Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

View Poll Results: Which martial art do you practice?
Boxing/Wrestling 9 8.11%
Aikido/Jiu-Jitsu/Judo 13 11.71%
Kung-fu/T'ai Chi/Ninjutsu 15 13.51%
Karate/Kenpo/Tae Kwon Do 25 22.52%
Kickboxing/Muay Thai 11 9.91%
Other (established style) 15 13.51%
Self-taught (no style, hybrid style or own style) 23 20.72%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb Martial Arts

Hi,

Do you practice a martial art, if so which one and how does it help you?

Is it, for you, about survival, self-improvement and confidence or just fun and good health? Or all of those things?

What is your favourite martial art, besides the discipline you practice?

If you don't practice a martial art, would you like to and if so which one?
zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero1 View Post
Hi,

Do you practice a martial art, if so which one and how does it help you?

Is it, for you, about survival, self-improvement and confidence or just fun and good health? Or all of those things?

What is your favourite martial art, besides the discipline you practice?

If you don't practice a martial art, would you like to and if so which one?

well it started off with Muay tia boxing and thia chi .

after a while i got board of set katta moves , or dojo as i understand it to be . a set form of movements .
so i branched off onto something completly different .

environmental awareness and phsycological and physical randomisation .

long words but not all that really .

lets start with the begining .

environmental awareness
this is a form of being aware of the environment and how to use it to maximum affect .
for instance , standing next to a table and getting attacked can produce so many opotunities .
for instance , one could just tip the table towards the attacker , then jump on it to have a maximum affect . the 1st step of tipping the table makes the attacker back off , following through takes an attacker by surprise .
standing in thin hallways doesnt always allow certain moves to be exicuted , so learning to kart wheel kick and moving side to side helps throw off attackers and dogge punches etc .
being aware of the environment is not enough .
you have to learn how to photo snap shot the environment , so that , versatile moves and agility combinations can be made with out having to look where you are going .
i practiced this with a freind once , it can hurt so like all things one learns slowly .
but it involved going out of the room whilst the freind moved furnisher . i would then open the door quickly and shut it . he would turn off the light whilst i put on a blind fold . then enter the room . it takes time and yes i nearly broke my shin , so i learned to do all kicks and turns slowly , thus also gaining balance as time went on .

phsycological and physical randomisation

big subject .
one has to learn howhow the masses think, not forgetting its not always a simple dude one comes across so never under estimate the other person , but ?
for instance , if you had a book in your hands and were attacked , try to get some distance for defence .
then toss the book at them and say catch .
most do so . lol , silly gits then attack at speed whilst they catch the book , or kick the other guys chops then tackle the book catcher . lol funny tactic .
sometimes running away round a corner and then doubling back on your self to time it just right as the person comes round the corner .
oooooooooooooooouchy ! by surprise in the gob with a football round house kick ,nice .

typical phsycological gorrilar tactics , ie hit and run , good tactics .
the randomisation is exactly that .
in karate one learns moves in set patterns .
learn how to destroy those patterns because people dont usually have a set combat style .
ie
every time you begin to practice , once you have done a set of moves , do them again but change the last move .
lets say youve praticed 5 moves to form a technique .
the next time you do them change the 5th one .
next time change the 4th but do the original 5th move.
next time do the moves again but change the 4th and 5th move and so on back to the 1st move being changed , then learn them left handed and then back to front .

all very interesting .
also
learn to fight in the dark .
this is done with a freind . wrist to wrist . by understanding body physics one can already understand how their body will be positioned whilst you do the move , this then allows you to preplan the next before the 1st move is completly exicuted .

stuff like that .
but

i havent done it now for 5 years .
i do soon plan to return back to this life style as i enjoyed it very much .
learning to ballance also has its benifits . i had noticed after 3 years of doing this thing i was very fit , thought differently and wasnt so afraid of other people , yet refused to show off or give it the large because

the real art of combat

is not to fight

even better is

not to be there .
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Thanks to Jay and Tracker who've polled so far, but guys - the idea was to post about your training and ideas too... (EDIT - Tracker just did! Cool...)

I might be jumping the gun, but I think a thread on martial arts should be a sticky for the Survival/Communities sub-forum.

NB # Also, viewers please not that Tae Kwon Do is a style of Karate for the sake of this poll, there are too many styles of Karate to list so - consider the popular Korean style of TKD a form of Karate for the purposes of this thread.

Cheers, hope I get a reply!

Last edited by zero1; 21-10-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 21-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
zero1
Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
well it started off with Muay tia boxing and thia chi .

after a while i got board of set katta moves , or dojo as i understand it to be . a set form of movements .
so i branched off onto something completly different .

environmental awareness and phsycological and physical randomisation .

long words but not all that really .

lets start with the begining .

environmental awareness
this is a form of being aware of the environment and how to use it to maximum affect .
for instance , standing next to a table and getting attacked can produce so many opotunities .
for instance , one could just tip the table towards the attacker , then jump on it to have a maximum affect . the 1st step of tipping the table makes the attacker back off , following through takes an attacker by surprise .
standing in thin hallways doesnt always allow certain moves to be exicuted , so learning to kart wheel kick and moving side to side helps throw off attackers and dogge punches etc .
being aware of the environment is not enough .
you have to learn how to photo snap shot the environment , so that , versatile moves and agility combinations can be made with out having to look where you are going .
i practiced this with a freind once , it can hurt so like all things one learns slowly .
but it involved going out of the room whilst the freind moved furnisher . i would then open the door quickly and shut it . he would turn off the light whilst i put on a blind fold . then enter the room . it takes time and yes i nearly broke my shin , so i learned to do all kicks and turns slowly , thus also gaining balance as time went on .

phsycological and physical randomisation

big subject .
one has to learn howhow the masses think, not forgetting its not always a simple dude one comes across so never under estimate the other person , but ?
for instance , if you had a book in your hands and were attacked , try to get some distance for defence .
then toss the book at them and say catch .
most do so . lol , silly gits then attack at speed whilst they catch the book , or kick the other guys chops then tackle the book catcher . lol funny tactic .
sometimes running away round a corner and then doubling back on your self to time it just right as the person comes round the corner .
oooooooooooooooouchy ! by surprise in the gob with a football round house kick ,nice .

typical phsycological gorrilar tactics , ie hit and run , good tactics .
the randomisation is exactly that .
in karate one learns moves in set patterns .
learn how to destroy those patterns because people dont usually have a set combat style .
ie
every time you begin to practice , once you have done a set of moves , do them again but change the last move .
lets say youve praticed 5 moves to form a technique .
the next time you do them change the 5th one .
next time change the 4th but do the original 5th move.
next time do the moves again but change the 4th and 5th move and so on back to the 1st move being changed , then learn them left handed and then back to front .

all very interesting .
also
learn to fight in the dark .
this is done with a freind . wrist to wrist . by understanding body physics one can already understand how their body will be positioned whilst you do the move , this then allows you to preplan the next before the 1st move is completly exicuted .

stuff like that .
but

i havent done it now for 5 years .
i do soon plan to return back to this life style as i enjoyed it very much .
learning to ballance also has its benifits . i had noticed after 3 years of doing this thing i was very fit , thought differently and wasnt so afraid of other people , yet refused to show off or give it the large because

the real art of combat

is not to fight

even better is

not to be there .
Excellent Tracker, thanks. What's your fitness regimen like?
Old 21-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
tracker

Quote:
Thanks to Jay and Tracker who've polled so far, but guys - the idea was to post about your training and ideas too... (EDIT - Tracker just did! Cool...)

I might be jumping the gun, but I think a thread on martial arts should be a sticky for the Survival/Communities sub-forum.

NB # Also, viewers please not that Tae Kwon Do is a style of Karate for the sake of this poll, there are too many styles of Karate to list so - consider the popular Korean style of TKD a form of Karate for the purposes of this thread.

Cheers, hope I get a reply!
will it help in the long run ?
healthy body aids a healthy mind and also proves invaluable when defending against would be attackers . i have only had to use it twice in 15 years .
but it stoped me being bottled from behind in a hall way and prevented me being stabbed by a kitchen knife weilding maniac .
i was in handcuffs too lol .stupid coppers cuffed me and let him run at me with the bloody knife and guess what ?
they did nothing .typical !

Last edited by tracker; 21-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 21-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
tracker

Quote:
Excellent Tracker, thanks. What's your fitness regimen like?
yes .

Last edited by tracker; 21-10-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 21-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
tracker

Quote:
yes .
it would be noce to hear other folks tactics and training on this matter .especially how it helped them progress both mentaly and physicly .
Old 21-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
zero1
Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote:
will it help in the long run ?
healthy body aids a healthy mind and also proves invaluable when defending against would be attackers . i have only had to use it twice in 15 years .
but it stoped me being bottled from behind in a hall way and prevented me being stabbed by a kitchen knife weilding maniac .
i was in handcuffs too lol .stupid coppers cuffed me and let him run at me with the bloody knife and guess what ?
they did nothing .typical !
It pays to be prepared though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker
Yes.
That's your fitness regimen..?
Old 21-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
tracker

Quote:
It pays to be prepared though.

That's your fitness regimen..?
not all of it , but im bumping the thread as it could be very interesting if folks enlightened us on what it did for them .
Old 21-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
checkmate
Inactive

J.K.D. as my signature alludes. It's very beneficial for self confidence, health, and redirecting negative build up of energy. and aggression.

Last edited by checkmate; 21-10-2008 at 04:54 PM.
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

I did some Wado-ryu Karate and Kickboxing in my mid teens, but found both very dissatisfactory and lost interest quickly - so I turned to teaching myself from intution, visualization and kata with a good fitness regimen. I got a lot done a lot faster - weeding out what worked for me and what didn't was a labourious but very enjoyable task. With T'ai Chi I was able to overcome the limitations of not having a training/sparring partner, and for clarification of technique I used a good book on Jiu-jitsu amongst other tools. As Bruce Lee said, it's all in the body - all the techniques of all the martial arts, they're all right there in your body somatically, and through simulation one can learn to evoke them to yeild a near limitless range of technique, which can be applied on many different levels. I love combat arts in general, men should pay more attention to learning how to fight, defend loved ones and take arms when necessary. IMO.
Old 21-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
lightgiver

I,this label,practise the art of fighting without fighting

lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
quetzalcoatl

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgiver View Post
I,this label,practise the art of fighting without fighting
Yes - This is the best system.
Old 23-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #14
zero1
Inactive

Exclamation Bumpity-Bump!

BUMP this, for the good of the community...
Old 23-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #15
checkmate
Inactive

Last edited by checkmate; 23-10-2008 at 03:02 AM.
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #16
tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
bruce lee was the best artist in the world .
he knew exactly the true idea of true martial art .

water flows , good stuff .
Old 24-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Old 24-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
zero1
Inactive

Arrow Shadow-man

Old 24-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
jonas parker

Kung-fu isn't worth a damn at 10 yards against a semi-automatic pistol or rifle. There's a few old sayings I'd like to share with you all:

"Don't ever bring a knife to a gunfight!"
This also applies to martial arts.

"If you're in a 'fair fight', you miscalculated!"
If you're in a fight, it's either your life (and/or the lives of your loved ones) or the bad guy's life. The criminals don't give a rat's ass about "fighting fair". They're out to rob, steal, hurt, rape, and/or kill you and yours. There's no special place in Heaven for victims that "fought fair"!

"It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six!"
I'd rather take my chances with a court and a jury of twelve of my peers than be carried to the cemetary by six of my friends.

While martial arts is great exercise and teaches personal discipline, in a SHTF world scenario I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Last edited by jonas parker; 24-10-2008 at 07:23 PM.
jonas parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
zero1
Inactive

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker View Post
Kung-fu isn't worth a damn at 10 yards against a semi-automatic pistol or rifle.
Hmm. I'm tempted to say -

1) Dodge the bullet
2) Catch the bullet
3) Deflect the bullet

...but "realistically", one could say that with good Kung-fu, as any other art that develops spatial and sensory awarenesses, the real skill is not allowing oneself to get in such as position in the first place (being 10-yards off a shooter)...disarming techniques go hand in hand with good movement and closing the distance with an attacker, after all. These are elementary to good fighting discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker
There's a few old sayings I'd like to share with you all:

"Don't ever bring a knife to a gunfight!"
This also applies to martial arts.

"If you're in a 'fair fight', you miscalculated!"
If you're in a fight, it's either your life (and/or the lives of your loved ones) or the bad guy's life. The criminals don't give a rat's ass about "fighting fair". They're out to rob, steal, hurt, rape, and/or kill you and yours. There's no special place in Heaven for victims that "fought fair"!

"It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six!"
I'd rather take my chances with a court and a jury of twelve of my peers than be carried to the cemetary by six of my friends.
Those are fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker
While martial arts is great exercise and teaches personal discipline, in a SHTF world scenario I wouldn't bet my life on it.
No-one's asking you to. Weapons training, including firearms, forms a part of most martial arts syllabi today anyway, isn't that so?

Last edited by zero1; 24-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.