Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 26-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
acharlatani

Default EMP....generators

Ok so I have always believed if something is going to happen that's huge in our lifetime it's going to start with an EMP. If so would this render generators useless or would they still work????

I'm debating getting one but realise SHTF scenario would make me pretty open to be targeted. Also anyone out there stocking up on fuel and if so how much would you recommend?

SMASH THE SYSTEM
acharlatani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Electromagnetic Pulse will only destroy microcircuits, and only if they're running at the time. So the engine computer in your car will be fried if you're driving, but not if the engine is off.

Simple generators should be safe even if they're running, but if they have circuits to control power, rpm, frequency or the like that's going to be more sensitive. In other words, the more expensive the generator the less Godzilla-Proof it is. Cheap generators don't have any controls of anything, or just mechanical controls, maybe just a set of big rectifier diodes for a DC jack.

{edit to add**

The basic idea is that the EMP will overload conductors. The smaller the conductor or the closer to it's limits it runs the more sensitive it is. Transistors are tiny, so they're easy to fry. Copper wire, not so much. An interesting historical factoid, during the Cold War the US had B-52 bombers in the air 24/7 "just in case." Those planes were one of the last uses of tube ("valve" in UK?) circuits for radios and avionics, as a nuke-hard redundant system.

Last edited by apollo_gnomon; 26-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by acharlatani View Post
Ok so I have always believed if something is going to happen that's huge in our lifetime it's going to start with an EMP. If so would this render generators useless or would they still work????

I'm debating getting one but realise SHTF scenario would make me pretty open to be targeted. Also anyone out there stocking up on fuel and if so how much would you recommend?
If you are realy worried you could build a simple Farraday cage that houses stackable things on a shelf system. Look on u-tube. There are many, and it matters not a jot if its earthed, just make sure you dont earth the shelf, but the cage instead.

I store some hard drives wrapped up in tin foil. Works a treat. Just like my wallet cards.

The other point, of having enough fuel for the jenny; Ask yourself what you want the jenny for.
If it is for a short term issue like a leccy strike or some such other 'thing' that will take the grid off line for a week or two, then you should simply connect the jenny next week and do a trial run. Do it for a week or two weeks and then get that amount for storing. You will notice a couple of things; the jenny is frikkin' loud at night, and the fridge is a pain in the arse cos it keeps you thinking of just how much fuel you are using on stuff you are not yet using.

Gas will still be on, so it will only be the others on the strret that have leccy cookers that will bother you (the noise, you see). This is not too much of a bad thing as due to the power outage only being short in duration, you will make a few friends on the street that you can turn to in latter times if you maintain the contact.

But you are worried of an EMP so...
You now know how much fuel you need per week and possibly how you might store it. How noisy it is. How smelly it is.

If you cant defend it, then dont get one for the long-term prep but do get one for the short term problems (those that resolve pretty quickly).
There are better ways of staying on top.
Ask yourself what you want leccy for. In an EMP you will not be able to get fuel, trust the water will run, that the gas will flow, that the shops will open, or transport will run etc etc.

What do you want a jenny for? other than just to live as you are now, but when an EMP might hit us.

nelly.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
apollo_gnomon
Banned

If storing fuel, keep a few things in mind:

- fuel stabilizers keep the fuel from going funky
- keep the cans in a cool spot, with ventilation and spill control (water heater pans or giant "cookie sheets" from the auto part store work fine)
- lock your stash
- farm stores carry storage tanks, truck mounted fuel tanks and pumps, if you want to store more than a few hand-carry cans
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote