Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 30-10-2015, 11:18 AM   #41
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic tramp View Post
Yep done that. You can do a full English breakfast in one too (if you start it off the night before). Casseroles. Curries. Allsorts.

Also, I have boiled a kettle over 9 tealight candles and cooked that way too, before now, takes a bit of time but does work.
If you have a garden of sorts, you can build a simple brick or tin rocket stove, collect dry twigs (free ) and cook everything. Very powerful and no need for logging.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #42
kizzie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic tramp View Post
I remember as a student using my overcoat as an extra bedspread. In the morning, getting warm in the kitchen by putting all the cooker rings on at once.

Where I live we have OAPs spending all day in the local library, Wetherspoons or travelling on the free city bus all day just to keep warm.

Have you ever seen what an electric meter does when you put the oven or central heating on ? It's like watching an Apollo Countdown on x 28 Fast Forward...

I have a electric blanket and its my luxury item.. Never thought I would ever have one but tried it and the sheer pleasure of getting in a nice almost hot bed makes me giggle like a kid.

Electric in my place seems to last so long. I get that warm home discount in march and that last me almost till the winter. I dont have TV only my laptop cooker is gas or use my slow cooker , pressure cookers that saves time and money too.

Gas though with heating is a bugger for costs.. I have the boiler turned off if no heating is being used as even the boiler just firing up to keep a drip of water hot will use almost £10.. have a power shower and dishwasher so no real need for hot water.

My son and his lovely partner for the last few years have been paying £50 a mth towards my heating costs. That has really come in handy.. before I become ill warmth was not a big problem but when your health declines you feel the cold so much.. My health is now better but still dont do cold
that money will probably stop now as they are bravely jumping into a life change.. But I will use all I know to keep warm .. this is where fleeces really come into there own! no more to scared to leave the one warm room as you take your warmth with you.
kizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #43
kizzie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaper View Post
Did you have a toilet outside in the garden?
I've rented a place like that before.
But you get used to it too.
Bath tub was in the kitchen separated by a curtain.

This is my 6th year without heating. Hate the thought of burning too much money.
Yes loo outside and the bath was a tin one that was filled up by boiling kettles and saucepans on the fire and cooker.

Im actuly looking for a tin bath now as I only have a wet room and sometimes want to soak my poorly joints
Old 30-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #44
kizzie
Registered Users

Quote:
If you have a garden of sorts, you can build a simple brick or tin rocket stove, collect dry twigs (free ) and cook everything. Very powerful and no need for logging.

Yes could even do it all on a small BBQ.

I so wish I have a real log burner. I have a chimney and a fire place but It cost a lot of money to make a fireplace good and install a log burner I would also like a back burner on it (is there such a thing) that could heat up the rads and water for the winter time ..
Old 30-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #45
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzie View Post
I have a electric blanket and its my luxury item.. Never thought I would ever have one but tried it and the sheer pleasure of getting in a nice almost hot bed makes me giggle like a kid.

Electric in my place seems to last so long. I get that warm home discount in march and that last me almost till the winter. I dont have TV only my laptop cooker is gas or use my slow cooker , pressure cookers that saves time and money too.

Gas though with heating is a bugger for costs.. I have the boiler turned off if no heating is being used as even the boiler just firing up to keep a drip of water hot will use almost £10.. have a power shower and dishwasher so no real need for hot water.

My son and his lovely partner for the last few years have been paying £50 a mth towards my heating costs. That has really come in handy.. before I become ill warmth was not a big problem but when your health declines you feel the cold so much.. My health is now better but still dont do cold
that money will probably stop now as they are bravely jumping into a life change.. But I will use all I know to keep warm .. this is where fleeces really come into there own! no more to scared to leave the one warm room as you take your warmth with you.
I hate to say this but electric blanket is the worst thing you can have kizzie. Switch to hot water bottle before you go to bed. When you are hooked up to the circuit via electrick blanket you are constantly hooked up to the mind control waves. The technology exists. You just don't know how you are manipulated yet.

Last edited by elshaper; 30-10-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #46
kizzie
Registered Users

Quote:
I hate to say this but electric blanket is the worst thing you can have kizzie. Switch to hot water bottle before you go to bed. When you are hooked up to the circuit via electrick blanket you are constantly hooked up to the mind control waves. The technology exists. You just don't know how you are manipulated yet.
Its all off before I get into bed.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #47
cosmic tramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by u877gut_y View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WEGlQ4xBa8

Here is the principle: a container, like a 2-inch-tall bread tin, has tealight candles in the center. An upside-down pot rests on the container over the candles. A larger upside-down flower pot rests over the first container. This pot has a hole in its bottom.

The inner pot acts like a furnace, storing the hot air above the candles and it will get too hot to touch. Hot air escapes underneath it which then rises inside the outer pot. All that's needed are enough candles and a part of the room you don't normally go to. You could even build a shelf for it or get a small table. Have a container of water nearby just in case.

In my 11x10-foot room I tried 3 and 4 candles & that seems enough for most winter days.

Most tealights last 4 hours. In the UK the cheapest place to get them is the Ikea.com Web site.

I've more than halved my fuel cost.

(Some people are concerned about the toxic fumes from candles. Why not make you own beeswax tealight candles? Use one alongside the standard tealights & it will destroy its toxins (and dust) through the production of negative ions. Get filtered wax, which means impurities have been removed. A sturdier wick is needed than those used for standard paraffin candles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80k83xJ28E )
Litle problemette with all this I've discovered this week, if you try and obtain ceramic plantpots at this time of year, you'll find most retail outlets, hardware & pound shops, supermarkets, can't oblige as the gardening season's now over. Garden centres maybe.

Also...thinking BIG here... if you were to use a large stainless steel bowl as the base ( the size that would fit into a kitchen basin) say around 12-20 tealight candles, a large ceramic pot/tub, the type that is used on patios, pot turned right way up, this could effectively act a home baking Tandoori Naan bread kiln.

Last edited by cosmic tramp; 05-11-2015 at 12:08 PM.
cosmic tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #48
elshaper
Inactive

I know oz won't be able to resist from lol.....BUT here is another way to keep yourself warm. tadah!

I've only lit one tealight and my room is 18C. Marvelous.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #49
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
Oh my god ,winter is coming again for the poor Brits ...

Break out the candles and flowerpots!

This was covered here before.... I made some brilliantly witty comments...

Anyone remember which thread?
Yep winter comes round but once a year and the same candle pot ideas, I remember it well oz, here was my contribution to keeping warm this winter last time.

Watch from 29.50

or you could opt for version two, shared bodily warmth.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #50
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by super glue View Post
or you could opt for version two, shared bodily warmth.
Many members are having to make a do with inflated dolls.... it would not be feasible.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #51
u877gut_y

oz93666, the candle's temperature has nothing to do with the flame's temperature. As soon as it's lit the wick's temperature will be well above that of the candle. The flame will depend on the air's oxygen content & the amount of wick there is. But, yes, they want to kill us all. Killing is easy for parasites.

I got my inner pot by asking at a charity shop. You could also try a big glass pickle jar.

The outer pot doesn't get as hot so that could be made from plastic.

Cosmic tramp, I don't know who came up with the idea for a flower-pot heater but you can tell those people that I've come up with ideas on improving it.

In winter you'll need to use your ordinary heater along with the flower-pot heater to bring the room's temperature to the correct level first. The flower-pot heater is then used to maintain that temperature as less heat is needed.

I made my own candles fuelled by olive oil. I put a wick in a candle sustainer (from Ebay). This was placed in a small container which was then filled with oil. 10 ml of oil lasted 160 minutes. The container should not be plastic as this can develop a hole and a container can be made out of a thin aluminium drink can suitable for two wicks. (I made a 5 cm wick by rolling a piece of kitchen paper. It was able to stand in the oil for hours without disintegrating.)

Another idea to speed up heating in winter is to add two tea light candles filled with an hour's oil/fuel. The containers should be small, like tops from plastic bottles, rather than the larger tealight-candle containers.

If someone first tries the flower-pot heater in deep winter it may appear not to work as the person didn't realize that extra heat was needed initially.

Two candles should be enough for a cold early November/autumn/fall in a small- & medium-sized room.

I don't recommend using the water candles for olive/rapeseed oil as the oil doesn't spread that well through the wick.

I discovered that rapeseed (canola) oil is a non-toxic natural healthy oil that can be obtained cheaply. Similar to olive oil it has a greater omega-3 content:
http://www.rapeseedoilbenefits.com/g...-benefits.aspx

You can get 20-litre containers of refined & cold-pressed rapeseed oil on Amazon.

(Cold pressed means that the seeds are squeezed to extract the oil. It is then filtered and bottled. No additives are added and being unrefined tends to cost more. Normally, high temperature mechanical pressing and chemical solvents such as Hexane are used to extract many culinary oils. This yields more oil and profit but destroys its health value and leaves solvent traces, although here you're burning rather than eating it. The cold-pressed oil works well as a skin moisturiser, lip balm and for hair growth & for frying. It's by far the cheapest cold-pressed natural oil I've found at £2-3 a litre.

In the comments of
http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...-rapeseed-oil/
UK rapeseed growers have said that very little pesticide residues are found in their cold-pressed oils.)

I saw a YouTube video where someone put a toilet roll in a tin can and poured isopropanol alcohol into it. After lighting, it produced a decent sized flame. Maybe it works with oil too.

Last edited by u877gut_y; 06-11-2015 at 10:18 PM.
u877gut_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #52
oz93666

Quote:
Originally Posted by u877gut_y View Post
oz93666, the candle's temperature has nothing to do with the flame's temperature. As soon as it's lit the wick's temperature will be well above that of the candle. The flame will depend on the air's oxygen content & the amount of wick there is..
I never suggested the the flame would be cooler with a refrigerated candle, but smaller with less heat output , it's all about heat output , which depends on rate of fuel consumption.

From search...https://www.quora.com/How-much-energ...ndard-tea-ligh...
.... amazon tea candles claim 4-5 hours, so 152 watt hours / 4.5 hours or about 33.8 watts on average. It would take just over 42 tea candles to match the thermal output of a 1440 watt space heater

33.8W is not very much.

A tea candle gives out 152WHrs of heat .

If electricity costs 10p/KwHr in UK ....152WHrs costs 1.52p

So if you are paying more than 1.52p for each tea light, you are wasting your time... electric heating would be cheaper..

As for using cold pressed oil at 2pounds a liter ....

Wax in a tea light is about 20gms, about 50 tealights /kg ....cost 76p

So at 2pounds a liter for cold pressed oil, you are paying more than twice as much as heating by electricity , for the same heat!!!

Solar is worth looking at , if a wall of your flat receives sunlight , there are ways of getting that heat inside , I think there are videos on Youtube.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #53
cosmic tramp

...thanks for all the above comments, you know I can just FEEL all the Power Companies looking at this thread and thinking of ways to stop it/tax it/outlaw it...

Last edited by cosmic tramp; 07-11-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #54
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
I never suggested the the flame would be cooler with a refrigerated candle, but smaller with less heat output , it's all about heat output , which depends on rate of fuel consumption.

From search...https://www.quora.com/How-much-energ...ndard-tea-ligh...
.... amazon tea candles claim 4-5 hours, so 152 watt hours / 4.5 hours or about 33.8 watts on average. It would take just over 42 tea candles to match the thermal output of a 1440 watt space heater

33.8W is not very much.

A tea candle gives out 152WHrs of heat .

If electricity costs 10p/KwHr in UK ....152WHrs costs 1.52p

So if you are paying more than 1.52p for each tea light, you are wasting your time... electric heating would be cheaper..

As for using cold pressed oil at 2pounds a liter ....

Wax in a tea light is about 20gms, about 50 tealights /kg ....cost 76p

So at 2pounds a liter for cold pressed oil, you are paying more than twice as much as heating by electricity , for the same heat!!!

Solar is worth looking at , if a wall of your flat receives sunlight , there are ways of getting that heat inside , I think there are videos on Youtube.
Thanks for the calculation.
btw, the link is not working.
I was under the impression that each tealight gives 40w of heat.
Anyway, you can spend easily £2 on heating per day. You can buy 100 tealights from Wilko and that lasts about 2 weeks for me so that's £1 per week. So whatever the calculation, I still find alternatives cheaper especially if you obtain used oil from cafe and other outlets, the fuel cost will be zero and you only have to buy wicks or make one out of tissue which can be messier.

Last edited by elshaper; 07-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #55
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Many members are having to make a do with inflated dolls.... it would not be feasible.
It is not so wise to waste all that hot air blowing then up though
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #56
jupiter12

Quote:
Yeah! ,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by super glue View Post
It is not so wise to waste all that hot air blowing then up though
Let someone else blow it up for you! Then off home! ,,

It's amazin' what inflated dolls are used for now!
Old 21-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #57
elshaper
Inactive

How is your oil candle heater OP?
This morning my room was 14C, I lit a candle and it went down to 13C.
We've been lucky this autumn though. I think today is the first day I felt chill.

Cooking Lamb shanks in the slow cooker (cheap!) tonight. *YUM*

Last edited by elshaper; 21-11-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 21-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #58
cosmic tramp

I demonstrated the Flowerpot Candle Heater this week in front of six other trainers on a 20 minute micro teach session. They were all (from different backgrounds) awestruck by it and said they would be trying it out at home and for barbecues and camping. So word is getting out...

During their feedback they suggested floating the candles on water to give it a more novelty party appearance and decorating the bread tin and plant pots in oil paints as a decorative talking point...

I also added in the household top tip of dipping your match heads in hot candle wax beforehand which creates a water resistant membrane if you're out camping or barbecuing , stops your matches getting wet. Also placing tea light candles in your fridge freezer the night before increases their burning longevity.

Still undecided though as to how to create an effective "fire guard" for it if you've got small kids or pets in the vicinity.

Last edited by cosmic tramp; 21-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 21-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #59
elshaper
Inactive

Well done you for doing the micro teaching.

I'm not sure about making the candle last longer by putting in the freezer. A tealight only need a tiny amount of melted wax to keep the flame going at first. After a while, you get a pool of melted wax anyway so the rate of melted wax used will be the same regardless of whether you put them in a freezer beforehand. The other thing which makes it burn slower is pellets called Microcrystalline which is an additive to wax and makes the wax harder, higher melting point, hence it slows down the rate of wax melting. It's useful when making standalone candles, not so much use in tealight. A I said, you get a pool of wax after awhile anyway. Hope this helps.

ETA: We should all go out there and micro teach flower pot candle heater. Make sure you tell them that it was mentioned at one of the conspiracy... I mean truther forums.

Last edited by elshaper; 21-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 21-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #60
cosmic tramp

Quote:
Well done you for doing the micro teaching.

I'm not sure about making the candle last longer by putting in the freezer. A tealight only need a tiny amount of melted wax to keep the flame going at first. After a while, you get a pool of melted wax anyway so the rate of melted wax used will be the same regardless of whether you put them in a freezer beforehand. The other thing which makes it burn slower is pellets called Microcrystalline which is an additive to wax and makes the wax harder, higher melting point, hence it slows down the rate of wax melting. It's useful when making standalone candles, not so much use in tealight. A I said, you get a pool of wax after awhile anyway. Hope this helps.

ETA: We should all go out there and micro teach flower pot candle heater. Make sure you tell them that it was mentioned at one of the conspiracy... I mean truther forums.
It's been scientifically proven, the molecules of paraffin wax greatly contract at freezing point, causing increased density, hence longer burning. Also, scented candles add an aromatherapy aspect to the overall ambience, appealing to all the senses.

Theoretically, you could float the candles in Brandy or Pernod and get high on the fumes though this may also be a fire hazard.

Last edited by cosmic tramp; 21-11-2015 at 06:10 PM.