Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Entertainment Industry

Old 27-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #41
toty1994

Quote:
Jeff Lynne's ELO have been confirmed for the Sunday teatime slot.
'Come back on, ELO, and carry on playing.' - A. Partridge 1997

Booking ELO might be considered incredibly naff by some, but I'd much rather see them than bloody Coldplay!
toty1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #42
white light

Quote:
Originally Posted by toty1994 View Post

Booking ELO might be considered incredibly naff by some, but I'd much rather see them than bloody Coldplay!
Is that Andy Partridge of XTC?
white light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #43
jake_ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by toty1994 View Post

I love ELO (Jeff Lynne) Some people will hate ELO (in the same way that I hate Coldplay), but that is fine with me

I'm not so keen on R.....E......O.......Speedwagon though

One interesting fact (for ELO fans) is that at the end of Mr Blue Sky, the robot voice at the end says "Please turn me over" and NOT "Mr Blue Sky". I only found that out very recently
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion
jake_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #44
decode reality
Inactive

XTC, ELO, REO (Speedwagon), ABBA; something quite reassuring about those names, isn't it, wasn't it? Also we've got the whole gamut of bands with an acronym that actually reduces the syllable count. And that's good.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #45
decode reality
Inactive

ELO did some excellent singles, my favourite being Telephone Line. Great vocals. A song wrongly interpreted as a pop star calling his dealer to bring a stash of coke.
Old 27-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #46
hayed joe

I did have "Out of the Blue" but it was a handed down album with side 1 and 2 missing. It did have the good stuff but it didn't have "YESI'MTURNINGTOSTONECOSYOUAIN'TCOMINGHOME" on it!
hayed joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #47
stargategazer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_ball View Post
I love ELO (Jeff Lynne) Some people will hate ELO (in the same way that I hate Coldplay), but that is fine with me

I'm not so keen on R.....E......O.......Speedwagon though

One interesting fact (for ELO fans) is that at the end of Mr Blue Sky, the robot voice at the end says "Please turn me over" and NOT "Mr Blue Sky". I only found that out very recently
Yes. Grew up with ELO as a lad. I remember getting Mr Blue Sky in blue vinyl, playing Out of the Blue and the albums prior to that over and over.
Time, Secret Messages.......
stargategazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #48
jesus_lizard
Banned

Location: In a Beverly Hills mansion, rolling in tons of ca$h

Some of these names with initials mean something different yo what they say they mean, like KISS does not mean Keep it simple, stupid, it mean Knights In Satans Service.
YES means Young Emmisaries of Satan.

Last edited by jesus_lizard; 27-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.
jesus_lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #49
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_lizard View Post
Some of these names with initials mean something different yo what they say they mean, like KISS does not mean Keep it simple, stupid, it mean Knights In Satans Service.
YES means Young Emmisaries of Satan.
Not forgetting of course OMD - Order of Media Dark-lords.
Shame, because they were quite catchy at times.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:16 AM   #50
rooey

lol of course there is a pyramid stage at Glastonbury
Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #51
jhar26

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
I'm not a fan but I'll give them their due. People get hauled over the coals for that issue. I see no reason why they'd fake it, and probably their fan base contains mainly people who don't care about their political beliefs.

Generally it would be healthier if there were more artists who expressed opinions on political issues (which used to be a bit more commonplace back in the 70s and even 80s), though it doesn't mean we have to treat them as gurus.
Yes, but as soon as one of them would say something that people here don't agree with he or she would be said to be under mind control or a puppet for the illuminati.

But "the music business" is now under total control of the powers that be. There's nothing even remotely subversive about it anymore. Except maybe for rap. But they don't look up to rap about those that are exploiting them. They are too busy rapping about the ass of their "bitch" and thus contribute to the exploitation of their other half. What once was, "Say it loud! I'm black and I'm proud!" has morphed into "I'm gonna smack my bitch up." Instead of to uplift their people they now drag them ever deeper down into the hole that the're in. And the same is pretty much true about the whole specrum of popular music these days.
jhar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #52
jake_ball

There are loads of bands/artists that put out important political themed songs, but sadly those artists are NOT given a platform to get the message out to a wide audience.
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion
Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #53
jhar26

Quote:
There are loads of bands/artists that put out important political themed songs, but sadly those artists are NOT given a platform to get the message out to a wide audience.
Which is why I said that the music business is under total control by the powers that be. Someone obcure has no impact, but someone with an audience potentially could have. That's why for example the career of the Dixie Chicks was over the minute "I'm ashamed to be from the same state as Bush" left Natalie Maines' lips. If they had been obscure they could have said whatever they wanted because nobody would care about it. But if you actually sell records - nope, we can't have that.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #54
jake_ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
Which is why I said that the music business is under total control by the powers that be. Someone obcure has no impact, but someone with an audience potentially could have. That's why for example the career of the Dixie Chicks was over the minute "I'm ashamed to be from the same state as Bush" left Natalie Maines' lips. If they had been obscure they could have said whatever they wanted because nobody would care about it. But if you actually sell records - nope, we can't have that.
I used to wonder why the Housemartins and The Beautiful South were given a platform (Paul Heaton even went on Question Time!) - The stuff they said in their songs and in interviews went totally against the system at that time and was bordering on insighting violence (They were Marxists) - But little did I know back then that their political beliefs would end up mirroring what is happening today - And THAT is the reason they were given a platform. Paul Heaton will be used and spat out when he has run his course.

I wonder what the Dixie Chicks think of Obama ?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #55
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
I think with the Dixie Chicks, it was probably a lot to do with the fact that they weren't political in their music (I don't think). Chuck D, on the other hand, was making statements like that from the outset (in songs and interviews), and although he had a rough ride with the media, he maintained. The same couldn't be said for the Dixies though ironically, it wasn't long before Texas regarded them as a 'public enemy'.

Last edited by decode reality; 01-03-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #56
jhar26

Quote:
I used to wonder why the Housemartins and The Beautiful South were given a platform (Paul Heaton even went on Question Time!) - The stuff they said in their songs and in interviews went totally against the system at that time and was bordering on insighting violence (They were Marxists) - But little did I know back then that their political beliefs would end up mirroring what is happening today - And THAT is the reason they were given a platform. Paul Heaton will be used and spat out when he has run his course.

wonder what the Dixie Chicks think of Obama ?
I don't know. I suppose that like most liberals they must have had some enthusiasm for him when he first got in. But whether they got disappointed in him as time went by - I don't know. They should be on the topic of all the war mongering alone because he just continued where Bush left off.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #57
jhar26

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
I think with the Dixie Chicks, it was probably a lot to do with the fact that they weren't political in their music (I don't think). Chuck D, on the other hand, was making statements like that from the outset (in songs and interviews), and although he had a rough ride with the media, he maintained. The same couldn't be said for the Dixies though ironically, it wasn't long before Texas regarded them as a 'public enemy'.
Plus that, let's face it, much of the country music demographic consists of right wing rednecks. Their last post-Bush comment album was a bit more rock oriented and sold as well (or close) as the previous ones. But I think it was mostly bought by "liberal" rock fans who gave the Dixie Chicks their sympathy vote, so to speak.

Last edited by jhar26; 01-03-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #58
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Plus that, let's face it, much of the country music demographic consists of right wing rednecks. Their last post-Bush comment album was a bit more rock oriented and sold as well (or close) as the previous ones. But I think it was mostly bought by "liberal" rock fans who gave the Dixie Chicks their sympathy vote, so to speak.
Exactly. The type of people who are 'my country, right or wrong' in their attitude. It's the same with other highly popular artists. They can make pronouncements on things such as famine - preferably in "developing" nations - but nothing else.

Back in the 60s, Nina Simone was another openly political artist, and whilst that may have seen her vilified, she still had a sizable audience. Diana Ross on the other hand, was pretty much the Beyonce of her day, pretty much apolitical. So when she made a statement in support of the activist Stokely Carmichael, she was hauled over the coals by the mainstream media. From then onward, she never made any statements on politics close to home.

And so the same climate exists to this day.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #59
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, but as soon as one of them would say something that people here don't agree with he or she would be said to be under mind control or a puppet for the illuminati.

But "the music business" is now under total control of the powers that be. There's nothing even remotely subversive about it anymore. Except maybe for rap. But they don't look up to rap about those that are exploiting them. They are too busy rapping about the ass of their "bitch" and thus contribute to the exploitation of their other half. What once was, "Say it loud! I'm black and I'm proud!" has morphed into "I'm gonna smack my bitch up." Instead of to uplift their people they now drag them ever deeper down into the hole that the're in. And the same is pretty much true about the whole specrum of popular music these days.
Yes, spot on. In many ways those few artists around that do have something to say AND have a high profile are in between a rock and a hard place. It's not really their fault. In contrast with the present, the era that spawned James Brown, Sam Cooke et al was one when communities were more politicised, and out of that groundswell came many artists echoing the sentiments. The last time that happened was in late 80s/early 90s hip hop.

By contrast, communities today, white as well as black and everything in between, are far less socially conscious, so it almost seems contrived when occasionally an artist comes along speaking about issues related to the alternative media; it hasn't grown out of a groundswell in such an obvious way. But again, I don't think they can win either way. Which means that "Truthers" (I use the term for convenience) despise anything mainstream, anything "asleep" - but are either indifferent to, or will attack anything that offers something alternative. It's a strange conundrum.

Truthers are going to view them in such a way that every single detail of their work is scrutinised for signs of possible 'sell-out' or 'furthering the agenda'. Even if they're fans of particular artists, they project a lot of their expectations upon them, things that they can't live up to.

Last edited by decode reality; 01-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #60
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
The only way I think they would today would be if the social and political climate was as it was in the 60s, or even the 70s if you think of the impact of punk. The record labels had to take it on board or go out of business. There's the famous story about the Motown boss Berry Gordy not wanting Marvin Gaye to release 'What's Going On?' and preferred him to stick with love songs. He changed his tune when so many people bought the record.

But yes, in general the music industry is controlled, because so many other sectors of society are controlled.