Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 30-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #21
fuhquitz

My idea of bliss - all that air & countryside. I live in a rural idyll, but even that is not safe from people who have the personality of my forum name!

I've been bereaved since my last visit to the forum, but I am getting back into life, such that it is. Been round a couple of nice real fires, late, lazy nights with chums, just catching up n chilling.

Where I'll be - house hunting in France for a month soon, will start a thread about that in a bit, though.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
old_stag

Went for a long walk through central Scotland a couple of days ago. Wandered along the old Union Canal from Falkirk then followed the Forth estuary for a while. It was really quiet, I only met a handful of walkers and cyclists.
Parts of the canal are so peaceful, away from the road and bustle, as the old industrial arteries are forgotten and nature begins to reclaim the land.
The ground was covered in tiny little frogs, I had to watch my step as I didn't want to crush them. Ducks and ducklings floated casually on the still waters and I saw rabbits, deer, coots and more. It seemed like the whole of nature was just chilling out on a sunny day.
I don't know what the little guy in the second picture is, any ideas?

"I know corries in Argyll that whisper silken to the wind with juicy grasses. Corries where the deer love to prance deep in the cool dew and the beasts of far-off woods come in bands at their seasons and together rejoice." from John Splendid by Neil Munro
old_stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
peabrain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_stag View Post
Went for a long walk through central Scotland a couple of days ago. Wandered along the old Union Canal from Falkirk then followed the Forth estuary for a while. It was really quiet, I only met a handful of walkers and cyclists.
Parts of the canal are so peaceful, away from the road and bustle, as the old industrial arteries are forgotten and nature begins to reclaim the land.
The ground was covered in tiny little frogs, I had to watch my step as I didn't want to crush them. Ducks and ducklings floated casually on the still waters and I saw rabbits, deer, coots and more. It seemed like the whole of nature was just chilling out on a sunny day.
I don't know what the little guy in the second picture is, any ideas?

I think he's a field vole, very cute looking wee beastie,

It's lovely when nature reclaims the land and is not long in doing so.
peabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
old_stag

Yes I think you're right. He seems to be a field vole. Just as well he had that blade of grass to hide behind or I might have seen him!
"I know corries in Argyll that whisper silken to the wind with juicy grasses. Corries where the deer love to prance deep in the cool dew and the beasts of far-off woods come in bands at their seasons and together rejoice." from John Splendid by Neil Munro
Old 15-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
old_stag

Spent three weeks walking through the north-west highlands on the Cape Wrath Trail last month. Great to be out in wilderness areas for so long!
Your priorities change and 'real' things matter. Food, weather, where you are sleeping that night, and how long until the next ale!

Old 16-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #26
motleyhoo

Stunning pictures. I am jealous. Wanted to post something more profound, but at the moment my throat hurts and my nose is running.

"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it ... It is not a field of a few acres of ground, but a cause, that we are defending, and whether we defeat the enemy in one battle, or by degrees, the consequences will be the same." -- Thomas Paine
motleyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
peabrain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhoo View Post
Stunning pictures. I am jealous. Wanted to post something more profound, but at the moment my throat hurts and my nose is running.

Aww, hope you feel better soon, must be the time of year when these bugs are doing the rounds , felt a bit 'banged' up myself this morning.

I agree with you, we're so lucky in that we can pitch a tent and have an amazing time outdoors in nature.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
old_stag

The camping ban on the east shore of Loch Lomond is set to be extended over all of the Trossachs lochs. I knew this would happen.
I love camping in the Trossachs in early Spring and Autumn. They can just jail me and be done with it. I will not give up camping in the place that I love.
Old 16-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #29
peabrain
Inactive

Quote:
The camping ban on the east shore of Loch Lomond is set to be extended over all of the Trossachs lochs. I knew this would happen.
I love camping in the Trossachs in early Spring and Autumn. They can just jail me and be done with it. I will not give up camping in the place that I love.
It's a disgrace , I didn't realise the extent of the ban, more people should cap there and draw attention to this .
Old 07-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #30
old_stag

Wednesday was one of those rare jewels. A wonderful summer's day in November.
I took a bus up to the foot of the Campsie Fells just north of Glasgow and wandered up to the top of the crags at around 1300 feet.

I sat for hours looking out over the sleepy villages beneath me and in the distance through the haze were the monolithic tower blocks of Glasgow
A murder of crows performed dogfights off the edge of the crags. Soaring, falling, looping, their acrobatics put a sense of wonder into me.
I could tell by their calls that they were happy. And watching them made me happy. We were all happy.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #31
peabrain
Inactive

Beautiful skies, beautiful prose. This is what makes life worth living, :luv

Thanks for sharing old stag:luv:
Old 13-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
old_stag

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
Beautiful skies, beautiful prose. This is what makes life worth living, :luv

Thanks for sharing old stag:luv:
Thanks for the kind words peabrain. I've had a bad cold since the morning after that trip. I also learned to make sure I know what I am eating when I try 'wild food'.
Old 14-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #33
fuhquitz

Beautiful scenary, love Scotland, hope you post more OS. Three generations removed from it, but it strangely runs through me with an invisible lure!
Old 14-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #34
deadhawk

Default come sit by my fire

soul music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_sstn4KLQ

yeh
deadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #35
peabrain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhquitz View Post
Beautiful scenary, love Scotland, hope you post more OS. Three generations removed from it, but it strangely runs through me with an invisible lure!
, it's in your 'roots'.:luv:
Old 17-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #36
pepsirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
Moving to escape the monoteny of life.

Fed-up of middle england. Going off to do the self reliant stuff in Wales.

Going now before I have to.
Gosh id love to do that.
pepsirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #37
kickmuck

Looks lovely Old Stag nothing better than camping away from everything. I have ended up at the odd family campsite on a couple of occasions and i don't know why but it grates on me a little bit when everything i need is all fit on my back and i am surrounded by people who have a huge car full of everything but the kitchen sink. Is it really necessary to bring a temporary wardrobe camping with you just for a couple of days. It makes me laugh at the effort they put into it when they have to pack up and it takes them about 3 hours to put it all away and i just put my tent away roll up my sleeping bag, torch, book and mini stove and i am off lol
kickmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #38
fuhquitz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
, it's in your 'roots'.:luv:
Aye, certainly is!
Old 20-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #39
deadhawk

Quote:
Wednesday was one of those rare jewels. A wonderful summer's day in November.
I took a bus up to the foot of the Campsie Fells just north of Glasgow and wandered up to the top of the crags at around 1300 feet.

I sat for hours looking out over the sleepy villages beneath me and in the distance through the haze were the monolithic tower blocks of Glasgow
A murder of crows performed dogfights off the edge of the crags. Soaring, falling, looping, their acrobatics put a sense of wonder into me.
I could tell by their calls that they were happy. And watching them made me happy. We were all happy.
yeh gorgeous area the campsies, i spent tons of my life there and the trossachs, it's a connection point for me to the rest of the universe, in the wind and rain it's a test of your resolve out there but ultimately rewarding.
deadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #40
old_stag

Something outside the tent is growling.

It's been a while since anyone posted on the campfire thread so let's bring it back to life for 2016.
This experience happened to me in September of last year whilst hiking in the Highlands.
Before the main 'Night of Terror' though, there is a bit of a prologue or a warning of things to come. I had been hiking all day along the Great Glen Way, heading North East and up above Loch Ness I was struggling to find a decent pitch and time was getting on. There had been a bit of rain and I had stopped to admire a lovely rainbow falling into the deep waters of the Loch.

With darkness descending I finally threw up my tent on a mossy patch next to the trail on what was marked on the map as "Haunted Forest". Well it wasn't but it should have been. I struggled to get the tent up, with midges biting, as it quickly got darker with ranks of closely packed fir trees crowding round me.
My tent wasn't in great condition. I had fallen on it the night before after a refreshment and it was difficult to get it up properly in the mossy ground. As you can see....

Being camped next to the trail I was aware I might get runners or cyclists coming through late on but I just felt uneasy as it got dark, it just felt like the wrong place to camp.
I didn't get a supper as the midges had got into the apron of my tent and I wasn't cooking inside the tent proper, so I lay awake tired and hungry.
At one point I felt I heard footsteps stop on the trail and not start again. Weird I thought.
It got to ten to one and I was still lying awake. Then it happened. A loud scream three times in succession from just dowhill. Ayeee Ayeee Ayeee.
Whatever it was had been coming up the steep forested slope from the loch and had suddenly got a whiff of me. I thought I heard some crashing through the undergrowth and then it was gone.
I finally got to sleep about an hour later, and in the morning, packed up and left, hoping to stay the next night at a campsite, or anywhere that didn't have bad monsters in the woods.
I'll continue with the real 'Night of Terror' next time...