Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 26-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
midnightacity

Post Have any tips for effective story wrtiting?

Anyone have any tips on how to effectively write and tell a great fictional story?
midnightacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
wingwang

Have a start, middle and end
wingwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
grandmasterp
Banned

Vampires.
Always popular are vampires.
Or cowboys.
Maybe vampire cowboys

Last edited by grandmasterp; 26-02-2015 at 08:23 PM.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
truthspoon
Banned

Write about something you know about or understand.

Last edited by truthspoon; 26-02-2015 at 08:55 PM.
truthspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
fishonwheels

Question

I wrote an experimental, satirical "short story" titled "Hollywood North" for a creative writing course i was taking in college and it was done as a screenplay and poked fun at action flick cliches and had Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz, and Harold and Kumar playing four of my characters. Got a terrible mark on it and it was badly written but I posted it online on some failed writers support group site and shortly after this really crappy movie came out starring the Rock and J. Timbs that had uncanny parallels to my story/screenplay, including a climatic battle scene aboard an exploding ZEPELLIN and the geronimo escape, and even the pacing and transition from scene to scene were stylisticly similar, and also the fact the characters would spontaneously break into musical performances just like in my genre crossing action/comedy/musical w/ an ensemble cast...plus all the awful and wooden one liners...all made the writings twins and in case u hadn't noticed "Hollywood North" is a monicker for a city here alluding to it being the center of Canada's film industry. And the title Southland Tales was also a geographic reference. The movie was a spectacular fail w/ a budget of $17 mil and a gross of $1/3 mil and had the artistic value of a pile of shit. It's hard to say who copied whom cos they wrote it before I wrote mine but the shooting commenced four months after I submitted my thing...u know what they say about great minds.

*i wrote another short story for the same class about puppies and flowers and family secrets which got an A. It was very formulaic and less than mediocre imho.

Last edited by fishonwheels; 26-02-2015 at 10:55 PM.
fishonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
doomlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightacity View Post
Anyone have any tips on how to effectively write and tell a great fictional story?
I would suggest that you visit Colleen Thompson's webpage on how to create fiction.
There is also a book called Write to the Point by Bill Stott.
Now, it was originally written with those people writing dissertations etc in mind, but, the book applies equally well to fiction as well.

Last edited by doomlord; 26-02-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added text
doomlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
creepingdave

Always start off with 'It was a dark and stormy night...'

Always have the story at the end change so all the events were 'just a dream'.
creepingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
white light

Absinthe and laudanum are supposedly good writing tools.

As with any creative art endeavor I suggest that you just start doing it. Ideas will come with the act of doing it. I don't just mean topics, but how to structure and formulate what you are doing.

Last edited by white light; 26-02-2015 at 11:52 PM.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
fishonwheels

As u can see u don't want my advice but r u writing a short story, play, novella, novel? Good writers are avid readers. I'd say read works of ur chosen format not necessarily the classics or by anyone great but pay attention to the ones u particularly enjoy. My prob was/is I dont reads, and whatever I read was non-fiction.

Last edited by fishonwheels; 27-02-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 27-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #10
mrclub
Inactive

Anything anti Christian works well in the west, deffo gonna get you sales!
mrclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 02:11 AM   #11
helloperator
Banned

Read a lot!
helloperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
vegan_on_the_land

Have a good plot but even better characters. Characters are the most important. Make them believable and the type of people that other people will be interested in.

How to Write a Million, by Dibell, Scott Card and Turco. Three books in one: Plot, Character and Viewpoint, Dialogue.

I wish I had had that book when I wrote my novel. My novel was heavy on the plot and light on characters. It was also rather prescient in the way some terrorists resorted to unbelievably harsh methods. Similar methods are being used now by Islamic terrorists. Mine were anti-nuclear terrorists.

Keep a notebook with you to record ideas that come to you and snippets of conversation that demonstrate how real people talk.
vegan_on_the_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
tnt1

Quote:
Yes. Follow the format you see in the paper 'Altered States' in my rabbit hole. Note the way it is laid out. Note the first paragraph describes what you will be discussing. Then discuss it. Then summarize and do it again at the end. Basically in a nut shell the formula is there, just expand or contract it to fit each paper.
Old 27-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
andy1033

Write from your own life, but obviously change names of real people. Then just embellish the story a bit, with what readers want.
"You put 10 tonnes of proof in front of people, if they are not ready to accept an idea, they will not accept the proof. No amount of evidence will suffice to prove anything, it is the jury that will decide, and you are the jury."
William Cooper - behold a pale horse video
^^
So true
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
grandmasterp
Banned

A non linear story line keeps the reader's attention better than having one thing happen after another via a 'lined up ' plot.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #16
farros

The most important thing is to write. Don't be one of these writers who gets caught up in the planning but never actually puts pen to paper. Most of your ideas will come as you're writing. My fantasy began with the image of a woman running through the woods. I didn't know from whom or where to, or that it'd be a fantasy. The world sprang from that alone.

Read your chosen genre. Immerse yourself in it. If you're writing a sci-fi, read sci fi.

Start with the intention of writing something crap. Then there'll be no pressure on you to impress yourself. Read 'On Writing' by Steven King.

Give everything names, if your characters are walking along a road, give that road a name, and if possible some lore behind why its called that. Tolkien's world was so rich because everything had a name, sometimes multiple names, no matter how insignificant it was.

Never start sentences with The, he, she, and etc.. Doing so your story will read like a series of statements.

Prose/wordplay is more important than narrative. If prose is good, a poor narrative is forgivable, but a good narrative won't save poor prose.

Download this.. http://wordweb.info/free/ Essential tool for writing.

Last edited by farros; 27-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.
farros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
midnightacity

Quote:
I wrote an experimental, satirical "short story" titled "Hollywood North" for a creative writing course i was taking in college and it was done as a screenplay and poked fun at action flick cliches and had Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz, and Harold and Kumar playing four of my characters. Got a terrible mark on it and it was badly written but I posted it online on some failed writers support group site and shortly after this really crappy movie came out starring the Rock and J. Timbs that had uncanny parallels to my story/screenplay, including a climatic battle scene aboard an exploding ZEPELLIN and the geronimo escape, and even the pacing and transition from scene to scene were stylisticly similar, and also the fact the characters would spontaneously break into musical performances just like in my genre crossing action/comedy/musical w/ an ensemble cast...plus all the awful and wooden one liners...all made the writings twins and in case u hadn't noticed "Hollywood North" is a monicker for a city here alluding to it being the center of Canada's film industry. And the title Southland Tales was also a geographic reference. The movie was a spectacular fail w/ a budget of $17 mil and a gross of $1/3 mil and had the artistic value of a pile of shit. It's hard to say who copied whom cos they wrote it before I wrote mine but the shooting commenced four months after I submitted my thing...u know what they say about great minds.
Now that sounds like a really strange but interesting short story well since it does sound quite fresh and different anyway. Maybe the film writers some how arrived at the same idea because they were inspired by something similar unless they stole the idea somehow like they could of gone online and stole it, apparently these days they even make films based on art found on sites like deviant-art .

Yes I am writing a short story for fun, I have planned it out a bit and started writing out the chapters now.
  • To be very vague it is going to be set on another planet, be about seeing the same thing in different ways and parallel some events that are happening in the world today a little bit.
  • Not so good at writing but once done I think I will edit it a lot. I am more just curious on what people have to say on the topic to be honest.

Last edited by midnightacity; 27-02-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 27-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
midnightacity

Interesting ideas.
I suppose maybe a book on vampire cowboys would sell, since vampire books are popular aren't they? well probably.
A non linear narrative sounds like it could make a good book, as long as it wasn't confusing like those books with three different main characters.

Thanks for the links and book recommendations btw

Quote:
Give everything names, if your characters are walking along a road, give that road a name, and if possible some lore behind why its called that. Tolkien's world was so rich because everything had a name, sometimes multiple names, no matter how insignificant it was.
That's quite a good idea I think.

Quote:
Write from your own life, but obviously change names of real people. Then just embellish the story a bit, with what readers want.
Yeah many authors do take lots of inspiration from life events.

Quote:
Always have the story at the end change so all the events were 'just a dream'.
That is how I used to write stories when I was younger lol.

Last edited by midnightacity; 27-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 27-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
white light

Quote:
Interesting ideas.
I suppose maybe a book on vampire cowboys would sell, since vampire books are popular aren't they? well probably.
A non linear narrative sounds like it could make a good book, as long as it wasn't confusing like those books with three different main characters.
I guess once I write something crap I can improve it
Thanks for the links btw

That's quite a good idea I think.
Some writers do the opposite. No rules as such. I like Tolkien btw.

Last edited by white light; 27-02-2015 at 05:18 PM.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #20
fishonwheels

Quote:
Now that sounds like a really strange but interesting short story well since it does sound quite fresh and different anyway. Maybe the film writers some how arrived at the same idea because they were inspired by something similar unless they stole the idea somehow like they could of gone online and stole it, apparently these days they even make films based on art found on sites like deviant-art .

Yes I am writing a short story for fun, I have planned it out a bit and started writing out the chapters now.
  • To be very vague it is going to be set on another planet, be about seeing the same thing in different ways and parallel some events that are happening in the world today a little bit.
  • Not so good at writing but once done I think I will edit it a lot. I am more just curious on what people have to say on the topic to be honest.
Newton liebnitz someone was bound to write an awfully cheesy play with an exploding zeppelin and singing and dancing, independently and around the same time as someone else. Sci fi short stories...Philip K Dick springs to mind tho i've never read him. They say he wasn't much of a writer but had great ideas.