Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
spyroid
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 805
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yass View Post


Blimey, it's a portable house Possibly a bit too large for one person in the woods, that. It'd be great on a campsite though.

Going to kit myself out in a couple of weeks time, going to go for the Vango I mentioned previously, I think, tent wise. Saying that, I'm loving the look of hunter77s setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post



been wild camping this weekend, testing out the new hammock, passed with flying colours
That looks fantastic. I'm there. It's been years since gone the hammock route. Mmmm, desicions...
spyroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
yass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9,551
Likes: 10 (8 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyroid View Post
Blimey, it's a portable house Possibly a bit too large for one person in the woods, that. It'd be great on a campsite though.

Going to kit myself out in a couple of weeks time, going to go for the Vango I mentioned previously, I think, tent wise. Saying that, I'm loving the look of hunter77s setup.



That looks fantastic. I'm there. It's been years since gone the hammock route. Mmmm, desicions...
Yes, it would be totally impractical I'm sure. Only thing with the hammock it would depend on trees to suspend it between eh? I like the way it's enclosed to keep bugs and critters at bay, and the tarp(s) he put up in the area over it for protection from the elements. It's a nifty little set-up.
__________________
:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:··:*¨¨*:·:*¨ ¨*:··:*¨¨*:

You've been up all night just listening for his drum
Hoping that the righteous might just might just might just might just come
I heard the general whispering to his aide de camp
Be watchful for Mohammed's lamp

Last edited by yass; 15-05-2011 at 08:05 PM.
yass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
peabrain
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 4,682
Likes: 1,652 (856 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post



been wild camping this weekend, testing out the new hammock, passed with flying colours
Cool setup , a proper home from home.
peabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post



been wild camping this weekend, testing out the new hammock, passed with flying colours
nice looking camp , you look cold in woolly hat and gloves but thats summer here
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #25
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yass View Post
Yes, it would be totally impractical I'm sure. Only thing with the hammock it would depend on trees to suspend it between eh? I like the way it's enclosed to keep bugs and critters at bay, and the tarp(s) he put up in the area over it for protection from the elements. It's a nifty little set-up.
hammock setups arent really suited to uk weather and the system of hammock and tarp is heavier than most lightweight tents without anywhere near as much weather protection , if you do decide on hammock setup weather becomes a major issue as you will need extra clothing and insulation to compensate in winter months you would end up buying a tent or staying indoors in all but perfect conditions ,
in high summer under the tarp becomes an insect trap midges and all sorts make it home this alsao happens under a tents flysheet but your locked away from it in the inner or if using single skin you dont get the bug problem .

my advice is buy one from a shop you can return it and try it out in wind and rain if you like keep if you dont take it back .
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
hunter77
Premier Subscribers
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,110
Likes: 3 (1 Post)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannox View Post
hammock setups arent really suited to uk weather and the system of hammock and tarp is heavier than most lightweight tents without anywhere near as much weather protection , if you do decide on hammock setup weather becomes a major issue as you will need extra clothing and insulation to compensate in winter months you would end up buying a tent or staying indoors in all but perfect conditions ,
in high summer under the tarp becomes an insect trap midges and all sorts make it home this alsao happens under a tents flysheet but your locked away from it in the inner or if using single skin you dont get the bug problem .

my advice is buy one from a shop you can return it and try it out in wind and rain if you like keep if you dont take it back .
the hammock is as light as a tent, has a great mossie net and is very warm.

i was camping on a moor in the peak disrtict, 1100 ft or so above sea level. hence the hat and gloves. the temp got down to 4 degrees on sat night and never got above 10 all day, but i was nice and toastie in my sleeping bag and bivvy bag. just had a foil roll mat underneath me reflect my heat back in. it's also alot comfier than sleeping on a roll matt.

i own several tents , but unless it get stupidly cold , it,s the hammock all the way for me from now on.
__________________
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
spyroid
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 805
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannox View Post
hammock setups arent really suited to uk weather and the system of hammock and tarp is heavier than most lightweight tents without anywhere near as much weather protection , if you do decide on hammock setup weather becomes a major issue .
Yeah, I just find hammocks comfortable. Not being so enclosed is pleasant, and I already have a couple of tarps. A tents definitely more versatile, weather wise yeah, and like yass says, you're not reliant on trees.

If it was just about being relatively local, in good weather for a day or two, I'd go the hammock route personally. Loads of nice wooded spots and hills around here.
spyroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #28
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post
the hammock is as light as a tent, has a great mossie net and is very warm.

i was camping on a moor in the peak disrtict, 1100 ft or so above sea level. hence the hat and gloves. the temp got down to 4 degrees on sat night and never got above 10 all day, but i was nice and toastie in my sleeping bag and bivvy bag. just had a foil roll mat underneath me reflect my heat back in. it's also alot comfier than sleeping on a roll matt.

i own several tents , but unless it get stupidly cold , it,s the hammock all the way for me from now on.
is that a camping chair a box of wine and beer can
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyroid View Post
Yeah, I just find hammocks comfortable. Not being so enclosed is pleasant, and I already have a couple of tarps. A tents definitely more versatile, weather wise yeah, and like yass says, you're not reliant on trees.

If it was just about being relatively local, in good weather for a day or two, I'd go the hammock route personally. Loads of nice wooded spots and hills around here.
thats my thoughts awell , i just wouldnt tell anyone to go out in the uk in a hammock ive done it and its not pleasant if weather turns , a hammock setup is
competant shelter in the right conditions theres no denying it but uk weather can change quickly and nothing ruins a weekend trip like being rained out or cold we do get good runs of decent weather but up in the hills of scotland theres micro climates that make them a too much of a gamble for me ,
hunter seems to have found a good moorland spot with decidious trees (few birch there i see ) that kind of spot up here is almost unheard of .

to rely on a hammock in the cairngorms or trossachs for example would be a nightmare and in winter akin to suicide but at relatively low level and in sheltered areas ok , realistically speaking buy a hammock and you will buy a tent if you like wild camping so why buy twice ,
its a complicated and emotional subject bit like motorbike vs car id rather not dwell on it too much theres plenty of hammock threads people can make their own minds up .

sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #30
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

clothing wise remember base layers even in summer these can be worn as nightwear or the top as a t shirt combined with a softshell jkt the two can be almost all the insulation you need but an added fleece is worth taking and its light ,
in summer sandals are great , no socks , walk through puddles streams etc without concerns about drying boots take your boots unless unless you know were your going though !
things i consider important in base layers -
cotton imo should be avoided like the plague (personal thing )
its heavy its not wind or water resistant and its slow drying
theres poly cotton mixes that are great and technical synthetics that are superb silk is good expensive ,

i tend to down the line of softshell , base layer , shorts and sandals ,
in all but bad weather
in my pack is spare fleece and trousers ,
im not waterproof but i am quick to dry and well insulated
(if weather closed in up goes tent or i use footprint as a cover but rarely )
two pairs of socks one to wear one to wash or rinse out in a stream dry inside flysheet ot hang on your pack were they dry in no time as you walk (to avoid awckward questions or stares choose your time eh ),
winter or colder conditions require a different setup .

Last edited by sannox; 16-05-2011 at 12:40 AM.
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #31
hunter77
Premier Subscribers
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,110
Likes: 3 (1 Post)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannox View Post
is that a camping chair a box of wine and beer can
the camping chair was my mates, i never take one if iam hiking as my 100ltr pack already heavy enough when full. iam sat on some piled up rocks , covered in spagnum moss with a seat mat on top. it is a box of wine though i allways take a bin liner with me though and take all rubbish home a must imo can't be doing with litter.
__________________
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough

Last edited by hunter77; 16-05-2011 at 01:00 AM.
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #32
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post
the camping chair was my mates, i never take one if iam hiking as my 100ltr pack already heavy enough when full. iam sat on some piled up rocks , covered in spagnum moss with a seat mat on top. it is a box of wine though i allways take a bin liner with me though and take all rubbish home a must imo can't be doing with litter.
some say luxuries arent allowed on wild camping but hey if your hauling them why not
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #33
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

weathers not looking good right now for next 7 days north of glasgow , if planning a trip out be warned winds gusting to 20mph heavy rain around drymen area and beyound , few cycle tourers spotted in glasgow central this morning
so weathers not stopping the campers , brave people
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #34
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

wild/stealth camping ?

wild is out there stuff self sufficiency stuff were you carry in what you need to live in the wilder remote spots in the countryside ,
stealth camping is when you basically hide camped up on a roundabout or anywhere unseen .

the two merge or the line is blurred you can wild stealth camp but pure wild camping means you have nobody nearby to hide from so there you have it
the popular definition of the two , by no means clear and still open to debate
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #35
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

camouflage patterned clothing and coverings might look cool but if your in difficulty you wont be spotted easily from the air (you will be spotted but it wont make emergency services job any easier if your hiding )
drab colours blend into countryside but take along a reflective material or reversible material a bright s bag or s mat ids ideal as by day its under cover but can be placed outside if needed to guide in help .

dark colours absorb heat all very well in colder weather but in high summer it can be torture (best sleep without tent flysheet in warmer conditions or with only mesh door closed fly door open ) , light greens red blue are good choices for outer coverings .
likewise a reversible jkt is ideal or emergency shelter , even in high summer weather can change dramatically and accidents at altitude or in remote areas is life threatening remember your not playing hide n seek
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #36
hunter77
Premier Subscribers
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,110
Likes: 3 (1 Post)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannox View Post
wild/stealth camping ?

wild is out there stuff self sufficiency stuff were you carry in what you need to live in the wilder remote spots in the countryside ,
stealth camping is when you basically hide camped up on a roundabout or anywhere unseen .

the two merge or the line is blurred you can wild stealth camp but pure wild camping means you have nobody nearby to hide from so there you have it
the popular definition of the two , by no means clear and still open to debate
the two definately merge in england as you do not have the same rights as scotland so basicaly they are the same, although the more remote you go the less stealth required good point you made there sannox
__________________
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough

Last edited by hunter77; 17-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #37
darkskyeye
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 32
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default wayland

http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/travel.html

some handy links and knowledge
darkskyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #38
sannox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,589
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkskyeye View Post
http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/travel.html

some handy links and knowledge
vg ,
he makes a good point about the amount of gear in shops , some find it daunting and often become reliant on the salesman .
sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #39
evenflow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 289
Likes: 1 (1 Post)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell ess dee View Post
Me and a mate actually done this last friday. He had the tent and a wicked trangia camping stove (well recommended), i had to buy sleeping bag.

£5 from sports direct, done the job perfectly.

Four mile slog on foot, not easy when it were nearly uphill and sixty pounds on your back in 25C+ heat. Had to stop three times, getting too old for it.. Nearly 2 gallons of water, plus a crate of lager don't help either.

Was in a pretty remote area in wilts, could see miles and I mean miles, beautiful location.

Plenty of wood around, dug a hole in ground, and got the fire going around 7pm, was burning well till 3am..

Lager out, wind up radio on, jacket potatoes done properly, perfectly clear night, stargazing for what seemed eons - good old times.

Just a few ashes in the ground in the morning, covered up most of it, wouldn't even know anyone was there..

Aint done it for at least 20 years, need to go again - love it.
Oh wow....that sounds just what i need. I havent been proper camping for years either...im 47 now so need to get up and go!!

Just worried about my back on that hard floor..lol
__________________
The selfish, they're all standing in line
Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
Me, I figure as each breath goes by
I only own my mind
~ Eddie Vedder
evenflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #40
hunter77
Premier Subscribers
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,110
Likes: 3 (1 Post)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
Oh wow....that sounds just what i need. I havent been proper camping for years either...im 47 now so need to get up and go!!

Just worried about my back on that hard floor..lol
get a thermalite sleeping mat i sleep better on one of those than i do a mattress, keeps you off the floor, insulated and nice and comfy
__________________
"ok, squirrels have lovely fluffy tails and can perform clever tricks to nick the food off your bird table. But they are a damn nuisance, there is plenty of them and they happen to be delicious, I say, lets eat them " HFW

if you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough
hunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.