Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 16-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #81
kblood

Ohh, just had to add. I just got the new HTC Hero phone that uses Googles Android OS. Seems rather usefull since it is USB powered. MiniUSB EU has claimed a new standard of power for mobile phones. The nice thing about android is that it has a digital compass and GPS. Im am looking for an offline GPS application for it, since Google maps just isnt helpfull unless always connected to 3G or Wireless.

Using its GPS and gyrometer, it even has an application for viewing the stars in the sky, so you can see where the constelations are, even when inside or at day. To experienced people that is a powerfull tool of navigation, although the GPS on its own should be able to cover that.

With all these things combined into one device, they seem to get more uses when working together. Like taking a picture and using the GPS to tag where it was taken. The Gyrometer + the camera could possible even be used to make real stuff into 3D. It seems it can also actually help tell the speed something is going up and down, for whatever reason that might be usefull.

Well, just thought I would let you know. I am trying to figure out other uses for it as well. A real compass and actual survival training would probably be best in most cases, if not all. This just might make it more fun though

Quote:
“One person can make a difference and every person should try.” John F. Kennedy
Quote:
"Imagination governs the world."
"He who fears being conquered is certain of defeat." Napoleon
Quote:
"The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein
Quote:
"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." Bruce Lee
kblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #82
kblood

Another something I found

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11136

Survival kit:

Quote:
- Outdoors digital survival kit -- solar battery keeps your cell phone running and LED flashlight lights up the dark
- Consists of the following features:
Rechargeable Emergency Backup Battery 3800mAh
Can be recharged by sunlight (solar power) or by AC
Compass
Digital Watch
LED Flashlight

- Recharges cell phones and other digital devices (12 adapters included, check the adapters picture to check if your phone is supported)
Price: $28.01

Lots of other solar power cells on the site. From around 3$ and up with varying volts and other stuff. Im not buying this one, I am buying a kit that is around $15 and additional solar power cells for $18.

**edit ** looking back I guess I should just have bought the solar powered laptop charger...

Then I will try and see how well it charges. If it works well, I might get something to recharge my laptop as well. Seems its just around $9000 for a complete set giving 660W:
http://dansksolenergi.dk/Produkt/pak...0watt_uk.shtml

Not exactly something that takes 20 years to pay off, and if needed it should be able to power the most important stuff. Unless there are several days of rain or heavy snow and lots of clouds I guess. On top of this its probably best with some of those garden lamp thingies for some extra light during the winter.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by kblood; 17-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #83
naturalcanvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasuredome View Post
i dont know if anyone's mention this, but deep cycle batteries are best for running equipment off as they dont lose so much of there charge capacity each time they are depleted.

LED lighting is obviously better than normal bulbs and last far longer.

a couple of years ago i tried out running my laptop and sound system from a car battery that was about had it, only had to charge it up once a week.

Well done pleasuredome you are correct.
I live on a boat and i have PLENTY of power running through my deep cycle leisure batts as i have a solar panel and wind turbine....
Life is NOT hard to acustom too this way of life. I have power for everything i need. Laptop, water pumps, sterio, t.v. ( if needed, but predominantly for DVDs), LED lighting and gas for cooker... just swap everything for 12v and your laughing. Try camping shops and narrow boat suppliers for further info... ive been living totally 12v for 4 years.... its great... also stock up on candles and candle making equipent for excess wax. Save power where necessary. PM me if you would like more info.
Old 19-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #84
rydeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalcanvas View Post
I live on a boat and i have PLENTY of power running through my deep cycle leisure batts as i have a solar panel and wind turbine....
Life is NOT hard to acustom too this way of life. I have power for everything i need. Laptop, water pumps, sterio, t.v. ( if needed, but predominantly for DVDs), LED lighting and gas for cooker... just swap everything for 12v and your laughing. Try camping shops and narrow boat suppliers for further info... ive been living totally 12v for 4 years.... its great... also stock up on candles and candle making equipent for excess wax. Save power where necessary. PM me if you would like more info.
Excellent to hear mate.

What battery's are you running?

I've seen one type I like the look of here:

http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/cg...lt&pid=670.htm

A bit pricy but they have treble the power a normal battery has
rydeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #85
kblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydeon View Post
Excellent to hear mate.

There are batteries made especially for solar power:
http://dansksolenergi.dk/Produkt/pak...0watt_uk.shtml

So they can be serial connected and be used for power and recharge at the same time. Guess the same can be done with regular batteries.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 20-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #86
djhooker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalcanvas View Post
this is something i've looked into doing, living on a boat, a proper seaworthy one, like the one in jaws lol. looking at salford quays for mooring too, as it's next to the sea too. that way, if the zombie apocalypse does happen, i can just pull up the anchor and fuck off!
djhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #87
naturalcanvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydeon View Post
Excellent to hear mate.

Ill have to look tomorrow mate cant remember the brand....
Jeez... they are pricey! If they really last much loger then i suppose its worth the investment. Id have to ask my eletrician geeky boaty mates lol... the trouble is, as i top up and deplete all the time it does take its toll on them, so some deeper research is needed. As it is with mine they last about 2-3 years and there only £100 each and I have 3. I do have an inverter as well for 240v but i try not to use it much as this does drain them badly. I have a fridge but dont use it, also a very bad drain, but you would be very surprised how easy it is to live without one! 4 years now!! Ive become accustom to warm wine.... lol
Old 20-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #88
naturalcanvas

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhooker View Post
this is something i've looked into doing, living on a boat, a proper seaworthy one, like the one in jaws lol. looking at salford quays for mooring too, as it's next to the sea too. that way, if the zombie apocalypse does happen, i can just pull up the anchor and fuck off!
lol.... no matter where we run they will probably find us eventually anyway...lol but more fun this way! Must admit it would be much faster to cruise away on the sea for sure! lol you can literally walk faster than a narrow boat can travel..lol well funny.
Im about to start growing veg on my roof too so by next summer ill 'almost' be completely self sufficient... 'square foot gardening' is the way to go for folk with very limited space to grow food.
Anyone thinking of living afloat should go for it now... id never go back to land... no council tax, no leccy bill, no t.v. licence, and totally off grid. And baliffs cant find you... hehehehe... although ive had great fun using FMOTL and statute based letters to fight them... just for the fun of it!
Its actually cheaper than renting a room plus bills too... why live with a bunch of peeps you hate when you can have a floating apartment all to yourself??!!
Old 20-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #89
flickflack

It would be cool to be able to charge your iPod just by walking in the Sun.

I will probably try one of those products, although I would better be waiting to the summer then. The sun is kinda dissappearing now in the winter, and I feel it doesn't shine as powerful now from the sun up here.
flickflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #90
bob walsh

Default Solar Panels and car batteries

The solar panels on the vehicle’s roof provides some power to the vehicle’s systems. It comes with regenerative brakes and a Lithium Metal Polymer batteries, and has a range of 155 miles per charge. According to the manufacturer, all the materials in the construction have been sourced to be as environmentally friendly as possible.
bob walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #91
montesmobileseramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by times7 View Post
i have said that solar power is useless for cooking that is a 100% FACT
http://www.solarcooking.org/
http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

Last edited by montesmobileseramus; 29-12-2009 at 03:33 PM.
montesmobileseramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #92
tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Is there anyone here who knows about about this subject ? I need help

I am seriously thinking of getting a 13W solar panel in order to charge up a car battery for a constant source of free power when the shit hits the fan.

Has anyone got any advice for me about this ?

I intend to put the solar panel in the house near the window and the battery also in the house. The type of solar panel will hopefully be a "crystalline cell" which supposedly is very efficent and works in all weathers.

1. Does the battery create dangerous gases during charging ? I heard somewhere that it does but I have always charged up car betteries in the house in the past (using a mains charger) with no ill effects.

2. Also, could I connect the solar panel to my small battery charger (for charging AA batteries etc) as long as I have the right connector attached ?

3. Can I use a car battery to charge AA batteries ?

4. What other things can a car battery be used for ?

Thanks, any help appreciated
try some of the links on this link , although the thread title is verydifferent from your topic , maybe some of the links on this thread might lead you to what you are looking for , who knows ?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92374

tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #93
steevo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
try some of the links on this link , although the thread title is verydifferent from your topic , maybe some of the links on this thread might lead you to what you are looking for , who knows ?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92374

Thanks Tracker, I will check it out later
Cheers!
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #94
tracker

Any time dude .

tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #95
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Is there anyone here who knows about about this subject ? I need help

I am seriously thinking of getting a 13W solar panel in order to charge up a car battery for a constant source of free power when the shit hits the fan.

Has anyone got any advice for me about this ?

I intend to put the solar panel in the house near the window and the battery also in the house. The type of solar panel will hopefully be a "crystalline cell" which supposedly is very efficent and works in all weathers.

1. Does the battery create dangerous gases during charging ? I heard somewhere that it does but I have always charged up car betteries in the house in the past (using a mains charger) with no ill effects.

2. Also, could I connect the solar panel to my small battery charger (for charging AA batteries etc) as long as I have the right connector attached ?

3. Can I use a car battery to charge AA batteries ?

4. What other things can a car battery be used for ?

Thanks, any help appreciated
I have seen on the u-tube, loads of devises that give 'free' power, the best being a mobile phone charger that uses simple (always there) radio waves to 'charge a wire that is plugged into the mobile!!! Cool

I want to first ask of what it is that you think you might need to provide power for?

I made a short list of the things that I might need at 'that' later time, and it was surprisingly small.

Before you answer though I think it is a nessasery precaution to make sure that it/they can fit into a Faraday cage of sorts, in case of EMP.

Nelly.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #96
tom bombadil

I dunno if I have said so before so forgive me if I have.

This bloke... http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vention4wh#g/u Has some cool things to say. Veiw his power outage vids and there he has some stuff to say on those solar panels. Very informative.

ect...

Nelly.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote