Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 30-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #21
kblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by times7 View Post
yeah a great idea,advertise how well of you are,a great idea in a famine,not

When the financial system falls apart and people are starving,people will have no electricity,their children are hungry,such people will be desperate and VIOLENT

I bet the smart ass with their house lit up with solar electricity running of a car battery,will get a bit of attention from the "mob"

keep a lower profile
They can be made quite discreet, but wasnt the idea to in fact avoid doing all this near the mobs of people in the first place?
kblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #22
starwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Thanks for those links starwalker. The problem is that the UK where I live seems to be way behind the rest of the world when it comes to solar power and free energy and they charge a fortune here for just a basic panel comarped to say the US and elsewhere.
Yeah, it is expensive here to! Sadly...
And ineffective as well. I am sure there are already better
tech in use, but it is still top secret, and may remain so.

But I still will do my level best to buy/build a decent set-
up in the coming years.
starwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:04 AM   #23
times7

Solar panels are over priced junk,you would be ok to light up a light bulb with solar tech but not be able to fry a steak.

Its True, it takes a lot more power to boil a kettle than light up a light bulb.

Bottled gas and candles are a much wiser investment,think about it ?

When electricity goes down, people run around loooking for candles,in the future, candles will be Gold dust,history really does repeat its self, even in the modern age of 2008.
times7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #24
steevo
Inactive

Quote:
yeah a great idea,advertise how well of you are,a great idea in a famine,not

When the financial system falls apart and people are starving,people will have no electricity,their children are hungry,such people will be desperate and VIOLENT

I bet the smart ass with their house lit up with solar electricity running of a car battery,will get a bit of attention from the "mob"

keep a lower profile
NOW I get what you are on about Dont worry I'm more street wise than what you think, I wont be advertising my wares.

Quote:
Solar panels are over priced junk,you would be ok to light up a light bulb with solar tech but not be able to fry a steak.

Its True, it takes a lot more power to boil a kettle than light up a light bulb.

Bottled gas and candles are a much wiser investment,think about it ?

When electricity goes down, people run around loooking for candles,in the future, candles will be Gold dust,history really does repeat its self, even in the modern age of 2008.
Yep candles will be like gold dust and so will solar panels and batteries. We need to stock up in all of these. As for gas, yes that is a good idea I have some of that too but it will run out relatively quickly just like the candles. So solar is a very good option IMO.
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
cruise4

What an odd thread...

Of course you should grab a cheap Solar charger and maybe a small windmill too if you want to cover all bases.

The only time I've ever blown a battery top off was using an arc welder to charge it in about 3 mins and I pulled the wrong lead off first. You should be OK on trickle charging which is what you are suggesting.

You can use the car battery to recharge normal batteries believe it or not. And also when low bang the sides in (AA type etc) with a hammer and get hours more out of them. Obviously don't do this with rechargeables which should be NiMh (memory effect types).

Some of the comments on this thread are too funny. Why would he want to buy a second hand car??? He wants emergency power not a £20,000 house conversion kit.

You can get a solar charger to do the job for as little as £20, £100 odd for an amorphous 15W. Those power packs with charging leads incorporated are a good bet too because they have a power outlet for radios etc. built in and can be charged off the mains if power is intermittent and can start a dead car + emergency torch + power meter. Mine cost £24.

Anyone got any experience with those roll up type panels for mobiles etc.
Got any thoughts on Deaf Aid batteries, or for your car keys etc.

Last edited by cruise4; 30-01-2008 at 01:32 PM.
cruise4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #26
steevo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise4 View Post
What an odd thread...

Of course you should grab a cheap Solar charger and maybe a small windmill too if you want to cover all bases.

The only time I've ever blown a battery top off was using an arc welder to charge it in about 3 mins and I pulled the wrong lead off first. You should be OK on trickle charging which is what you are suggesting.

You can use the car battery to recharge normal batteries believe it or not. And also when low bang the sides in (AA type etc) with a hammer and get hours more out of them. Obviously don't do this with rechargeables which should be NiMh (memory effect types).

Some of the comments on this thread are too funny. Why would he want to buy a second hand car??? He wants emergency power not a £20,000 house conversion kit.

You can get a solar charger to do the job for as little as £20, £100 odd for an amorphous 15W. Those power packs with charging leads incorporated are a good bet too because they have a power outlet for radios etc. built in and can be charged off the mains if power is intermittent and can start a dead car + emergency torch + power meter. Mine cost £24.

Got any thoughts on Deaf Aid batteries, or for your car keys etc.
That power pack thing sounds better than a car battery. Is this the sort of thing you mean when you refer to power packs ? :-

About recharging normal AA batteries, is that really true ? I imagine it can be dangerous but worth a go. I am currently seeing if I can find someone demonstrating it on youtube

I wish I could get a wind turbine but the local council wont allow stuff like that for sort of obvious reasons . I once saw a excellent video on YouTube of a bloke in England somewhere who had got his house all set up with a wind turbine with loads of car batteries in his shed, I cant find that video anymore but will look again one of these days so I can share it on here.

What sort of batteries do they use in deaf aids ?
Old 30-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
morphix
Inactive

Quote:
No personal experience but in one of the links i posted u can follow other links to a review about this being done, don't have time to dig around myself for it atm but another one I found really interesting was the solar water heater.
morphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #28
homebrew1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Thanks for those links starwalker. The problem is that the UK where I live seems to be way behind the rest of the world when it comes to solar power and free energy and they charge a fortune here for just a basic panel compared to say the US and elsewhere.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...solar&doy=30m1 was in a sale not so long back for £40 so maybe it will be again soon. And if you want to charge your mobile phone try http://www.greenthinking.eu/product.aspx?productid=11

Don`t forget if you get a panel you`ll also need an inverter, 300w at the very least (for keeping your fridge and freezer going) but get whatever you can afford. For charging batteries Maplin sell solar chargers for them which do work (my wireless keyboard and mouse cost nothing to run ever ), look in the sales catalogue on their website but for AA batteries I`d suggest www.7dayshop.com as they`re much cheaper, I`ve had 4x2700mAh of their batteries in my camera and taken over 400 pics in a day (till the memory card was full) and there was still plenty of juice left in them

And if you or anyone else is worried about power cuts think of investing in a wind-up LED torch (£2.50 from Asda) or a wind-up 12 LED lantern (paid £6 for mine )
homebrew1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #29
steevo
Inactive

Quote:
Sorry no experience either in that but I bought an emergency charger for the Pound Shop :-

It means I can charge my phone up with 3AAA batteries and I probably could "recharge" the AAA batteries too in the way you described, by using my solar panel

One thing that I WOULD point out regarling solar panels to charge your phone is that with MY mobile phone, it is REALLY annoying because I tried to charge it up with my small solar panel but it didnt work because the phone eluminates during charging (and there is no option to switch it off) which means that the trickle charge is insuffient to power it during a recharge. So just sheck your phone is not like mine before assuming that you can charge it up. There may be a way of blocking one of the battery connections wuth a piece of paper or something and I might be able to get around it but havent tried yet.
Old 30-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #30
homebrew1973

PS this country should be totally self-sufficient in gas. Not from the North Sea but from all those mountains of shit we get from politicians
Old 30-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #31
steevo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew1973 View Post
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...solar&doy=30m1 was in a sale not so long back for £40 so maybe it will be again soon. And if you want to charge your mobile phone try http://www.greenthinking.eu/product.aspx?productid=11

Don`t forget if you get a panel you`ll also need an inverter, 300w at the very least (for keeping your fridge and freezer going) but get whatever you can afford. For charging batteries Maplin sell solar chargers for them which do work (my wireless keyboard and mouse cost nothing to run ever ), look in the sales catalogue on their website but for AA batteries I`d suggest www.7dayshop.com as they`re much cheaper, I`ve had 4x2700mAh of their batteries in my camera and taken over 400 pics in a day (till the memory card was full) and there was still plenty of juice left in them

And if you or anyone else is worried about power cuts think of investing in a wind-up LED torch (£2.50 from Asda) or a wind-up 12 LED lantern (paid £6 for mine )
That maplin Solar Panel was one that I was thinking about getting but I will wait for the sale and see what happens cos £40 is very cheap BUT I need to double check to make sure it's one of those more efficient ones.

That charger for the mobile phone seems good and I've seen those before but unfortunately, like I say, solar panels wont work on my mobile.

Thanks for the info homebrew. Where did you get your lantern from BTW ?
Old 30-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #32
homebrew1973

From a "Pound Empire" shop in Manchester city centre only yesterday, no idea if there`s one your way. It`s this one: http://www.iosss.com/shopping/review...FQ66PAodEzC6QQ but I paid £6 for mine
Old 30-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #33
cruise4

You can get quite small windmills for caravans etc. I didn't mean a great big one. You see them on boats/canal boats quite a lot.

Am I correct in thinking there's something you can put in your shoe or a pair of shoes with a charger built in?

Monkey and a bike?

There's also steppa-power (or something like that) that takes like 5 mins + stepping but can produce a lot more power.

Turned into a comprehensive thread.

Last edited by cruise4; 30-01-2008 at 06:25 PM.
cruise4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #34
morphix
Inactive

Quote:
There's also steppa-power (or something like that) that takes like 5 mins + stepping but can produce a lot more power.
Not seen this but I'd guess it would work something similar to an old Dynamo like the old bike lights used to use.

Will be looking into it though
Old 30-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #35
howie

The Pedal Power Generator can produce 110v 425w output

Wind-up torches, radios & phone chargers

Water powered clocks & calculators

A watch using thermal power from body heat

Pedal powered bike lights

Strawbale Eco-house

Eco Media Player the wind-up version of the video i-pod
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #36
revolutionary_jam

apparently you can save a lot of money if you solar up or even make some selling the energy back to the grid

Thinking of what one does not have, manifests it self in the perpetuation of not having.

If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got. Go the other way.
revolutionary_jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #37
kblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
The Pedal Power Generator can produce 110v 425w output

Wind-up torches, radios & phone chargers

Water powered clocks & calculators

A watch using thermal power from body heat

Pedal powered bike lights

Strawbale Eco-house

Eco Media Player the wind-up version of the video i-pod
Nice list Yea, those watches was quite hyped in New York when I was there. They were sold almost anywhere, and powered by the warmth of your wrist, or maybe your movement. Quite fancy.
kblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
majicdragon
Inactive

there are those things you can plug into your cigarette lighter that convert 12 volts into 120... Or are your appliances 240?

Shouldn't matter... then you could just plug in your battery charger. You could also get a generator hooked to a bicycle crank.

Would be nice to have a solar cell jacket. That way, you could run through the bush and find sun when you need to use your gps (if the gps system will still work)
majicdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #39
morphix
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionary_jam View Post
apparently you can save a lot of money if you solar up or even make some selling the energy back to the grid
Caught something about this on the news in the UK a couple of days ago, some guy saying there was different rates from certain suppliers and to shop around for the best deal, not sure if it was using the wind farm type windmills or what though only caught the end of the programe.

Been thinking about getting a new Ipod, might check out those Eco media players though, i supose every little helps
Old 31-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #40
revolutionary_jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphix View Post
Caught something about this on the news in the UK a couple of days ago, some guy saying there was different rates from certain suppliers and to shop around for the best deal, not sure if it was using the wind farm type windmills or what though only caught the end of the programe.

Been thinking about getting a new Ipod, might check out those Eco media players though, i supose every little helps
as far as ive heard wind turbines re uneconomic and unreliable for home use, but solar can be good

oooooh look:

Quote:
Solar Panels create no greenhouse gasses, saving approximately 325kg of carbon dioxide emissions per year. Solar Photovoltaic installations should always be carried out by a trained and experienced installer.

Get Solar: http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/

Find out about grants for soular energy here: http://www.est.org.uk/

Learn more about creating your own energy here: http://www.nef.org.uk/greenenergy/index.htm.

excuse the carbon dioxide bit

Thinking of what one does not have, manifests it self in the perpetuation of not having.

If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got. Go the other way.

Last edited by revolutionary_jam; 31-01-2008 at 12:29 AM.
revolutionary_jam is offline   Reply With Quote