Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News

Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
madbomber

Default Monsanto hit with huge fine

A terminally-ill groundskeeper has won a substantial judgment against Monsanto. The man, Dewayne Johnson, had alleged that exposure to Roundup, Monsanto's big-selling weedkiller, was the cause of his cancer. A jury in San Francisco agreed with the plaintiff and awarded him over $200 million in damages. The trial judge found that Monsanto acted "with malice and oppression" against scientists and academics who had sought to warn of the dangers of Roundup.

Monsanto will appeal. They have infinite resources and can drag this out until long after the infortunate Mr, Johnson has gone. In the meantime, it is a huge win for the consumer and, like the ongoing asbestos litigation, could see a large class suing Monsanto.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...johnson-ruling
Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
andy1033

Well he must of had good lawyers, as you would assume monsanto, can afford the best. Money normally talks, especially in american courts. ie money buying the best lawyers.

Who ever this geezer is, his lawyers must of done a decent job.
"You put 10 tonnes of proof in front of people, if they are not ready to accept an idea, they will not accept the proof. No amount of evidence will suffice to prove anything, it is the jury that will decide, and you are the jury."
William Cooper - behold a pale horse video
^^
So true
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
madbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1033 View Post
Well he must of had good lawyers, as you would assume monsanto, can afford the best. Money normally talks, especially in american courts. ie money buying the best lawyers.

Who ever this geezer is, his lawyers must of done a decent job.
Good venue too. The jury pool in San Francisco would contain, I imagine, a substantial number of anti-corporate types.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
andy1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber View Post
Good venue too. The jury pool in San Francisco would contain, I imagine, a substantial number of anti-corporate types.
I wonder how many times, someone has tried to sue monsanto?
"You put 10 tonnes of proof in front of people, if they are not ready to accept an idea, they will not accept the proof. No amount of evidence will suffice to prove anything, it is the jury that will decide, and you are the jury."
William Cooper - behold a pale horse video
^^
So true
andy1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
jaybigjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1033 View Post
I wonder how many times, someone has tried to sue monsanto?
I think a number of farmers have tried in the past but failed or run out of money.
jaybigjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
tinfoil hat

When RT did a report on Monsanto being bought out by another company, they said the new owners have taken on 500 cases, if I remember correctly.
tinfoil hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
sparkplug

I wonder if this will happen in the EU?

When VW got caught forging their emmisions in the US all hell broke out and they were fined, nothing happened in the EU.

Now Bayer/Monsanto have to pay out a lot of money over in the US, I bet nothing happens in the EU.

I am surprised at someone winning against such a big company over in the US as they always favour big business over there.
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
madbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybigjay View Post
I think a number of farmers have tried in the past but failed or run out of money.
Finding a lawyer to take them on is another issue. Fighting Monsanto on a contingency fee basis would be prohibitively expensive, even for a good-sized firm. Monsanto/Bayer have immensely deep pockets and a veritable army of lawyers to fight these cases.

I once had a summer job working at a firm that specialized in asbestos litigation. There were numerous defendants, past and present, and the plaintiff class numbered many thousands. My employer - who was one of many law firms involved - rented an entire building, three floors of which were stacked high with papers dating back to the 1940s. I sat in a room with about thirty other law students poring over box after box of documents and highlighting certain words as and when they appeared.

Technology may have improved things by now but Monsanto is a global entity and I imagine the discovery process would be equally onerous. Many asbestos litigants died before they ever saw a penny from the settlement fund, which amounted to billions of dollars. It is still going on as far as I know.
Old 14-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #9
fromthatshow

I hope something good comes from this even if he loses. Just getting this out there in the public discussion is good.
fromthatshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
the tealady
Forum Advisor

I will celebrate when they actually hand over the money.

Please don't feed the trolls.

When I LIKE a post, it does not always mean I agree, it can also just mean I think a valid point has been made.
the tealady is offline   Reply With Quote