Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 15-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
entrangermercenary
Inactive

Default Survival in the UK

Lets just blow this survival myth out the water a bit. The country side in the UK is pretty shit for food ie meat. Lets rephrase that its ok for a few hunters with air rifles or other light weapons as the countryside is Now.
So when the shit goes down where are all the city dwellers likely to look for safe haven or to get out of the towns " the countryside "
So now we have to look at forested areas with a sustainable food chain deer, wild boar ,squirrels, bunnies or basically any thing that moves. Then when we bang a few million people into these areas u ain't going for a shit unless its on someones head A few million would imo be a conservative estimate because huge amounts of the population in various cities would be on the move out of them. AHH but what about the mountains, moors or plains Well I don't know how many on here have actually tried to survive in these places for a few weeks as it is now without people every where it isn't like the films !!
Then the weather ffs.What a shitter that is, wet day after wet day , no where to dry your clothes but by lying on them.Where does the Fuel for fires or cooking come from?? unless you want to eat cold food for weeks on end. That's just the fucking summer

Then the winter comes, been lucky in the Uk for quite a few years, been pretty mild but always a rogue winter around the corner ie last year.
That just amplifies everything. Igloos yep warmer than the minus 20 outside and sheltered from the wind but still freezing. A tip never share an igloo with some prick that smokes if you dont smoke, it ain't good.
Me I live in the country side 9 miles from the nearest town on a msr. What would I do if the shit hit the fan.... Pray

Discuss
entrangermercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
hunter77
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrangermercenary View Post
Lets just blow this survival myth out the water a bit. The country side in the UK is pretty shit for food ie meat. Lets rephrase that its ok for a few hunters with air rifles or other light weapons as the countryside is Now.
So when the shit goes down where are all the city dwellers likely to look for safe haven or to get out of the towns " the countryside "
So now we have to look at forested areas with a sustainable food chain deer, wild boar ,squirrels, bunnies or basically any thing that moves. Then when we bang a few million people into these areas u ain't going for a shit unless its on someones head A few million would imo be a conservative estimate because huge amounts of the population in various cities would be on the move out of them. AHH but what about the mountains, moors or plains Well I don't know how many on here have actually tried to survive in these places for a few weeks as it is now without people every where it isn't like the films !!
Then the weather ffs.What a shitter that is, wet day after wet day , no where to dry your clothes but by lying on them.Where does the Fuel for fires or cooking come from?? unless you want to eat cold food for weeks on end. That's just the fucking summer

Then the winter comes, been lucky in the Uk for quite a few years, been pretty mild but always a rogue winter around the corner ie last year.
That just amplifies everything. Igloos yep warmer than the minus 20 outside and sheltered from the wind but still freezing. A tip never share an igloo with some prick that smokes if you dont smoke, it ain't good.
Me I live in the country side 9 miles from the nearest town on a msr. What would I do if the shit hit the fan.... Pray

Discuss
i see what your saying, but isnt it better to have the skills to hunt ,fish ect than not to.
i think alot of people would stay in the cities and wait for the help that would obviously never come, then end up kiling each other.
imo survival is about giving yourself the best chance, so learning a few skills like trapping, fishing shooting and identifying wild forna can only help also how to prepare it.
as for igloos i think thas a bit far feched. but learning to build a shelter isnt a bad thing. as for your sarcasm bout this subject thats your perogative but dont take the piss out of us folk who'd rather shoot and collect a few wild meals rather than put our hrd earned into the hands of the powers that be
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
waylander
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrangermercenary View Post

Discuss
I'd get myself a good dog.

With it I could hunt.

It would warn me of these wandering masses from cities.

It would protect me from the wandering masses from cities.

It would cuddle up to me in my igloo and keep me warm. (and doesn't smoke)

Best survival companion/ aid / tool you could want.

Waylander
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
hunter77
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
I'd get myself a good dog.

With it I could hunt.

It would warn me of these wandering masses from cities.

It would protect me from the wandering masses from cities.

It would cuddle up to me in my igloo and keep me warm. (and doesn't smoke)

Best survival companion/ aid / tool you could want.

Waylander
and it will go to the places you can't to collect our quarry and be more loyal than it is possible for a human to be
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
jonas parker

It might be time for you all to be looking for places in other countries. I'm not necessarily saying Texas (although it's fine by me if you all want to head to the USA), but check out the remote mountain and forest areas on the continent. Also, aren't there a number of small islands of the coast where a person could pretty well supply him/herself with fish and a small garden? Think a bit outside the box. Anyone reading this has internet access, so research materials are close to infinite.

There's another, darker side to consider. After 2 months of SHTF, how many people who "don't get it" would still be left in the large urban areas. The concept of masses of people abandoning the cities and surging into the countryside may possibly be flawed. Disease, starvation, robbers, and all kinds of misfortunes will thin out the ranks fairly quickly. Those unprepared might just "die in place" or die trying to get out of the urban areas. Only a small percentage of the unprepared will actually make it out for any distance.

I really feel that the survivors will be the folks who recognize the imminent collapse and are the first to leave to a safer place. The latecomers will be too late.

Last edited by jonas parker; 16-05-2009 at 04:58 PM.
jonas parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
entrangermercenary
Inactive

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post
i see what your saying, but isnt it better to have the skills to hunt ,fish ect than not to.
i think alot of people would stay in the cities and wait for the help that would obviously never come, then end up kiling each other.
imo survival is about giving yourself the best chance, so learning a few skills like trapping, fishing shooting and identifying wild forna can only help also how to prepare it.
as for igloos i think thas a bit far feched. but learning to build a shelter isnt a bad thing. as for your sarcasm bout this subject thats your perogative but dont take the piss out of us folk who'd rather shoot and collect a few wild meals rather than put our hrd earned into the hands of the powers that be
Bank holiday next weekend, so go and have a look in the countryside how just a few more people make a difference!! A lot will stay in the cities but lets say a lowly 10% leave each city and head out to the country , thats a lot of people.
I do about 280-450 miles per day in the countryside of glostershire, herefordshire, monmouth, gwent,(brecons) s wales, west wales,and mid wales. Very few places I would want to survive. In survive I mean eat,( with sustainable food sources) sleep, shelter( fuel for fires) and also defend the area.
Nothing wrong with a bit of hunting, fishing . Is that going to give you an edge, well it totally depends on the scenario that may happen eh.
Have you ever had to run for your life ?? Sorta focuses the mind quickly on survival in various different ways. Hopefully it will never come to that but if it does a major part of survival is your mental strength. In fact if you havent got the mental strength and the motivation lifes a bitch

Igloos !! Now that is irony saying its far fetched on this forum So possibly a super volcano could erupt dropping the temperture 5 or 6 degrees putting us on par with Canada, as we should be anyway if it wasnt for the gulf stream. It was only a few months ago I was standing in snow up to my waist. Now was that not far fetched if you said that was going to happen last summer.

Any way what Im saying is survival is not going to be how you think it is now. Fishing, snaring ,surviving unaposed without conflict of intrests with other people.

OH another thing people harp on here about is crossbows ffs.I fucked about with them once it was a panzer mk2 with sights ( yep not a tank) waste of frigging time. Even trialed them in the millitary unit I was with . Binned. Better than nothing correct thats about it tho

And your dogs slluuuurrrrp they make a nice curry Yep I do own a little terrier but no good to me in a survival situation when Im fighting for my life. The only good thing I would say for them is if its a settled static situation ie camp they will warn you of impending doom, but dont be supprised if its taken out.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker View Post
It might be time for you all to be looking for places in other countries. I'm not necessarily saying Texas (although it's fine by me if you all want to head to the USA), but check out the remote mountain and forest areas on the continent. Also, aren't there a number of small islands of the coast where a person could pretty well supply him/herself with fish and a small garden? Think a bit outside the box. Anyone reading this has internet access, so research materials are close to infinite.

There's another, darker side to consider. After 2 months of SHTF, how many people who "don't get it" would still be left in the large urban areas. The concept of masses of people abandoning the cities and surging into the countryside may possibly be flawed. Disease, starvation, robbers, and all kinds of misfortunes will thin out the ranks fairly quickly. Those unprepared might just "die in place" or die trying to get out of the urban areas. Only a small percentage of the unprepared will actually make it out for any distance.

I really feel that the survivors will be the folks who recognize the imminent collapse and are the first to leave to a safer place. The latecomers will be too late.
I think you make a really good point there, I think many people will be in a state of denial and will not try to leave till it's too late, get in to the country while you still can, cities will be hell on earth.

I have gone for a forest habitat.
unusual_suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
cruise4

If I was them the all obvious 'retreat' terrain would be smart dusted or similar already. We are goiing to have to stand up, barring intervention. I'm ready.
cruise4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
tom bombadil

Hi ho, entrangermercenary and all

Discuss.....ok

A lot of folk think that a calamity will be the pre-curser for the Poo hitting the Fan, and that is as maybe, but I think that when we 'woke-up' from the dream that was how we used to be, we might have found out that the Shit had hit allready!

What do I mean? Well if by the shtf is a threat to us as humans then we are already under attack from those that are controling us, and to 'survive' the onslaught of eat 'this' and 'drink' that (that most folk truly have no knowage and therefore choice not to) from tptb we need to change our lifestyle.

By that I mean we do need to move away now from the big cities. By hook or by crook we should move to a new home. If we are able we should sell-up and move to a place that has land that you can protect and grow your own. You dont need a lot of space..
... but I would go for one with a distance from front gate to your front door. Also if you are out in the styks enough then I would also buy some cheap land (Close by) and grow on that too. I repeat though you do not need tons of space to live comfortably.

For those that rent then you could look for a place with a yard too. Grow on it if you can.

In all cases keep your food close.

If on the otherhand one might be thinking that by the shtf is a 'something' spectacular then other planning is called for. Is it this 'other' entrangermercenary that you wish to talk over?

Nelly.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Tom B, good points there, I have been thinking this also, I suspect the ts is htf right now and while people are expecting some sort of huge catastrophic event, look around you, things are pretty bad.
unusual_suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
margaretr

According to the Mayan calendar the 'sh.t' will hit the fan Nov 2009 and will last almost a year
I am 66 now and do not have the stamina to move to a sparsly populated area and successfully survive there.
My only option is to stay put and survive with resources I can accumulate between now and then.
I am fortunate to live at the edge of a small town with a moorland stream within easy reach.
I have stockpiled food supplements and herbal remedies.
I am accumulating a supply of dried and tinned food.
I have bought a supply of vegetable seeds
I have bought a 13 gallon water carrier and water purification drops.
A problem is how I will keep warm? I do not have facilities for an open fire in my flat, so I will have to build a fire outside.
There is an area of woodland at the rear, but 'green wood' will not be burnable - I could burn my furniture in the back garden

By isolating myself I think I could survive for that year.
My only worry would be marauding gangs who would want my stores.
I live on 1st floor so am not as vulnerable as the ground floor residents, and I expect the pillaging will be directed at wealthy homes first.

Any suggestions to improve this plan will be appreciated.
margaretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
decim

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretr View Post
According to the Mayan calendar the 'sh.t' will hit the fan Nov 2009 and will last almost a year
I am 66 now and do not have the stamina to move to a sparsly populated area and successfully survive there.
My only option is to stay put and survive with resources I can accumulate between now and then.
I am fortunate to live at the edge of a small town with a moorland stream within easy reach.
A problem is how I will keep warm? I do not have facilities for an open fire in my flat, so I will have to build a fire outside.
There is an area of woodland at the rear, but 'green wood' will not be burnable - I could burn my furniture in the back garden

I live on 1st floor so am not as vulnerable as the ground floor residents, and I expect the pillaging will be directed at wealthy homes first.

If you are intent on staying put, get a suitably large dog(as big as your food store will allow) & have some hoardings to cover your windows from the inside.
Weapons, axe etc
Heating? Invest in the best outdoor clothing you can & a very good sleeping bag.
Have an emergency plan B, a way to exit the building.
Also make sure you have some fire fighting equipment, blanket, extinguisher.
Wind up solar/radio AM/FM/SW/charger/torch/s
DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental. Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.

Last edited by decim; 28-05-2009 at 02:25 PM.
decim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by decim View Post
If you are intent on staying put, get a suitably large dog(as big as your food store will allow) & have some hoardings to cover your windows from the inside.
Weapons, axe etc
Heating? Invest in the best outdoor clothing you can & a very good sleeping bag.
Have an emergency plan B, a way to exit the building.
Also make sure you have some fire fighting equipment, blanket, extinguisher.
Wind up solar/radio AM/FM/SW/charger/torch/s
I think I will 'pass' on having a dog- so will limit amount of sewage disposal needed
I already have venetian blinds and some blackout fabric blinds I could add as well, so my place would look uninhabited.
The axe sounds good - will do
I have a fire extinguisher and tow rope for a window exit, I will add a fire blanket.
"Wind up solar/radio AM/FM/SW/charger/torch/s" - will get
Sound thinking Batman(Decim).....many thanks

Last edited by margaretr; 28-05-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 28-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
tom bombadil

Quote:

Hullo margaretr. I am not going into the Mayan calendar now cos I am still learning on that one, but I will say that the general concensious, as you have said as much, is that the change will come over time and not as a shtf idea.

I will go over your situation and pick at it if I may?

Do you have a balcony?

You are lucky I think as you said you live in a small town, and that is even better. We will all need ties to others. So first of all you need to make freinds if you havent already. If you have one that knows you well, then you could talk over you and he/she getting together and living at their gaf. I am not talking of shacking up together now, but when the time comes. You should be planting those seeds now, and stocking up on the procedes of them, both seed and food can be harvested and stored. Learn 'canning' (as the yanks say) or bottling and preserving now, not later. The same for those herbal remidies. They are a brilliant and often forgotten part of living off the land. You could also learn more by having a few books at home at all times, and applying those remidies when you need them now.

Dont forget fruit seeds too.

Learn to dry your own now. You do not need an expencive bit of kit to do it. You can do it with some ply board and screws.

Look here http://www.lakeland.co.uk/L?content=..._catalogue.htm in the gardening cat. pages 17 (the tom hanger) 22+23, 53(Fresha Tank Water Cleaner) and any of the windowsill stuff Might intrest you.

You need more water storage. Yes you need to be able to go to the srtream and get it from there, but you also need to supply and store your own. Look here and at others on the same site http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...nt&view=videos . Also are intresting. You will have to sort the wheat from the chaff as it were but all news is good news for us on these topics. I cant find it at the mo but there is one where a woman has gone and supplied her whole crop with her own harvested water. Harder for you where you are but now you know how, right

On storing water, if you think that the supply will run dry or be cut off, then you should fill your bath with all you can asap.

I suggest a smaller 'to and fro' carrier. You could wash at the stream too to save time and effort.
one site leads to another.

Keeping warm I will come back on soon (have to pop out) and it can be complicated.

Again, do you have a balcony?

Nelly.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
jp13

I find myself in agreement with most of the stuff you post Tom, I live in biggest city in UK and like you I feel in some way the shtf has already happened. I can't drive, never learned, and I need to get a lot fitter, I cannot believe how unfit I am compared to say 20 years ago, and now I am not drinking and eating better food, less exercise and still smoking though. I know enough about herbs to know which one's are good for what. I need to strenghten myself.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer
jp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
Hullo margaretr. I am not going into the Mayan calendar now cos I am still learning on that one, but I will say that the general concensious, as you have said as much, is that the change will come over time and not as a shtf idea.

I will go over your situation and pick at it if I may?

Do you have a balcony?

You are lucky I think as you said you live in a small town, and that is even better. We will all need ties to others. So first of all you need to make freinds if you havent already. If you have one that knows you well, then you could talk over you and he/she getting together and living at their gaf. I am not talking of shacking up together now, but when the time comes. You should be planting those seeds now, and stocking up on the procedes of them, both seed and food can be harvested and stored. Learn 'canning' (as the yanks say) or bottling and preserving now, not later. The same for those herbal remidies. They are a brilliant and often forgotten part of living off the land. You could also learn more by having a few books at home at all times, and applying those remidies when you need them now.

Dont forget fruit seeds too.

Learn to dry your own now. You do not need an expencive bit of kit to do it. You can do it with some ply board and screws.

Look here http://www.lakeland.co.uk/L?content=..._catalogue.htm in the gardening cat. pages 17 (the tom hanger) 22+23, 53(Fresha Tank Water Cleaner) and any of the windowsill stuff Might intrest you.

You need more water storage. Yes you need to be able to go to the srtream and get it from there, but you also need to supply and store your own. Look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM11T...e=channel_page and at others on the same site http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...nt&view=videos . Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFIkJ...e=channel_page are intresting. You will have to sort the wheat from the chaff as it were but all news is good news for us on these topics. I cant find it at the mo but there is one where a woman has gone and supplied her whole crop with her own harvested water. Harder for you where you are but now you know how, right

On storing water, if you think that the supply will run dry or be cut off, then you should fill your bath with all you can asap.

I suggest a smaller 'to and fro' carrier. You could wash at the stream too to save time and effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Q9R...ture=quicklist one site leads to another.

Keeping warm I will come back on soon (have to pop out) and it can be complicated.

Again, do you have a balcony?

Nelly.
Thanks for more ideas.
I don't have a balcony and no garden really - just communal lawns back and front which are mown by my landlord, so planting now will be difficult, I will only be able to use containers on windowsills.

I already have a wheeled shopping trolley which can accommodate my water container (the type seen in high streets in use by the elderly)

My son lives a twenty minute walk away, and that is mainly across fields with only a hundred yards of B road where I would be at risk. He has no land for planting either.
There is a large area of alottments right next to me. I already buy eggs there. I hope that it is not subjected to food raiders from the town. I contemplate I may need to dig up the landlord's lawn if need be, or trade some seeds for ready grown until I get my own garden going

I have ordered a solar/windup/radio/torch combo.
I have looked at outdoor wear and those shiny survival blankets- have earmarked some for further scrutiny/watching on ebay.
I don't think a sleeping bag is a good idea - I will sleep in thermal clothing - better to facilitate a 'flight/escape' if ever needed.

I have 3 neighbours - I am friendly with all 3 - all men - but none can be relied on - one is mentally backward and the other two are in poor health.
I will wait for your suggestions on clothing before I purchase.

Thanks for helping this old biddy plan survival
Old 28-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
jonas parker

Margaret, we live in a small town (2,500 people) and figure to stay here. We know our close neighbors well, and we're all on the same page when it comes to what's happening in the world. Get to know your neighbors, have them over for tea, sound them out about "being prepared", weed out the "don't get its" and plan with the like-minded.

As far as keeping warm is concerned, head to the local "Army Surplus Store". You can probably buy a surplus "artic" sleeping bag (good to -20ºF) a whole lot cheaper than a new one from the sporting goods stores. If you have a dog, you'll have warning enough to get up before anyone can break into your home. You don't have to sleep in your clothes. Forget the "space blankets". They are overpriced, wear out quickly, and are good only for hikers who get lost.

A small camp stove will allow you to cook as needed. Don't burn your furniture, but if you have a garage or place to stack it, pick up the green wood that falls from the trees, saw it to convenient lengths, and stack it in a dry place outside with good ventilation to dry. Or as an alternative to wood, you can try this:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48706

The dog is a great idea but you don't need the "Hound of the Baskervilles" to accomplish the dual mission of early warning and deterrent. Something the size of a Lakeland Terrier (terriers are very territorial) will work wonders and still not be too big to feed and clean up after. The local RSPCA shelter can probably provide you with a suitable dog.

While I like the idea of a hatchet, an axe might be better... the longer handle puts more distance between you and a possible attacker (who'll be busy prying the dog off of his leg anyway).

As you look at your preparations, you'll always be thinking of what else you need. However, you're already far ahead of 90% of the population right now!

If you have questions, PM me!

JP

Last edited by jonas parker; 28-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.
jonas parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
alzee

Quote:

To deal with those who want your rice and other goodies, I recommend getting a Pistol Crossbow. They're not expensive and you can buy 80lb self-cocking pistols which can be reloaded quickly.
alzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
entrangermercenary
Inactive

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
Hi ho, entrangermercenary and all

Discuss.....ok

A lot of folk think that a calamity will be the pre-curser for the Poo hitting the Fan, and that is as maybe, but I think that when we 'woke-up' from the dream that was how we used to be, we might have found out that the Shit had hit allready!

What do I mean? Well if by the shtf is a threat to us as humans then we are already under attack from those that are controling us, and to 'survive' the onslaught of eat 'this' and 'drink' that (that most folk truly have no knowage and therefore choice not to) from tptb we need to change our lifestyle.

By that I mean we do need to move away now from the big cities. By hook or by crook we should move to a new home. If we are able we should sell-up and move to a place that has land that you can protect and grow your own. You dont need a lot of space..
...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-6eDQ8c-A but I would go for one with a distance from front gate to your front door. Also if you are out in the styks enough then I would also buy some cheap land (Close by) and grow on that too. I repeat though you do not need tons of space to live comfortably.

For those that rent then you could look for a place with a yard too. Grow on it if you can.

In all cases keep your food close.

If on the otherhand one might be thinking that by the shtf is a 'something' spectacular then other planning is called for. Is it this 'other' entrangermercenary that you wish to talk over?

Nelly.
Hi ya Tom nice post

I personally do not feet any threat at this moment in time. Except for the fucker that had loosened wheel nuts on my vehicle twice in the last 8mths. Funny that, as it has never happened in 10yrs and as soon as I come on here it happened

Ok land. Well I have land so that is not a problem.For other people the price of land is not cheap anymore, and the other problem is getting a farmer to sell you some. Seems there is woodland around for sale, sorta copsy type woodland, which If there was a few of you from 1 area u mite b able to look into this. I personally dont think it will b very cheap but im guessing as havnt done any research into it.

Brought a poly tunnel just before xmas and will be sorting that out this summer. Another thing people can look at. Not sure what the smallest size is , but sure there must b 6ft ones. Also as far as Im aware no planning needed. Not so sure for you townies tho if u want to stick one in the backgarden

Water supply !! Well the land we have has a mains water supply for the animal troughs which is fine as things stand at the moment. But if things go pear shape in society and we have a break down I think u can forget about your water and electric.300yds away we have a big fucking river ie the Severn, and unless I can walk across it on bodies that will do me fine !!

Shelter is no probs as knocked up a barn with a couple of stables. Now fuel for fires etc. Well the river Severn is a tidal river and when I first came to this area I would collect the wood and use it on our fire. Only a certain size tide will push up this high. so once that retreats it may not back for a week or 2 leaving plenty of wood.
Also there are salmon (not many), plenty of eels, shad
http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/endang...rallishad.html

And elvers, although this is the worst year on record for them !!

http://www.glasseel.com/

So hopefully my family can cope if an emergency arises !!

I didnt plan to b living in this area but things happen, and as it goes its worked well. The land was a bit of luck as well (4acres) but had to work hard to get the money for it. So its a bit of luck, hard work and fate that helps you get along, and a good mental attitude.
Old 28-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
entrangermercenary
Inactive

Smile

Quote:
I think I will 'pass' on having a dog- so will limit amount of sewage disposal needed
I already have venetian blinds and some blackout fabric blinds I could add as well, so my place would look uninhabited.
The axe sounds good - will do
I have a fire extinguisher and tow rope for a window exit, I will add a fire blanket.
"Wind up solar/radio AM/FM/SW/charger/torch/s" - will get
Sound thinking Batman(Decim).....many thanks
Hi ya margaretr

Don't know if its your own home or not but mayb a little false wall to make a hidey hole !! In your situation of unwanted guests hiding imo would b the best option. The axe, good for wood, but you don't really want to b confronting nutcases with it. But that is a choice only you can make if the need arises !!

As for the place looking uninhabited, that would b the ideal case to kick the doors in and have a mooch so don't go thinking along them lines.

Anyway you have age and experience on your side having lived through the fifties which for world peace was a very iffy time so Im told. Sure there are plenty of tricks in your memory banks that you know of.

Keeping warm, well mayb one of them old big drums you used to see on the picket lines kept in your back garden just in case the need arises.

Any way if the poo does hit the fan and there is a complete meltdown, don't worry about the law there wont b any. I'm sure you will do what is necessary to survive