Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 21-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
northernmonkey

Default Crossbows

As guns are not legal here in the UK, I am thinking about buying a crossbow for self defense and hunting if I needed to in the future. Can anyone reccomend a good crossbow and how effective are they compared to a gun?
northernmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
greenleaf
Banned

My daughter does a little Archery..

There are some laws to TIC:
Crossbows

Source: Crossbows Act 1987

Offence:
Section 1 - (Sale): It is an offence for any person to sell or let on hire a crossbow or part of a crossbow to a person under the age of 17.

Section 2 - (Purchase): It is an offence for any person under the age of 17 to buy or hire a crossbow or part of a crossbow.

Section 3 - (Possession): It is an offence for any person under the age of 17 to have with him a crossbow which is capable of discharging a missile, or parts of a crossbow which together can be assembled to form a crossbow capable of discharging a missile.

linked: You do not need a license to use or own a crossbow and with proper use they can be great fun to use, especially with a group of friends on private property. However, you do need to be aware that their misuse can get both you and those around you into an awful lot of trouble.

This is where my daughter bought hers from

This is the one she bought

Last edited by greenleaf; 21-01-2008 at 03:29 PM.
greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
steevo
Inactive

Greenleaf, what does "red dot" mean when in a desription of the crossbow, does it mean it has a red laser for when you are aiming ? Also, are all bolts a standard size ?

My other half is always saying we should go to do abit of archery in our lesuire time (she used to do archery in her youth) but crossbows LOOK more appealing to me and are not as big to carry round I guess.
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
them

I would suggest having a look at the Barnett site as a starting point, then you can get some ideas about what type of bow might suit you before broadening your search elsewhere.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/comp...bows/index.asp

Old 21-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
greenleaf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Greenleaf, what does "red dot" mean when in a desription of the crossbow, does it mean it has a red laser for when you are aiming ? Also, are all bolts a standard size ? .
Red Dot is the laser sighting and there are different types.. we just have a cheap one, but you can get triple light laser.... The Bolts are various sizes... we use little 10" at about £6 a pack of 10(but we do have some 6 " and if you are willing to pay a few ££$$ then you can get Carbon Impact XLT Ultra Bolt 20"..too pricey for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
My other half is always saying we should go to do abit of archery in our lesuire time (she used to do archery in her youth) but crossbows LOOK more appealing to me and are not as big to carry round I guess.
I think my daughters first one was about 80lb...now her new one is about 150lb... A lot better than the 200 + ones when it was done a few years ago..
Old 21-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
steevo
Inactive

Thanks for the info Greenleaf
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
northernmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleaf View Post
This is the one she bought
Do you reckon that is powerfull enough to kill a deer? £70 seems a good price, don't see the point in spending £300+ if thats good enough for hunting.

Last edited by northernmonkey; 21-01-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 21-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
greenleaf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
Do you reckon that is powerfull enough to kill a deer? £70 seems a good price, don't see the point in spending £300+ if thats good enough for hunting.
you could kill whatever moved with this baby..

from their page
Description

FEATURES:
FIELD TO USE 110 YARDS
NOT A TOY......
IF YOU WANT ADDITIONAL ACCESSORIES YOU CAN JUST BUY THEM!!!
Safety mechanism
Auto safety when cocking
ARROWS GO 200+ fps AT 110 YARDS WITH pinpoint accuracy
REGULAR CROSSBOW DRAW WEIGHT 150LBS WITH 1 FIBERGLASS BOW 2 ALUMINUM ARROWS. THIS IS A HIGH POWER CROSSBOW INTENDED TO BE USED BY THOSE WHO ARE 18 OR OVER.

HUNTING
SHOOTING PRACTICE
HOME PROTECTION
FUN
CAMPING
YOU ARE LOOKING AT OFFICIAL CROSSBOW PACKED
IN THE BOX THAT COMES WITH 2 METAL ARROWS IN THE BOX PACKED..
Old 21-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
northernmonkey

What size arrows does it use?, so I know what to stock up on.
Old 22-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
cloudgazer
Banned

Get a recurve bow! Because these you can actually make yourself, if you learn from a survival book or probably online too. These are the more primitive bows and I know that if you buy one you can get up to at least 45 lbs. draw weight. I have one that is only 30-35 draw weight, but that is enough to kill. You just have to be closer and stealthy than if you had a crossbow or a compound bow.
cloudgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
cruise4

Recurves are also easier to re-string in the wild and there are designs where the bow folds down against the handle. Others have a stock that can be used for rapid re-pull. Not that I'm in any way an expert.

I have heard that the small pistol type bows have a problem with the arrows being so small they can be pulled off flight unless really close. Anyone know more about this?

Last edited by cruise4; 22-01-2008 at 10:18 AM.
cruise4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
swoarg

i would hurry up an get one the way things are going they will soon be illegal as for shooting animals if you have no expeirence then i would look at making traps you would probably starve before getting to within killing range of a dear with a crossbow or a bow
swoarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
joyful

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
A 250lb one is recommended for deer.
joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
cloudgazer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoarg View Post
i would hurry up an get one the way things are going they will soon be illegal as for shooting animals if you have no expeirence then i would look at making traps you would probably starve before getting to within killing range of a dear with a crossbow or a bow
This is a good point. Traps are essential. I know that hunting the "predator way" like stalking an animal, takes a lot of stealth. I think if you wait up in a tree, that is another way, but then you still have to wait around for a while. It's a good idea to figure out deer paths and where the herds go and when. Around my house deer tend to follow the same paths every year actually. Yes deer walk through my yard frequently, and I don't even live in a true rural area.

A simple trap is digging a deep hole in the ground and then covering the surface with twigs, dead grass, whatever, to make it appear like a flat surface.

Thinking about this makes me sad for whatever animal falls into the trap tho
Old 22-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
mindsplinter

Good point about the traps, Cloudgazer, there's also a simple and inexpensive trap called a snare. These days they're fashioned from steal rope and set in well tracked areas attached to trees. They aren't dangerous to humans because they're easy to get out of but rabbits, and deer panic and become trapped. Not a pleasant thing to discuss but then is when you use the cross bow, a very fine tool with no sound. the preceeding is for informational purposes and does not reflect the views of this writer
Old 22-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
cloudgazer
Banned

Thanks for the info mindsplinter. Here's another thing you may or may not know about. Atlatls or spear-throwers. Here's a video of one being used. Tho I can't get it to work because I'm using linux not windows, and you need quicktime for this.

http://www.atlatl.com/atlatlvideo.html

Quote:
Under acceleration by the Atlatl, the Dart flexes and compresses like a spring, storing energy to be used to push itself away from the Atlatl and launching at velocities that easily exceed 100 mph.
Old 22-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
swoarg

if we ever end up in a situation in the uk were we have to find our own food then i should think there will be alot of people that will starve to death theres not many peeps in the uk know how to gut an cook a fish never mind a deer
but if i had a choice i would go for the cross bow
warning deer being killed

Last edited by swoarg; 22-01-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 23-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
them

I think that Deer would be the target of a settled hunter or one with many mouths to feed.

If you're on the move (as would be sensible in desperate times) killing a Deer would be pointless. Unless you're starving and after a quick fix, or, as above, have many mouths to feed.

Birds are the the way forward in the UK. Enough to keep an individual going without unnecessary waste, easy enough to carry if you have to move fast.

There's a good reason why most archaeological fire pits contain the bones of Birds & Fish.. we should learn the lessons left in our past. The big game hunters in antiquity were settled with whole communities to feed.

You can imagine your partners face upon your return from a hunting trip as you lug a Deer back into your camp whilst trying to avoid anarchists, meatheads, thugs, villains, ex-military and roaming bands of vagabonds!

"What the fuck am I supposed to do with that?"

They might say..

"Why didn't you catch a fucking Wood Pigeon?"

Last edited by them; 23-01-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: you
them is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
swoarg

wood pigeon tastes great but they take some shooting they must have a sixth sense air rifle for me is a great tool for pigeons not sure if that foto is a wood pigeon though the town pigeons taste a bit bitter aperantly
Old 23-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoarg View Post
wood pigeon tastes great but they take some shooting they must have a sixth sense air rifle for me is a great tool for pigeons not sure if that foto is a wood pigeon though the town pigeons taste a bit bitter aperantly
Being able to successfully hunt Wood Pigeons with a weapon is a great measure of ones hunting ability

I would always go for trapping in a survival scenario and although the Larsen trap in the link below is very robust, it indicates how easily they could be constructed on a smaller scale.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/s...rsen-trap.html

You can also prop a cage up (shopping basket) on a bit of wood with string attached. Bait the area underneath the trap and wait until a bird (any bird in a survival situation) walks in before pulling on the string to close the trap.