Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 28-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretr View Post
Thanks for more ideas.
I don't have a balcony and no garden really - just communal lawns back and front which are mown by my landlord, so planting now will be difficult, I will only be able to use containers on windowsills.

I already have a wheeled shopping trolley which can accommodate my water container (the type seen in high streets in use by the elderly)

My son lives a twenty minute walk away, and that is mainly across fields with only a hundred yards of B road where I would be at risk. He has no land for planting either.
There is a large area of alottments right next to me. I already buy eggs there. I hope that it is not subjected to food raiders from the town. I contemplate I may need to dig up the landlord's lawn if need be, or trade some seeds for ready grown until I get my own garden going

I have ordered a solar/windup/radio/torch combo.
I have looked at outdoor wear and those shiny survival blankets- have earmarked some for further scrutiny/watching on ebay.
I don't think a sleeping bag is a good idea - I will sleep in thermal clothing - better to facilitate a 'flight/escape' if ever needed.

I have 3 neighbours - I am friendly with all 3 - all men - but none can be relied on - one is mentally backward and the other two are in poor health.
I will wait for your suggestions on clothing before I purchase.

Thanks for helping this old biddy plan survival
I am not ignoring the other posts as they are good info.

But it would be better if we could see your place, or better in this world, a place like yours. Can you post a look-a-like found on the web.

Who is the landlord? Council, private?
Can you get together with your neibours if just to ask if you can put some raised borders (sleeper style, though definately not sleepers) in for some 'seasonal' planting? (dont say food). Or large pots or both. Have you read the squre foot gardener? You dont need a lot of space at all.
Get to work on those window boxes. A quick and cheap way is to use pallet wood. Use an electric plainer for good looks, but you could just season them after you build them to last a long time. For strength use metal strips at the corners. Screw them to the window frame (yes, even plastic frames, just use the right screws) and not the sill itself. It will only take a few small screws each planter.

Untill you have permision, you should get some plastic plant pots (the big round or square ones that you find all around the same dwelling type as your own) anyway, as it wont be nicked and even when they are growing a spud plant looks like a weed. Add a few flowers too as they can stop pests.

Allotments will be the first place that folk would go to. Dont grow there after the shtf or if things get tight in the economy, We will know when that is as it will be worse than it now by a large margin.

I agree that you should use a sleeping bag. You will have time to arm yourselves. Know that you cant keep out a sustained attacker, but without something to retaliate with you will have them keep coming. Be prepaied to kill. Sorry to say that you might have to do it or others will be back. A good weapon is a bill hook. I was using one today to chop down some branches (an axe is better for this but I love it to bits ), also it is a good coppiser (it true role of course). Aim for the foot, then the head. Sorry, I will have to say fuck-em. If they were good people, they would ask first and then leave for good. If they come back in the dead of night however......

Lots of pants and socks and some cold water use soap (like in a camping store) Other stuff can be worn a lot longer with the exeption of t-shirts maybe. The rest is personal taste. You are not camping in the alps so your cloths can be functional for gardening and of heavier weave and thus cheaper.

Nelly.

Last edited by tom bombadil; 28-05-2009 at 10:25 PM.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #22
tom bombadil

I forgot the heating problem.

I need to know what your place is like inside. You cant cook at all if you dont have a chiminey. You will not cook indoors without an outlet larger than a flue for a gas heater. You will need bigger.

But it is not the end of the world (ha ha) if you dont, but I still need to know the layout.

Nelly.
Old 29-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
I forgot the heating problem.

I need to know what your place is like inside. You cant cook at all if you dont have a chiminey. You will not cook indoors without an outlet larger than a flue for a gas heater. You will need bigger.

But it is not the end of the world (ha ha) if you dont, but I still need to know the layout.

Nelly.
It is a 1st floor flat in a block of 4, having only two stories, with a communal stairwell - the back and front exterior stairwell doors are lockable but have glass panels and are flimsy. I have only one exit door - into that stairwell- it is solid wood.

There are no chimneys or any flu outlets, so no facilities for an indoor open fire.
I have a large lounge, tiny kitchen, a bathroom, one bedroom and a narrow hallway. I do have a loft access hatch but it is too small for me at the moment (maybe accesssible after a few months of food shortages)
I have only one window which opens wide enough to get out of, and I keep a tow rope near it at all times in case of fire.

The open lawns back and front are unfenced. When I moved here I brought a garden bench and table and they were stolen within one year.
Anything left outside is liable to be stolen. This property was originally council owned and is now owned by a housing association.

I am gradually making my son aware, and hope that I will be asked to join him - his home is better able to be secured, and he happens to have a shotgun and licence.

My only other worry at the moment is my eldest grandson who has just completed a geology degree and will be going to USA in 2 weeks time to work at a summer camp teaching rifle shooting (he is the Uni small bore rifle shooting champion)

I need a contingency plan for staying at my own home - I like 'all bases covered'

Last edited by margaretr; 29-05-2009 at 11:08 AM.
margaretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
tom bombadil

Quote:
I am gradually making my son aware, and hope that I will be asked to join him - his home is better able to be secured, and he happens to have a shotgun and licence.

My only other worry at the moment is my eldest grandson who has just completed a geology degree and will be going to USA in 2 weeks time to work at a summer camp teaching rifle shooting (he is the Uni small bore rifle shooting champion)

I need a contingency plan for staying at my own home - I like 'all bases covered'
A-ha!. First things first. You wont need to convert them when tshtf cos you will all natraly come together (if you can) and between you will choose the best dwelling.

For your hallway and front door you need to get a few sturdy (and varnished, why not) planks of wood and two lengths of 3x3. With these you prop the planks up against the door at both sides verticly. You use the 3x3 to wedge the two planks to the door via the frame of another door along the hallway if you have it or by getting a block of 2x4x2 and screwing it to the floor in two places along the hall by the front door. These are used as the wedge point. The idea is that the planks cover the door and the frame. If this is not clear then post me
You will now be able to keep out a sustaind attack long enough to get out of bed, streatch, have a cup of tea and get the rest of the boiling water to pour over the baddie.

As for cooking. You will have a vent in the kitchen. You will. If not, then open the window a bit when using the next item. Look here and look for his small alcohol cooker.... This will enable you to cook.

As for heating your home, then you might have to opt for a water storage heater that is heated by the rays of the sun by day and slowly releases over the evening. You can see how to make one using the same folk that made that video... http://au.truveo.com/energy-for-eart...e/id/659892726

Also. Dont you have a gas or electric fire on the hearth wall?

Nelly. Getting there.
Old 29-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #25
margaretr

The info about the cooking and heating is very useful. I recall camping trips in the 1940s when dad used a primus stove - glad to see that new designs are available that look safer - I will look on ebay.

The door barracade I dont think will work. The landing outside my front door is concrete, and my landlord wouldn't like me drilling into it. If I made several trips to the stream in one day and filled my bath, then I would be self sufficient for a few days and could block the back of the door with a heavy sideboard I have.

The solar panel idea is sound, but we don't get enough sun where I live, especially during winter short days.
On one of those links you gave me it showed a steel heater fuelled by alcohol - I will look for detail about those.

I am a little wary of using flammable liquids, but 'needs must when the devil drives'
Thanks gentlemen - you have done me proud

Last edited by margaretr; 29-05-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 29-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
asha loka

You can cook on tea lights, if you're not in a hurry - which I'm guessing you wouldn't be, if you've barricaded the front door.

Retail packs of tea lights are cheap, and don't take up a lot of space. They're harder to knock over than alcohol or gas stoves. And you can buy them wholesale for not much money at all.

For food, cheap muesli is a good dense source of protein, salt and carbs. It's not as interesting as other foods, and I'd guess after a couple of weeks you'd start to hate it. But it will keep you alive longer than more elaborate but less nutritious canned foods would.
Old 29-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #27
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by asha loka View Post
You can cook on tea lights, if you're not in a hurry - which I'm guessing you wouldn't be, if you've barricaded the front door.

Retail packs of tea lights are cheap, and don't take up a lot of space. They're harder to knock over than alcohol or gas stoves. And you can buy them wholesale for not much money at all.

For food, cheap muesli is a good dense source of protein, salt and carbs. It's not as interesting as other foods, and I'd guess after a couple of weeks you'd start to hate it. But it will keep you alive longer than more elaborate but less nutritious canned foods would.
I have 2 large plastic crates full of food stored and another crate ready to be filled by a £100 delivery on Sunday. I can afford to stock at the rate of £100 per month. I suppose I will be low on carbs but as I will be hibernating my energy needs will be lesser than normal.
I have concentrated on a protein supply of cooked meats and fish which I can eat cold. My 4yr supply of food supplements will provide vitamins which I would otherwise have got from fruit and veg, but I do have an additional smaller stock of dried veg, dried milk, pasta and pulses, so I will have a little variety.

I have been careful to avoid 'reconstituted meat', monosodium glutamate and other nasty additives.

Thanks for the tealight tip.

Last edited by margaretr; 29-05-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
tom bombadil

The idea was to barracade your door.

Also, with the heater, even in the winter, this thing will work even with a little sun.

Glad to help.

Nelly
Old 29-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
shansuke

personaly i think the older folks on here and folk who live alone and may be worried about the shtf should all get in touch with each other now and arrainge meet up points where they could get in touch or leave messeges or whatever.

their could be official icke forum members meeting points all over the uk,all we would have to do is make a section on this forum where folk post their nearest prefered meeting point which could then be printed of every now and then so as that you always have a fresh copy if/when the internet or electricity supply goes down.

this would also be helpfull to the ones that have to flee their homes.

one things for sure tho,like minded folk would be a lot better and safer off if they live and travel in numbers.
shansuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #30
jonas parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shansuke View Post
personaly i think the older folks on here and folk who live alone and may be worried about the shtf should all get in touch with each other now and arrainge meet up points where they could get in touch or leave messeges or whatever.

their could be official icke forum members meeting points all over the uk,all we would have to do is make a section on this forum where folk post their nearest prefered meeting point which could then be printed of every now and then so as that you always have a fresh copy if/when the internet or electricity supply goes down.

this would also be helpfull to the ones that have to flee their homes.

one things for sure tho,like minded folk would be a lot better and safer off if they live and travel in numbers.
Excellent post!!! I thinks it's more "when" than "if" on the electric grid. Best bet is get your group together now! When TSHTF, the thugs will be well organized, but they will avoid well organized neighborhoods and look for easier prey...
Old 30-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #31
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker View Post
Excellent post!!! I thinks it's more "when" than "if" on the electric grid. Best bet is get your group together now! When TSHTF, the thugs will be well organized, but they will avoid well organized neighborhoods and look for easier prey...
Can I please ask you opinion Jonas? I live in a rural area where people know each other anyway and traditionally life has been quite tough here, it is not a particularly affluent area and I have already started to trade vegetable plants with one neighbour. I live in a hamlet so it is just a row of houses along a road.

What to you think life will be like in places like this when tshtf?
unusual_suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #32
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusual_suspect View Post
What to you think life will be like in places like this when tshtf?
Plan to be invaded by tent city on your doorstep, and your veg plot harvested without your consent.
Old 30-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #33
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
Plan to be invaded by tent city on your doorstep, and your veg plot harvested without your consent.
Shit, I don't really know what to do about that. I moved to the country in March as I was worried about TSHTF, I figured we would be safer away from Towns and cities.

A majority of people locally seem to grow their own veg in their gardens and many have their own chickens.

Do you think we will be invaded by city folk
Old 30-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #34
margaretr

Quote:
Shit, I don't really know what to do about that. I moved to the country in March as I was worried about TSHTF, I figured we would be safer away from Towns and cities.

A majority of people locally seem to grow their own veg in their gardens and many have their own chickens.

Do you think we will be invaded by city folk
When the cities have no power supply, that means no water and food distribution, so people will migrate to where they think there might be some.

Last edited by margaretr; 30-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 30-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
When the cities have no power supply, that means no water and food distribution, so people will migrate to where they think there might be some.
Hmm, not sure what to do now, any suggestions?
Old 30-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #36
margaretr

Quote:
Hmm, not sure what to do now, any suggestions?
Stockpile tinned and dried food
Decide which stream will be near enough to get water from when you have to access it on foot - obtain water purification drops and a water carrier.
Devise a defence plan to protect yourself eg axe, billhook, shotgun, barracade.
I live on the edge of a small town and have already begun planning- my earlier posts in this thread show how much

Last edited by margaretr; 30-05-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 30-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #37
unusual_suspect
Inactive

Quote:
Stockpile tinned and dried food
Decide which stream will be near enough to get water from when you have to access it on foot - obtain water purification drops and a water carrier.
Devise a defence plan to protect yourself eg axe, billhook, shotgun, barracade.
I live on the edge of a small town and have already begun planning- my earlier posts in this thread show how much
It is all going pretty well, I just hadn't thought much about the defence side of things. Shotguns are a little difficult to come by in the UK, although I would like to be able to hunt animals f need be. Anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks margaretr, I will read back through this thread again for info.

Last edited by unusual_suspect; 30-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 30-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
tom bombadil

Quote:
It is all going pretty well, I just hadn't thought much about the defence side of things. Shotguns are a little difficult to come by in the UK, although I would like to be able to hunt animals f need be. Anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks margaretr, I will read back through this thread again for info.
Dont give-up on the shotgun front. Join a club for info, Buy a gun, store it at home. You are quite legaly able to do that. Start by buying a gun magazine.

The requirements are that you need too store the gun away from the shot.
Nelly.
Old 30-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
margaretr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
Dont give-up on the shotgun front. Join a club for info, Buy a gun, store it at home. You are quite legaly able to do that. Start by buying a gun magazine.

The requirements are that you need too store the gun away from the shot.
Nelly.
It isn't quite that easy in UK. You have to apply to the police for a licence and there are strict rules on how you store it in your home.
My son happens to have a shotgun which he inherited from his dad. He had to go through the licence procedures then - that was 25 years ago before gun crime became rife. I think it will be harder to get a licence now.

Last edited by margaretr; 30-05-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 30-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #40
waylander
Inactive

Quote:
It isn't quite that easy in UK. You have to apply to the police for a licence and there are strict rules on how you store it in your home.
My son happens to have a shotgun which he inherited from his dad. He had to go through the licence procedures then - that was 25 years ago before gun crime became rife. I think it will be harder to get a licence now.
It's a piece of piss. It's no harder to get a shotgun license than it is to get a driving license.

Its no harder now that 25 years ago. Fact.

Waylander
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote