Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 23-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
them

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoarg View Post
not sure if that foto is a wood pigeon though the town pigeons taste a bit bitter aperantly
It is a Wood Pigeon. The Pigeons you find in town are, in fact, Doves

Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus

Rock Dove Columba livia

All of the 'Pigeons' you see in towns are feral relatives of the Rock Dove.
Old 23-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
swoarg

thanks for that info that might explain why they dont tast nice wood pigeon is one of the most tastiest birds i have had take the breast off dice season an pan fry yum yum
swoarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #23
swoarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post

Being able to successfully hunt Wood Pigeons with a weapon is a great measure of ones hunting ability

ur not wrong there hunting a pigeon with a standed powerd air rifle takes alot of skill an stealf but good sport and practise for if that day ever comes not to sure about eating any bird though i think seagulls an adult crows are of the menu not that have tried them but i am sure there not good to eat
swoarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
danucrom
Banned

You can make your own high power crossbow that will put a bolt through a solid door with a leaf spring and a bit of know how.
danucrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
cheeney1
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
As guns are not legal here in the UK, I am thinking about buying a crossbow for self defense and hunting if I needed to in the future. Can anyone reccomend a good crossbow and how effective are they compared to a gun?
I Recommend The Barnett Predator.......150 Pound Breaking Strain but remember get yourself a crossbow .a compound Bow you arm it yourself with just pulling the bow string back

The One i had, had came with a lever big pain in the Arse For Reloading Quickly.........
cheeney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
mido
Banned

Let's ban crossbows
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
cheeney1
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
Let's ban crossbows

lets ban All free thinking...................
cheeney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #28
joyful

Let's hang people who suggest disarming the citizenry. Hitler did it, Stalin did it, Mao Tse Tueng did it, and guess what, they then killed millions of people who could now not defend themselves against the outlaw government. I think one evil/deluded gun ban supporter is worth sacrificing for the life and liberty of 80,000,000 people.

Last edited by joyful; 19-03-2008 at 09:29 PM.
joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #29
empyblessing
Inactive

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The guns in the hands of the American people create the largest standing army in the world. An invasion by force of mainland America is impossible. I believe that this amendment is what is holding the darkness at bay, not only in America but throughout the world. Without firearms in the hands of the good people, only the evil ones will have them. It is the only reason I'm an American.

I'm not familiar with crossbows, but have you considered a tazer for protection?
empyblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #30
homebrew1973

Sorry for raking up an old thread as it were but I`d thought I`d add my tuppence ha`penny worth (if that)..

I`ve recently got a pistol crossbow which has a draw weight of 80lb and shoots at 160 feet per second and I`m not joking when I say it`s powerful! I mean shooting straight through sheets of hardwood from 30 feet away then being embedded into a solid wall in my flat certainly makes you think.. cost less than £30 though Now if only kids weren`t on their summer holidays I could take it to nearby woodland for target practice.
homebrew1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #31
element
Inactive

Wow, it's just incredible to see the amount of demoniac influence some people have gotten.
Hunting animals for no reason!
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
homebrew1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by element View Post
Wow, it's just incredible to see the amount of demoniac influence some people have gotten.
Hunting animals for no reason!
From a personal point of view I didn`t get it for hunting animals. The nearest I`ll ever get to that would be to use it in non-lethal self-defence in this flat against burglars and such like. One thing that worries me regarding them though was the mindset of an old mate visiting me the other day and after he beat me at my "makeshift shooting gallery" asked to borrow it to shoot a convicted paedophile I of course said NO.

It`s for target practice at things like empty cans and maybe even pictures of people I don`t like (for a giggle and certainly to remove a little frustration )
homebrew1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #33
none
Inactive

I bought this one >> http://www.buydefenderblades.com/c=f..._Crossbow.html <<
For someone on a budget, it's not too expensive and boy, is it powerfull! I bought mine for hunting (when the time comes that we have to), and for personal/family protection (when the time comes that we need it).
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #34
the itinerant shrubber

I was looking into buying a crossbow recently but then thought better of it. I used to have a pistol crossbow that I used to take pheasent with.
You need to spend a good 3-400 quid on a decent hunting crossbow like this one.http://www.redrae.co.uk/barnett_cros...ution_page.htm
This is what you need to hunt Deer and Rabbit.For rabbit it needs to be especially powerful.The more powerful the crossbow,the shorter the time between the rabbit hearing the quarrel loose and the quarrel hitting it. If you have a slow crossbow,you'll just end up hitting the ground where the rabbit was just a second ago before it took off.

I decided against a crossbow in the end becouse its impractical for long-term survival.Too many moving parts to go wrong and would need replacing plus its not easy making your own quarrels.
Instead I'm getting this http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/acatal...d_Archery.html
60lb draw weight plus its a take-down. Arrows are easy to fashion and I'm going to order broadheads from the states.
Remember,if you want to hunt deer,you need a modern broadhead which will cause massive heamoraging and take the deer down quickly. A target quarrel or arrow will suffice for rabbit and bird.
I've always been into archery and a bow is a much simpler weapon and elegant weapon and shafts and fletchings are straightforward to make once you get the knack. Hunting large game is also more humane than a rifle alot of the time.
the itinerant shrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #35
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the itinerant shrubber View Post
I was looking into buying a crossbow recently but then thought better of it. I used to have a pistol crossbow that I used to take pheasent with.
You need to spend a good 3-400 quid on a decent hunting crossbow like this one.http://www.redrae.co.uk/barnett_cros...ution_page.htm
This is what you need to hunt Deer and Rabbit.For rabbit it needs to be especially powerful.The more powerful the crossbow,the shorter the time between the rabbit hearing the quarrel loose and the quarrel hitting it. If you have a slow crossbow,you'll just end up hitting the ground where the rabbit was just a second ago before it took off.

I decided against a crossbow in the end becouse its impractical for long-term survival.Too many moving parts to go wrong and would need replacing plus its not easy making your own quarrels.
Instead I'm getting this http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/acatal...d_Archery.html
60lb draw weight plus its a take-down. Arrows are easy to fashion and I'm going to order broadheads from the states.
Remember,if you want to hunt deer,you need a modern broadhead which will cause massive heamoraging and take the deer down quickly. A target quarrel or arrow will suffice for rabbit and bird.
I've always been into archery and a bow is a much simpler weapon and elegant weapon and shafts and fletchings are straightforward to make once you get the knack. Hunting large game is also more humane than a rifle alot of the time.
So I have just wasted my money on the crossbow I bought?

Last edited by none; 05-08-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #36
stickwhistler

Quote:
Depends if you practice or not.
Don't practice and the answer is yes.

The advantage with a crossbow is that it is easier for a
relatively untrained person to be accurate enough to .....

I shoot 40lb take-down re curve for club target practice,
with all the rods, weights and balances etc and have actually
won competitions, and came 6th to a national champion,
only 60 points in between us, so I'm a bit good
I also have my own target range of 50 metres to play in.

I also shoot a 70lb Grozer recurve one piece bare bow.

If gnats had nuts, I could shoot the left or right one at 18 metres,
with the target bow.
The Grozer = not so accurate, but lots of fun, and quicker to get to use,
grouping within say 5 cm at 18 metres.

Both the above take practice everyday.
At least 3 dozen arrows every day!
Even a couple of days away = larger grouping
e.g. from a tea plate to a dinner plate at 50 metres.

I also have a crossbow - 150lb.
I'm not too fussed over the accuracy because it's fun,
and other people can get on target with it fairly quickly
i.e. 10 minutes practice, and they can shoot it well enough.

A bow takes a lot longer to get as good.

Also if you're going hunting,
when you draw the bow, I'll bet your prey goes away.
The crossbow can be cocked for hours, and shot without
any movement from you - except your finger

So - horses for courses!
The crossbow won't take anywhere near the practice a bow will.
So if you haven't got time to shoot a bow every day,
a crossbow can be left for weeks, and you'll still either
hit or get a near miss, which may be good enough
e.g. a shot to the shoulder may hit the head or abdomen.
If you stay within say 50 metres, the arrow/bolt travels
faster than the speed of sound, so the target won't hear the twang.

Two other points.
1) Hunting with bows is illegal in the UK.

2) Don't shoot a bird in a tree unless you like climbing
'cos it'll get pinned there - you'll lose your arrow/bolt and yer supper
If you had to shoot a bird in a tree - use a blunt to knock it out
of the tree, and collect it from the ground.

To make crossbow bolts, use an aluminium arrow.
Cut it in half. You now have 2 bolts.
One with a pointy end, the other with vanes.
Buy another pointy bit for the vane ended one
and break the nock off.
Buy a nock and vanes for the pointy ended bolt.
Fit according to need.

Or ... see evilbay.
stickwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
marpat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
As guns are not legal here in the UK, I am thinking about buying a crossbow for self defense and hunting if I needed to in the future. Can anyone reccomend a good crossbow and how effective are they compared to a gun?
Why not get an air rifle. They are good enough to hunt small game with. I have used ones against pidgeon, rabbits, crows, squirrels, etc. If you get a springer or HE gas ram then you dont have to worry about pump gear. A crossbow is also limited in range but a standard 12ft/lb air rifle can easily kill a rabbit at 50m.
marpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #38
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickwhistler View Post
Depends if you practice or not.
Don't practice and the answer is yes.

The advantage with a crossbow is that it is easier for a
relatively untrained person to be accurate enough to .....

I shoot 40lb take-down re curve for club target practice,
with all the rods, weights and balances etc and have actually
won competitions, and came 6th to a national champion,
only 60 points in between us, so I'm a bit good
I also have my own target range of 50 metres to play in.

I also shoot a 70lb Grozer recurve one piece bare bow.

If gnats had nuts, I could shoot the left or right one at 18 metres,
with the target bow.
The Grozer = not so accurate, but lots of fun, and quicker to get to use,
grouping within say 5 cm at 18 metres.

Both the above take practice everyday.
At least 3 dozen arrows every day!
Even a couple of days away = larger grouping
e.g. from a tea plate to a dinner plate at 50 metres.

I also have a crossbow - 150lb.
I'm not too fussed over the accuracy because it's fun,
and other people can get on target with it fairly quickly
i.e. 10 minutes practice, and they can shoot it well enough.

A bow takes a lot longer to get as good.

Also if you're going hunting,
when you draw the bow, I'll bet your prey goes away.
The crossbow can be cocked for hours, and shot without
any movement from you - except your finger

So - horses for courses!
The crossbow won't take anywhere near the practice a bow will.
So if you haven't got time to shoot a bow every day,
a crossbow can be left for weeks, and you'll still either
hit or get a near miss, which may be good enough
e.g. a shot to the shoulder may hit the head or abdomen.
If you stay within say 50 metres, the arrow/bolt travels
faster than the speed of sound, so the target won't hear the twang.

Two other points.
1) Hunting with bows is illegal in the UK.

2) Don't shoot a bird in a tree unless you like climbing
'cos it'll get pinned there - you'll lose your arrow/bolt and yer supper
If you had to shoot a bird in a tree - use a blunt to knock it out
of the tree, and collect it from the ground.

To make crossbow bolts, use an aluminium arrow.
Cut it in half. You now have 2 bolts.
One with a pointy end, the other with vanes.
Buy another pointy bit for the vane ended one
and break the nock off.
Buy a nock and vanes for the pointy ended bolt.
Fit according to need.

Or ... see evilbay.
Thanks for all the info stickwhistler, I'll get practicing.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #39
the itinerant shrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
NO,it's just a personal rule of mine-if I cant fix it with without the need for modern equipment or services then I wont have it but as long as civilisation is still together there's no reason why a crossbow wont last a lifetime.

Stickwhistler made a good point concerning that when you draw the bow,the quarry might flee. With a crossbow,you can hunt like it were a rifle.With a bow it does take alot more skill but I think the effort is worth it. With a bow you have to learn to trust stalk. This is how I used to hunt. It requires that you stay in one area for a good few hours and let all the animals accept you as a non-threat.
I've had Hare,deer,Pheasent and foxes walk up to me.Fellow predators like foxes have walked past me with a pigeon in their mouths and given me what we humans would call a friendly nod and carried on their business.

With trust stalking you begin by moving a very small part of your body and then very,very gradually begin to make larger movement like scratching your face and act as if you're grazing,all the time ignoring the quarry. Your mind has to be filled with peace and love which in that environment is easy to do.You can even do it with humans.
Even if you dont hunt,this is the best way to understand and respect your fellow creatures. .Alot of primitive society's used this method and it's far more effective than striding through the forest arrogantly believing that you're superior to the creatures around you like the typical great,white hunter.
the itinerant shrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #40
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the itinerant shrubber View Post
NO,it's just a personal rule of mine-if I cant fix it with without the need for modern equipment or services then I wont have it but as long as civilisation is still together there's no reason why a crossbow wont last a lifetime.

Stickwhistler made a good point concerning that when you draw the bow,the quarry might flee. With a crossbow,you can hunt like it were a rifle.With a bow it does take alot more skill but I think the effort is worth it. With a bow you have to learn to trust stalk. This is how I used to hunt. It requires that you stay in one area for a good few hours and let all the animals accept you as a non-threat.
I've had Hare,deer,Pheasent and foxes walk up to me.Fellow predators like foxes have walked past me with a pigeon in their mouths and given me what we humans would call a friendly nod and carried on their business.

With trust stalking you begin by moving a very small part of your body and then very,very gradually begin to make larger movement like scratching your face and act as if you're grazing,all the time ignoring the quarry. Your mind has to be filled with peace and love which in that environment is easy to do.You can even do it with humans.
Even if you dont hunt,this is the best way to understand and respect your fellow creatures. .Alot of primitive society's used this method and it's far more effective than striding through the forest arrogantly believing that you're superior to the creatures around you like the typical great,white hunter.
So.... will this cheap crossbow suffice for now, to learn with, until I can afford a 'better' one.
It seems/feels pretty powerful to my untrained senses. I guess I need to get out and try to get a few rabbitts and the like to find out for sure (I know hunting with a crossbow is illegal. I won't tell if you don't ).
And .... thank you for the information as well the itinerant shrubber. I am on a severely limited budget and this is the one I have for now, so I will have to do. Next I am saving up for a decent knife, then a couple of cast iron pans... then .....

Last edited by none; 06-08-2008 at 05:15 PM.