Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News > Finance

Old 24-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
yamayama
Inactive

Default UK Workfare close to financial collapse.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpo...-dwp-collapse/

Quote:
The Government’s flagship back to work scheme, the Work Programme, is in peril. The bold new scheme, which pays private and not-for-profit providers by results for getting the long-term unemployed into work, looks likely to substantially undershoot the Government’s expectations, putting it at risk of financial collapse.

That’s according to new research published by the Social Market Foundation (SMF) today. Our paper, Will the Work Programme Work? examines the viability of Work Programme by forecasting the likely performance of the providers during its first three years, based on the actual performance achieved under Labour’s welfare to work scheme and the forerunner to the Work Programme, the Flexible New Deal (FND).

The analysis suggests that providers won’t hit the Department for Work and Pensions’ (DWP) minimum expectations in years one and two of the Work Programme, and even by year three, 22 out of 24 FND contractors would have failed to meet the minimum requirements of the new flagship scheme. As the Department has threatened to terminate the contracts of providers who do not meet these challenging benchmarks, this threatens the viability of the policy. The likely performance levels also mean that funding per jobseeker on the scheme will be significantly less than anticipated, creating real problems for private and voluntary sector providers already operating on extremely tight funding.

But anyone listening to this morning’s Today programme will have heard Employment Minister Chris Grayling dismiss this research as ‘flawed’, claiming that it is impossible to compare the Work Programme to FND. Grayling’s argument centred on the point that FND involved different groups of jobseekers to the Work Programme and that comparison of the schemes was therefore impossible. It’s true that the Work Programme caters for a larger group of jobseekers than did its predecessor – including sickness benefit claimants as well as the long-term unemployed. But SMF’s analysis is carefully based on comparable groups of long-term unemployed people – the main group helped by the new scheme.

While these groups of jobseekers are comparable, differences between the two programmes remain. But our analysis takes these into account to predict Work Programme performance based on the FND implied success rates. Even on optimistic assumptions, it concludes that the Work Programme performance targets are impossible for most providers.

Grayling’s objections, therefore, don’t stack up. And it’s not just the SMF that have raised concerns about performance levels. The Work and Pensions Committee of the House of Commons recently demanded clarity over how the DWP have come up with these challenging targets, and many providers have themselves expressed their doubt that the scheme will work. In the deteriorating economic climate, with the claimant count having risen by almost 110,000 since bids to deliver the Work Programme were invited, its future looks precarious.

Widespread provider failure or a late bailout would be bad for jobseekers, expensive for the taxpayer and fatal for many subcontractors, especially not-for-profit providers. In the light of this new evidence and the deteriorating labour market outlook, DWP should revise its minimum performance expectations, and introduce more credible incentives. It should also establish greater transparency about how it derived its estimates of minimum performance, and clarify how they would vary if economic conditions deteriorate, to create greater certainty and strengthen accountability. And, to advance the Government’s aim to be the “most transparent government in the world”, DWP should publish monthly provider performance data, starting immediately, not in autumn 2012 as currently planned.
yamayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
faustus

Good.

Glad to see yet another attempt to privatise public services failing.
faustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
eternal_spirit
Inactive

Well some providers round my way are due to close or have. Also they are having problems getting funding for certain courses such as CSCS card health and safety for labouring jobs etc. (or whatever it's called).

Although new providers are popping up to replace the others. Their advisors are basically taking over the role of the advisors at the job centre
(trying to find you jobs to apply for etc).
eternal_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
yamayama
Inactive

Heres a link to an article in The Guardian today about these issues;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-cameron-blair
yamayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
picha
Banned

Making people work for dole really is extremely cuntish.
picha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
lesleypumpshaft

All the Nazi's who love the idea of Workfare need to assess how they feel about their taxes going to the likes of Tesco and Primark so they can get free staff.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
the white knight

The other day i saw a Tory MP say that up to £5billion will be spent on various work schemes in the next 5 years to tackle unemployment in the UK i don't think the government cares if these work placement programmes work or not as its main purpose is to transfer £5billion of taxpayers money to private hands. It would be better to spend £5billion on infarstruction works throughout the country than these rubbish schemes at least at the end of it you will have something to show for it.
the white knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
eternal_spirit
Inactive

I know a lad who's been going to a provider for months (a few times a week/few hours) and no they never got him a work placement.

The whole thing is nonsense because they cannot find everyone a work placement, I suspect very few do. Their main aim is to help get you a proper job to get you off benefits. They get commission for this, so I heard?

When you get the info from the job centre about sending you to a work provider - all it says is "you may be asked to do some work experience that will last a couple of weeks." Which is much easier than it used to be.

But you may have to go to the provider's centre once a week or so (depending how much help you need) not that there is much help.
This is for over 25's so it maybe different for those under this age.

How it used to be
on new deal
I remember Standguide provider some years ago I had go there 5 days a week! To do job searches, Cv's and interview techniques - Of course no way one can spend 5 days a week doing job search all day - so you had to make it look like you were busy - but often we'd all end up sat around talking or nipping out for a smoke.

But back then there was more work placements (6 years ago) people would sometimes do that if they could find one rather than be stuck in the centre along with all the other freaks and staff ( 5 days a week)

Last edited by eternal_spirit; 24-08-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 24-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
silverwand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by picha View Post
I agree
silverwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white knight View Post
I don't think the government cares if these work placement programmes work or not as its main purpose is to transfer £5billion of taxpayers money to private hands.
This is it in a nutshell. If they really cared they would put £5billion into our rapidly becoming 3rd world infrastructure. Now that would provide purposefull work, which would truly benefit future generation's.

Last edited by redhead; 24-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
eternal_spirit
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
This is it in a nutshell. If they really cared they would put £5billion into our rapidly becoming 3rd world infrastructure. Now that would provide purposefull work, which would truly benefit future generation's.
Indeed. They could easily raise this money without borrowing from banks and still have some left over, to give pensioners fuel allowances etc (1000's freeze to death each year)

How could they raise money?

Pull all Brit troops out of foreign wars, stop mass immigration and stop all foreign aid.
Old 24-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
lesleypumpshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Yep, why should the likes of Tesco get free, disposable staff when the job situation in this country is a joke right now. So many people I know are looking for a job at the moment, and it's not as though they are being fussy and turning their noses up at jobs they think are beneath them.

But then some people seem to have found pockets of people in this country who are living the life of Riley driving big cars, wearing designer clothes and going on holiday when they have never worked a day in their life
Old 24-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
steppewar
Eternal Member

Quote:
Agreed. I've been on the dole for 22 years and I am not about to start working for it now. If I get forced onto this workfare shit, I am going to tell them to fuck off and see what happens.

Probably, I'll get my dole stopped and have to eat out of Tesco's bins. But this is a far better option than slaving my ass off 35 hours a week in McShitburgers or some other evil corporation for £65 a week.
steppewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
busa

Another government department underperforming?? Nay ! Say it is'nt so ??

Ghostwolf & the Hopi Elders
busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Firewand

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white knight View Post
The other day i saw a Tory MP say that up to £5billion will be spent on various work schemes in the next 5 years to tackle unemployment in the UK i don't think the government cares if these work placement programmes work or not as its main purpose is to transfer £5billion of taxpayers money to private hands. It would be better to spend £5billion on infarstruction works throughout the country than these rubbish schemes at least at the end of it you will have something to show for it.
Precisely, they're really not interested in working any viable solutions..at least not those from the higher echelons of the political ladder. I think personally many junior ministers are being conned by all the jargon with this. Those with any integrity who can see from outside of their parameters are simply forced to toe the party line or face being ostracised.

Last edited by Firewand; 24-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Firewand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
knightofthegrail
Banned

Quote:
No it's not. Teaching people that they are entitled to the fruits of another's labour, without giving anything back, is promoting theft. People who claim JSA should work 10 hours a week (the amount that they would work to earn their JSA at minimum wage).

It's not ideal (my ideal is that each family has its own land which it works to feed itself and trade with others), but until we get ideal this is a good start on dealing with entitlement culture in England.
knightofthegrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
picha
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofthegrail View Post
No it's not. Teaching people that they are entitled to the fruits of another's labour, without giving anything back, is promoting theft. People who claim JSA should work 10 hours a week (the amount that they would work to earn their JSA at minimum wage).

It's not ideal (my ideal is that each family has its own land which it works to feed itself and trade with others), but until we get ideal this is a good start on dealing with entitlement culture in England.
Making them work a full time week and only giving them dole money for it is highly cuntish, especially when they have been dishing out the jobs to eastern european resource stealers.

Last edited by picha; 24-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
picha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
knightofthegrail
Banned

Quote:
Making them work a full time week and only giving them dole money for it is highly cuntish.
Yes, it would be wrong to make them work a full week; the hours should be limited to 10.
knightofthegrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
khepera2010

Location: A vassal State of the EUSSR-formerly known as Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofthegrail View Post

Succesive fucking governments for the whole of my working life (26 years) have thought that they're entitled to take 800 quid a month out of my wages in Tax and NI (and also con me into paying into a private pension and for private health care) but because I expect my 65 quid a week out of 'them' I have to work for it?? Get to fuck.
khepera2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
lesleypumpshaft

Quote:
Making them work a full time week and only giving them dole money for it is highly cuntish, especially when they have been dishing out the jobs to eastern european resource stealers.
If companies were giving full time jobs to people at the end of it and running it as a trial period it would be one thing. But we all know that it's about them getting free labour.

Despite what some people might think there are plenty of people who desperately want a real job and can't get one. But why employ them when you can just get them to work for free. And I bet these companies like Tesco and ASDA get money for these work placements. Actually these companies are the ones stealing tax payers money.