Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Astrology / Tarot / Numerology

Old 30-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
thirdwave
Premier Subscribers

Default What Tarot Deck?

The one I have is crap and kind of stops me useing them... I wana get a nice deck with a proper book to help me go into it more.... if anyone is clued up on this can you advice which one would be better for me?

1, Rider-Waite
2, Thoth
3, Golden Dawn

?
thirdwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
thirdwave
Premier Subscribers

just noticed this new room pops up just as im shopping for cards..... synchronicity?
Old 30-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
limelady
Inactive

Doesn't Tsarion have his own tarot deck TW?
limelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdwave View Post
The one I have is crap and kind of stops me useing them... I wana get a nice deck with a proper book to help me go into it more.... if anyone is clued up on this can you advice which one would be better for me?

1, Rider-Waite
2, Thoth
3, Golden Dawn

?
I started with the rider Waite deck in the early 80's .for beginners it is a good deck , does exactly what it says on the tin. The images are pretty self explanatory and you can read them without needing to refer to a book .Using your own intuition is always preferable ,as each card changes meaning in relation to the cards around it .It builds up in layers really . But rider Waite to start off with .If you are into astrology and symbolism more the Crowley Thoth deck is a very good one for those reasons .For example the 9 of coins is representative of Venus in Virgo as well as the card meaning .So therefore the astrological influences of those planets /signs come to bear on the reading .Also many people over the years want a specific time for the happenings indicated, this isn't always easy to give as "future" probability isn't set and is fluid .But referring to Venus in Virgo astrologically via an ephemeris can lock the meaning into that time frame , wether past or future , as we perceive it anyway .Each reader will interpret differently .I would read some books on the subject but dont try and retain the info to much as the subconscious stores it anyhow and it will surface when you need it . I read one book meaning for the tower and only ever used that particular meaning once several years later and it was spot on .Meditate each day on a new card and sleep with it under your pillow to get a feel for it .Learn the basics of the suits such as Coins = earth element ,finances stability . Swords =air ,intellect active mind deep thinking . Wands = fire dynamic person active .Cups =water ,sensitivity creative artistic nurturing . Also some of the major arcana represent sun signs Aries is the emperor Taurus the heirophant .This is useful to pinpoint certain times for situations or people of that sign .remember also that we have moon rising signs etc so that can take a bit of intuition to suss .Also some people can be emotional i.e cups without being a water sign birth sign .Hope that helps if you want any more info pm me .
2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
quickening666
Inactive

Quote:

1, Rider-Waite
2, Thoth
3, Golden Dawn

?
Well as someone who has used the tarot for years I would personally recommend the Thoth deck. If you want a deeper understanding of the cards then Aleister Crowley's "Book of Thoth" is essential but it is not very useful for practical use of the cards. For that, I STRONGLY recommend "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot" by Hajo Banzhaf and Brigitte Theler. It is the best companion book for the Thoth deck by a long shot and aside from "the Book of Thoth" itself is the only one you'll ever need.

Avoid the book "Tarot: Mirror of the Soul" like the plague. It contains no information of worth and worse, is flat out wrong in many places. For example the author states that the Emperors crossed legs (on the Emperor card naturally), represent the number 4 and therefore strength and fortification when Crowley himself is abundantly clear that it represents the alchemical symbol for Sulphur. So yes, avoid that book.

I have made two videos going through the Major and Minor Arcana of the Thoth deck which you might like to watch so you can see what the artwork on the cards is like. With the Major Arcana I also included Crowley's own keywords:

Major Arcana: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsL5hiXz-sI

Minor Arcana: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATCJaZe8HgU

If you go to my homepage on youtube I have set up a playlist for my tarot videos some of which you might find useful.

Last edited by quickening666; 30-04-2008 at 11:39 AM.
quickening666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
thirdwave
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelady View Post
Doesn't Tsarion have his own tarot deck TW?
I dont think so?

On his website he uses the Rider-Waite and Thoth cards to explain the meaning, He might do though..

I am interested as I have been looking at come pics of them and for some reason i seem to be getting them more... Tsarion once said, "its very easy, just look at the cards and what they mean" ... and if you get a good deck I think it helps...
Old 30-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
thirdwave
Premier Subscribers

Ok well going by what you guys and others have said ..its seems the Thoth Deck is very good but more for people who can go deeper into the cards... and the Rider-Waite is better to get used to them.... I might get the Thoth a little later...

I heard that the GD ones are cool to start out but there does not seem to be many about....

So I have just ordered these

which is basically the Rider-Waite deck that has been touched up, they looked great so thought I would make em mine....

Will let you know how I get on, might be able to do on line readings!

cheers for the links quickening666, and will check out that book!
Old 30-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
mr jones

i would say the raider-waite deck is more fortune telling based. the Thoth deck is WELL better and is more intellectually sound, the book of thoth (book) is absolutly jam packed with the meanings and understandings of the symbolism used in the cards - the tetragrammaton symbolism of the Court cards (knight, queen, prince and princess) is a great essay as is the essays on the fool card (the celtic Green Man of spring, parcival, sebek the crocodile, the fisher man (each essay is for a different level of initiate))
crowley also explains how the rider-waite deck has cards placed wrongly on purpose because of the promises they held to keep the secrets of the proper positions of the cards.
Get the Thoth Tarot because its alot better
mr jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
strife

I have a Rider-Waite and a Thoth deck and I definitely prefer the Thoth deck. I've also read the Book of Thoth which I found to be quite good.

I love the symbolism and general look on the Thoth deck cards, they're absolutely magnificent.

When I was researching which deck to get I ran across a few others that are also quite beautiful. Unfortunately, some of those are out of print now and likewise quite expensive. Though I believe they're worth whatever price it is worth to you, I couldn't get this one specific deck I wanted. Nevertheless, the Thoth deck is definitely great.
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #10

Some very good points re cards .As has been said it depends what you want them for as a fortune telling aid they work well and you can use ordinary playing cards Which stem from tarot for this purpose .But if you want to go a lot deeper and work on your self the crowley deck does give far greater insights and results .Im on my third crowley deck as ive given away a few different sets but always got another set given back to me .My original thoth decks where massive cards and most people couldnt get their hands around them to shuffle .I asked for a smaller version and a friend turned up with a pack given to him by a friend of his who knew it was my birthday and i needed them !! I use the monly occasionaly now .
2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
naga

Just to forewarn... I am very biased; the only deck I have and will ever use is Crowley's.

My mother was first introduced to Crowley’s deck when she was an active Rosicrucian back in the in the 60-70's. I started working with the deck when I was very little (8-10) and accompany my mother during readings. Crowley’s deck is so very layered with such a mired of ways to read and interpret. I just stared getting back into working with the deck again, cracking open all my books and still... even after all these years I continued to uncover so much knowledge behind this deck.

People have such a misconception of who Aleister Crowley was and unfortunately fear what they don’t understand ; if you don't get hung up on the negative image many uninformed people tried and continue to try to cast on this man who was a prophet and genius, you can appreciate the vast knowledge he, as well as, Lady Frieda Harris has imbued within the depths of this deck.

Just my own biased opinion-

One of my favorite cards, speaks to my Lunar Scorpio piece...

Waratah-Blossom

"Seven are the veils of the dancing-girl in the harem of IT.
Seven are the names, and seven are the lamps beside Her bed.
Seven eunuchs guard Her with drawn swords; No man may come nigh unto Her.
In Her wine-cup are seven streams of the blood of the Seven Spirits of God.
Seven are the heads of THE BEAST whereon She rideth.
The head of an Angel: the head of a Saint: the head of a Poet:
the head of an Adulterous Woman: the head of a Man of Valour: the head of a Satyr: and the head of a Lion-Serpent.
Seven letters hath Her holiest name; and it is

This is the Seal upon the Ring that is on the Forefinger of IT:
and it is the Seal upon the Tombs of them whom She hath slain,.
Here is Wisdom. Let him that hath Understanding count the Number of Our Lady; for it is the Number of a Woman; and Her Number is An Hundred and Fifty and Six..."

"There is in this card a divine drunkenness or ecstasy. The woman is shown as more than a little drunk, and more than a little mad; and the lion also is aflame with lust. This signifies that the type of energy described is of the primitive, creative order; it is completely independent of the criticism of reason. This card portrays the will of the Aeon. In the background are the bloodless images of the saints, on whom this image travels, for their whole life has been absorbed into the Holy’ Grail."

“Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest the Beast; and in his woman called the Scarlet Woman all power is given. They shall gather my children into their fold; they shall bring the glory of the stars into the hearts of men."

“For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight.”

“The charioteer speaks in a low, solemn voice, awe-inspiring, like a very large and very distant bell: Let him look upon the cup whose blood is mingled therein, for the wine of the cup is the blood of the saints. Glory unto the Scarlet Woman, Babylon the Mother of Abominations, that rideth upon the Beast, for she hath spilt their blood in every corner of the earth, and lo! she hath mingled it in the cup of her whoredom."

“With the breath of her kisses hath she fermented it, and it hath become the wine of the Sacrament, the wine of the Sabbath; and in the Holy Assembly hath she poured it out for her worshippers, and they have become drunken thereon, so that face to face have they beheld my Father. Thus are they made worthy to become partakers of the Mystery of this holy vessel, for the blood is the life. So sitteth she from age to age, and the righteous are never weary of her kisses, and by her murders and fornications she seduceth the world. Therein is manifested the glory of my Father, who is Truth. "

... and "possession" is 9/10th's of the law!

http://myspace.com/NagaGirl8

Last edited by naga; 30-04-2008 at 08:03 PM.
naga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
mr jones

i always wanted the Buckland Romani Tarot. maybe one day they'll reprint some decks.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/buckland-romani/
Old 30-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
mr jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
Just to forewarn... I am very biased; the only deck I have and will ever use is Crowley's.

My mother was first introduced to Crowley’s deck when she was an active Rosicrucian back in the in the 60-70's. I started working with the deck when I was very little (8-10) and accompany my mother during readings. Crowley’s deck is so very layered with such a mired of ways to read and interpret. I just stared getting back into working with the deck again, cracking open all my books and still... even after all these years I continued to uncover so much knowledge behind this deck.

People have such a misconception of who Aleister Crowley was and unfortunately fear what they don’t understand ; if you don't get hung up on the negative image many uninformed people tried and continue to try to cast on this man who was a prophet and genius, you can appreciate the vast knowledge he, as well as, Lady Frieda Harris has imbued within the depths of this deck.

Just my own biased opinion-

One of my favorite cards, speaks to my Lunar Scorpio piece...

Waratah-Blossom

"Seven are the veils of the dancing-girl in the harem of IT.
Seven are the names, and seven are the lamps beside Her bed.
Seven eunuchs guard Her with drawn swords; No man may come nigh unto Her.
In Her wine-cup are seven streams of the blood of the Seven Spirits of God.
Seven are the heads of THE BEAST whereon She rideth.
The head of an Angel: the head of a Saint: the head of a Poet:
the head of an Adulterous Woman: the head of a Man of Valour: the head of a Satyr: and the head of a Lion-Serpent.
Seven letters hath Her holiest name; and it is

This is the Seal upon the Ring that is on the Forefinger of IT:
and it is the Seal upon the Tombs of them whom She hath slain,.
Here is Wisdom. Let him that hath Understanding count the Number of Our Lady; for it is the Number of a Woman; and Her Number is An Hundred and Fifty and Six..."

"There is in this card a divine drunkenness or ecstasy. The woman is shown as more than a little drunk, and more than a little mad; and the lion also is aflame with lust. This signifies that the type of energy described is of the primitive, creative order; it is completely independent of the criticism of reason. This card portrays the will of the Aeon. In the background are the bloodless images of the saints, on whom this image travels, for their whole life has been absorbed into the Holy’ Grail."

“Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest the Beast; and in his woman called the Scarlet Woman all power is given. They shall gather my children into their fold; they shall bring the glory of the stars into the hearts of men."

“For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight.”

“The charioteer speaks in a low, solemn voice, awe-inspiring, like a very large and very distant bell: Let him look upon the cup whose blood is mingled therein, for the wine of the cup is the blood of the saints. Glory unto the Scarlet Woman, Babylon the Mother of Abominations, that rideth upon the Beast, for she hath spilt their blood in every corner of the earth, and lo! she hath mingled it in the cup of her whoredom."

“With the breath of her kisses hath she fermented it, and it hath become the wine of the Sacrament, the wine of the Sabbath; and in the Holy Assembly hath she poured it out for her worshippers, and they have become drunken thereon, so that face to face have they beheld my Father. Thus are they made worthy to become partakers of the Mystery of this holy vessel, for the blood is the life. So sitteth she from age to age, and the righteous are never weary of her kisses, and by her murders and fornications she seduceth the world. Therein is manifested the glory of my Father, who is Truth. "
naga, my birthday is august the 1st, does that card relate to me? i quess it would because of the sun,lion,leo. other than that is it important to leo?
Old 30-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jones View Post
naga, my birthday is august the 1st, does that card relate to me? i quess it would because of the sun,lion,leo. other than that is it important to leo?
Geez, that's a very open-ended question!

Are you speaking of the astrological connection representing by the card that is Leo (did your home work I see)- the sun sign which is your overall character/ego, or do you have a specific questions pertaining to the meaning and interpretation of this card in how you feel it speaks to you?

Naga

Old 30-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
quickening666
Inactive

I love the Lust card so much I use it as the wallpaper on my youtube homepage. You're not wrong about Crowley being misinterpreted and people fearing what they don't understand. Im sick of people attacking him despite never having read him or bothering to sort the truth from the lies.
quickening666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
naga

Default Off topic...

BTW Mr. Jones, you would not happan to be Welsh...? My mothers-mothers-grandparents came over from Wales, last name Jones

Old 30-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
naga

Awe... kindred spirits, nice to meet you

Once we realize that duality is a man made concept given birth to from out of a limited perspective (mass consciousness), we can the truly see the "whole" as it IS!

I AM that "IS" all that I AM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickening666 View Post
I love the Lust card so much I use it as the wallpaper on my youtube homepage. You're not wrong about Crowley being misinterpreted and people fearing what they don't understand. Im sick of people attacking him despite never having read him or bothering to sort the truth from the lies.

Old 30-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
thirdwave
Premier Subscribers

mmm *being careful not to attract you know who are start another Crowley debate...*

the way I see it... what ever person he was, and what ever skeletons he had in his closet... its clear he wanted to make a mark on the occult and certainly did that and was an intelligent man... I tend to believe that the vast majority of what was written about him was distorted or false... But I guess if there was a way of finding out for sure it would have been found out by now, so its up to ones own perception on him.

I will probably get the Thoth deck as well... but will get warmed up with these cards.... in the end I just looked at the cards and went with what ones triggered me more and the ones I have ordered did do that....

the Thoth art work is so great.. Im tempted to use it for some of my music art work...

Last edited by thirdwave; 30-04-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
naga

Quote:
mmm *being careful not to attract you know who are start another Crowley debate...*

the way I see it... what ever person he was, and what ever skeletons he had in his closet... its clear he wanted to make a mark on the occult and certainly did that and was an intelligent man... I tend to believe that the vast majority of what was written about him was distorted or false... But I guess if there was a way of finding out for sure it would have been found out by now, so its up to ones own perception on him.

I will probably get the Thoth deck as well... but will get warmed up with these cards.... in the end I just looked at the cards and went with what ones triggered me more and the ones I have ordered did do that....

the Thoth art work is so great.. Im tempted to use it for some of my music art work...
Yes, Lady Frieda Harris, being guided by Crowley, produced many magnificent pieces of art. As a child my mother had the huge original cards (not like the small ones in circulation today) and I use to sit a stare at them for hours on end. I'm going to be incorporating some symbols within tat.

Danny Carey from Tool is a collector of Crowley's stuff etc. Have you seen his drum kit?

"MD: On your bio page on the band's Web site [www.toolband.com] it
states that you set up your drums "in proportion to the circle and
square of the New Jerusalem," and it mentions The Book Of Thoth.

Danny: That's one of the cards from Crowley's Tarot deck. It has an
incredible wealth of information. There's so much packed into each
one of those cards."

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #20
chris

I don't do tarot readings but I would probably recommend the Golden Dawn version as well as the Thoth just because the GD is within tradition which goes back to Eliphias Levi when he placed the Tarot on the tree of life. Of course Crowley says he's the recincarnation of Levi but the GD is still consistant of that.

Crowleys differs from the GD because he was bringing in the new aeon and so has the Aeon card instead of the Angel card (I think)...Though his changes might differ situations, it doesn't mean that something is correct and the other is wrong.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote