Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Entertainment Industry

Old 01-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #61
jhar26

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
The only way I think they would today would be if the social and political climate was as it was in the 60s, or even the 70s if you think of the impact of punk. The record labels had to take it on board or go out of business. There's the famous story about the Motown boss Berry Gordy not wanting Marvin Gaye to release 'What's Going On?' and preferred him to stick with love songs. He changed his tune when so many people bought the record.

But yes, in general the music industry is controlled, because so many other sectors of society are controlled.
It's not only a matter of who's in control of the record labels, but also about who's in control of the media, and especially radio and television. In the 60's and 70's there was lots of socio-political commentary in popular music. Lots of anti-war songs. And some of them got airplay and became sizeable hits. It may not fit into "the counter culture was infiltrated and controlled by the CIA" narrarive, but the undeniable fact is that the music of the day, plus things like "Hanoi Jane (Fonda)" helped to raise public consciousness about the true nature of the Vietnam war. The powers that be have learned their lesson from those days. NEVER again will they allow scruffy rockers or other celebs to interfere with their agendas. "Just shut up and sing about the ass of your girlfriend. If not, you can kiss your career goodbye."

And the same is true for the media. They are no longer a seperate entity that is keeping a beedy eye on things. They are now best friends with - or even a major part of the powers that be. No more shocking footage or pictures from the victims in Syria like there had been in the Vietnam days. Now they are traveling with (are embedded with) "our boys" so that they identify with them and tell the story from their (and thus our) perspective.
jhar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #62
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
It's not only a matter of who's in control of the record labels, but also about who's in control of the media, and especially radio and television. In the 60's and 70's there was lots of socio-political commentary in popular music. Lots of anti-war songs. And some of them got airplay and became sizeable hits. It may not fit into "the counter culture was infiltrated and controlled by the CIA" narrarive, but the undeniable fact is that the music of the day, plus things like "Hanoi Jane (Fonda)" helped to raise public consciousness about the true nature of the Vietnam war. The powers that be have learned their lesson from those days. NEVER again will they allow scruffy rockers or other celebs to interfere with their agendas. "Just shut up and sing about the ass of your girlfriend. If not, you can kiss your career goodbye."

And the same is true for the media. They are no longer a seperate entity that is keeping a beedy eye on things. They are now best friends with - or even a major part of the powers that be. No more shocking footage or pictures from the victims in Syria like there had been in the Vietnam days. Now they are traveling with (are embedded with) "our boys" so that they identify with them and tell the story from their (and thus our) perspective.
Speaking of differing from the usual conspiracy narrative:

Until the launch of BBC Radio One in 1967, pop music in Britain was seen as something quite subversive and rebellious. What was the BBC doing up until then? Only five hours of recorded music per day was allowed; this was at the height of Beatlemania. Instead, the BBC Light Music Orchestra was employed to play live muzak versions of pop hits of the day. The presenters spoke in a very posh, 'Queen's English' way. Meanwhile, the pirate station Radio Caroline was playing all the records that the BBC wouldn't allow, so no prizes as to what the young people considered most cool.

When Radio One started, they brought in many of those pirate djs, so in a lot of ways, that was an example of the mainstream co-opting something that was seen as alternative, and it's happened many times since. By the time of the first Gulf War, it had got to a stage where a group such as Massive Attack changed their name, due to the implications re the war!

If those tv talent shows went out live, it'd be quite fun to see someone go on there and do a 'Howard Beale'. But that will never happen today.

Last edited by decode reality; 01-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #63
decode reality
Inactive

If we look around the world and see the repression artists have, in the West we have it much easier, I'll say that. We don't get slung in the nick for making political statements through music. Although John Lydon did get attacked in the streets in 1977 - 'God Save The Queen' can't have helped!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #64
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode reality View Post
If we look around the world and see the repression artists have, in the West we have it much easier, I'll say that. We don't get slung in the nick for making political statements through music. Although John Lydon did get attacked in the streets in 1977 - 'God Save The Queen' can't have helped!
Or perhaps as no-one has anything to say, there's no need for prison terms.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #65
rooey

I generally think that all the very best real artists in the west get destroyed/hobbled before they even can get close to doing their thing imo.

Anyone who is successful has been allowed to be.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #66
rooey

which is amazing, because their is a lot of 'good entertaining stuff' about. I cant even begin to imagine how good music could actually truly sound.

whats allowed, pushed, plays into limitation, separation, pick a side sort of stuff.

eg Rage against the machine .. Sure their message is in theory good but If we followed them to a tea their would be crazy amounts of bloodshed.

almost all recorded stuff is not even truly replicated, they have fucked with tuning for a while now and more recently recording around ww2.

There's probably not a person alive on this planet who knows what the 'best music' sounds like. Who would be born tuned to it based on their environment?

now before any 'music's subjective' get thrown about, I'd politely like to poo poo on that already and say if that's what you're going to, then I haven't explained myself well enough.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #67
wendypeace27

Old 10-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #68
elshaper
Inactive

Quote:
Chris Martin joined ex-wife Gwynnie on her honeymoon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evfwhn/...ost_type=share
...and it's LIVE on BBC now.

Last edited by elshaper; 10-01-2019 at 11:03 AM.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #69
kiwi_

I heard the opening riff to Yellow the other day and it took me right back to 2000. It was great
kiwi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #70
bamboozooka

gwinnie must like a spit roast.

the video for yellow will show you if your led tv is any good or not. i bought a samsung lcd tv like they had on the xbox360 demo pods. i thought it must be good. that video when he walks down the beach in slo mo and its blue, his face warps and distorts from side to side. it looked really bad.
bamboozooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #71
jake_ball

Quote:
Chris Martin joined ex-wife Gwynnie on her honeymoon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evfwhn/...ost_type=share
Quote:
Originally Posted by elshaper View Post
...and it's LIVE on BBC now.

Chris Martin reminds me of Frank Spencer.

The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself. ||| The words that I type onto this forum are NOT my opinions, nor are they my beliefs, they are simply just words and letters on a screen ||| Any thread that I start is not really meant as a debate, it's really just a friendly discussion
jake_ball is offline   Reply With Quote