Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 24-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #201
magritte

Reupholstered this stool I got out of a skip I even customised the leather

Last edited by magritte; 24-01-2014 at 09:28 PM.
magritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #202
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by magritte View Post
Reupholstered this stool I got out of a skip I even customised the leather

Nice work, much better that Ikea, did you emboss the leather with the Celtic patterns.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #203
magritte

Quote:
Originally Posted by super glue View Post
Nice work, much better that Ikea, did you emboss the leather with the Celtic patterns.
Yeah but not by hand I used a machine to etch it. It draw it by hand though it's from a listed church from where I used to live in Hampshire, we probably stole if from the Celts though

Also found this chest at the same time it had alot more black and crap on it before this though.

Polished it up nicely as below. Despite pine being 'fashionable' I generally dont like it compared to say oak, elm or fruitwoods. However I think I am starting to 'get it' after doing this up.
Old 28-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #204
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah but not by hand I used a machine to etch it. It draw it by hand though it's from a listed church from where I used to live in Hampshire, we probably stole if from the Celts though

Also found this chest at the same time it had alot more black and crap on it before this though.

Polished it up nicely as below. Despite pine being 'fashionable' I generally dont like it compared to say oak, elm or fruitwoods. However I think I am starting to 'get it' after doing this up.
Looks a lot better now its done, but what counts most of all is, you like it whatever it is.
Old 30-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #205
getagrip
Inactive

Fantastic !!, superglue. More like a piece of art.

I had a do at the leather pouch & lined it with some deep purple velvet, quite proud of myself

I bought an overstich wheel & a small hole punch off ebay, made the job even easier, thanks for the inspiration.
getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #206
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
Fantastic !!, superglue. More like a piece of art.

I had a do at the leather pouch & lined it with some deep purple velvet, quite proud of myself

I bought an overstich wheel & a small hole punch off ebay, made the job even easier, thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks getagrip, glad you got something out of the skills model, when things appear before the eyes that the hands created, it is a kind of art isn't it, we were all born to create and yet we use the better part of our consciousness to destroy, is this normal, I don't know, all I do know is we must carry on creating whatever happens.

If we allow ourselves to become slaves to the familiar rhythm, we eventually loose our link with the earth I think .
Old 31-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #207
griswald

Scratch awl is nice, sure you couldn,t use that, its too nice

Saw sharpening aids are good too, and definitely hand sharpened saws are far superior to , putting them in for a resharpen.

I,ve seen so many good saws ruined from recutting. As saw sharpeners on the high street, recut, thinking its sharpening. Its not as you know. A saw needs to be hand sharpened to the correct angle from both sides obviously to get a perfect even cut.Machine sharpened/recut saws are only done form one side, and this causes the saw to have a bias on one side, and pull to one side while cutting.

So as you say super g, learn the skill, and get a sweet cutting saw into the bargain

Dont ever argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Warning duely received and noted. Thankyou. gris..
griswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #208
grandmasterp
Banned

Talking to a don at a Uni work conference this morning.
He retires soon and signed up a while ago on a French Polishing course as a pre retirement hobby.
He told me that he has orders backed up to do French Polishing for antique furniture restorers.
There's a trade I'd thought had all but disappeared.
Apparently not.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #209
magritte

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
He retires soon and signed up a while ago on a French Polishing course as a pre retirement hobby.
He told me that he has orders backed up to do French Polishing for antique furniture restorers.
Apparently not.
Its much easier to find a french polisher than alot of other skills. Traditional upholstery is a tricky one to find. Who wants to play with horse hair and springs when you can bung in a piece of foam!

Best of luck with your course. As an apprentice I did an antique childs chair once, put me off it till quite a few years later. Then again I wasnt given much instruction. You do have to work fairly quick though.
Old 31-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #210
magritte

Quote:
An American white oak chopping board made from a scrap end/cut off, very useful for the kitchen.

Fantastic board, did you make the knife too? Looks like a high quality Japanese one.
Old 31-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #211
griswald

Chopping board in american red oak is a nice addition to any kitchen, and safer than other materials too.
Wooden chopping boards contain an enzyme that inhibits the growth of bacteria on the board, far better than a man made fibre material or plastic.
And of course it looks the business.
Nice

Dont ever argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Warning duely received and noted. Thankyou. gris..
griswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #212
wendypeace27

Super Glue, I was just wondering. Have you ever tried a chicken coop? Or do you have any ideas to share on them?

Just curious.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #213
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswald View Post
Chopping board in american red oak is a nice addition to any kitchen, and safer than other materials too.
Wooden chopping boards contain an enzyme that inhibits the growth of bacteria on the board, far better than a man made fibre material or plastic.
And of course it looks the business.
Nice
That's right Gris, butchers still use the old beach chopping blocks, I think the oak contains tannins is that correct, the same tannins that tan leather the old and still the best way.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #214
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypeace27 View Post
Super Glue, I was just wondering. Have you ever tried a chicken coop? Or do you have any ideas to share on them?

Just curious.

Thanks
Do you mean a chicken run type cage.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #215
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Fantastic board, did you make the knife too? Looks like a high quality Japanese one.
The knife was a present from our Japanese student for looking after him when he was here with us.

Last edited by the apprentice; 01-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #216
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswald View Post
Scratch awl is nice, sure you couldn,t use that, its too nice

Saw sharpening aids are good too, and definitely hand sharpened saws are far superior to , putting them in for a resharpen.

I,ve seen so many good saws ruined from recutting. As saw sharpeners on the high street, recut, thinking its sharpening. Its not as you know. A saw needs to be hand sharpened to the correct angle from both sides obviously to get a perfect even cut.Machine sharpened/recut saws are only done form one side, and this causes the saw to have a bias on one side, and pull to one side while cutting.

So as you say super g, learn the skill, and get a sweet cutting saw into the bargain
An old Goreman showed me how to sharpen saws properly about 25 years ago, the money I have saved instead of buying those hard point/throw away versions must run into the many thousands by now.

I once made the mistake in sending a nice breasted saw to the cutters, when it came back it was a flat tooth line instead of a curved one, wasn't best pleased as it took me two years of tweaking whilst sharpening her every time to get it back again.

Last edited by the apprentice; 01-02-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #217
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
Apparently not.
The old guy who was my saw doctor tutor is also a polisher, did you know that the French call it English polishing , he also restores furniture and swears by animal glue for this, as was originally used.

We did a glue strength test one year, by gluing together exactly the same length and width of sticks, the same overlap etc, the animal glue won hands down, boy did the old boys know what they were doing
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #218
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Its much easier to find a french polisher than alot of other skills. Traditional upholstery is a tricky one to find. Who wants to play with horse hair and springs when you can bung in a piece of foam!

Best of luck with your course. As an apprentice I did an antique childs chair once, put me off it till quite a few years later. Then again I wasnt given much instruction. You do have to work fairly quick though.
We have a couple of boys and upholsterers here in town, who once worked for the Royals at Windsor, making curtains etc, the quality of the stuff they do is mind blowing.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #219
wendypeace27

Quote:
Do you mean a chicken run type cage.
Yes, lol. A simple one I guess. Or an easy nice looking one, lol.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #220
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypeace27 View Post
Yes, lol. A simple one I guess. Or an easy nice looking one, lol.
The easiest way to make one, is get two lengths of plastic water pipe and a wooden frame for the floor and then bend the pipes from the corners to form a dome, then cover with chicken netting, move them around on some rough ground and the chucks will mow it all down. for the rest area use a simple wooden box with a perch just off the floor.