Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat > Forum Talent / Promote Yourself

Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
oneriver

Default I could have been a rock god..

Irish band Zoom Kitchen were formed in 1991 and went on to win the 1992 battle of the bands at County level (Ireland) , the prize was some studio time to record an EP.

The recording studios were deep in the Irish countryside at a an old farm which had recording studios in the converted outhouses and accommodation for visiting artists/crew etc.

We stayed 2 nights I think and recorded 5 or 6 tunes. The production is sketchy, the tunes (which I sing) were all originals based on some of my "poetry"

The end results were really only 'demo' quality and we could have/should have rehearsed more and drunk/smoked less , but it was an interesting experience and something I can threaten my children with showing to their friends if needs be!

There was some subsequent interest from a few labels but in the end no offer

“Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?" That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere and that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future.” ? Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Y Gwir Erbyn Y Byd ("Truth Against the World") - Druidic Motto
oneriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
reverendjim
Inactive

thats cool man. my brother and i had a band when we were teens. then he went off to school and i kept playing. never went far. some bars and dances. its neat looking back. i still play. more styles now though. and recording is fun. so easy to do now. almost impossible back then. well, at least around here.
reverendjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
elshaper
Inactive

which one are you?

reverendjim plays cool blues and fiddle. Not at the same time obviously.

I have a video of the band I was in but I dare tell ya. Once upon a time, when I played with chart topping guys.

Last edited by elshaper; 07-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
reverendjim
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaper View Post
which one are you?

I have a video of the band I was in but I dare tell ya. Once upon a time, when I played with chart topping guys.
i'm workin on it....
reverendjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjim View Post
i'm workin on it....
Old 07-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
the mighty zhiba
Inactive

Quote:
which one are you?

were you the blonde one in the original Fankie Goes To Hollywood?

Last edited by the mighty zhiba; 07-06-2017 at 10:13 PM.
the mighty zhiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mighty zhiba View Post
were you the blonde one in the original Fankie Goes To Hollywood?
no...
Old 08-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
elshaper
Inactive

Great quote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lU...utu.be&t=1m11s
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
oneriver

Quote:
which one are you?

Seeing as I have been willing to humiliate myself here I think you should post your own 'rock nostalgia' video We could have a DI battle of the bands..

I am second from left.
“Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?" That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere and that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future.” ? Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneriver View Post
Seeing as I have been willing to humiliate myself here I think you should post your own 'rock nostalgia' video We could have a DI battle of the bands..

I am second from left.
ah that's what I thought, cute

Video is somewhere on utube....
Actually thinking back and knowing what I know now, I'm glad I didn't become 'famous', I prefer the privacy and not stopped by people asking for your photograph or autograph. Living in London, I meet many famous people like when they are shopping in supermarkets but I never start taking pictures etc. But one time, I met this rock god and I wanted to tell him about a documentary which I really liked. He bought me a dinner. I'd imagine people would pay 1000s just to have one on one dinner. I won't tell who it is though.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
oneriver

Quote:
I won't tell who it is though.
That's just mean

Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
oneriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjim View Post
thats cool man. my brother and i had a band when we were teens. then he went off to school and i kept playing. never went far. some bars and dances. its neat looking back. i still play. more styles now though. and recording is fun. so easy to do now. almost impossible back then. well, at least around here.
What sort of stuff did you play?

Someone mentioned the blues, it was the first thing that really grabbed me by the throat and shook me hard. I grew up listening to my mother's original 1950/60 rock and roll albums and so much of classic rock n roll is just 12 bar blues so got turned on in a big way to blues early on.

I play a bit of harp too..

Last edited by oneriver; 09-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 19-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
ronisron
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneriver View Post

I am second from left.
Good for you. Those are the fun times. At this point in my life I know I was not cut out for the business. Not at all. I had a lot of offers to do sexual favors for people at that time and never at any other time in my life. I told a manager at FELDMAN AND ASSOCIATES (there I said it) who was scouting us that I was willing to kiss a little ass but I certainly wasn't smoking the pole for anyone... He told me I'd never get anywhere with an attitude like that.... meeting over.

I posted a few horrible live videos on here from a show here I was " being unprofessional" in the sense that I was drinking, toking and on the advice of the drummer, took some mushroom stems to "stay awake". It's too bad, because I haven't been able to get the good footage of our band at Music West '95 ( we were voted one of the Top 5 acts that year by the organizers... toot toot!) where we rocked and as a bonus were very professional. The Foo Fighters debuted at that festival, there were over 300 bands. This was pre cell phone and everyone recording shows that way.

I like playing music, I'm having a bad guitar day though... I don't like it. I really enjoyed gigging but as I said the fun goes away once you become a record company employee, and unless you sell millions and millions of records, you'll be broke and in debt. Now it's all based on the strength of your live show and the quality of merch you peddle at the show. That's where the money is. Recorded music is even less of an income now, no matter how many downloads you sell.

Ron, the unprofessional singer, at work.

ronisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
white light

I released a couple of independent CD's that got rave reviews in the UK music press. A couple of famous-ish bands were directly influenced by it, but I'm a useless businessman (I don't schmooze), and didn't get more than a handful of sales. I won't say what it were called though, 'cos I like to keep that side of my affairs private, for now. Yeah, I'm glad I didn't get famous though. My ego is big enough as it is. Lol.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote