Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 14-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
tom bombadil

I have allways been a bit mental
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #42
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed7628 View Post
I am looking for advice of high calorie count but cheap and storable canned or dried foods, I am looking to put away 1 years supply, also can bleach in small quantities used to purify water to sterilize water in an emergency.

Links and info would be most useful

I am working on a budget, I understand the more money I had to spend the better but I don't have loads of cash to throw around.
If you wish to stay around, then you dont need a high calorie intake. Unless you wish to grow your own, and for that find a gardning or allotment book and read those and start now. Not tommorrow. Ot u-tube it.

Canned food for a year is way too expensive. Canned foods are full of salt and sugars. Learn to cook an Indian and Medditerainean diet. More books. Light foods and greens a-plenty. Or u-tube it.

Try not to bleach. Rather strain and boil. Long term bleach is nasty on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoured_amazon View Post
Okay, the thing that SUCKS is my family won't prepare, for various reasons. But how am I an instrument of YHWH if I don't share with others? But I can't financially afford to set aside provision for several people, nevermind my extended family. So, as much as I know I ought to prepare, I don't see any point, because having enough is like Sisyphus getting his rock to stay at the top of the hill.

So I'm no better off than someone who didn't know to prepare!
How many in your household (dont answer). You must have a space of your own! Do you live at home with them (dont answer) ? Or is it that you just dont want them perrishing in the road (oo, that sounds nasty ). The thing to remember is that the shit hitting the fan can come in myriad ways. If you were selfish (nothing wrong in that) and got for yourself alone, so what if the world blows up. If you survive then you have food a-plenty. But its most likely just gonna fade out and die (the socicity). You would be the only one in your street with food of their own and when the soup truck comes, you will too go out and get some. Your stock will dwindle and you are there with all the rest.

Or you get out of dodge, invite like-minded folk along to spread the burden and be dammed any that dont come with you. That sound harsh, but its time to grow up (not just at you armoured amazon ) and do what you want to do.

Its a choice. Just do it. Or do it with them with education. Of buy for them too.

In the end, how much cash can you spare?

Nelly.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #43
andyh
Banned

Even storage space would be an issue if there's to be canned food for a whole family for several months, let alone the cost
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #44
standuptothisshit

So... why are we stressing about imminent food crisis? Not wishing to sound ignorant.

"Be open-minded. Be extremely open-minded. But don't be too open-minded. Your brains will fall out."

Nobody's smart but ME!
standuptothisshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #45
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Even storage space would be an issue if there's to be canned food for a whole family for several months, let alone the cost
Not wrong there. However.....I have a larder at home. It is just an ordinary thing. It was put there by me when I turned the side space into a bedroom for my eldest. The larder is six wide by 10 long with a door (eventualy) and has a north facing window. The shelves suround the walls and are 12 inches deep and go up to the normal 8ft cieling. There is space for a work top and under that we have a second oven (we make cakes too) and a freezer. Normal.

Most times it has on average 1-1.5 months supplies of normal tinned, bagged, and boxed foods that see us through the weeks. We run low on stuff at times, like the kids opening too many peanut butters at a time or the pastor sauces, but it is all topped up before the half month is gone. So you could say we have a 1 month storeage of normal foods. Water is not included in this. Most other folk might do the same but with their kitchen cupboards. I use mine for everyday crap.

Now what you said above is true, but my selves are never choc-o-block. On a simple level, if I had pastor shells and sauce with corned beef, and a cerial for breaky, then the space is not much. Think of 30 tins of beef, a medium sized box of pastor, spaggetti takes up even less space. And thirty jars of sauce. The whole thing will take up around three cubic feet. The cerial will take up another cubic foot. If I added vit pills and a few spices for variation then I could survive on that with my family for a month. But BORING and expensive. Most of us have other junk and variations on a theme. We have rice, sauces, flavourings, stock cubes, jams, cooking wines or vinigars, odd tins of fruit. etc etc. Plus the crap in the fridge and freezer.

If we only store what and how we eat now then all well and good. Space is not a prerequisite and we could all do at least a few months if we purchased an extra 10-15% each shopping trip.

The thing about 'prepping' for the future is savings made and variety on offer. All most are doing is making sure I buy a big bag of rice and making sure that if it sees us through a winter of normal use then it can stay fresh. You would not open a huge tin of corned beef (1kg) and expect it to stay good, even in the fridge under normal use. So the prepper learns about dividing their stores into portioned sizes and preparing the foods for longer term storage. In simple terms this means, you buy a 40kg bag of rice. You divide the rice into 1month containers and seal them by extracting the air placing a firm seal at the mouth and then making it pest proof. Simple. You end up with four or more containers that will see you through the months. You buy dried beans and other types and learn how to cook those. Its a piece of cake by the way. The same in tins would cast the earth. You then seal these into managable portions. Nad it goes on.

You learn why you like that particular sauce and get a book or google it and learn how to prep it yourself. When you get the ingrediances you have a ton of powders and spices to do other things. You then learn that those spices from scharwtz for £1.30 for 15g are too expensive and you soon buy the 'CHEF' range instead, for £2.00 for 190g. You just learn how to deal with the storeage.

You learn as you go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by standuptothisshit View Post
So... why are we stressing about imminent food crisis? Not wishing to sound ignorant.
Not stressing, reasuring Its all just a means to an end. A style of living or a way of life for some.

Nelly.
Old 15-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #46
armoured_amazon

I had a bit of an argument about this yesterday - not so much an argument, but I did tell my mum and brother it's a bit unfair on me if they're not going to set some food aside, 'cause if the worst should happen, I would have to support my family with the small amount of food I have.
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #47
tracker

Quote:
I had a bit of an argument about this yesterday - not so much an argument, but I did tell my mum and brother it's a bit unfair on me if they're not going to set some food aside, 'cause if the worst should happen, I would have to support my family with the small amount of food I have.
NO !

you MUST learn , that you can NOT keep propping up folks when they refuse to listen .

They will never learn

do you know why ?

coz guess what ? they dont have too , good old AA will come to their rescue even if they do schoose to be selfish right now and refuse to add to a few tiny contributions just in case.

They dont have to experience the future hard times , thats why they can live it up now , because your sacrificing your stuff to save their asses .

do they do anything for you ?

if not

it might be time for you to allow them to suffer just for a tiny bit , so that they learn .

your heart is a strong one AA , a good one , but thats why they take the mick , because they can.

Last edited by tracker; 15-06-2010 at 12:48 PM.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #48
armoured_amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
NO !

you MUST learn , that you can NOT keep propping up folks when they refuse to listen .

They will never learn

do you know why ?

coz guess what ? they dont have too , good old AA will come to their rescue even if they do schoose to be selfish right now and refuse to add to a few tiny contributions just in case.

They dont have to experience the future hard times , thats why they can live it up now , because your sacrificing your stuff to save their asses .

do they do anything for you ?

if not

it might be time for you to allow them to suffer just for a tiny bit , so that they learn .

your heart is a strong one AA , a good one , but thats why they take the mick , because they can.

Oh gosh, I know what you're saying; in fact, that's pretty much what I said to them. But I'd feel bad having something and knowing family were going without, and I know I'll end up sharing it out. LOL sometimes I think of offering my spare room to the homeless guy who sleeps rough down at the local shopping and pub area, but I don't (in case he steals my shiz). But I always feel bad leaving him there; when I've done gigs there he always carries something in for me and I drive him to the shelter when he has enough to stay. He's a decent guy, and he's awake to much of the stuff we discuss here. But it would probably be silly to put temptation in his way (i.e. stuff he could sell).

Last edited by armoured_amazon; 15-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 18-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #49
ange247lheart
Banned

Default stocking foods...

I have been growing my own veg so that I can preserve every thing in bottles and containers . I will all so be using the drying method for things like spinach - herbs - fruit -tomato .. Drying helps with weight and storage.
ange247lheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #50
pri01

Plumpy nuts seem to be helping some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy'nut
pri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #51
_underscore_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I would 1st start off by watching what is going on by keeping up with the news .
If things started getting bad , real bad , I would gather all my clutter , old records , CDs , SOME old books ( not all of them coz I like many of them ) things like telescopes , working solar systems , even some old tools I dont use and sell them all at a boot fare to gather as much money as possible before no one could afford buying stuff .

Apart from stocking up on food , seeds and equipment , most of which I already have , but only a bout a months worth , I would start to truly get into the foraging side of food for free .
I would also start planting the odd veg in the country side away from public tracks because most folk ( although not all people ) wouldn't know the difference between a damson tree and a conifer tree especially if its in the woods surrounded by other trees far from the paths .
I would also ( depending on how bad the situation got ) start looking for food kitchens and food hand outs , to make my own stocks last longer .

Dont forget fuel folks , get those Gerry cans filled up . I have two but none have fuel in them yet .

One step at a time I suppose .

If things get real bad then you're already too late, nobody's gonna buy that shit (not that your shit is just shit). It's pretty bad now (in the US), and it's a pain in the ass to sell anything. There are too many people already that have no job and are trying to sell off their frivilous items.
Old 19-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #52
entrangermercenary
Inactive

Post Hmm

When it goes bad it will happen extremely quickly !!! Now you can store all you like, but what happens when you have to vacate your property at the drop of a hat...maybe due to civil disturbance/war or a natural disaster ???

In my previous experience ive walked( ) through villages that had been evacuated without a moments notice, and indeed had to do it ourselves on a few occasions with nothing more than what we were wearing and carrying.

In these houses everything was there....food, tvs , fridges, clothes in the wardrobes, pictures on the walls tables etc. The only thing that was missing was the steaming hot cup of coffee on the table

So dont lock yourself mentally in a box, that you can not leave all your possessions or food behind if you have to scoot.

YOU CAN ALWAYS START AGAIN

People are on about storing food and water... Are you going to stay in your home untill it runs out then ??? If the climate is that bad that food and water are short I would say you need to be thinking of getting the fuck out of there rapid.

Plenty of water in the UK just boil it Very few places that you cant walk a mile or so and come across a stream, brook or river !!!!

Again if you have to leave your home,then things are really dire.
Usually where there is water there is food of some description, dont think you will be eating ala carte either.
entrangermercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #53
armoured_amazon

My mum is content manna will fall from the sky, or something
Old 19-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #54
_underscore_

Quote:
My mum is content manna will fall from the sky, or something

Sign _underscore_ up for that program. Manna from the sky is even better than free healthcare!
Old 19-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #55
armoured_amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _underscore_ View Post
Sign _underscore_ up for that program. Manna from the sky is even better than free healthcare!
Lmfao
Old 19-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #56
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _underscore_ View Post
If things get real bad then you're already too late, nobody's gonna buy that shit (not that your shit is just shit). It's pretty bad now (in the US), and it's a pain in the ass to sell anything. There are too many people already that have no job and are trying to sell off their frivilous items.
I don't normally speak in French but its getting a tad fecking silly when the very items that people are trying to pawn today and tomorrow, are the same bloody things that they bought into and took their nations down the brain and jobs drain, which is now stinking to high heaven in a bigger way daily.

Best thing to do with them is smash them to bits and refrain from buying any more crap, the words, they deserve everything they get comes to mind.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #57
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrangermercenary View Post
When it goes bad it will happen extremely quickly !!! Now you can store all you like, but what happens when you have to vacate your property at the drop of a hat...maybe due to civil disturbance/war or a natural disaster ???

In my previous experience ive walked( ) through villages that had been evacuated without a moments notice, and indeed had to do it ourselves on a few occasions with nothing more than what we were wearing and carrying.

In these houses everything was there....food, tvs , fridges, clothes in the wardrobes, pictures on the walls tables etc. The only thing that was missing was the steaming hot cup of coffee on the table

So dont lock yourself mentally in a box, that you can not leave all your possessions or food behind if you have to scoot.

People are on about storing food and water... Are you going to stay in your home untill it runs out then ??? If the climate is that bad that food and water are short I would say you need to be thinking of getting the fuck out of there rapid.

Plenty of water in the UK just boil it Very few places that you cant walk a mile or so and come across a stream, brook or river !!!!

Usually where there is water there is food of some description, dont think you will be eating ala carte either.
Hi entrangermercenary, I am not in total dissagrement with you on some points, I just feel that an alternative view is called for here and there.

When things do go wrong, it is different from place to place. Having to leave in an instant is always gonna be a problem for those going through this. But what you will do is take all that means something to you and then some. By prepping the essensials and learning about your needs of a possable tommorrow now is better than having no insight at all!

It could be that we have to leave to a shelter, or a desingnated spot, or just be forced out at the drop of a hat by guys with guns. But we should understand that this is not going to happen all of a sudden with no warning. Its the warning shots that I and others are looking out for. It might happen in a small town first, and then others, but not and never all over and at the same time with no warning for all.

Having a supply of water means that if the taps run dry, then you dont. You will last untill the stop cocks and rationing comes to force. The same with food.

It is right to think that if you stay in-doors when 'it' happens then you are just delaying the enevitable. You do need an alternative plan. Most have not said that this is not so. But consider that if your plan was to move in with your gran and take what you can, then the fact that you know how much you need to drink and what are the best foods to take with you on this possably one time trip, then isnt it so that because you know now and not later, could be a life saver?

Nelly.
Old 23-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #58
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrangermercenary View Post

A few more obsevations if I may, Tracker you mentioned the trees in the woods scenario, here we used to have lots of fallen timber and flood wash timber, that all went about six months ago just before and during the last winter, people are on the ball if you notice this happening.

Then what happens in real harsh times is the smaller trees are taken out and so on until there is not much of sapling size left, some of the land owners are now restricting access to woods etc because of this, this in the long term is detrimental to the echology of the woodland species and ugs etc.

Back on track, no pun intended, its best to stock up as much as possible while you can, no matter how dire the situation, if the mucky stuff hits the cieling, those stores will not go to waste, they can be shared out amongst your local community and carried by them to safety....Its of no use trying to hide it all away in such a situ, thinking in this way is the reason why we are in this situation in the first place, so sad .

Be the car boot kind if you need to but never ever sell your tools, these are a starred item if there was ever any, not your tools especially the old ones that don't need electricity, this would be unsane.

Last edited by the apprentice; 23-06-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 23-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #59
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
Hi entrangermercenary, I am not in total dissagrement with you on some points, I just feel that an alternative view is called for here and there.

When things do go wrong, it is different from place to place. Having to leave in an instant is always gonna be a problem for those going through this. But what you will do is take all that means something to you and then some. By prepping the essensials and learning about your needs of a possable tommorrow now is better than having no insight at all!

It could be that we have to leave to a shelter, or a desingnated spot, or just be forced out at the drop of a hat by guys with guns. But we should understand that this is not going to happen all of a sudden with no warning. Its the warning shots that I and others are looking out for. It might happen in a small town first, and then others, but not and never all over and at the same time with no warning for all.

Having a supply of water means that if the taps run dry, then you dont. You will last untill the stop cocks and rationing comes to force. The same with food.

It is right to think that if you stay in-doors when 'it' happens then you are just delaying the enevitable. You do need an alternative plan. Most have not said that this is not so. But consider that if your plan was to move in with your gran and take what you can, then the fact that you know how much you need to drink and what are the best foods to take with you on this possably one time trip, then isnt it so that because you know now and not later, could be a life saver?Nelly.
We have a large river, wood and growing land, guns and ammo on the doorstep here, we are staying put until a stronger opponent gets the better of us, simple as that .

There is a motto used by the apline people of the northern Italian alps duriing WW2, It goes no one goes here, but we will help those who want to help themselves and us, this is the surest way to survive, come window shopping or other here and your in for a big surprise.

In the flash flood type scenario happens there is only a twelve day window where one neds to be prepared and well fed, those who have nothing but their skills to offer a community, will be in a very weakened state, try it out this summer and you will see exactly what I'm trying to say here, its not in the peoples interest to leave their area.

Call it the twelved days of exodus, day thirteen might be your last if your one of the denialists, especially when we know what's going on here, be it good bad or ugly, common base or popular, we are here for the duration, I suggest you get ready to fly pretty soon.
Old 23-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #60
tom bombadil

Yup. One needs to have a place to stay. Plan now and dont expect others to help. Why would they? Look after yourself. Advice is one thing, and practice makes perfect and all that, but when it comes to it, how do you intend to live in a safe way? Is it a dream in a cottage or in a wooden house in the countryside or a fortified camp somewhere where its free? Is it where you live now in a semi in 'Tom Good' suberbia? or a block of flats?

It does not matter. As long as you have a means to get on better than your neigbour and it makes you feel good then all the better! If you have more food and drink and clothing and warmth and shelter. Dam them all, grrr!

Each of us have our own means of survival. Our own understanding of how it will work for us.

I wont belittle a man that wants to stay home with the dog and just let what will happen, happen. And I wont tell a man that a cabin in the woods wont work. Or a fortification in the highlands that would be an instant target for those in the know. It is up to the individual how they act or react. How much food and water they own in their house or flat, or whether they have acces to a spring.

All we can do is pass on the info we have, try to make others understand how it could be done better and pat them on the back when they do what they want anyway.

Its a hoot to be honest. I am having fun collecting and getting ready. Any help I can give to others that ask I will give if I have the time.

Nelly.