Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
rreeve

Default Does anyone know anything about Crofting?

Just read this small wiki page >> about crofting in the Scottish highlands after seeing a short description of the tradition on a BBC documentry called Hebrides - Islands on the Edge (BBC iPlayer link >>)

From what I can gather, it's a small-scale, social, community-based system of food production where a community divides up the good fertile land so that everyone has their own plot and they all live on the poor quality ground.

It sounds like a wonderful system to me where people can live sustainably on the land by only taking what they need, when they need it. This is something I have always said we need to do for our species to live in balance with nature once again.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Crofting or how someone would go about owning a croft? I know it's not the best source of reliable information but the wiki page says there are many more crofts than crofters and it's a dying tradition.

Also, does crofting go on anywhere else outside of Scotland because it would be a shame if it doesn't? Are there any other systems similar to Crofting.

It's hard to explain and it's a bit strange but to me it feels like this ancient tradition is a innovative, modern idea. An idea that I'd hope we all eventually evolve into adopting once we realize the futility of consumerism and corporate mass-production mindset.
rreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
grandmasterp
Banned

There ya go
http://www.crofting.scotland.gov.uk/

Check out BBC Alba TV too.
They have progs on crofting, in Gaelic but subtitled.
HTH
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
rreeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
There ya go
http://www.crofting.scotland.gov.uk/

Check out BBC Alba TV too.
They have progs on crofting, in Gaelic but subtitled.
HTH

BRILLIANT. Thank you so much.
rreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
glacidtek

I might be wrong, but I think its exploitation.

You never own the croft - your a tennant farmer........ paying your dues to the landlord.

Again, might be wrong, but I think crofting came about after the highland clearances........ take the land from the people and rent it back to them.

Oh, BBC - propoganda?

Move south, and out of the UK for a good climate and fertile land... ....... unless you just want to grow oats, potatoes and turnip.
glacidtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
vorwahr
Inactive

Crofting is basically small holding farming on rented ground ,
These days a lot of crofts are used as holiday or secound homes .

If you fancy farming on a small scale in the highlands just buy one or rent one
Look at island communities who might be trying to atract new people to live there as the community is dying out or moving away ,
There are a few .

I'd say book a holiday in a highland cottage that takes your fancy in febuary or January you should get it cheap then ,
And if you like it go for it the remote highlands of Scotland are very remote some if not most don't have electricity lines or gas and use generators and propane .

Supplies to these areas is difficult in winter it can be impossible same goes for selling produce the added cost of transport eats into your budget .

Example
vorwahr is offline   Reply With Quote