Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 31-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
grandmasterp
Banned

Default Democracy and its Discontents

Democracy aint perfect by any means.
I reckon it is basically a good idea that gets fecked up along the way.
One person gets one vote and the majority vote wins.
Can anybody suggest a better alternative to that?
What might be a better way than Democracy?
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
magritte

I always thought there should be something at the end of a term to rate the previous government. You should get a vote or they are held accountable to thier pre election promises to decide the fate of thier pensions or something they might care about.
magritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
white light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
Benevolent dictatorship would be better. There just aren't enough benevolent dictators around these days.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
the tealady
Forum Advisor

Quote:
Politics is filthy no matter how you view or try to count it. The best we can do is to run parallel systems to try and keep it fair.

You also need something like the electoral college / quota system plus a mechanism to prevent gerrymandering as used to happen in Queensland (and other places).

PS: under the current system I do not vote, I attend to have my name crossed off and I take a black marker to deface my paper so they cannot use it for their own purposes.

http://politicsandpolicy.org/article...politics-local

http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/counting/senate_count.htm

I would like to see optional-preferential voting allowed but neither party will agree to that because it is too transparent, because its much harder for them to fudge their figures.

Please don't feed the trolls.

When I LIKE a post, it does not always mean I agree, it can also just mean I think a valid point has been made.

Last edited by the tealady; 06-01-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: ref
the tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
iamawaveofthesea

The swiss have a far more democratic system in that they hold regular referendums

But why stop there?

Why not take decision making down to every level and have peoples assemblies, workers councils and consensus democracy?

Lets involve the public at local level but to do that we also need REAL information so that people understand the implications of decisions

At the moment people are starved of real information and real voice
Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
the tealady
Forum Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawaveofthesea View Post
The swiss have a far more democratic system in that they hold regular referendums

But why stop there?

Why not take decision making down to every level and have peoples assemblies, workers councils and consensus democracy?

Lets involve the public at local level but to do that we also need REAL information so that people understand the implications of decisions

At the moment people are starved of real information and real voice
Back in the 70's there was a British movie about this. People were summoned to vote on everything and eventually it descended into chaos as people got sick of it, resented the intrusion into their day etc until the system reverted back. A great bit of programming to put people off IMO.

When I LIKE a post, it does not always mean I agree, it can also just mean I think a valid point has been made.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
iamawaveofthesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tealady View Post
Back in the 70's there was a British movie about this. People were summoned to vote on everything and eventually it descended into chaos as people got sick of it, resented the intrusion into their day etc until the system reverted back. A great bit of programming to put people off IMO.
I think if people were involved at local level they would be more interested in things because they are issues that directly affect them

At the moment people don't feel politics delivers or that the politicians ever listen to them and that is a major turn off and why so many people disengage from it

If you look at the big referendums like brexit or the scottish independence vote they had massive turn outs and that is because people will involve themselves in things when they feel it actually makes a difference

otherwise they reason: 'what's the point' and they turn their back on it

Last edited by iamawaveofthesea; 06-01-2017 at 11:35 PM.
iamawaveofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
the tealady
Forum Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawaveofthesea View Post
I think if people were involved at local level they would be more interested in things because they are issues that directly affect them

At the moment people don't feel politics delivers or that the politicians ever listen to them and that is a major turn off and why so many people disengage from it

If you look at the big referendums like brexit or the scottish independence vote they had massive turn outs and that is because people will involve themselves in things when they feel it actually makes a difference

otherwise they reason: 'what's the point' and they turn their back on it
At the last council election here there was a massive candidate list and voters turned out in droves. The old guard was largely booted out and the CEO has resigned because the Mayor has been holding his feet to the fire and the new crew are really getting things done.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #9
vancity eagle
Banned

Yes Direct Democracy would be best.

It was supposedly practiced in Gaddafi's Libya.

But this could easily be subverted by vote tampering especially if things like the internet were used for voting, or even if paper slips were collected.

The problem isn't so much the type of system me thinks, its type of people RUNNING the system.

Western democracy would be great if it wasn't subverted by money and special interests.
vancity eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 AM   #10
decim

Rule by the overt end time Antichrist.

Let's get this shit over with.

DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental. Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
decim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
paddy_blake

Quote:
Anarchy. Although anarchy is not a system, but more a reset switch for human evolution.

Humans have so far evolved into a herd animal or slave under civilization. Only way to change that condition is to get rid of the prison we've built for ourselves.

Last edited by paddy_blake; 07-01-2017 at 09:44 AM.
paddy_blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
raburgeson

It's a good thing I live in a Republic.
raburgeson is offline   Reply With Quote