Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat > Forum Talent / Promote Yourself

Old 17-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
jake_ball

Default Wanting to teach my 8 year old how to play keyboard - Advice welcome

I have seen a keyboard in Smyths and I had a go of it, and it seems pretty good for the price. It has a learning function on it too, but I dont think that it will help really. Any advice on how to teach my daughter would be welcome.

I taught myself how to do it years ago, but I am just a novice. I learned how to play "Dancing in the moonlight".
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion

Last edited by jake_ball; 17-03-2018 at 05:40 PM.
jake_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
white light

I'm no pianist, but I learnt to play guitar from songbooks with chords in. If you know the songs in the book then sussing out the chords and bashing away at them can be a fun way to start.
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
decode reality
Inactive

Guitar teachers seem far more savvy than piano teachers, many of whom are steeped purely in the classical style. Classical stuff can be fun to do, but personally I think it's best to tailor the learning towards an 8-year old's interest, which are likely to be contemporary pop songs in the main. Obviously that's not to say you don't introduce Mozart et al, but go with what they know, definitely.

Guitar teachers also teach chords from the start, enabling learners to play a vast amount of music once they've learnt 5 chords or so.

I recommend you contact these guys, Jake: https://www.teachpianotoday.com/
They can advise you on things to look for if you plan to get a teacher for your daughter. Their approach is innovative, flexible and modern but with a strong awareness of tradition. It's just tailored to contemporary learners. They're based in USA but are very responsive to emails.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Sabrina
Inactive

My kids used you tube piano tutorials - if you type in easy piano tutorial it should come up with the synthesia type ones.
Play along with your piano. They can use headphones if they are rubbish and annoying you.
That's how one of my kids got a GSCE A grade in music - just kept repeating the songs until he learned it.

School usually teaches them how to read music but there's probably tutorials on youtube for that too.
If you want to be professional get a tutor - but the kid that did that ended up unsocial with no friends - probably because they had pushy parents
but on the plus side he got taken out of school to go to a London music academy at 11....lol

Last edited by Sabrina; 17-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
elshaper
Inactive

Is there anime tune does your daughter like?
For a starter, one handed is ok, just to follow the main melody type of thing.
By doing this, she'll develop listening skill as well as notes location.
Look for the tutorial of the song she likes.

This is how I started when I first got an octave scale toy plastic keyboard at four. There was a tune that was in my mind and I found the keys and kept playing repeatedly. Later I found out that it was a song from Eurovision song contest when I was 0 year old and we didn't even live in Europe. Talk about memory.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
fudgetusk

Get recording stuff. Nothing like it to creative incentive.

The connection between Icke and 9/11
fudgetusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
jake_ball

Thanks all, I am still giving it some thought

Here is what I have found on Youtube - Just an example of ways of how we learn to play the keyboard.

Mike Barson FROM MADNESS!!! shows us how to play "My Girl"

The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion

Last edited by jake_ball; 21-03-2018 at 09:16 AM.
jake_ball is offline   Reply With Quote