiencing extra presence of staff to them will communicate our love and care for them. The multitude of visitors coming to spend time with them, laden with Christmas gifts, again communicates a message of loving concern.

November 20th gathered us together in a special way to mark the 4th Anniversary of Fr. D'Agostino's passing away. He is still greatly missed by us all. Words from a poem sent to us by Izabella Hearn, Spanish Board member, gave some beautiful encouragement:

........ smile because he lived
........ cherish his memory, and let him live on
........ do what he would want, smile
........ open your eyes, love and go on

XXXXX's graduation
November 6th marked a highpoint in Nyumbani Home's history when XXXXX graduated from Nairobi Aviation College with a Diploma with credit in Flight Dispatch. XXXXX was one of our first Nyumbani Home children joining us at the age of 2 in 1992 in our initial location in downtown Nairobi.

With no access to antiretroviral medication (ARVs), we were a hospice in those early days. Not even Fr. D'Agostino, with his charismatic vision, foresaw then where we would be in 2010, celebrating the College Graduation of a child from 1992 grown into a young adult.

Nyumbani Village, Kitui Village
Sadly in Nyumbani Village, a day to be remembered is 2nd December when the first of our grandparents passed away suddenly. Her family of 12 are still in shock, remembering her as a very activate, caring grandparent whom they found sick one evening, saw recovered the next day but was gone from them that evening. She was laid to rest on 11th December in a beautifully prepared farewell service.

Reintegration back into the wider community is also becoming the new challenge in the Village with 21 young people having completed High School and dreaming into the future. We are being assisted in this process by Kenya Ethical and Legal Issues Network (KELIN) and the Children's Department. Only 4 years operational in Nyumbani Village, we did not foresee how soon reintegration would need to happen.

Lea Toto Program
Christmas partying is in the air and for 1,049 Lea Toto children a visit to Waterworld on 14th December was a moment to be remembered where they enjoyed a day of fun from swimming, water sliding, bouncing castle, games led by 3 comedians, dancing and, included of course a sumptuous lunch. For the majority, this was a first for them. Other groups of Lea Toto children were invited to other Christmas parties, so all over 5 years had a treat. For all our children in the 3 programs, a magic show, courtesy of the Abracadabra troupe from Spain, was a moment to be remembered when they were transported into a world of surprise, delight, awe and laughter.

Development
Our new medical laboratory is now at roof level. Each week, we experience new congestion challenges in our present laboratory from the peak demand for viral load testing in November to having two scientists from Kanazawa University, Japan come to give further help in resistance testing. June 5th, 2011 is completion date. Before that we have to find further funding, so I ask for your prayers that proposals I have presented will bear fruit.

Blockmaking for Phase 3B building in Nyumbani Village has been in process since the beginning of November, but construction is only beginning on 27th December. Consequently, we are only able to admit a few groups of 2 or 3 children over the Christmas vacation. This can be heart wrenching when some desperate cases have to be asked to wait. A great development however is that, with the help of a survey done by The Solar Electric Light Fund and funded by Johnson and Johnson, a considerable project of installing more solar power in the Village is in process.

October 21st saw a Delegation of Staffers from Capitol Hill visit our new Lea Toto Centre in Mwiki. Fresh from lobbying in the United States for access to 3rd line ARVs, I had another opportunity to draw attention to this need which has, happily, issued in a follow up. Another follow-up came from my visit to CDC Atlanta where I had the opportunity to substantiate our need to the Director and Deputy Director: A medical team visited us recently to get details of this need. The message was further brought home when a documentary was aired for World AIDS Day on a local media station in which I was interviewed on the same. Here in Nyumbani where adherence to ARVs is almost 100% and in the majority of cases in Lea Toto, our evidence is credible, a situation which was recently documented by a medical review carried out in our programs.

The final answer for children, however, is universal access to the Prevention of Transmission for Parent to Child. We rejoice in the priority being now given to this intervention and pray with hope that this will soon be realized..

In this spirit of hope, we wish each one a Blessed and Meaning-filled New Year.

Sr. Mary

[Christine Wood spends the month of November at the orphanage. As she described in the Sedbergh newsletter, she was around when Father D'Angolito died.]

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 06:05 AM.
troyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #202
troyhand
Banned

mhtml:http://www.readingrotary.org.u...Aug%202010.mht

Nyumbani Newsletters
August, 2010

I write in the aftermath glow of the Official Opening of Lawson High School on 2nd August by Rt. Hon. Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State UK, in the presence of the British High Commissioner, H.E. Rob Macaire, Members of our Kenyan Board of Directors and the Bishop of Kitui's representative. As we witnessed the high standards in place through the organization of the event, the Report of the Principal, Sister Frances Cassidy, OSF, the poise and confident performance of the students, and the magnificent enhancement of the school environment, we were in admiration as to how all this has happened in the short period of six months since the school started. I am still in grateful awe at that providential moment when Jeremy Hunt announced the possibility of building a High School through funding from Geoffrey and Carol Lawson, which, up to that, had only been a dream for us.

Then, later, Jeremy wrote delightedly with news of complementary funding from Rita Marmorek in memory of her late husband, Walter. Sadly age did not allow our donors to be with us on 2nd August, but I look forward to thanking them personally in September. I felt the presence of Fr. D'Agostino smiling down on the event, he delighted too that his family was represented by Jack and Anna Dausman.

Some days previously, Alison Stedman COGRI Nyumbani (Scotland) Trust presented me with a cheque of GBP 12,000, a donation for Lawson High School Library and computer laboratory which had been facilitated by a matching grant through Rotary Karen. Alison, her companion Trustee, Frances and group then came up to the Village to view what their donation had realized. They also presented each pupil in Class 7 in Hot-courses Primary with a personal dictionary, a gift also given to standard 7 in Nyumbani Home. This will become an annual event.

Lea Toto had their special event on 26th July when a Government delegation from Viet Nam led by the Deputy Prime Minister, H.E. T. Vinh Trong, visited our Kibera Centre to see how we operate a NGO HIV community-based service. Our friends in KELIN (Kenya Legal and Ethical Issues Network) were hosting the delegation that day and chose our program to showcase how we were ensuring the rights of HIV+ children to holistic care and treatment.

The special moment recently for the Nyumbani Home children was a visit from USA Congressmen Donald Payne and Keith Ellison together with staff, including our USA Board Member, Karen Robb. The highlights of the visit for our guests were meeting the children en famille and the Lea Toto children in the Respite Centre. For our children, hearing Donald Payne sing one of the songs they had just sung and listening to Keith Ellison tell the story of Jesus multiplying the loaves and fishes with the unique moral 'There is enough for all' caught their amazed attention.

We have just seen off to Ireland a group of 16 children and two staff, Sr. Emily and Uncle John, for what has become an annual event. An even more exciting program has been prepared for the 2010 group as, in addition to visiting places of historic interest and fun around Dublin, the group will travel down south in the country and across to the west coast, courtesy of two Irish Senators. They will see more than I have seen of my country of origin!

A great joy, especially for Protus and myself, was a visit from three of our mid-90s Nyumbani children who were adopted in USA -...

Recently Nyumbani Village participated in an exhibition organized by the Ministry of Housing. To our great delight, we came second, being beaten only by Habitat for Humanity! Now that Phase 3B building project has been completed, our new Mechanics Workshop can become operational. To help us with the specialized task of equipping it, through facilitation by Nyumbani Onlus, Italy, Contardo Zanini came out once more to help us. Adding training in mechanics to the curriculum will further enhance our Polytechnic and attract more students. What we need now is some local entrepreneur to make public transport to the Village available.

I had hoped to be able to tell you in this Newsletter that we had started Resistance Testing in our Laboratory. Dealing with two different companies has led to our falling between two stools. Apart from the frustration of having the Genetic Analyser in our Laboratory since March and not being able to operate it, two of our children in Lea Toto are in dire need of resistance testing. The developing country scenario...

What a variety of visitors have come these past two months! - groups from: Georgetown, Scranton, North Central and Loyola Academy, Chicago, Lurgan High School, Armagh, to Lloydie's four KEST groups, Micato's Lorna McLeod with family and Jane Mbeere with her husband Malcolm, who presented us with a large cheque, part proceeds of the 10 Marathons she ran from Muscat to Dubai.

I will be leaving for my annual PR/Fundraising trip earlier this year as I have been invited to make a workshop presentation at the DPI/NGO Conference in Melbourne taking place 30th August - 1st September. I was also invited to bring a companion with me so Protus Lumiti will join me. At the invitation of Loreto Australia, I will have the opportunity beforehand to talk in some Loreto schools in Melbourne and Sidney. My itinerary this year will include Ireland and Italy as well as UK and USA.

I ask your prayers that God may guide me as I endeavour to spread the message of Nyumbani - HOPE for children challenged by HIV, and invite support for the holistic care and treatment that is needed to realize this HOPE. A friend said to me recently: 'I hear that the HIV pandemic is easing. Is that true?' Sadly I had to reply: Yes, more people are living longer with the virus because of ART which is a great joy; however, now that we have passed beyond the crisis stage and integrated the reality of HIV in our lives, both human-complacency and donor fatigue can set in.' We continue to pray that our scientists will finally discover both a preventative and a therapeutic vaccine, though according to a notice in our National Museum, it will be through evolution that the virus finally will be overcome. In the meantime, we in developing countries still need global assistance. Please continue to help us.

May God bless each one,

Sister Mary
Old 14-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #203
troyhand
Banned

Nyumbani newsletter
June 2010

http://www.readingrotary.org.uk/data...2010-final.pdf

Children of God Relief Institute– Nyumbani
P.O BOX 24970-00502 Nairobi
Telfax: 882430: Email: [email protected]

Greetings from a very cold Nairobi . Each of our Nyumbani Home children is now wearing a colourful , knitted cap all day – a very appropriate gift at this time from a group of USA visitors. The playground is a sea of moving colour as the small ones run and scoot around. Happily, all are well , but, sadly, we lost one 16 year old boy, Samuel Mutanu Juma, from Nyumbani Village whose
immuno-suppressed system was unable to fight meningitis. We laid him to rest on 2nd June at his grandparents' home. May he rest in peace with God.

Being summer in the western world, visitors have abounded during these past weeks. I was invited to the USA Embassy on 14th May to meet the new USAID Administrator, Dr. Rajiv Shah. Lea Toto, Kibera welcomed Ex-Senator George McGovern, First World Food Program Goodwill Ambassador. He was delighted when I referred to his famous words: ’We have the resources (to end hunger), we know what has to be done, and it’s something that can be achieved at a rather modest cost’. Then, I asked: 'When?' ' Another 15years' , he replied.

A second significant Lea Toto event was the launch of the new Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation strategic direction: 'Prevention with Positives' which shifts the focus for prevention to the infected through whom transmission happens. This is very pertinent for us as more and more of our children reach young adulthood. I was invited by the Dagoretti District
Children's Officer, where we have two Lea Toto Centres, to be Guest of Honour both at a Road Show organized by their Children's Assembly to draw attention to their rights and responsibilities and at the Celebration of the Day of the African Child, 16th June. The theme for this latter was: Planning and Budgeting for the Welfare of the Child – a Collective Responsibility. I was sad I must say, that children felt the need to draw our attention to their rights and also that, in Africa, because of poverty, attention needs to be drawn to our Collective Responsibility for the welfare of the child. It does signal that we are far from realising Millennium Goal :1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger....

An opportunity to lobby on another front for the rights of children happened when I was invited by the Kenya :Legal and Ethical Issues Network (KELIN) to make a presentation, in the presence of the Attorney General, on our experience in seeking for birth certificates for our children and protecting their inheritance rights. Protus Lumiti and Nicholas Syano compiled the necessary documentation for me and I believe that this presentation together with the personal testimony given by Martin M from Nyumbani Home on the difficulty he has experienced in getting his birth certificate and national identity card, had a strong impact. We hope for an easing of the requirements in the case of orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs)

Witness of a different mature happened when Nyumbani was invited to feature on the Patricia Show – an African version of the Oprah Show. The team first visited Nyumbani and shot a documentary and then invited John M., 19 years, and myself to be interviewed. John's testimony was truly moving as he shared on his 15 years experience in Nyumbani Home. The Patricia Show features on Mnet.

Rotary Karen shone these past weeks as Friends of Nyumbani. First, each of the Lea Toto Centres was presented with a water tank, a much-needed storage facility given that the public water supply only operates once or twice per week and Nyumbani Home received an autoscope for the Respite Centre. Then, their President, Paula Lanco- Mutua, organised a 'Back to School' event with two local Rotaract groups joining with Nyumbani Home to enjoy the beat of renowned Kenyan DJ, Jua Kali . Finally, Paula organised a Rotary Karen trip to Nyumbani Village which gave us the additional opportunity to thank the Members for their donation of mosquito nets and napkins, and made possible for the Village Interact Club to showcase their environmental project wearing the T-Shirts provided through the Maryland Interact Club, USA.

We were especially pleased when a delegation from the Department of Children's Services visited the Village on 25th May. Nyumbani Village is pioneering an alternative approach for caring for OVCs. Having representatives
from this Government Ministry, which is entrusted with the welfare of Kenya's children, was an opportunity for spreading the word about the Village model . Equally happy were we when our new District Commissioner found time to visit us. We were also delighted to have a visit to the Village and to Nyumbani Home from representatives of World Children’s Fund, an organisation which, over several years, has been sending a generous monthly subsidy to help us run Nyumbani Home. We place a premium on welcoming donors to come and see how their donations are utilised.

Once again, Nyumbani Programs benefited from several services offered by overseas Friends of Nyumbani. Dr. Tomi Brown was back with a team of six for audiology services, which, this time, included the facilitation by Tomi of tympanoplasty surgery for six Nyumbani Home children. Susan Gold returned for training of Lea Toto staff in her Nyumbani Adolescent Program and for a refresher course for Nyumbani Home children, while Wisconsin University Global
Environmental Management (GEM) facilitated once again the services of a team of six, headed by John Sheffy, to help with the Village Sustainability
Program.

The visit, however, which caught the keen interest of all of us in Kenya was that of Vice-President, Joseph Biden. Newspapers and media told the story with panache, highlighting his role as second to President Obama. He too introduced himself in like manner at the public lecture to which I was invited: “ I am Joe Biden and I work for President Obama.’ Of course the expectation and hope is that, finally, President Obama will visit the homeland of his father.

Our children continue to increase in number – 3 more in Nyumbani Home,
3115 in Lea Toto and 64 families with 663 children in the Village
. Did Fr.
D’Agostino envision this growth in 1991? Certainly his courage and Christian compassion triggered a service for HIV infected and affected children
which is unparalleled. Please continue to keep us in prayer and spread the word about our growing needs especially for education of our post-High School young people. God bless each one,

Sr. Mary Owens, IBVM
Executive Director
Old 14-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #204
troyhand
Banned

Nyumbani newsletter
April 2010

http://www.readingrotary.org.uk/data...RIL%202010.pdf

We have just celebrated the Feast of the Resurrection and that celebratory spirit of joy is palpable all over Nyumbani. It being school vacation time adds to the enjoyment atmosphere. As always, both in Nyumbani Home and Nyumbani Village the focus in the days before Easter Sunday was the remembering in solemn celebration of the Passion and Death of Christ with the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday ending in the burst of Joy of ‘Alleluia, Christ is Risen’. BA crew once again heightened Nyumbani Home children’s enjoyment with the arrival of the Easter Bunny followed by fun and games. I believe that for Nyumbani Village children enjoyment reached a peak on Easter Monday when Mama Mary arrived with biscuits and juice and announced chapatis and meat for dinner.

[PIC]: Nyumbani children having fun with Mr. Bunny

[It's a pic of a man in a bunnysuit wearing a British Airways uniform handing out candy to the kids from a brown paper bag. You know it's him or someone just like him! ]

Their delight and that of the grandparents was further increased when she presented a solar lamp for each family (80 in all) gift from Toyota Tsucho Corporation (Japan) and Kokusai Kogyo Holdings Co., Ltd. (Japan).

Looking back since I last wrote, several high points come to mind. As I said in my previous Newsletter, we were delighted when Elizabeth Ranneberger chose to volunteer in Nyumbani Village early this year. Her being there brought her father H.E. Michael Ranneberger, US Ambassador to Kenya to visit the Village on 18th February. It was a great day and I believe that experiencing the Village has been memorable both for Elizabeth and her father. Another event in the political arena happened on 11th March when MPs from the Ugandan Parliament HIV Committee visited Nyumbani Home.

They came to Kenya to meet with members of our Kenyan Parliament and when they requested to visit a Home caring for children with HIV Nyumbani was chosen. Serendipitly, I got a phone call from Uganda a few days later inviting me to the launch of a Survey done by the Joint Learning Initiative on Children with AIDS (JLICA) in Kampala and to make a presentation.

For our Form 4 leavers, however, the high points of the last few weeks have been the receiving of their examination results and the subsequent search for further education in line with these results. All our 3 Nyumbani Home and 7 Nyumbani Village students achieved certificates at different levels, so the challenge now is successful placement. With such a number to educate at tertiary level, the financial requirements are huge so we are earnestly looking for sponsors to help.

Program-wise, the biggest event has been the expansion of Lea Toto from 6 centres to 8 which began on 1st March. This meant a fairly extensive reorganization of staff including Centre Administrators, so it has been a challenging time for Nicholas Makau finding suitable new locations in Mwiki and Kang’ora, seeing to their equipping and facilitating the re-location of staff.

We are also rejoicing that over the past 6 months, we have rescued 32 Lea Toto children through our Respite Care Centre. But there was also a sad moment for Lea Toto as we bade farewell to Sr. Little Thressiamma after her almost 14 years with us. She it was who pioneered the Lea Toto program in 1998. Our deep gratitude and prayers go with you, Sr. Little.

Medical development -wise, we are rejoicing in the arrival of our Genetic Analyser. It has been a process fraught with obstacles to be surmounted, but now it is all excitement as we prepare to have resistance testing available for our children as well as being able to offer it to the outside community. Resistance testing for diagnostic purposes has not been available in Kenya which has meant that samples have had to be sent outside the country. We are happy to be able to fill the gap. The other great medical development news is that plans for our new laboratory are now awaiting approval and we look forward to starting construction in June. Were it not for Barbara Albert, whom I met through Micato Safaris in October 2009 and who, through pledging a large donation, gave the courage to embark on this ambitious project, its realisation would still be a dream. We are also deeply grateful to Kenya Orphan Aid who, when I shared with them that the cost was far exceeding my expectations, pledged to raise an extraordinary large amount, and we hope to receive another large donation through another Board. Our sincere gratitude too to Dr. Ryan Burnette, Alliance BioSciences who, fortuitously, was presenting a paper at the African Biosafety Conference in Nairobi in early March and spent considerable time helping our architect, Mr. Wambaa, and Sister Annie with the details of the design.

Nyumbani Village continues to grow with seven new families now joining us which will bring the number of children to over 650. Just two months since the opening, it is great to see Lawson High School so well off the ground. A visit to the compound and you sense that standards are already high: the students exude an air of confidence and purpose, activities are humming happily with expectations high. Building continues with a library cum computer laboratory now complete. To our great joy, at the beginning of March, a consignment of library books arrived – 70 cartons in all, each carton containing approx 25 books.

These were sourced by our good friend, Dr. Andrew Sicree in USA through his African Book Project. Half of the consignment will start the stocking of the High School library while the other half will be divided between our two Primary level libraries. This capped another donation for the library from the Augustine Stewardship Fund Trust, USA. Hotcourses Primary School continues to excel in cocurriculum activities reaching Provincial competition level for a third consecutive year. Happily we have just received funds from Hasbro Inc., Rhode Island, Fr. D’Agostino’s home state, which will enable us to build another classroom block, as almost all the new children are in Primary School.

We are deeply grateful to our Boards and donors over the years who continue to support us. New donations too continue to surprise us as was a large sophisticated refrigerator for the laboratory from LG through the advocacy of World Food Program, a group of my 1971 past students coming to visit laden with gifts, a shallow well from the Schnellhaus, the Japanese lamps, and hearing of Jane Mbeere running a 10 marathon race from Muscat to Dubai, the proceeds of which she will share between Nyumbani and another charity. Our gratitude too to our many volunteers who come from all over the world to give of their time, talents and energy, from Australia to USA, Ireland to Scandanavia to Korea and some, like Stacy Oliver, coming for a second long term service.

To God I look to bless and care for each one, as we believe God continues to provide for us in Nyumbani.
Sr. Mary Owens, IBVM

Wangui, if it can be confirmed from witnesses, who that man was in the bunny suit and it turns out to be Simon Wood, that photo image could help shock the public awake.

Can anyone post that picture from this newsletter? I don't know how. Truths?

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #205
troyhand
Banned

http://kenya.usaid.gov/programs/health/1045
USAID Kenya

Lea Toto Program

Historical background
Lea Toto Program is a community based care program of the Children of God Relief Institute (COGRI) which extends care of HIV+ children into the community. The program was established in 1998 as part of COGRI’s Nyumbani Village’s community outreach program and became a fully-fledged community home based care program in September 1999.

Program status
Lea Toto has a cooperative agreement with USAID currently in its fifth phase, running from March 2009 to February 2013. The target is to reach a cumulative number of 8,500 HIV positive children and over 40,000 family members.

The program is also in partnership with World Food Program, Concern Worldwide, Medicines for Humanity, Hotcourses Foundation, UK and Kenya OrphanAid.

In addition Lea Toto works with all Government of Kenya line ministries and other partners in all the eight centers; Kangemi, Kawangware Dagoretti, Kibera, Mukuru, Dandora Kariobangi and Mwiki.

Lea Toto Key activities
The Lea Toto program aims at improving the quality of life of HIV positive children living in some of Nairobi’s poorest informal settlements. To accomplish this, the Program facilitates a holistic process that involves support and access to:
•Comprehensive medical care.
•Provision of Antiretroviral Drugs (ARVs).
•Nutrition and food security.
•Psychosocial support to the children and their families.
•Education and vocational training.
•Capacity building and economic empowerment of the children and their families.
•Voluntary Counseling and Testing.
•Supportive counseling for the children and families.

Achievements
The overriding goal of the Lea Toto program is to mitigate the impact of HIV/AIDS and decrease the risk of HIV transmission by implementing a comprehensive home-based care package.

By March 2011, Lea Toto program had reached:
•7698 HIV positive children with comprehensive medical care, psychosocial support, educational support.
•36,000 family members with education and skills to support and care for PLWAs, and capacity building for self sustainance.
•2680 children with Antiretroviral Therapy services.
•All school-age children in the program are enrolled in school, from pre-school to University.

Quote:
...Hotcourses Foundation,...
Jeremy Hunt's company.
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Hunt_(politician)
Jeremy Hunt MP

... Together they founded a company now known as Hotcourses, a major client of whose is the British Council. Hotcourses has subsequently provided financial support to Hunt's parliamentary office...

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #206
troyhand
Banned

http://www.lady.co.uk/people/profile...t=WyJib29rcyJd
The Lady - 13 February 2013

“As an artist I’m forever learning”
We talk to Richard Stone about his time in Kenya working with the charity, Nyumbani, and how he helped children create beautiful art out discarded objects.

Talking to Richard Stone, I find myself being carried away on his words. He talks about his work in Kenya with the Kenyan charity, Nyumbani, and the children he met there with such passion that I find myself just wanting to listen to him talk. I have to remind myself that this is an interview so I have to ask questions!

Richard first became involved with the charity 10 years ago on a British Airways flight to New York.

"I was chatting to someone, who over the course of the flight told me that the BA crew were very supportive of the charity- which at that stage I hadn't heard of."

"He asked me if there was anything I could donate to an upcoming auction, and I donated a portrait [a print] of the Queen which went down well and raised quite a bit."

After the success of the auction, Richard was asked if he would be interested in helping the charity further. So he was flown out with his wife and son to Nairobi to see how the charity worked first hand. Richard tells me that visiting the Nyumbani home, which at the time was a hospice, was incredibly moving.

"The children were so warm and welcoming. They were so cheerful but you knew that there was a certain air of sadness about the place because the life expectancy was so short."

His son, William, at the time was 8 and a similar age to the children at the hospice.

"It was Easter when we went so we took small Easter gifts for the children- it was William's responsibility to hand out the sweets, and he went to each of the children. The children saw they had an Easter egg and he didn't, so they handed pieces of their egg back to him."

"This was a revelation to us but it is the ethos of the community- sharing. It's supportive of one another. We had a connection, and we made a promise that we would return."

Richard planned to return with a project that would be constructive and helpful to the community he and his family had spent time with.

The project which took 10 years to put into place was based around the concept that the children, who live in slums which are surrounded by rubbish, could take this discarded raw material and create pieces of art.

"I put together this project where we would take something absolutely worthless and make it into something of some worth. We would use bits of newspaper, cardboard, coconut shells, bottle tops, bits of plastic and create an art programme where the children could learn about craft and their heritage."

It's easy to forget that the children Richard would be working with have had very limited exposure to resources such as art materials, let alone having the oppourtunity to visit museums to see piece of art which form part of that cultural heritage. So armed with books on African design, he gave them an insight into their own heritage.
The pieces created by the children are currently on auction and will close at a fundraising gala being hosted by former Secretary of State for Education, Baroness Morris of Yardley, at the House of Commons on the 7th March.

"I'm hugely excited by it [the auction], for people to see some of the amazing things these children have done. They made bowls, masks, based on ethnic design...They are so interesting they could just slot in with these museum pieces that the rest of the world admires. There is something innate in their thinking that has created something that just says Africa."

Hearing how Richard talks about his time in Kenya and working with the children, I'm in no way surprised to hear that he would love to run a similar project again.
For the children at the home, unless they embark on further education, at the age of 18 there isn't the oppourtunity for them to stay at the orphanage.
Nyumbani UK works to provide HIV and AIDS affected children in Kenya with the best nutritional, medical, educational and psychosocial care. It does this through three distinct projects: A slum outreach program called Lea Toto in Nairobi which helps 3,000 children, the Nyumbani Home that supports 100 children and finally the Nyumbani Village that provides care for 1,000. At the very centre of village life are the Hotcourses Primary School and the Lawson High School.

"The art created by the children at Richard's Nyumbani Art Festival is being auctioned online at www.nyumbani.org.uk The auction will end 7 March."

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #207
troyhand
Banned

http://www.nyumbanionlus.it/notizie/...10-1046-am.pdf
Friday, October 29, 2010 10:46 AM

Greetings to you all on my return to Nyumbani from a two month PR/Fundraising trip. It was lovely meeting so many Friends of Nyumbani in each of the five countries I visited: Australia, Ireland, UK, USA and Italy, and I truly appreciated the warm welcome and support for Nyumbani I received.

As I gradually meet our children and staff and tell them of your friendship, prayers and funding support, they join with me in expressing through warm clapping our deep gratitude and appreciation.

Nyumbani Children in Ireland

Thank God all is generally well in our three programs, not without challenges, to be expected when caring for vulnerable children. The group who visited Ireland with Sr. Emily and Uncle John are full of memorable experiences and were delighted to renew friendship with students from Loreto the Green who are visiting at present. Our 32 High School students are in the midst of their final examination and 100 Standard 8 students are preparing for theirs in November.

While I was away four more began third level training: Knight and John M from Nyumbani Home taking Diplomas in Tours and Travel and IT respectively; from the Village. Beatrice has been accepted for teacher training and Mercy for medical laboratory sciences. There are three new children in Nyumbani Home, 6 new families in Nyumbani Village with 58 children and 6 grandparents and Lea Toto numbers have increased by 194.

Staff Training
I was very happy that many ongoing education activities for staff took place in the last two months. A team from Lea Toto attended the Paediatric AIDS Treatment Africa (PATA) Conference in Uganda and made a presentation. Nyumbani Home hosted a seminar attended by staff from several children's homes on the process of obtaining birth certificates for vulnerable children facilitated by the Civil Registrar of Persons Office. The Childrens' Legal Action Network (CLAN) organized a workshop on Children's Rights for our Lea Toto Staff. Both Lea Toto and Nyumbani Village showcased their programs at the annual Agricultural Show at the invitation of the National AIDS Control Council, NACC. Members of our Pharmacy and Medical departments attended a seminar on Pharmacovigilance focusing on Adverse Drug Reactions and later shared their learnings with all our medical staff. And, to our great relief, resistance testing has begun in our laboratory.

Melbourne Conference

Let me share some of my experiences these past two months. An invitation from my religious congregation, the Institute of Blessed Virgin Mary - Loreto, to present a Workshop on Nyumbani at the UN Department of Public Information NGO Conference in Melbourne, 30th August - 1st September: Advance Global Health: Achieve the Millennium Goals, took me to Australia. I was delighted when the co-sponsor, Salesians of Don Bosco, made possible a co-presenter so Protus Lumiti joined me. Our Workshop was very well attended and received. The conference experience was certainly vision-broadening and educative.

PR/Fundraising

While in Australia I also had the opportunity to speak on Nyumbani in three Loreto Schools which promises to be fruitful. After Australia I went to Ireland where I gave presentations in five schools from which three groups will visit and support us in the next few months. A meeting with the Board of Kenya Orphan Aid confirmed their support for our new medical laboratory which I now watch rising from the ground outside my office. I trust in God's Providence that the other funding contacts I have made with bear fruit. The present congestion in the lab is being tolerated by staff knowing that by next June, they will be in a state-of -the-art new facility.

September 15 was a very special Nyumbani UK day. It began by a meeting with the Director and some staff in the London School of Commerce who assured me of further realizing their commitment to continue funding us. Noon saw me in the House of Commons to listen to the Prime Minister answering questions, courtesy of Hon. Jeremy Hunt, and then have lunch.

Afterwards, Jeremy drove me to visit two sponsors of Lawson High School, Mrs. Rita Marmorek, who funded two science laboratories, and Geoffrey and Carole Lawson whose ongoing generous commitment has given the school its name. The day finished with a dinner meeting to meet members of the new Nyumbani UK Board and friends.

Three weeks in USA followed. What a marvelous schedule of talks, meetings, and functions was scheduled for me.
- Talking at Masses in St. Mary Church Greenwich CT and Sacred Heart Parish, Richmond.
- Public Lecture in Scranton University, the University which granted the Pedro Arrupe leadership Award to Fr. D'Agostino.
- Visits to Capitol Hill, meetings with members of the Department of State and USDA.
- Meetings in Atlanta with CDC Director and staff and with Archdiocesan personnel.

The highlight, of course, was the Annual Benefit on 1st October which all agreed reached record heights this year. Meeting with Friends of Nyumbani is limited that evening so I was delighted that the COGRF President Marilyn Jerome Foust held a Reception in her lovely home for his purpose prior to the Gala. Finally, I traveled to Italy. Again a great schedule was prepared for me starting in Rome with an interview on Vatican Radio, a meeting in Cor Unum and being present at Nyumbani Onlus Annual Reception. We then went to Loreto to visit with our great supporter and friend, Archbishop Tonucci and then to Fano for a meeting with Le Manne Fanesi, a group of women who over several years now have been raising funds to build houses in Nyumbani Village through a Christmas sale of their beautiful embroidery.

As I write this letter and have time for reflection both on my own recent experiences and on how Nyumbani has progressed while I was away, my heart fills with deep gratitude. Nyumbani has grown over the 18 years since the foundation. Led by our founder, Fr. D'Agostino for 14 years, the vision and mission have been well articulated by his personal charisma and dedication. It is my experience that this vision and mission are now deeply embraced by Boards, Staff and Friends of Nyumbani and support for our programs is widely spread. Nyumbani today is truly global. That Nyumbani is still needed is now becoming a serious injustice: Today we know how to prevent the transmission from parents to child, but this intervention is not widespread in the developing world. That the Nyumbani of the early days may become needed is a horror looming ahead if we do not get access to the more advanced ARVs we are beginning to need, in particular, access to 3rd line drugs. These were my lobbying issues while I traveled our world. Please pray with me that our Global Health decision-makers will respond.

God bless you all,
Sr. Mary

The Genetic Analyser is finally operational

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #208
sweetcheeks

KIDZONE KENYABackground
2004 - UK Fundraising Committee established in Poole

2005 - Kenya Orphanage Committee established in Nairobi
2005 - Orphanage created within Mary Happy School, Eastleigh, Nairobi
2005 - 12 orphan girls selected from slums and moved to orphanage

2006 - Orphanage registered as an official Children’s Institute in Kenya

2007/8/9 - British Airways visits & support

2008 - Hope for Children engaged as UK registered charity

2009 - Number of girls at orphanage has increased to 23

http://kidzonekenya.weebly.com/background.html

Chris Reeves

Chris Reeves, Jacobs & Reeves solicitors
Chris was a co-founder of the firm with Philip Jacobs in 1977.
Chris is Vice-Chairman of Poole Town FC and Chairman of Kidzone Kenya a fund raising committee which, working in liaison with a national Charity, supports an orphanage in a slum area of Nairobi.
Chris has recently been elected as a full member of the Council of the FA which is its governing body. He is the official representative of all Football Clubs within the South Western section of the FA.
Chris is based at our Poole office.
Chris Reeves is also Vice Chairman of Poole High School.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Chris-Reeves/107856019
Old 14-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #209
troyhand
Banned

Good find, sweets.

http://ke.linkedin.com/pub/richard-k...?trk=pub-pbmap
Richard Kinoti's Overview
Current Director at The Mary Happy School
Admin Manager at The Mary Happy School
Education The Mary Happy School
28 connections

Richard Kinoti's Experience

Director
The Mary Happy School
September 2008 – Present (5 years 1 month)

Admin Manager
The Mary Happy School
January 2000 – Present (13 years 9 months

I wonder if this is the Richard Kinoti who is director of Mary Happy School and Tulia Kidzone?

http://translate.google.com/translat...00%26bih%3D680
Netlog

richardkinoti
Male - 46 years, Kenya

About me
Name richard kinoti
Date of birth 11/29/1966
Location (Nairobi Area)
Kenya
Native language English

Not sure, but posting this too.

http://www.aabcommodities.com/contact/
AAB Commodities Ltd

Contact
For a Bespoke Quotation and Service please contact our regional consultants:

East Africa:
Richard Kinoti

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #210
troyhand
Banned

http://daveymacmanus.tumblr.com/post...1-july-22-2011
Fear of sky part 1 july 22 2011

Arrived in Nairobi late at night, takes forever to get through passport control, they are suspicious of me, as though I am some kind of international terrorist, then they see all the harmonicas in my bag and they think I’m trying to sell them, so I have to show them emails from NYumbani .it smells strange, it smells of Africa, the night is different to any night I’ve ever known. I am alone and ~I have finally reached the missing continent on my list, the place that has been calling me since I was 16 years old.

Wake up in Karen orphanage six am to the sound of children laughing, crying, screaming, its church time, so wander up to mass, African church is a lot better than English church because everyone goes crazy and they actually believe in God and Jesus. The priest explains that when you point at someone, there is one finger pointing at the person you are accusing but there are three fingers pointing back at you.
The next day I am assigned to talk to the su su’s, each house has a grandmother who looks after ten children, there are over 85 houses. Most of these Grannies are very old, I spend half the night preparing the talk, its more scary talking to 80 African Grannies than playing to 60 000 people. They were so cool, it lasted three and a half hours, I had a translator, it was just simple things like not sharing razors and keeping the sick kids separated, stuff I pulled of the who website, they had so many questions, its hard for them caring for ten kids each, usually only one or two are their biological child.
In the afternoon, we are pregnancy testing all the girls from the high school, if you get preganant you get thrown out to tend for yourself, as this place is run by Catholic nuns, its kinda like `Ireland pre 1960/70s. It’s tough, but they can’t have pregnant kids here at the orphanage, but its still very strange because they won’t give the girls condoms. Out of 100 girls, one tests positive, but when we did a blood test that was negative, so the next morning they all had to come back to the clinic as they had been switching up their urine, but then a different girl tested positive, and again her blood was negative so they were still swopping urine and it is impossible to find out who the pregnant one is, the whole thing is a nightmare, and they have toi come back on Monday, that night walking past the police station hear screams, the door is open, there are two police holding the girl who faked her test down and another beating her, it lasted about an hour, the screams, this is a strange place, its overwhelming, I’m losing my mind a little, a lot

One of my jobs is to make sure the kids are taking their medication, they hate taking it as it makes them sick, one or two days a week im supposed to walk around at seven in the morning and make sure they take it, if they haven’t taken it im supposed to pull them out of school and make them take it, I complain this is unethical as it singles out the hiv active children, they don’t care about ethics here, haven’t quite figured this project out yet, but the day we dispense hiv medication more is returned by the su sus than we give out, so they are definitely not taking it, the su su s come in one by one and sheepishly pull the unused medication from the folds of their skirt, but at least they are honest, they say they cant force the kids, it’s a tricky one

Spend the next day out in the local villages doing hiv tests, I was taking blood, you write a number on their hand, they get the results five minutes later. There were fourteen of us on the back of a pick up truck, and some goats, the locals were scared to be tested but as soon as darkness fell they came in their droves, The people here have no food as there is a drought, its strange, so strange, they present at the clinic with malaria or chest infection, having walked many miles and not having eaten for three days and then you give them ciprol which basically kills red blood cells, hell on an empty stomach

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #211
troyhand
Banned

http://www.yellowwallsparish.com/_fr...nya_orphan_aid
Kenya Orphan Aid

2011 Children’s Trip -
We are really looking forward to welcoming another group of children from Nyumbani. This year they are between 10 and 13 years old. We are delighted to tell you that Senator Ronan Mullen who has treated each year’s visitors to dinner in Leinster House and last year’s group to a wonderful overnight trip outside Dublin, has a few treats in store for this year’s group. We will have more information on this in our June newsletter. If you think you could offer an event please let us know. We would like to thank you for enabling this wonderful holiday to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3n%C3%A1n_Mullen
Rónán Mullen

Rónán Thomas Mullen (born 13 October 1970) is an independent Irish Senator and delegate to the Council of Europe. He was elected by the National University of Ireland Seanad constituency in July 2007 and re-elected for a second term in 2011

http://www.gaelick.com/2008/09/irish...committee/852/
Gaelick - Sep 28th, 2008
Irish government appoints religious conservative to parliamentary committee

This is Rónán Mullen who was formerly communications officer for the Archdiocese of Dublin; who approves of Opus Dei’s “intellectual engagement with their faith...

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #212
troyhand
Banned

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news...airobi-flights
Buying business travel - 9 Aug 2013
British Airways restarts Nairobi flights

British Airways has resumed flights to Nairobi after two days of cancellations following a severe fire at the airport on Wednesday.

BA was forced to cancel its Heathrow-Nairobi services on Wednesday and Thursday but flights will resume on Friday.

“The airport authority has put in place temporary facilities, however customers are likely to experience significant disruption on arrival and departure,” said BA in a statement.

“Due to the disruption, passengers travelling to Nairobi with an onward flight must confirm with the carrier that this flight is still operating. Any customer travelling without a confirmed onward flight do so at their own risk.”

BA added that passengers flying from Nairobi must arrive at least three hours before departure and warned that there would be no lounge facilities available.

The fire on Wednesday destroyed the international arrivals hall. The airport is now using its cargo terminal for domestic flights and its domestic terminal for international services...

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news...due-major-fire
Buying business travel - 7 Aug 2013
Nairobi airport evacuated due to major fire

Kenya's main international airport is closed today after a “very severe” fire engulfed the regional hub.

Hundreds of passengers were left stranded outside Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta International Airport as officials evacuated the entire complex. There have been no reports of casualties.

The cause of the inferno is unknown but it is thought to have started at around 05.00 local time in the airport’s arrivals and immigration area. That building is now believed to have been completely destroyed.

Incoming flights have been diverted to other airports in the region while many long-haul services were cancelled on Wednesday including two British Airways flights (BA64: Nairobi-Heathrow; BA65 Heathrow-Nairobi).

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #213
troyhand
Banned

http://thesameheart.com/cast/
The Same Heart

THE SAME HEART follows a growing number of global economists, joining their voices with moral leaders of the world. They agree that an extremely small financial transaction tax, “The Robin Hood Tax,” could for the first time, place the needs of children at the heart of the global financial system.

Suggesting a sustainable approach, THE SAME HEART also follows a dynamic Kenyan community organizer who devotes his life to making programs work from the bottom up. He is our man in the trenches. In Geoffrey’s words …

Cast
The Same Heart is an essay film with many voices. The cast includes:

Geoffrey Bakhuya – Our storyteller, Kenyan community organizer, Luya by tribal birth, an HIV case worker in Nairobi’s Kibera slum for Doctors Without Borders.

Nobel Peace Laureates
Archbishop Desmond Tutu – Nobel Laureate, South Africa
Dr. Wangari Maathai – Nobel Laureate and environmentalist, Kenya
Shirin Ebadi – Peace Laureate, lawyer and activist, Iran
Mairead Maguire – Peace Laureate, Ireland
Lech Walesa – Peace Laureate, Founder Solidarity, Poland
Carlos Belo – Peace Laureate, Catholic Bishop, East Timor
F. Willem De Klerk – Peace Laureate, Former President, South Africa

Kenyans
Joseph Onyango Siri – farmer, widowed father of 8, lives on less than a $ a day
Aloys Opiyo Otieno – Executive Director of the Undugu Society of Kenya
Vincent Oramisi – Field worker for Undugu, social worker for street children

Sister Mary Owen – Loreto Sister, Director, Nyumbani Children’s Home & Village
Jael Okeyo – Teacher, sex educator and counselor at St. Juliana Girls School
Suzanne Waithera – HIV-positive mother living (and dying) on the street, Nairobi
Grandma Sabina – grandmother raising her children’s HIV-positive children

Children
Emmanuel – Street boy
Joshua – Former street boy now in secondary school, wants to be an engineer
Miriam – Former street girl, now in secondary school, wants to be a pilot
Mary – rescued 7-year-old street girl
Deborah – student, Kimana School, Maasailand, wants to be a surgeon
Jemima – Writer and poet, secondary student at St. Juliana Girls School
Issac – HIV-positive street boy and prostitute

Economists and Political Figures
Dean Baker – Economist, Center for Economic & Policy Research, Washington
Peter Bakvis – Exec. Director of ITUC/Global Unions, world’s largest labor union
Jeffrey Sachs – Economist, Director, Earth Institute, Columbia Univ. (news film)
President Barack Obama – 43rd President of the United States (news film)
President George W. Bush – 41st President of the United States (news film)

Ethics and Philanthropy
Peter Singer – Professor of Ethics, Princeton University
Bill Gates – Global Philanthropist (news film)
Bill Nighy – English actor and activist (Robin Hood tax ad)

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #214
troyhand
Banned

http://www.nyumbani.org.uk/blog/even...-photo-gallery
Nyumbani
Gala Dinner 2012 Photo Gallery
Old 14-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #215
troyhand
Banned

http://www.lass.org.uk/about/
About LASS

Welcome to LASS (Leicestershire AIDS Support Services) new website. LASS is an independent voluntary organisation that was set up in 1987 to provide a range of services for people in the City of Leicester, Leicestershire, and Rutland, affected by HIV/AIDS.

We also work to prevent the spread of HIV and to promote positive sexual health through education, training, and community initiatives.

By working together with other agencies, we play a major part in developing a co-ordinated response to the challenges of HIV/ AIDS.

LASS is committed to equal opportunities, confidentiality, challenging prejudice and discrimination, and continuously developing and improving our services. For this we need the involvement of everyone accessing our services...

[Bottom of page]

The Michael Wood Centre 53 Regent Road, Leicester, LE1 6YF. Telephone 0116 255 9995

http://www.tht.org.uk/sexual-health/...port-Services)

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/michael-wood/30/156/847
Michael Wood

Education Wreake Valley College, Syston
De Montfort University, Leicester

Test Equipment Engineer
Marconi Command and Control Systems ltd
September 1980 – July 1991 (10 years 11 months) Leicester, United Kingdom

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 14-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #216
troyhand
Banned

http://www.dialacelebrity.co.uk/oper...rofile.html/16
Ron Harris

Anyone who watched football in the 1960s and 70s will react to any mention of the name Chopper. To supporters of most clubs, Ron Harris was a brutal villain of the game, a no-nonsense stopper whose very presence on the pitch would raise the temperature by several degrees.

To Chelsea supporters, however, he epitomised a never-say-die spirit that carried the Blues through to FA Cup and European Cup Winners Cup success. His record of 655 League games for Chelsea is unlikely to be bettered and is a lasting testimony to a man who always gave 110% to his club. Ron always believed that even if his team was losing 2-0, with two minutes to go, there was always a chance of a result and his enthusiasm fed the rest of the team.

A professional footballer to the core, Ron was one of the best man-markers of his generation, as scores of his fellow pros will testify. A hard and unflinching player, Ron could also play a bit, as his hours of practicing ball control as a youngster paid off.

A proportion of proceeds generated by calls will be donated to Kidzone Kenya.
Old 14-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #217
troyhand
Banned

http://recorder.peacockmagazines.com...eo/page22.html

100 The Recorder Magazine

In honour of Douglas Gunn and his work in rediscovering the music of 17th and 18th Century Ireland, we are giving away a copy of ‘Ireland’s Enchantment’ by Emerald Baroque. To win it, simply answer the following question:

What is the name of Ireland’s most famous blind harper and composer, born in 1670 near Nobber, County Meath?

Send your answers to the editor at Scout Bottom Farm, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge HX7 5JS, or email [email protected] with the subject title ‘The Recorder Magazine Competition’ by 3rd October, 2011.

A winner will be drawn from all the correct answers.

In the summer issue we asked:
“Carl Dolmetsch and harpsichordist Joseph Saxby formed a formidable partnership over many years, giving first performances of many newly commissioned works which now form part of the staple recorder repertoire. However, for Dolmetsch’s second Wigmore Hall recital on 18th November 1939, Joseph Saxby was unable to play for the first public performance of Lennox Berkeley’s Sonatina, due to his Civil Defence Duties. Who played the harpsichord for this inaugural public performance?”

The correct answer is Christopher Wood. Congratulations to Maj-Lene Hedenborg of Stockholm, Sweden who will receive a copy of the musical miscellany, Carl Dolmetsch: A Centenary Celebration compiled and edited by Jeanne Dolmetsch and Andrew Mayes, with the accompanying performing score and recorder parts of the musical examples.

Recorders for Africa

A big thank you to everyone who donated recorders and music for the orphanage in Kenya. Lots of music and instruments were given, and Ruth Burbidge of Recorder MusicMail also gave generously. Other people gave money, which was used to get wooden music stands made. I went out to Nairobi in early July, taking a descant recorder for each of the 22 girls in the Kidzone orphanage, Nairobi, as well as lots of extra recorders, a large box of music, and a variety of percussion instruments. The girls loved the recorders, and after a week they played ‘Merrily we roll along’ (A, B and G only), at school assembly in front of 800 people. One, aged 11, also managed the Kenyan National Anthem. They had never tried the recorder before. A comment made by several of them was “Playing my recorder makes me happy”. Eight teachers at their school came forward, who have now been recruited to continue teaching the girls. They too, loved it. We made a rota so that from July the girls will have weekly recorder lessons in small groups. Shu-Shu, the house mother, has promised to help them to practise while she is peeling carrots in the kitchen. So thank you all, again. Helen Beare

If anyone wants to support the girls, contact Helen at [email protected], 22 Back Lane, Sedbergh, Cumbria LA10 5AQ. Recorders, stands and music can be sent free of charge to Africa, via British Airways pilots.

http://recorder.peacockmagazines.com...s/page0022.pdf

Last edited by troyhand; 14-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 14-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #218
dopey
Inactive

Lot's of view hits wracking up for this thread. It sure would be interesting to see where they're coming from. It's certainly generating a lot of interest it seems.

Keep going Troy

Last edited by dopey; 14-09-2013 at 08:08 PM.
dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #219
troyhand
Banned

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...3o2MAAk-vL8WQw
Project HAND UP - Why Puppets Are Effective for HIV and AIDS Education in Africa

Puppets are excellent communication tools for hard-to-teach concepts that society is uncomfortable with. It's no less true in Kenya. Here, we share about PHASE I and how we came to show that puppetry works, it works for all ages, and explain why it works.

Thanks to Doreen Apollos from KBC and Protus Lumiti from Nyumbani Children's Home for Kids with HIV. We made fans out of you.
http://www.projecthandup.org/

http://rotaractlimuru.wordpress.com/

ROTARACT LIMURU 1ST INSTALLATION PARTY (AUGUST 3RD 2013)

The Rotaract Club of Limuru hosted its first Installation Party on 3rd August 2013 to celebrate 1 year of community service since the club’s charter in 2012.The Installation Party was dubbed the FEVER BREAKER with a touch of Kikuyu Traditional installation regalia, dance and delicacies served to satisfaction. In attendance were: Rotarian Protus Lumiti the President of Rotary Club of Karen, Rotaractor Irinah Wandera – The Rotaract Country Chair Kenya, ADRR – Richard Mwangi as well as Rotaractors from other clubs with representatives from RCT CUEA, RCT TUK, RCT KARURA, RCT RCNC & RCT CUEA. Patrick Wangari was installed as the new president for the Rotary year 2013- 2014 taking over from the Charter President Joseph Muthama.

http://www.balpa.org/About-BALPA/Cha...s-Welcome.aspx

Welcome to BALPA, the British Airline Pilots Association, the professional association and registered trade union established to represent the interests of all UK pilots.

Whether you fly single engine piston aircraft, helicopters or intercontinental jets you can find a home at BALPA. We welcome all flightcrew into our family.

googlesearch...

Quote:
BALPA | Kenya
http://www.balpa.org/getdoc/61206670...ya.aspx‎
... care and support to HIV-infected and affected children, families and communities in
a sustainable manner ... The manager of the Home is Protus Lumiti.

BALPA | Kenya
http://www.balpa.org/getdoc/61206670...ya.aspx‎
Nyumbani Orphanage Location: Nairobi, Kenya. About: a special home that cares for
HIV positive orphans. They currently provide holistic care to over 100 HIV
What you get...

Quote:
http://www.balpa.org/getdoc/61206670...aa1/kenya.aspx

Sorry the page you were looking for has either not been found or contains an error that prevents us showing it. Please check the URL you were looking for and try again.

Last edited by troyhand; 15-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 15-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #220
troyhand
Banned

http://www.corporateregister.com/a10...p00-exs-uk.pdf
British Airways Social and Environmental Report 2000

Page 28-29
Employee initiatives
Some remarkable employees have set up independently registered charities to bring much needed services and relief to deprived and distressed communities. Their personal compassion and leadership has been an inspiration to their colleagues within the airline (and to many people outside). We list here some examples of our employee initiatives. Details of contacts and charity numbers can be found on the inside back cover of this report.

Nyumbani which means ‘home’ in Swahili, provides care for up to 70 abandoned and orphaned HIV positive children outside Nairobi. By far the biggest single group of supporters of the facility are staff and crew of British Airways, who have been involved for 9 years through fundraising in the UK and Kenya. They also visit regularly with useful items, as well as playing with the children. The model has been so successful that it is being replicated in other parts of Africa such as Dar Es Salaam.

Children of Mukuru was established by British Airways worldwide stewardess, Theresa Strain, after a chance meeting in 1995 with Sister Barbara Dooley of the Sisters of Mercy in Nairobi. After seeing young children living in slums or on the streets, exposed to crime, violence, drugs and prostitution, Theresa promised to help Kenya’s forgotten children. The charity’s purpose is to raise awareness of the plight of the children and to provide them with food, clothing, education and basic healthcare.

Dreamflight was founded in 1986 by Patricia Pearce and Derek Pereira along with British Airways colleagues who raised enough money to take a 747, carrying incurably ill, sick or disabled children and helpers to Disneyworld in Florida. The first Dreamflight took off in 1987 and since then it has become an annual event with an average of 200 children participating each year. The charity aims to bring some fun and joy into the lives of children who perhaps can’t wait long enough for the medical breakthrough they need or whose illnesses and treatments have brought pain, distress and disruption to their lives.

The BA Runners project was founded by British Airways cabin crew member Britt Angel. Britt first visited a project for street children in Albania in 1993 which left her appalled and committed to helping such children. Britt created a project that enables British Airways colleagues to spend time interacting with the children whilst delivering vital aid. The airline provides a warehouse where donated goods are stored before delivery to the children by staff volunteers. More than a tonne of aid is delivered each month by British Airways World Cargo. Runners visit projects in Europe, India, South America and Africa, spending time with the children in play, sport and education.

Sreepur Children’s Village, Bangladesh. For more than 10 years Sreepur Children’s village has given care and hope to more than 600 destitute children in rural Bangladesh. It was stewardess Pat Kerr who heard of the plight of the children about to be evicted from their overcrowded orphanage in the back streets of Dhaka. She had been working there as a volunteer while on layovers. Pat appealed to the Chairman and people of British Airways to raise the money for a new home. The Dhaka Orphanage project raised nearly a million pounds and Sreepur village was opened in 1989.

About 30 miles north of Dhaka, the village has its own school, clinic, market garden, fish farm and training workshops. Hand made paper is produced from waste jute and other ecologically sound materials. By training women from local villages in wheatstraw decoration of hand made paper and card a small income is raised. Sreepur helps in relief of poverty in much of the surrounding countryside.

The Lord is my Shepherd Educational Centre, Nyanyano, Ghana. In 1995, when Dave Mustill, a senior flight dispatcher, visited Ghana he came across a school in the shade of a tree where lessons were disrupted for the duration of the rainy season. He was determined to build them a more permanent structure. Through his fund raising and with support from The Hartley Trust, British Airways and his colleagues the school now provides education to over 500 children, and is transforming their lives.

Happy Child celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2000. Over this time holidays and trips have been provided to many deprived and handicapped children from England, Scotland and Wales. Established, and still chaired, by Doug Wood, a Senior Customer Support Officer in Engineering, the charity runs activities such as raffles, fairs, and a bouncy castle to generate funds to provide the holidays and outings.

The Cargo Kidney Machine Fund was founded in 1979 by staff working in British Airways Cargo. The fund has donated over £400,000 towards medical equipment and research, as well as supporting other kidney charities and providing aftercare for patients who have suffered kidney failure or have been given transplants.

Change for Good
The Change for Good programme (onboard collection of currencies for UNICEF) goes from strength to strength thanks to the continuing generosity of customers. During the last financial year we raised £2.2m (a record) and were awarded a kitemark by Business in the Community for excellence in cause-related marketing. The money raised funds for projects in the developing world, which provide children with shelter, nutrition, education and health care. Cabin Crew champions promote the programme and often visit projects on our network.

Countless other employees help their communities in many smaller but equally selfless ways. British Airways runs a Cheques For Charity scheme to recognise and encourage employees in their charitable endeavours. In the last year, 325 employees shared in a £100,000 fund to support the good causes they committed time to. The commitment of British Airways to support
employees in their voluntary activities was recognised this year by a Highly Commended Whitbread Volunteer Action Award.

Community commitment
The airline is involved with a host of community organisations. These include airport consultative groups at Heathrow and Gatwick, London First, West London Leadership, West London Inward, the Single Regeneration Budget Partnership Boards for Hounslow, Feltham, Hayes/West Drayton, The Southall Business Partnership which is supporting Southall’s regeneration, and Thames Valley Groundwork. There is regular contact with officers of local authorities particularly those around Heathrow and Gatwick.

Page 49
How to contact the featured charities

Nyumbani (Registered charity number 0172191)
Contact Chris Lowthian + 44 (0)1793 881606

Children of Mukuru (registered charity number 1076796)
Contact Theresa Strain + 44 (0)468 091421

Dreamflight (registered charity number 802930)
Contact Patricia Pearce + 44 (0)1494 792991

BA Runners
Contact Julie Shorter +44 (0)20 8513 0866

Sreepur Children’s Village, Bangladesh (registered charity number 277794)
Contact Dhaka Orphanage Project, Compass Centre (S727), PO Box 10, Heathrow Airport, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW6 2JA

The Lord is my Shepherd Educational Centre, Nyanyano, Ghana (registered charity number 1073839)
Contact Dave Mustill +44 (0)20 8949 2864

Happy Child (registered charity number 800793)
Contact Doug Wood +44 (0)20 8562 7163

Cargo Kidney Machine Fund (registered charity number 281 320)
Contact John Cooper 32, Hazel Grove, Staines, Middlesex, UK, TW18 1JL

Change for Good, UNICEF (Registered Charity No. 1072612)
Contact Rachael Ward + 44 (0)20 7405 5592 or British Airways Sustainable Business Unit – Community (see above)

Doug Wood better not be related to Simon.

Last edited by troyhand; 15-09-2013 at 12:27 AM.