Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

View Poll Results: Which martial art do you practice?
Boxing/Wrestling 9 8.11%
Aikido/Jiu-Jitsu/Judo 13 11.71%
Kung-fu/T'ai Chi/Ninjutsu 15 13.51%
Karate/Kenpo/Tae Kwon Do 25 22.52%
Kickboxing/Muay Thai 11 9.91%
Other (established style) 15 13.51%
Self-taught (no style, hybrid style or own style) 23 20.72%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #121
jondoeuk
Inactive

Wouldn't practicing two or three be a good thing like Aikido/Jiu-Jitsu/Judo, Kung-fu/T'ai Chi/Ninjutsu, Karate/Kenpo/Tae Kwon Do and/or Kickboxing/Muay Thai?.
jondoeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #122
nongeekywebdude
Banned

if for self defence, then it must be something where you practice against a fully resisting opponent with aliveness in training - if you dont have this then you have no idea what really works or how to make it work when you have someone with no interest in making you look good in a demo.

You only get good at what you practice, simulating deadly moves in a class against compliant opponents is next to useless, whereas if you can choke someone out who is doing their best to prevent you choking them, or manage to hit someone repeatedly while they are trying to batter you - that means you have actual skills which you may be able to reproduce in a confrontation.

Fighting is an ugly, painful business, effective training for fighting reflects this with full contact, active resistance, blood, sweat and occasional tears.

muay thai, boxing, bjj, judo, mma, sambo, wrestling etc - all good

krav maga, ww2 combatives, ninjitsu, kung fu, "insert deadly art here" etc - all bollox

if just for fitness or fun however, then obviously whatever takes your fancy, its all good

Last edited by nongeekywebdude; 20-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
nongeekywebdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #123
shipyardcat
Inactive

Any martial art with a competent teacher would be good. The problem is finding competent teachers! So many martial arts have been watered down over the years, or turned into sports, it can be difficult to find good quality traditional martial arts. (I'm not having a go at full contact combat sports here, rather the non-contact/points variety or that awful 'extreme martial arts' which seems to be a combination of gymnastics and screaming a lot).

I've been around martial arts for quite a few years, these days I'm lucky to be studying at a decent goju ryu school which doesn't do any sports karate.

I've seen a lot of idiots over the years, but also some good stuff too.

Last edited by shipyardcat; 21-09-2014 at 10:54 PM.
shipyardcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #124
motleyhoo

I'm only interested in learning the US Marines fighting style of how to "dispatch" the bad guy as quickly as possible with the least amount of effort. I'd also like to learn how to use a Katana.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote