Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 20-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #21
torus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo_gnomon View Post

"Roadie's Boombox" -- plywood, car stereo, custom electronics

This unit has a 12v battery inside that will keep it running for about 5 hours at pretty good volume.
That's classic! Nice. You could have marketed those back in the day.
torus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torus View Post
That's classic! Nice. You could have marketed those back in the day.
Weights 65 pounds. I can carry it myself, but I recommend two person lift.

I don't see why I couldn't market a lighter weight and better engineered version today. Shitty boomboxes are out of fashion but small PA systems with ipod capability are a viable market niche.

I took it to Annual Training several years ago and everyone in my work group took turns plugging ipods and other mp3 players in to make the days go by. We also used it in PA mode a couple of times and it seriously filled the space. I also set up a dance floor for a street party one year in my neighborhood. Good music on good speakers makes a good party better, indoors or out.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #23
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Made my own kayak from a kit. here it is about 95% finished. I still have to put the inside bulkheads in, and i have carved out the hatches.
Very nice, motleyhoo. I'm not a boat kinda guy but always want to be when I see wooden boats of any kind. What kind of wood is it made with?
Old 20-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
the apprentice
Inactive

Nice hand work guys, keeps the old grey active. Here is my dream machine to have a go at one day, a wonderful old guy and a work of art, as all these RTE Hands video's portray.

the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
nongeekywebdude
Banned

I think there was a time not too long ago when the majority of people were capable of the sort of skills/craftsmanship we are seeing in this thread, today I would imagine less than 10% are capable, maybe a lot less.
looking at some of the stuff in this thread makes me feel totally useless!

Last edited by nongeekywebdude; 20-03-2013 at 10:46 AM.
nongeekywebdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongeekywebdude View Post
I think there was a time not too long ago when the majority of people were capable of the sort of skills/craftsmanship we are seeing in this thread, today I would imagine less than 10% are capable, maybe a lot less.
looking at some of the stuff in this thread makes me feel totally useless!
I admire your honesty and your intuition serves you well, this is the kind of student attitude I welcome here. There are those who can rectify if and when needed the drought of mind you invisage.

Here is another fine old guy, with skills.

If these guys passed on their skills then the world can at least be different, if not it is going to be a wanton world forever more, listen to what Ned says at the end, true wisdom at work.
Old 20-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
getagrip
Inactive

Talking I'm impressed !!

Some very talented people on here !!

I would like to make a contribution to the post but the only thing I have ever made is a Knitted tea cosy which was actually supposed to be a hat for my daughter but she refused point blank to even try it on and to be honest the tea pot don't seem too happy about the situation either !!
getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
Some very talented people on here !!

I would like to make a contribution to the post but the only thing I have ever made is a Knitted tea cosy which was actually supposed to be a hat for my daughter but she refused point blank to even try it on and to be honest the tea pot don't seem too happy about the situation either !!
Our youngest son did the same with a bobble hat we knitted, so when we were out on a crispy cold morning we took the hat along with us and he soon asked for it when his ears were stinging .

Got any pictures?
Old 20-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
getagrip
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by super glue View Post
Our youngest son did the same with a bobble hat we knitted, so when we were out on a crispy cold morning we took the hat along with us and he soon asked for it when his ears were stinging .

Got any pictures?
Haha !!, you seriously want me to post a picture of my teapots shame wearing a bobble hat along side all of these other fantastic posts?
not on your nelly !!!
getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
motleyhoo

Quote:
Very nice, motleyhoo. I'm not a boat kinda guy but always want to be when I see wooden boats of any kind. What kind of wood is it made with?
It's made out of African Mahogany. Prolly not an environmentally friendly thing to use now days, but I wasn't as conscious of such things back when I bought that kit.

The kit itself is really easy to put together, but tedious. You can finish one in about a month if you put an hour or two a day into it. I still haven't finished mine. I'm a chronic procrastinator. I'll work on solving that problem too, maybe tomorrow or the next.
"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
torus
Inactive

Quote:

I don't see why I couldn't market a lighter weight and better engineered version today. Shitty boomboxes are out of fashion but small PA systems with ipod capability are a viable market niche.
Definitely. Perhaps with some sort of guitar interface like "i rig". Dress it up a bit more with aluminum trim and corner brackets like a flight case.

Old 20-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
torus
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhoo View Post
Made my own kayak from a kit. here it is about 95% finished. I still have to put the inside bulkheads in, and i have carved out the hatches.

Here is also a guitar I built from a kit.

A kayak in the living room AND an electric guitar? You can't be married!
Old 20-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
the apprentice
Inactive

That's nothing, I have had car and bike engines in our front room when it was too cold to work outside, when thas in Yorkshire tha makes do
Old 21-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #34
motleyhoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by torus View Post
A kayak in the living room AND an electric guitar? You can't be married!
I am, and I never hear the end of it.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
ufochick

I make girl things LOL. Bake from scratch, sew clothes, make crocheted stuff, garden a bit and harvest seeds, do some canning, recover furniture etc etc.

Nothing like the amazing shoes on this thread! wow!!
Profiles, hosting for files, pics, videos, PMs, blogs, social walls and much more.
ufochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufochick View Post
I make girl things LOL. Bake from scratch, sew clothes, make crocheted stuff, garden a bit and harvest seeds, do some canning, recover furniture etc etc.

I can smell the winter stews from here, and don't forget the dumplings
Old 22-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #37
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufochick View Post

Making stuff, any stuff, is very undervalued in our current culture. How many people even know how to sew any more? In our parents' generation sewing was as necessary a skill as cooking, but today you see faux-hippies on the street with their puppy on a piece of string, and they're wearing fake patchwork clothing made in Thailand. I remember my mom making a patchwork quilt using Levi's pants that were beyond repair. The thing weighed a ton but it was serious warm. And it had pockets! And zippers! And buttons!

Please, post pix of baking, crocheting and gardening! Don't be intimidated by superglue's level of craftsmanship and apparently well-tooled shop! Post pix of canned goods! Show us your well-tended gardens! Here we are, scattered across 12 time zones -- let's come together as a community of Makers, not just consumers!

Last edited by apollo_gnomon; 22-03-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 22-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
ufochick

Quote:
Making stuff, any stuff, is very undervalued in our current culture. How many people even know how to sew any more? In our parents' generation sewing was as necessary a skill as cooking, but today you see faux-hippies on the street with their puppy on a piece of string, and they're wearing fake patchwork clothing made in Thailand. I remember my mom making a patchwork quilt using Levi's pants that were beyond repair. The thing weighed a ton but it was serious warm. And it had pockets! And zippers! And buttons!

Please, post pix of baking, crocheting and gardening! Don't be intimidated by superglue's level of craftsmanship and apparently well-tooled shop! Post pix of canned goods! Show us your well-tended gardens! Here we are, scattered across 12 time zones -- let's come together as a community of Makers, not just consumers!
Ok well here are a couple of things, I hand sew mostly but machine sewing is ok. This is a hand sewn wedding pillow I made, ALL hand stitched. I sell them. I start with a cutwork hanky, I can do cutwork but am too lazy LOL.

2 different pies completely from scratch and bread from scratch. This pic may have been from the breadmaker but it died awhile back so now I make it without.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 429.jpg (41.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg dennis phone 218.jpg (95.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 7-10-10 096.jpg (84.9 KB, 146 views)
Profiles, hosting for files, pics, videos, PMs, blogs, social walls and much more.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
the apprentice
Inactive

My mouth is watering right now, hips a bit wider and the mind memory tasting the apple pie. I love the cushion too.

As AG said, skills for those who have them is second nature, it's those who don't have them who also don't understand what it takes to bring such lovelies into being. The reaction you get from their expression is, how a freind once explained to us, It's that, Where, When, How, moment and facial expression.

In many ways it's not all their own fault, but those who really want to find out how to do things for themselves, will in the fullness of time find those with the knowledge, and then take the first steps towards a kind of independance of their own.

What the clever Trevor's in society have done, is to destroy the intuition of the individual, and brought in common purpouse models, which Gerrish has told us is, compartmentalise the smooth running of things, but not fully instigating/stealthily a, Doctors surgery setting and puting a football manager in charge of things s/he is not practiced upon.

This happens in such a way that there is new licence under the health and safety model/banner, to prevent anyone from doing many of the things a competent craftsman could do themselves, this model we have torn to shreds here over the years, first by aquiring the knowledge from those willing, then doing the job ourselves saving in some cases thousands.

As we travel into the brave new world in the making, we will do so at the beccon call of everyone wanting to control us, but not work themselves. We have reached a situation today where those doing the admin has reached saturation point in the developed world, and the elite have created a clever distribution model of cheap but false promise, where those admin are now being thinned out and at the same time their jobs, some life long and secure, and moved them too where the labour models of western models were a century ago.

We spotted this model really taking pace when all of a sudden our freinds had four times the assetts that their wages would realise on a weekly cash basis, and with a good grasp of history soon realised that it had all been done before.

World wars are basically a model of restraint upon a nation growing faster than the elite would like, by creating a scarcity of people and resorces/money, the wars do create wealth but not for those fighting them.

Back on track, the single best model for an alternative existance is locally, then regionally and finally globally. In times as we are about to witness, many people will automatically look for/adapt into the alternatives, and the older generations are the best place to gather advice and knowledge, but we are entering such times that the previous generation has limited knowledge also where the generation before had more and so on.

The corporations are now creating gatherings to collectively and creating groups, like the hippy with his puppy on a string and getting them to waste their energy on a plethora of new beliefs and getting nowhere, like running on a tread mill.
One such congregations is the "Transitions Towns Movement" under the guise of AGW, the idea is viable but the result still very little to show for the energy expended.

I have over the last ten years or so, offered my services to many such trusts, who are experts at gathering the corporations handout's, which are themselves disguised as Euro loans/funding etc, etc. Talking to one only yesterday who said they gather the funding and have to basically make a loss on most if not all subject matters/courses, and preventing them from really going for independance themselves.
Here is many of the very best venues in the country with properties and places of manufacture getting absolutely nowhere, thus preventing a realistic recovery model, and as soon as their following reaches a certain platue the funding invariably becomes harder to find or stops altogether.

Those with the skills in house today can try sharing them wherever possible, because there is still a huge level of tallent out there ,who only need to see the things being made and the tools/materials in their hands to realise their true worth to themselves.

The corporations know this is their policy/corporate killer and that better made products will cut off their cheap, fast, non lasting model required to keep them alive, and the general populous wanton of things, those that create the good gear will often strive to make them better next time, which creates a better model for both man and his enviornment.

I am studdying corporate type policies and law, and if enough of us start treating their model of basically "Indirect Violence" towards humanity and our "Immediate Enviornment" under this waste not want not banner, then a balance between the two could be established. These people are in the long term, far worse than the rest of creation and and should be treated with contempt accordingly.

And the way to do this partly/indirectly, is to Re-skill so as your not confronting the mass of their/our wealth in reality, Is to slowly but surely take back our planet using our own hands that do our own dishes, not theirs, this does mean we will all have to work a lot harder, but it will close down their plantation mentality once they realise we are not playing ball, or being their whip master against ourselves.

I don't kid myself that our own model of an alternative will entirely sort out the problems that are escalating, as we speak, but it's a start, our self pelf model has already spread across the globe and done much damage to their profits, so in a way my part is accomplished. We know they are watching, but don't really care either way, this is the fear which many here in such truth gatherings are afraid to do, through internal seeding of distrust. Those doing that job description never try to debate with any amount of true content like I have just shared with you all now, and are very easy to spot

Well worth the energy and banter folks, hope that helps

Last edited by the apprentice; 22-03-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 22-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #40
ufochick

We have reached this stage in our evolution where we are like tiny babies. If everything we need to live isn't shipped to us in some way ready made we cannot survive.
Food, water, shelter, clothing all are byond the skills of most people. Skills and knowledge have value but the average Joe sees no value in them.

Knowing how to fish, trap an animals, process the leather, find wild food and medicine, grow food, sew, make footware, build a house from natural materials, take care of and breed animals, all these things are lost to most people.

Most can't even cook a mean from basic ingredients or sew a shirt by hand. We really have become these helpless infants if the shit hits the fan many won't survive it.