Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Entertainment Industry

Old 11-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #101
the_ohmbudsman

Yehuda Hendrix was an intuitive player he could pick things up and create around them that was his creative talent. As is the case with many rock musicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
Miles Davis told a story about when the two of them jammed together. Miles said something about a diminished chord, to which Jimi responded with a lost, confused look. When Miles played it on the piano, Jimi imitated it immediately.

He wasn't aware of the names of chords and that kind of thing, but was highly knowledgeable at an innate level.

Last edited by the_ohmbudsman; 11-04-2018 at 08:56 PM.
the_ohmbudsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #102
decode reality
Inactive

Mainstream music used to have quite a lot of diversity of sound. Among other reasons, one factor for the uniformity of sound is the lack of any real alternative scene/"subculture", especially when you look at the British charts. The alternative scene used to be a 'feeding school' for the mainstream.

Money:
The lack of money flowing in the industry, especially at grassroots level, means it's much harder for emerging artists to get the live experience to develop their craft.

On the other hand, at some point record companies got more driven by money and chart placings, and it became all about trying to write hits by formula. Nothing wrong per se with an instantly recognisable sound - 60s Motown, for instance. But when the emphasis is more on attempting to cynically fit in rather than stand out, it means everything starts to sound even more samey than usual.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #103
decode reality
Inactive

Two great quotes from Wayne Shorter on how apparent obstacles posed by 'the music industry' can be a blessing in disguise:

"The corporations serve as a resistance to the creative process. But if you really kind of think of it, an airplane cannot take off without resistance. We have to find the jewel in what we call the enemy. That's called wisdom."

"I surely don’t blame record companies or other people for anything. As I said, I accept barriers as the resistance that I need to fly. It’s my duty to find out what other uses there are for things that seem immovable. Every obstacle is a potential enabler."
Old 10-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #104
the_ohmbudsman

I was listening to an interview with Clem Burke Blondie Drummer who spent time in the UK before and during punk said Dr Feelgood's first LPs were massive influence on forming Blondie, he took a copy back to New York and they often played it non-stop at parties in the early days of the band. So originality often comes from other sources, I can hear a lot of other ideas in Blondie now that I didn't hear at the time. So not as original as I first thought - in reterospect.

Last edited by the_ohmbudsman; 10-05-2018 at 03:41 PM.
the_ohmbudsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #105
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ohmbudsman View Post
I was listening to an interview with Clem Burke Blondie Drummer who spent time in the UK before and during punk said Dr Feelgood's first LPs were massive influence on forming Blondie, he took a copy back to New York and they often played it non-stop at parties in the early days of the band. So originality often comes from other sources, I can hear a lot of other ideas in Blondie now that I didn't hear at the time. So not as original as I first thought - in reterospect.
I didn't realise until I got a Shangri Las compilation a few years ago how much Debbie Harry sounded like their singer Mary Weiss. Macca was big into Ray Charles but turned out sounding like himself. So everyone has modelled their sound on someone else.