Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 13-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
forestgreen
Inactive

Default Living off the grid

Quote:
Living off the grid: Photographer captures the ramshackle homes of families who have escaped the rat race.

There's no running water, no central heating - and certainly no supermarket for as far as the eye can see.

These are the families who have chosen to turn their backs on the breakneck speed of modern life to become at one with nature, free from the rat race.

Leaving city life for mountain ranges including the Carpathians and The Pyrenees, they pride themselves on living 'off the grid' without access to any of the mod-cons that the 21st Century may have to offer.

French photographer Antoine Bruy has spent years travelling across Europe capturing men, women and children who have joined the so-called 'back-to-land' movement on their very own organic farms.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-fat-land.html
forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
lavista4u

I'm 95% done with the GRID and FAKE SOCIETY and that's coming from a guy in a poor third world country.

The last 5% is the most difficult. The ultimate Decision. Last week, I was just thinking for 5 hours straight on getting out of the grid. Its not easy...Family, love etc comes into focus in the end....We have too many strings attached to make the final 5%.

Anyways..One day soon...I will be out....Bye Bye ...Can't wait
lavista4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
multiversal_quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavista4u View Post
I'm 95% done with the GRID and FAKE SOCIETY and that's coming from a guy in a poor third world country.

The last 5% is the most difficult. The ultimate Decision. Last week, I was just thinking for 5 hours straight on getting out of the grid. Its not easy...Family, love etc comes into focus in the end....We have too many strings attached to make the final 5%.

Anyways..One day soon...I will be out....Bye Bye ...Can't wait
hasta la vista 4u
multiversal_quiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
lavista4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiversal_quiver View Post
hasta la vista 4u

lavista4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
multiversal_quiver

Where do you go? Do you own rights to land? I ask this to you and as general question to everyone getting away from the machine.
multiversal_quiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
glacidtek

Its still possible to buy cheap land.

A property agent I know says if the land is the price of a beer or less per meter squared, its a good investment.

In UK a beer is £4......
In Portugal its 80.cents.

Its easy to get an acre here with a water source and a goat shed for 5k euros.
glacidtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
glacidtek

It should be easy enough for people who want to live off grid to save that amount.

I think many people want this lifestyle, but dont want to have to delay it and make the commitment to save.

I made a thread on here recently offering people a taster of my self sufficient life as a work exchange with bed&board.

How many took up the offer?
Zero.
Old 24-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by transient View Post
It should be easy enough for people who want to live off grid to save that amount.

I think many people want this lifestyle, but dont want to have to delay it and make the commitment to save.

I made a thread on here recently offering people a taster of my self sufficient life as a work exchange with bed&board.

How many took up the offer?
Zero.
tell me more...
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
glacidtek

Tom, the thread is here:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279125

Quote:
....... and want to come help out on our project?

http://www.helpx.net/host.asp?hostID=18666
I thought you were living self sufficiently, or at least some way towards it.

I distinctly remember getting some advice from you before I set down this path.
How it all working out?
Old 24-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
tom bombadil

Quote:
Tom, the thread is here:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279125

I thought you were living self sufficiently, or at least some way towards it.

I distinctly remember getting some advice from you before I set down this path.
How it all working out?
Thanks. Yes. Living self sus as much as I can. I have sold up and am still sitting on equity waiting for the right purchase. There have been a few close shaves and we have missed out a few times but we are sooooo close.

We are finding it hard to find a good bit of land that is not being resold by a bank due to re-possesion!! I want nothing to do with that type of theft by the banker bastards.

heh! We are currently renting in Shirley, Croydon. This place is soooo far from our dream it is actualy in the other direction. But its big, quiet, and the kids are close to school...everything I hate (ie 2.4 children and the Atomic family etc) and I feel like I am in limbo FFS.

BUT...It does mean that we can practice the 'good life' in ways that we couldnt do when we were buying our house. Having more funds means that we are free-er...technicily free-er.

Cheers. Stay in touch, unlike I have over the last half year
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
knowthyself1

Default Photoghrapher bumps into off grid living

Quote:
Photographer Antoine Bruy not only traveled and lived with off-grid families for three years, but captured captivating photos of their Walden-esque existence.

When screeching city noises and demands from the 9-5 job become too much, most people can only dream of what quiet isolation in the rural countryside could be like. But French photographer Antoine Bruy turned that dream into a reality by hitchhiking across Europe from 2010 to 2013.

The artist wandered through remote mountain regions without any fixed destination or route in mind, but along the way met several individuals who had willingly abandoned hectic city life in exchange for retreat in the deep wilderness. These people sacrificed modern comforts for greater autonomy and freedom, and in result became inspiration to the inquisitive photographer

Click here for Photos

― Gospel of Thomas
knowthyself1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
northernlass

I really want to escape here for a warm climate but have kids and not so much cash. hubby is willing to move as he sees how better i am in less poluted warmer places (i have m.e)
Its the fear of not being able to support the children really that holds me back
northernlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
getagrip
Inactive

Default The Ecocapsule Home

getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #14
sacredrealm

I would like to be as off grid as possible too and perhaps build something cheaply that covers only my needs but like most people buying land seems not so attainable yet. I'm thinking of renting an allotment anyway to grow things as I want to do that as part of things anyway, though I came across the odd story of people ending up staying in their sheds on those without being moved off. This is officially against the contract, but does anyone think if you were being a good example, in tune with nature etc and not doing any harm that you could get away with it sometimes? It just seems to be the only access I can think of for myself right now that doesn't involve loads of money, to a small plot, of which growing things would be part of other than choosing a random "abandoned" looking spot and hoping that it might be unregistered which I'm not sure where there would be any like that round where I am.
I feel I'm at the point where I'm prepared to experiment and try something whether or not its officially meant to be done. Though I'd feel silly signing a contract that states I can't do what I'd like. I just like the idea or hope that contracts can be bended slightly.

Last edited by sacredrealm; 21-12-2016 at 04:45 AM.
sacredrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
reverendjim
Inactive

off the grid is a nice idea. but you can never really disconnect totally. i see two options.

one is to own land. right off the bat you are paying taxes on that land. then you have to be mindful of how and what you construct to avoid regulatory entanglements....welcome back to the grid.

the other way is to not own land. lots of options there all of which involve money which means the grid.

the only people i have seen who are off the grid are the homeless and they still deal with the grid in lots of ways.

i dont think you can escape this grid. you can lessen its impact on your life somewhat but there is no escaping it right now.

governments are masters of the carrot and the stick. its what they do.

Last edited by reverendjim; 21-12-2016 at 01:08 PM.
reverendjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
kaito9

You can go almost off-grid if you use solar and wind energy in combination and geothermal if possible in your area. You will need to build a large tower to install multiple windmills and you will need place for solar panels or paint your house with solar paint.

kaito9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
grandmasterp
Banned

Solar panels can save you money on electricity bills.
Anybody who wants to live off grid completely though.
Good luck with that and enjoy your first winter.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
sacredrealm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjim View Post
off the grid is a nice idea. but you can never really disconnect totally. i see two options.

one is to own land. right off the bat you are paying taxes on that land. then you have to be mindful of how and what you construct to avoid regulatory entanglements....welcome back to the grid.

the other way is to not own land. lots of options there all of which involve money which means the grid.

the only people i have seen who are off the grid are the homeless and they still deal with the grid in lots of ways.

i dont think you can escape this grid. you can lessen its impact on your life somewhat but there is no escaping it right now.

governments are masters of the carrot and the stick. its what they do.
Oh yeah I understand.

I would like to lessen my impact and be as self sufficient and free as possible rather than not use money/internet etc.

What ways were you thinking of, without owning land?

I'm feeling I can have a go by renting a plot very cheaply but I may then technically be signing something that states I shouldn't "dwell" there etc. Though I'm sure people have managed to get away with it.

Last edited by sacredrealm; 21-12-2016 at 02:59 PM.
sacredrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #19
grandmasterp
Banned

Living simply is incredibly expensive.
Hence we all tend to live as we do.
It is cost-effective.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #20
iamawaveofthesea

Nick Rosen has a website that helps people who want to go offgrid meet up with other likeminded people through its 'landbuddy' scheme: http://www.off-grid.net/