I think tech has run its course, it will all end soon
JumpRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #22
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpRogue View Post
I think tech has run its course, it will all end soon
How do you mean?

I think our necessity for being told is lowering, and by that I mean that the pc is now not so important because we have printed our last photo, lest we go to the store and get it in big size, or that we do send less paper word prints. But now the pc is used less as a thing and more as the tool needed to get a result.

I watch little if any telly. But I do catch up on line, the old programs, but they too have now lost their luster.

I use the phone less. I talk more at work. I do buy books still. And my kids read them a's second nature but they are finger poppers like the rest.

I think all the glitter has gone. We have streamlined our lives is all.

Now we are looking for the next big thing to occupy our heads.
tom bombadil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #23
motleyhoo

Everyone under 30 will fall into emotional despair. Everyone else will learn in short order that life is actually better without all the frivolous distraction and stress.

Smartphones and social media have made people so that they are never alone with their own thoughts in any sort of quiet contemplation. We need at least an hour of this every day the same as we need sleep and dreams in order to be mentally and emotionally healthy.

The people who think they cannot live without all the tech do not understand that it keeps them in a constant state of fight or flight because their brains have been trained to sit in an infinite loop waiting to answer the next "notification" that comes in. You cannot even have a real conversation with them because they keep looking down at their phone.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #24
forteanc

we managed very well not that long ago. People will be more sociable
forteanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #25
tom bombadil

I know from experience that when any (most) kids or young adults KNOW there is no alternative they DO accept the situation!

I get this from normal kids and those on the spectrum. Those on the spectrum especially seem to get it while those other kids still play on the parents weaknesses!

If there is no other way, then they accept it! Its when they have a light at the end of the tunnel that they moan!

I see kids getting on together all the time without their phones etc! It just means that instead of... say us seeing five kids having a chat at the table, there are many more on line. But drop the phones and they will just meet up. It happens in uni all the time where all types of kids are not on their phones and talk all day! They still use them but they like the face to face. So after school age at least, we can see a preference to face to face over fingers, and its a choice they make as they go on in life.
Old 26-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #26
elshaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
I know from experience that when any (most) kids or young adults KNOW there is no alternative they DO accept the situation!

I get this from normal kids and those on the spectrum. Those on the spectrum especially seem to get it while those other kids still play on the parents weaknesses!

If there is no other way, then they accept it! Its when they have a light at the end of the tunnel that they moan!

I see kids getting on together all the time without their phones etc! It just means that instead of... say us seeing five kids having a chat at the table, there are many more on line. But drop the phones and they will just meet up. It happens in uni all the time where all types of kids are not on their phones and talk all day! They still use them but they like the face to face. So after school age at least, we can see a preference to face to face over fingers, and its a choice they make as they go on in life.
This is a double edged sword if you use it in another context.
Exodus 34:19 "All that openeth the matrix is mine;"
Isaiah 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create EVIL: I the Lord do all these things. (I'm not a Christian!!)

Mark 11:12-25 - Jesus Curses a Fig Tree because he was hungry.

A Town Cursed by Jesus

Last edited by elshaper; 26-05-2018 at 05:01 PM.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #27
breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayen4 View Post
Prompted by a post on another thread.....

What would happen if all the tech (mobile phones, particularly 'smartphones' , internet etc) , was turned off ?? How long do you think it would take for people to start committing suicide or other assorted craziness ??
Discuss please....

The sooner this happens the better.

Had a young lad 20 ish working with me, always on his phone replying to Facebook posts or texting.

One day he lost his phone () I can only describe his behaviour due to the loss of his phone as cold turkey.

DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #28
elshaper

Default withdrawl symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaker View Post

Had a young lad 20 ish working with me, always on his phone replying to Facebook posts or texting.

One day he lost his phone () I can only describe his behaviour due to the loss of his phone as cold turkey.

Was he shivering and cold sweat?
Isaiah 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create EVIL: I the Lord do all these things. (I'm not a Christian!!)

A Town Cursed by Jesus
Old 26-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #29
breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaper View Post
Was he shivering and cold sweat?
No,more like someone on death row

Sad lad was extremely anxious and couldn’t keep still or work as well as he usually did.

Luckily I found his phone for him

DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional, for entertainment purposes only Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians or any other form of organisation entity living, dead or in any other state of existence are coincidental Any opinion, comment or statements related or attributed to this username are not necessarily nor implied to be those held by the ip/computer/username or other electronic media device or service owner/user.
Old 26-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #30
fairyprincess

Id loose my connect to various communities. The sorts of stuff people never came together to talk about since the net started.

Subcultures of people would shink. On the plus side, that would include peado rings too...
"if you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you." (Jesus Christ, gospel of thomas.)

Love is natural, Hate is taught....
fairyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #31
breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyprincess View Post
Id loose my connect to various communities. The sorts of stuff people never came together to talk about since the net started.

Subcultures of people would shink. On the plus side, that would include peado rings too...

And maybe local communities would thrive again without technology and WiFi .

Old 26-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #32
armoured_amazon

Quote:
No,more like someone on death row

Sad lad was extremely anxious and couldn’t keep still or work as well as he usually did.

Luckily I found his phone for him

You hid his phone, didn't you?
armoured_amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #33
breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoured_amazon View Post
You hid his phone, didn't you?

Old 27-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #34
hokuspokus

Quote:
Prompted by a post on another thread.....

What would happen if all the tech (mobile phones, particularly 'smartphones' , internet etc) , was turned off ?? How long do you think it would take for people to start committing suicide or other assorted craziness ??
Discuss please....

This is a great question and to expand on it a little what happens
when today's technology is deemed out of date. What will be the next
big thing when internet smart phones etc are old technology and millennials
are bemoaning the younger generation?.
hokuspokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #35
breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuspokus View Post
are bemoaning the younger generation?.
The pinnacles of control were reached years ago without many people noticing,
The same thing has happened with mobile technology, phones and iPads.

We’re all wired up and tracked

Old 27-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #36
elshaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuspokus View Post
are bemoaning the younger generation?
Of course it's the microchip.
By then, it's no point in accepting technology that wise will relocate into the middle of jungle somewhere.
Your retirement so to speak. No money is needed since there will be no shops there and you'll live on the land just as you have always dreamed.
Plenty of psychotropic plants growing freely and no police will come knocking on your door (there won't be a door either lol). Your next entertainment will be zipping in and out of different dimension.

A Town Cursed by Jesus

Last edited by elshaper; 27-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 27-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #37
jayen4

Quote:

Now that's as funny as hell !....and very sad at the same time....
Was he like 'I can't go on , I'm gonna commit suicide !'..... Jeez....

Could be a new form of entertainment for us older ones !....lol. (Is that a bit nasty ?? Hahaaa.....).
jayen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #38
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaper View Post
This is a double edged sword if you use it in another context.
I suppose i am talking of UNTRAINED kids! I have no truck for a grown child 14-upwards, that cant take no!

We do have to train our young. No one else will do it as it should be done, and one training notion is that they cant have everything their way! They have to accept THAT or they feel hurt ...unless we train the child to understand patience!

It will be tough on them at the very start. Thats all.
Old 27-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #39
breaker

Quote:
Now that's as funny as hell !....and very sad at the same time....
Was he like 'I can't go on , I'm gonna commit suicide !'..... Jeez....

Could be a new form of entertainment for us older ones !....lol. (Is that a bit nasty ?? Hahaaa.....).
No. And please don’t try to put words into my mouth.

Last edited by breaker; 27-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 28-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #40
jayen4

Quote:
No. And please don’t try to put words into my mouth.

I wasn't aware that I was doing so..... Who's put a bee in your bonnet !??
Don't tell us about stuff if you don't want others commenting !
jayen4 is offline   Reply With Quote