Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 27-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
Aye there's a lot to be said for having em close.
Mine are both 160 miles away.
Saves on babysitting duties for sure but we do miss em.
What works well in that Montana redoubt is the extended families living and working together . That was good to see.
To be honest, it is something that I have not experienced. My family is close when things get bad, but until then we just get on with it.

I hope my generation and my next are closer
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
hagrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
I see your point now.

When the riots hit close to us, and remember that they were all over the place and not just in the big towns, we had a two pronged aproach here in case it reached our house (which it never did) , I so much wanted to help the town center when the yobbos struck at the co-op.
it never got down here, we are a law abiding lot in Devon i think someone on Facebook tried to start it up in Plymouth but it didnt happen.
hagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
tom bombadil

I work from Morden, London, and remember having to pass through Croydon on the tram..(this is not a 'I was in Viet-Narrrrrrm' type story ) and it had to pass Reeves Corner, a famous furniture store in Croydon, and we had to vacate the tram as it could not go through because the rails were to close to this immense fire that burned the place to the ground (I personaly think it was an insurance job). So, on the walk through, I had a special eye out for any trouble. There was none, but that is because it was getting light and the cops were making sure that the drones got into work I think.

I used my personal small tellyscope to check the way ahead was clear, Part of my EDC (ha) abit big to allways carry but it did work because I saw from affar that the road was clear but blocked to foot trafic. I carry it all the time now as it prooved itself. I saved the long walk from the East Croydon stop and got work to send me a black taxi

I am an advocate to the EDC (another thread, another time) as it helps.

That same tram, by the way, also brought vandals close into my area of love. And my EDC at that time included a nail through a club

Nelly
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
kittycorr

I know what you mean about the riots. I live in croydon and not far from offlicenses and a cleaning store, so for three days i could not sleep as I was scared they would come to my area and the shops would go up. I also totally agree that reeves corner was an insurance scam, it is too far from the high st. a few of my sons friends actually stayed outside the local shops guarding their territory and yet they all knew people who were involved with the looting, very odd.

anyway, regarding prepping, I am probably the chav that someone reffered to earlier, lol! I live in a housing association house with cheap rent, Im not currently working and I have absolutely no skills or savings that I could put towards prepping or moving to the middle of nowhere, which is my dream, just as soon as my son is old enough to be independant. There is no way my children would move to the countryside with me, but i do want to set something up for us. I also really want a boat, in case borders are being checked, but thats another story.

Anyway, I need to come up with a plan. I suppose as a last resort I could hook up with somelonely old american prepper, wonder if preppers have dating sites? lol! joking, btw.

I thinkI need tospend this year learning some relevant skills which might make me useful to a community, because no bloody idea where I would get the money for my own place, and clueless how to run a farm or bit of land anyway.

I can just feelsomething coming, and its going to be big. I dont care if people think Im nuts.
kittycorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #45
hagrid

your not nuts, your using your brains. do you have a store cupboard? start by buying just one or two extra tins each time you go shopping, and rotate,rotate,rotate--put the old tins in front, use them first and put the new tins(the ones you've just bought) at the back.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #46
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
your not nuts, your using your brains. do you have a store cupboard? start by buying just one or two extra tins each time you go shopping, and rotate,rotate,rotate--put the old tins in front, use them first and put the new tins(the ones you've just bought) at the back.
+1

Hullo newbe kitticorr!

The reason I think that it was a scam is simple. Most if not all furniture today is fire retarded. In other words it smolders rather than 'flame'. Also, along with the other big store to go in St. Johns road in Clapham junction, it was one of two that have to have a sprinkler system. Are they saying it was turned off? If so then tough titty cos that means that you won't get your insurance flame. Now, granted there are many ways to start a fire and both of those places had a large frontage to break and fan the flames, but it was decided to not take the fire engines in to put them out. It reminds me of another insurance scam from 2001 when they decided to 'pull' the fire crews out and let it burn this is just on a smaller scale.

About your kids, I am not here to tell you how to treat your sprogs...but . I would show them where their bread is buttered today, rather than later. I will explain why (just my view so don't take offence)

You, as you are, run the risk in the future of having to pay for an unoccupied bedroom. This new tax is there to split up the nation. In this way...As the kids leave, one by one, you will either pay the bedroom tax or be moved to a smaller place. Each time this happens, you are then further and further away from your kids and your family. This means that a split culture is attained. And this means as you get older your kids will find it hard to either house you or look after you in later years, or find it hard to visit you when you and hubby are shipped off to an old folks farm.

In real terms you all become reliant on the state for food, medication, housing, sanitation etc etc etc.

I am not saying that you will never do well for yourself, but I am saying that now, right now, is when you tell your kids what you want and thats final. It makes it simpler later.

Nelly.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #47
kittycorr

Thanks, really good advice about stocking up gradually.

Actually Im going to be affected by the bedroom tax from next month on. my daughter now has her own place five minutes from me, she just turned 19, im 37, we were born on same day march third! my son will be 17 this june. basically, they want to stay in a city and Im desperate to move out or even go back to Ireland. when they are almost adults its so hard to persuade them that you are right. Im divorced so there is no husband to back me up. I wish I had had someone like you give me this advice years ago, I really do.

still, better late than never!

You know the explaination you gave for the bedroom tax has just made sense of it for me. they arent saving any money. my rent is so cheap even a one bedroom private place would cost more. I wondered what they were up to....now its very clear. fuckers.

someone called tracker on here put some amazing posts up with links, its a lot to read and digest but really great advice. But for now i will start with what i have, as suggested, its going to make me feel a whole lot better than sitting on my arse and doing sod all anyway!

does anyone know any good books relevant to all this?
kittycorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #48
tom bombadil

To be honest, save your money and visit you tube. Don't stop at one or two, look until you hate the subject. I have a good book that I love but it might not jell with you.

Its easy to say that you don't need books but I have learned tons from u tube and it all stuck. I find that I do return to the book from time to time, but I then confirm on you tube and bloggs.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
dawnuk

also, ive had a "duck duck go" {dont use google unless you have to **about and there are one or two reasonable preppers sites based in the UK...
dawnuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #50
brighteyes

Hi KittyCorr

Love your 'Preppers Dating Site' idea. LMAO!

Like Tom Bombadil says, stocking up slowly is a good idea.
I've been doing it for a while.

Not sure of your housing situation but you can grow stuff even in small spaces ( I have a typical Northern terrace backyard. I'm going to a local course in the morning on 'How to Grow Food In Small Spaces'. We also have a few community gardens round here and the local parks run Forage For Food walks. All for free.

You could check out your local area and see if there's anything similar. If anything you'll gain some useful skills, get fit and possibly meet like minded people (so you may not need that preppers dating site after all).
brighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #51
hovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
Guess we'll be the ones 'muddling along best we can' then.
Not quite a 'potless dreamer' and not 'posting from a council flat' just doing our best to be proactive on already limited funds and resources. We'll keep our heads down and our wits about us. It's all we can do if the worst comes to the worst. No alternative really.
"Heads down and wits about us" is also my long considered approach, eat cold canned food for the first couple of months, the smell of cooking would attract unwanted attention.
I live in a suburb where the chimney pots outnumber the capacity of Old Trafford so surviving in a populated area would mean no contact with the outside world for a time just a visit to the latrine during darkness.
I may sound uncaring for fellow man, over years I have tried to educate friends and distant relatives to the predicament we would find ourselves in if the supermarket shelves emtied overnight and asked how long can you and your family last, the usual reply is help will come along.
hovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #52
grandmasterp
Banned

We moved out of Lancashire.
Some sustainable places up round Silverdale but out of our price range and the moors where we were ( Bacup-Tod Rd) aren't good for growing.
Last straw was when ex Methodist chapel on drive in to work became a mosque.
Nothing against moslems or anyone but prefer to be amongst ( not very many) of our own WTSHTF.
Quieter down here and an overcoat warmer and drier.
Our daffs are all out, my lad in Chorley won't see daffs for three weeks or more yet.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #53
postmanjimjim

Wow KittyCorr and Tom Bombadil your both close to me i live in mitham. Small word.

As Tom Bombadil says, stocking up slowly is a good idea.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #54
tom bombadil

Oi! Do you mean Mitcham? I used to live in the Norbury, and then Mitcham areas. Slowly moving from my roots in Brixton (I remember the footbridge) to make my way out eventualy to Kent. Now I am gonna do a dogleg to Wales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmanjimjim View Post
Wow KittyCorr and Tom Bombadil your both close to me i live in mitham. Small word.

As Tom Bombadil says, stocking up slowly is a good idea.
Ahhh! Fame at last But in this instance hagrid was the instigator in this thread, but I do agree that 'copy-canning' as it's called in the US is an easy way to get everything you need over time. It has the advantages of being the obvious choice too for stocking up on the most important time period in any (read 'most') events, and that is the first month (some do two weeks, others might say three months). After that one might dwell on the 'bulk' stuff like rice, pasta, pulses etc in large bags... then etc etc.

I was/am in the proccesses of trying to make a guide for everyone that is geared for those with little or no cash. And i was engaged with a member here to help it flow (sorry you-know-who). It went stagnant for a short time cos I have been ill, others in my clan have had variuos issues and generaly it has sat in a word doc for too long and I can work on it again. I am trying to make it an easy to read (possible sticky) that can be returned to by all.

The notion is to include all that might be needed for someone on the likes of JSA (Job Seekers Alowence) or the same sort of income to be able to live self reliantley in even a flat without a balcony. It aint easy as it needs for the reader to be able to say to themselves that 'I am just going to do it'.

Anyway, onwarrrrrrrrd!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #55
hagrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnuk View Post
there are one or two reasonable preppers sites based in the UK...
there is only one decent prepper site in the UK, the other two dont like talk of any pointy instruments!!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
grandmasterp
Banned

Quote:
Oi! Do you mean Mitcham? I used to live in the Norbury, and then Mitcham areas. Slowly moving from my roots in Brixton (I remember the footbridge) to make my way out eventualy to Kent. Now I am gonna do a dogleg to Wales!

Ahhh! Fame at last But in this instance hagrid was the instigator in this thread, but I do agree that 'copy-canning' as it's called in the US is an easy way to get everything you need over time. It has the advantages of being the obvious choice too for stocking up on the most important time period in any (read 'most') events, and that is the first month (some do two weeks, others might say three months). After that one might dwell on the 'bulk' stuff like rice, pasta, pulses etc in large bags... then etc etc.

I was/am in the proccesses of trying to make a guide for everyone that is geared for those with little or no cash. And i was engaged with a member here to help it flow (sorry you-know-who). It went stagnant for a short time cos I have been ill, others in my clan have had variuos issues and generaly it has sat in a word doc for too long and I can work on it again. I am trying to make it an easy to read (possible sticky) that can be returned to by all.

The notion is to include all that might be needed for someone on the likes of JSA (Job Seekers Alowence) or the same sort of income to be able to live self reliantley in even a flat without a balcony. It aint easy as it needs for the reader to be able to say to themselves that 'I am just going to do it'.

Anyway, onwarrrrrrrrd!
We lived off Streatham Hill , kids were born in Kings College hospital and Bonne Marche in Brixton was our local department store with electric avenue and the covered market for food shopping.
John Major was a councillor on Lambeth council when we lived in the Borough. There's a Brixton lad who did well for himself.
No supermarkets back then.
Happy days.

Last edited by grandmasterp; 10-03-2013 at 12:17 PM.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #57
tom bombadil

Not wishing to change the thread here, but I will anyway I remember getting my mum to buy me the cardboard star wars Death Star from Bonne Marche. I think its gone now and the last time I was down Brixton way was for a bag of chips with my late dad on one of his jaunts there (he lived there to) from his new place on Sheppy.

I remember buying the last (I looked everywhere else) Action Man in London from that small toy shop oppsite the Woolworths.

Memories...

Isnt it odd how we do things so differently today. Even then I was a 'saver' and hence a prepper of sorts I suppose.

no more for me here...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #58
hagrid

Cor TOM, talk about going "off thread"!...............
Old 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
dawnuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagrid View Post
there is only one decent prepper site in the UK, the other two dont like talk of any pointy instruments!!
just checking this forum name, cos i thought i had wandered onto the ann summers forum by mistake...(re instuments)...

indeed....

which one do you recommend?

im not a member of any....cept this...
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #60
dawnuk

Quote:
Isnt it odd how we do things so differently today. Even then I was a 'saver' and hence a prepper of sorts I suppose.

no more for me here...

prepping has always been top priority in my family.......dad is an avid prepper...he never throws awt away and even lambasted my mother for throwing his platform shoes out a few years back, saying they will probably come back into fashion...can you imagine a 72 yrs old bloke in 1070's platforms?...no neither can i, nor would i want to even think about it!

lol