Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 12-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
size_of_light

Default Brainstorm and Green Needle Teaches Tolerance of Opposing Views

Most people are probably familiar with this viral clip by now, right?

You can hear the toy say 'Brainstorm' or 'Green Needle' depending on what you're listening for.

I figure it's a good demonstration for why we should be tolerant of other peoples' views, since it shows how the same stimulus can produce totally different perceptions, and how it is possible to easily switch from one to another and appreciate the alternative viewpoint.

Pre-conditioning plays a massive role in how reality is perceived.

A brain surgeon or a meteorologist who hear the words 'brain' and 'storm' on a regular basis, are more likely to identify those words when the toy speaks, so 'Brainstorm' is the sound they hear.

A grocer or a heroin addict who hear the words 'green' and 'needle' on a regular basis, might be more likely to first hear 'Green Needle'.

The same principle of pre-conditioning can be extended back to our earliest experiences, and, if you believe in past lives, all the way back to beginningless time, to explain why it often seems that other people are complete fucking idiots when they don't see what is plainly evident to you and me.

Having said that, there's one other important thing to note about the Brainstorm/Green Needle example: the toy is actually saying 'Brainstorm'.

So while tolerance for different viewpoints makes sense, that doesn't mean that all conflicting perceptions of a phenomenon are equally true.

But if you can stand your ground on an issue you're convinced is right with an appreciation of the possibility that your perception, while perfectly valid to you, may be fundamentally wrong on a more objective level (and vice versa for opposing perceptions), then there will be less likelihood of animosity arising when interacting with other people on points of contention.

Last edited by size_of_light; 12-01-2019 at 10:54 PM.
size_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
supertzar

"Don't be bitching" or "It's only business"?

https://youtu.be/MUCYgGX1qR8?t=343
supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
supertzar

From the toy I hear "brain stone"...figures...

I think people who listen on phones will tend to hear it differently as in the laurel/yanny one.

Last edited by supertzar; 12-01-2019 at 11:23 PM.
supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
decim

If I look at the word 'Brainstorm' while listenting to the video I hear Brainstorm, or 'Green Needle' if looking at the words 'Green Needle'.
DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental. Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
decim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
size_of_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
From the toy I hear "brain stone"...figures...

I think people who listen on phones will tend to hear it differently as in the laurel/yanny one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decim View Post
If I look at the word 'Brainstorm' while listenting to the video I hear Brainstorm, or 'Green Needle' if looking at the words 'Green Needle'.
I've messed around with it a bit, and can now just think a second in advance of which word I want to hear, and I hear it. Then, back the clip up so I'm listening to the same segment and think the other word and I hear that instead.

You can alternate through the course of the video and choose whichever one you want to hear and it happens.

Here's an interesting experiment: Write out and memorise a short sequence you want to hear (e.g. Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Green Needle, Brainstorm, Green Needle) and play the clip just going on memory without looking at the written words.

See if memorising the sequence actually makes it play out in that order.

I guess this little toy is simply but powerfully demonstrating the reality of 'confirmation bias':

Quote:
In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias (or confirmatory bias) is a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions, leading to statistical errors.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/c...ation_bias.htm
'Green Needle' would be the 'statistical error' since it is an essentially false perception of the stimulus.

The same effect plays out in all areas of life, with politics being an obvious example.

It's why some people can't see the truth that Trump is awesome, despite being exposed to exactly the same behaviour I'm observing.

Last edited by size_of_light; 13-01-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
size_of_light

I'm thinking this is the visual equivalent of the Brainstorm/Green Needle thing, that explains how it works on the auditory level:

You can either see two black faces, or one white vase.

While this is a neutral illusion, if the white vase were really there, on a black background, and it was perceived this way, it would be 'Brainstorm' (the actual sound the toy makes), whereas perceiving two black faces on a white background, would be 'Green Needle' (a perfectly understandable, but mistaken view).

But there's no way of knowing which view is fundamentally correct based on the sense data alone (we only know 'Brainstorm' is the correct word because of extra information that it's a Ben 10 toy saying the name of one of the show's characters).

Where does truth go when we encounter a truly neutral and ambiguous stimulus in the real world, akin to the Rubin Vase image above?

Are both, or neither, or both both and neither, or neither both nor neither, perceptions true?

Last edited by size_of_light; 13-01-2019 at 10:05 PM.